Granolah Arc Discussion and Open Questions

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Granolah Arc Discussion and Open Questions

Post by Geraldo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:28 pm

The arc had ended but is left with some major plot holes and issues. (After fixing a typo on the 1st edit, I will openly ask any troll to stay out AKA put in it's basement).

1. Given that Granolah was stuck on Planet Cereal alongside Monaito and the Sugarians, he somehow managed to become a child hitman who took out targets before Elec and Gas came to recruit him; how did he managed to do so? Monaito never supplied him with a spaceship and piloting skills nor targets and neither did the Sugarians.

2. What's the story behind Oatmeel? It's name is fitting the Cerealite pun, but it's not clear when was it created nor by whom? It wasn't on Granolah when he was a child, that's for sure.

3. Why did Toyotaro and Toriyama thought that writing Bardock into this mess as a character who had underwent such a drastic change in his modus operandi and then will resume taking part in the genocide of other races, will be a good idea?

4. Why did Elec became both stupid (after being established as a threat in intelligence, if not in power) and the generic Dragon Ball villain at the final chapters of the arc, who is willing to sacrifice his own family if it suits his goals and who doesn't cares at all about them?

5. What had happened to the Heeters' subordinates manpower and HQ? Also, what has become with OG-7-3i? Even the pilots they have brought to Planet Cereal were never seen again after the battle against Granolah begun (those of Macki and Oil) and after Frieza crash landed the party (those who flew Elec and Gas).

6. What purpose did this story accomplished in it's full run? Besides placing Frieza on top of the power creep again after a long time, and showing how fragile a wish to become the Universe Strongest Warrior can truly be?

7. What were the questions that Macki and Oil asked Zuno? There were 10 of these... Not that it saved the Heeters by the end of the story/saga.
Last edited by Geraldo on Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Granolah Arc Discussion and Open Questions

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:38 pm

I don't think you understand what a major plothole actually is

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:48 pm

You have already been warned about reporting posts that aren't actually against the rules. People disagreeing with you isn't a problem. If this happens again, another strike will in fact be added against your account.

OLKv3 is absolutely right -- it’s impossible to have this conversation when your entire premise is misguided at best, and false at worse. I would simply add onto it that "things that aren't explained in excruciating detail aren't plotholes; they're just things that aren't explained in excruciating detail."

Additionally, things you don't personally like are likewise also not "plotholes".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:07 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:48 pm You have already been warned about reporting posts that aren't actually against the rules. People disagreeing with you isn't a problem. If this happens again, another strike will in fact be added against your account.

OLKv3 is absolutely right -- it’s impossible to have this conversation when your entire premise is misguided at best, and false at worse. I would simply add onto it that "things that aren't explained in excruciating detail aren't plotholes; they're just things that aren't explained in excruciating detail."

Additionally, things you don't personally like are likewise also not "plotholes".
When I went to school bullying was strictly prohibited and spoken against, but u seem to think that cyber bullying makes u look "manly"; here's the thing, it's not. Just the opposite.
I will speak my mind and don't mind if AS USUAL u will lose ur cool over it and will bitch about it as u always have done in most of ur comments that I have seen through the years.
what will u do? block my account. Ohh, I'm sure that will help u prove ur point... Not.
Each time u reply to anyone, ur frustration and rage are showing. Maybe it's time to pack it up and move to other ventures. ur clearly not a good moderator, even if ur paying for all of these pages and forums to be online.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:31 pm

Geraldo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:28 pm3. Why did Toyotaro and Toriyama thought that writing Bardock into this mess as a character who had underwent such a drastic change in his modus operandi and then will resume taking part in the genocide of other races, will be a good idea?
I suppose you're talking about Bardock saving lives but then proceeding to slaughter everybody else. If so, it's something to question about but far from being a "major plothole". Thing is, how many missions did Bardock go after that one, realistically speaking? We can confirm one, thanks to Dragon Ball Minus, but do we know if there were female ones and kids among them?

In the past, Granolah saga takes place in AGE 737 and the Saiyans would be killed two years after that, so I'm willing to assume that Bardock went in two, maybe three missions after that one. I'm taking into consideration the time it took to go and to return. Maybe in those few missions there weren't any families, and even if there were, we don't know if Bardock actually killed them.
Geraldo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:28 pm6. What purpose did this story accomplished in it's full run? (...) and showing how fragile a wish to become the Universe Strongest Warrior can truly be?
I mean, we don't know if the drawback would still happen with Porunga or Shenlong (it would probably be, so that things wouldn't be that easy, but who knows? Maybe they wouldn't have the "shorten the lifespan" issue).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:51 pm

The entire saga is a big mixed bag of both bad and good. The pacing sucked with not much happening, the bad changes to the story, and the heaters being lame villains. I admit that having a bad guy kill a main villain is nice, but I wish it didn't come out of nowhere.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:40 am

About 7-3, I'm wondering if Moro might lie dormant within him because we still haven't heard anything about the exact fate of Moro's soul. I could imagine that he simply got sent to Hell by Enma but given that Moro took some inspiration from previous villains(not to mention their designs), I could see him pulling a Cell and returning when everyone thought he was dead. It could be the result of an unexpected perk in 7-3's design in which anyone who shared a body with the machine was saved & stored into it's memory. Or perhaps the Angel powers allowed Moro to live on in 7-3 and he is attempting to regain control of the body but it's taking some time?
I just don't feel like we've seen the absolute last of Moro and that he could be hiding behind the scenes in the latest part of the story.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:27 am

