Why was the Malay dub never released on VCD?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Why was the Malay dub never released on VCD?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:46 pm

For those unaware, there was indeed dubs of original Dragon Ball, Z and GT in Malaysia's native language in addition to the English dubs released on VCD by Soeedy Video. These dubs, from what I've gathered aired on TV2 sometime in the late 90s and early 2000s, and the series was a major success in Malaysia as it was in many other countries.

That said, recordings of these Malay dubs, if any (and I'd have to imagine there were fans who recorded them) appear to be lost to time as none are circulating. I've talked to fans from Malaysia and other dub collectors, and like the Animax, Kohavision and Cambodian versions no one seems to know if they are out there.

What seems strange is that Speedy Video, who dubbed the movies, specials and some episodes in English and also distributed Funimation's original edited Z dub with the Ocean cast on VCD never released any of the Malay dub on the format. Has anyone heard an explanation for this?

I know the legality of the Speedy dubs themselves is sketchy, but surely sourcing TV recordings of a locally produced and airing dub would have been a better business decision than dubbing for what was probably a smaller English-speaking market.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: