Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - Ten Years.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - Ten Years.

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:59 pm

WHO'S OLD? YOU ARE!
:lol:

Holy father of Dende... After the Tarble OVA and the Bardock OVA, we are "finally" (!?) here! How can it be? I remember vividly when I went to check this movie in theaters, and now you're telling me it has been ten years already!? Did I oversleep at some point?

Oh boy, we sure have come a long, long way since then. A lot happened, mostly stuff we couldn't even have imagined back then. I mean, the return of a series was probably what everyone wished for after the release of this movie, and while we would have to wait two more years for that, we still couldn't have anticipated anything, let alone the way it did. This is all for better or worse, of course, as there were ups and downs along the way. But at the end of the day, what truly matters for all of us is the amount of new content we got (and for the powers that be, their income!).

So, the movie that started everything is turning ten years this year. The very first one to introduce us to the world of recolors, but also the one to introduce (on-screen) a new god and his assistant, both eventually becoming pretty much a mainstay throughout the following years. It's a very nice "slice of life" movie (even though we kinda already had one a few years earlier, but since that OVA still hasn't been released worldwide, I guess it doesn't count), but still managed to be very important for all its content and lore it brought to the table. The Super Saiyan God transformation, God of Destruction Beerus and the angel Whis all left their own impressions, but more importantly, it is the movie that added the goddamn awesome Multiverse concept! Sure, we would later find out that Dragon Ball would handle it quite differently from the way the West handles it, but at that time, it was a huge deal that made even me participate in theories discussions, and I'm not one to keep theorizing about anything.

Anyway, I don't know if knowing that this movie is a decade old is a cause for celebration or a cause for sadness in realizing we're all getting old really fast. But at any rate, share your experience with the movie and what you remember from 2013 with us!

Happy anniversary, Movie 14! :D

(The specific anniversary date is March 30th, but there's no reason to wait for that. In these occasions, I believe the entire year can be for celebration. Hence why I'm creating this thread now, as I've done for the other two).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - Ten Years.

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:02 pm

It's wild to think that it's been ten years already. I was such a different person back then! Heck, I liked Yamamuro's modern designs, too! :p

It's such a shame the directing, animation and music let the actors and script down. I thought that it was without a doubt one of the most exciting set of performances from the cast in years.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:26 pm

The 10th anniversary is on March 30th. To me, 2013 is still very fresh in the movie seeing that I was in my early 2000s at the time. It was something big to get something DB related that wans't some small OVA or Kai for once.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:06 pm

Funny how time flies, and crazy how it was the first new Dragon Ball movie in seventeen years. After a massive gap of time that large BOG definitely lived up to the hype. It is still my second favorite of the modern revival era films just behind Super Broly.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:26 pm The 10th anniversary is on March 30th. To me, 2013 is still very fresh in the movie seeing that I was in my early 2000s at the time.
Sorry, I laughed at this. :lol: I know you meant early 20s.

I haven't seen anything post-GT, but Battle of Gods looks enjoyable based off the Kakarot DLCs which adapt it.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:14 am

Dr. Casey wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:33 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:26 pm The 10th anniversary is on March 30th. To me, 2013 is still very fresh in the movie seeing that I was in my early 2000s at the time.
Sorry, I laughed at this. :lol: I know you meant early 20s.
Yeah, I didn't realize it after I wrote it. It sucks that you can't re-edit your post after you post it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:27 am

It's crazy that it's been ten years. The revival is lasting as long as the original series and we're still in the final ten year timeskip :P.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:07 pm

I forgot that the Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman manga is also turning ten years old this year. Not my fault, though. Ten years later and it still hasn't been adapted into an anime yet. Maybe this thread can serve to celebrate the manga. So if you want to talk about that here, go ahead and do it!
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:26 pmTo me, 2013 is still very fresh in the movie seeing that I was in my early 2000s at the time
Amazing! :P

Skar wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:27 amIt's crazy that it's been ten years. The revival is lasting as long as the original series and we're still in the final ten year timeskip :P.
When you put it in that way it makes things be even more egregious. It's like characters aging and the sense of progression weren't (an important and interesting) part of the series. And I feel as time goes on, looking back to this will just get progressively worse: "... and around this time, Dragon Ball got the Ash Ketchum's/Peter Pan's syndrome, all characters suddenly stop getting older and we were also stuck in that time frame for quite some time, both from an in-universe and out-universe perspectives".

It's really sad if you ask me. I don't think I'll ever understand this decision.
Dr. Casey wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:33 pmI haven't seen anything post-GT, but Battle of Gods looks enjoyable based off the Kakarot DLCs which adapt it.
Eh, you're better off just watching the movie. The DLC is pretty lame conpared to the movie (and especially if compared to Trunks DLC).

~ Day of the Machines ~

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:00 pm

Ten years. Man, how time flies.

BoG was great fun, and a great way to revitalize the DB saga with a new antagonist and the promise of a new world to explore.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:26 pm

10 years and Beerus is still undefeated. Not in my wildest dreams I thought this movie would kickstart the franchise for over a decade.

Even though I enjoyed it a lot, I still can't get past the greasy look everybody got until the ToP. At least it's not stupid like RoF.

Beerus and Whis really surpassed my expectations, and I never thought Goku would overcome SSG by that much. That new world of power introduced back then, by now is just child's play.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:26 pm

Time really flies when your having fun (i.e. being an adult) eh? I still remember the hype like it was yesterday, new Dragon Ball was such a novelty at the time, even now we're spoiled with the manga ongoing, and to a lesser extent the promotional Super Dragon Ball Heroes anime.

I enjoyed Battle of Gods the first time I seen it, which was at the Nom Con convention in Dublin on August 3, 2014 in which Chris Sabat kindly screened a copy of the English dub Funimation provided him with. I believe this was the first time the dub was shown publicly.

Even though the animation doesn't hold up I think it's still a fun little movie for what it is, in some ways kind of like an extended version of Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return, and the best of the revival era movies when it comes to world building, even just for the 12 universes revelation and introduction of the God of Destruction concept.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:07 pmWhen you put it in that way it makes things be even more egregious. It's like characters aging and the sense of progression weren't (an important and interesting) part of the series. And I feel as time goes on, looking back to this will just get progressively worse: "... and around this time, Dragon Ball got the Ash Ketchum's/Peter Pan's syndrome, all characters suddenly stop getting older and we were also stuck in that time frame for quite some time, both from an in-universe and out-universe perspectives".
There is some progress since 4 or 5 years have passed in-universe. It's not as bad as some series with the characters remaining the same age for decades even while celeberating birthdays or anniversaries.

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:27 am

10 years. It really has been a long time. At that time I wouldn't have imagined that the franchise would have a revival, and I couldn't tell if the Bardock stuff was a hoax or not.

I liked the setting of where the events took place better in the movie where the encounter with Beerus and Whis was on land, as opposed to the TV series where the events and battle took place on the ship.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:32 am

Skar wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 pm
Grimlock wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:07 pmWhen you put it in that way it makes things be even more egregious. It's like characters aging and the sense of progression weren't (an important and interesting) part of the series. And I feel as time goes on, looking back to this will just get progressively worse: "... and around this time, Dragon Ball got the Ash Ketchum's/Peter Pan's syndrome, all characters suddenly stop getting older and we were also stuck in that time frame for quite some time, both from an in-universe and out-universe perspectives".
There is some progress since 4 or 5 years have passed in-universe. It's not as bad as some series with the characters remaining the same age for decades even while celeberating birthdays or anniversaries.
But that pretty much is what happened until Dragon Ball Super Super Hero. Despite years passing everyone who wasn't Gohan and Videl appeared to be locked in their age of the Buu saga. This is how we got Trunks and Goten still being kids and Marron still being a toddler and Bulma only turning 38 (and given Mai's statement about turning 40, no we weren't suppose to think Bulma was lying)

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:32 amBut that pretty much is what happened until Dragon Ball Super Super Hero. Despite years passing everyone who wasn't Gohan and Videl appeared to be locked in their age of the Buu saga. This is how we got Trunks and Goten still being kids and Marron still being a toddler and Bulma only turning 38 (and given Mai's statement about turning 40, no we weren't suppose to think Bulma was lying)
I'm not sure about Bulma since that would make her younger than in the Buu saga. I guess for the kids it might've been laziness and Toriyama didn't want to come up with a new design until they were close enough to their EoZ age. He could've used Trunks' design from his special chapter but then would've needed to draw Goten to look that age. What I meant is that time is moving forward since it's getting close to the end of this timeskip.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:27 pm

It's crazy. On one hand, certain things that date back to that time seem like they were so long ago (which makes me happy because time isn't flying by), but on the other hand, it feels like this movie came out a few years ago (which is scary).

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:53 pm

I may not be old...at all...but I definitely feel for y'all who waited a whole decade for next big Dragon Ball animation project and stuff. I don't think I could be that patient to wait that long lol.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:41 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:53 pm I may not be old...at all...but I definitely feel for y'all who waited a whole decade for next big Dragon Ball animation project and stuff. I don't think I could be that patient to wait that long lol.
It's wild to think back to it because Dragon Ball had always been over once I got into it in 1998 and the real wait was mostly just in waiting for fansub tapes or official releases to come out. Once Dragon Ball GT was released by FUNimation and up until the 2008 special Dragon Ball was in such a lull period, it was actually really nice. That lull gave me an excuse to focus on other hobbies, like Gundam. lulz
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:39 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:53 pm I may not be old...at all...but I definitely feel for y'all who waited a whole decade for next big Dragon Ball animation project and stuff. I don't think I could be that patient to wait that long lol.
It's a nice nostalgia trip if a series I enjoyed as a kid does return for a little while like with the recent Hey Arnold and Invader Zim films, Digimon Tri, and Rebuild of Evangelion. Those were unexpected so I wasn't really waiting for them to happen and I've always been fine with a series ending for good.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:40 am

Skar wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 pmThere is some progress since 4 or 5 years have passed in-universe.
It's just superficial progress. You are not able to tell years have gone by judging by the characters' look or because it was stated. You could say from Tarble OVA to Dragon Ball Super Broly (or to Granolah saga) that they all take place in the span of two to three years at most (and that is thanks to Pan's and Bra's birth, which we presume both Videl and Bulma waited the usual nine months of pregnancy).

The series doesn't even attempt to give any specific timeskip, nowadays they're either going for the generic and vague "sometime later" or they don't even mention a timeskip at all. You are only able to tell years have gone by because luckily there are those in the fanbase who pay attention to this important aspect.
Skar wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 pmIt's not as bad as some series with the characters remaining the same age for decades even while celeberating birthdays or anniversaries.
It is just as bad. The difference is that those characters are (probably) supposed to remain frozen in time. Them aging up is not part of the franchise, so that's why we (well, most of us. I personally do get distracted from a series that don't age their characters) can ignore this part. We don't go and watch Pokémon to see Ash growing up, we see him to capture Pokémon and win events. But as far as I can tell you, it's just as bad.

~ Day of the Machines ~