1. Given that Granolah was stuck on Planet Cereal alongside Monaito and the Sugarians, he somehow managed to become a child hitman who took out targets before Elec and Gas came to recruit him; how did he managed to do so? Monaito never supplied him with a spaceship and piloting skills nor targets and neither did the Sugarians.[
2. What's the story behind Oatmeel? It's name is fitting the Cerealite pun, but it's not clear when was it created nor by whom? It wasn't on Granolah when he was a child, that's for sure.
I feel like that's stuff where the anime can expand on one day. There is a long timeframe where we don't have all the details as of now.
I could see him getting a spaceship from the Sugarians though.
Definitely curious about Oatmeels origin as well :)
3. Why did Toyotaro and Toriyama thought that writing Bardock into this mess as a character who had underwent such a drastic change in his modus operandi and then will resume taking part in the genocide of other races, will be a good idea?
I think there are always moments in life where you question yourself about the things you are doing, without taking immediate action. Some things can take years, same here with Bardock. Next mission was already planned, so.. business as usual. I think it connects nicely with Minus.
4. Why did Elec became both stupid (after being established as a threat in intelligence, if not in power) and the generic Dragon Ball villain at the final chapters of the arc, who is willing to sacrifice his own family if it suits his goals and who doesn't cares at all about them?
Things didn't go to plan and he got desperate. But the plan to sacrifice Gas he had quite early already and the damage was done once the wish was made.
5. What had happened to the Heeters' subordinates manpower and HQ? Also, what has become with OG-7-3i? Even the pilots they have brought to Planet Cereal were never seen again after the battle against Granolah begun (those of Macki and Oil) and after Frieza crash landed the party (those who flew Elec and Gas).
I mean, we didn't learn what happened to Frieza's people for decades, so it's not too important to be explained now. It can became a future plot point though or something the anime expands on.
6. What purpose did this story accomplished in it's full run? Besides placing Frieza on top of the power creep again after a long time, and showing how fragile a wish to become the Universe Strongest Warrior can truly be?
That, and overall development for both Goku and Vegeta. More lore.
7. What were the questions that Macki and Oil asked Zuno? There were 10 of these... Not that it saved the Heeters by the end of the story/saga.
Based on the in-between pages of Vol. 16, it appears like Maki even kissed Zuno three times... So maybe even 30 in total.
But I think we can more or less guess which questions.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:37 pm

Most of those questions do not resonate with me, nor are plotholes in the slightest. I'm actually more interested in knowing the truth behind Toronbo, why only 2 spheres, no cooldown, a dragon that walks you through your wish, etc.

Omori gave good answers to questions 3, 4, and 5, I'd add to Q6 that it also seemed to be a prelude to the following Freeza arc. We still don't know who shifted the balance of the universe, or what that actually means, so I'm pretty sure this story is part of a bigger one yet to come.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:58 am

Geraldo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:28 pm

Making forum threads like this is inherently an anti-social dick move.

You could have said

"I feel that T&T shoehorned in Bardock, and that his character development doesn't gel with how we spent the next couple of years still working for Freeza, did they really think this was a good idea? Do you agree? Am I missing something here? Does anyone have an alternate take?"

You are forcing people to accept your bias premise before replying or argue with it before being able to answer the question it's just bad posting. And then you flip out on the mod, who is completely correct in this instance, calling him a bully because he held you accountable for your lousy actions.

Post better. This isn't how people talk to other people.

I mean if you want to be petty and sling shit around don't have GT avatar while talking about bad writing. Glass houses and all that.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:15 am

TobyS wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:58 am
Geraldo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:28 pm

Making forum threads like this is inherently an anti-social dick move.
Ohh, I forgot that u, a guy who had been whining about Yamcha and Bulma's breakup forever, were the only one entitled to have an opinion or the legitimacy of posting threads here. How could I forget that./s

Talking about being an anti-social dick. :clap:
TobyS wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:58 am You could have said

"I feel that T&T shoehorned in Bardock, and that his character development doesn't gel with how we spent the next couple of years still working for Freeza, did they really think this was a good idea? Do you agree? Am I missing something here? Does anyone have an alternate take?"

You are forcing people to accept your bias premise before replying or argue with it before being able to answer the question it's just bad posting. And then you flip out on the mod, who is completely correct in this instance, calling him a bully because he held you accountable for your lousy actions.

Post better. This isn't how people talk to other people.
1st - learn how to use the Enter button better for spacing in ur quotation of me, it's not so good.

I'm not even moved by the tiniest of bit by ur response. It's quite obvious that u have some kind of issues with me (a Yamcha fan, nonetheless), my writing and my opinions. I'm not falling for this crusade of urs.

And I'm not the only one who thinks mike is a cyber bully. Check one of the other threads u came to try and preach me in. It's there. Also, ask many others on Reddit and elsewhere and you'll get the same notion. Blocked and people who left this forum on their free will, alike.

If u want to play the replies police so badly, ask mike for a role in this forum.
TobyS wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:58 am I mean if you want to be petty and sling shit around don't have GT avatar while talking about bad writing. Glass houses and all that.
Is that the best u have got? #petty. :)

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:37 am

You just made this thread to fight, didn't you? You're not responding to anyone who actually answered your questions

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:29 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:37 am You just made this thread to fight, didn't you? You're not responding to anyone who actually answered your questions
Unlike u, I didn't came here to 'fight'. I'm quite satisfied with the answers I have actually gotten. Sadly, there is no "like" button to express that.

I would be just as happy if not happier if a mod would actually trim down ur trolling attempt, mike's tantrum to back u up, tobys' aggression, and my calling these out; AND WILL ONLY LEAVE IN THE ACTUALL COMMENTS.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:08 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:37 am You just made this thread to fight, didn't you? You're not responding to anyone who actually answered your questions
From a thread called "Discussion and Open Questions" that was basically just him saying things he doesn't like about the arc/its contents/its characters & otherwise nitpicking to hell, what do you think lmao