Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 89 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 89 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:38 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:45 am On topic: What many pointed out and It’s getting hard to use to is how basically Trunks isn’t really cool. They portrayed him in GT closer to his future self snd it’s hard to shrug it off.
But maybe the characterization is on point, as this basically is the Kid Trunks but older and I wonder if there will be some character growth, or if he will stay that way.
Long story short, Trunks is kind of an idiot? :lol:
And I like Goten a lot, I want more of him.
The prev chap had Trunks note that he was too busy playing hero to study, while Toyotaro notes in his Saiyaman X-1 + X-2 drawing session/interview that Blue Hal HS is a pretty elite school in which Goten had to study really hard to get in while Trunks coasted by on his natural born genius (tho he hasn't studied at all since he got in, so he's close to dropping out).

BWri wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:30 pm On the surface level I like the arc so far, but idk, a lot of this doesn't really feel organic. Feels like stuff is just happening.

Goten and Trunks are now the new Great Saiyamen. Okay, why? Did they get Gohan's blessing?

I get that they are thrill-seeking due to the current time of peace (and no one inviting them to battles) but last time we saw them comment on Gohan's stint as Saiyaman, they thought he was a cornball and if they were inspired by this new Mr. Clean Tokusatsu, why use the Saiyaman identity? Why not Clean Boy 1 and Clean Boy 2 or some-such.

That said, I'm having fun with it so far. It's moving fairly quickly so I think we might be in DBS: SH territory as soon as the next 2 chapters which is a shame, because just like with Gohan, I'd like more teen Goten and Trunks shenanigans.

For what it's worth, in SH they think the Gammas are cool, so I guess they like superheroes in general now, & they immediately & eagerly hop in to fight as soon as Cell Max shows up. Though you are right that the original Saiyaman hasn't been brought up or mentioned in this arc yet, which is odd, but I'm pretty sure Gohan'll show up at some point to exposit. Him & his transforming watch is mentioned in the prev chapter, plus they do mention they don't want to crib/copy too much from Clean God after they stole his poses & catchphrases.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:04 pm

Pretty meh chapter. I hope this story arc won't go on for two years like the other two did.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:01 pm

Konja7 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:33 am
YamiGoku wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:41 pm I think the Dragon Ball world feels more real this way, because it would be weird for a high School to have only white students and teachers.
To be fair, it would be impossible a school in Dragon Ball have only white students and teachers, since most characters are likely Japanese. I mean, I know Goku and Vegeta are saiyan, but their races are likely more similar to Asians than Whites.

The Mukokuseki style could make it difficult to differentiate between white and asian characters.
I think you missed my other post, but yeah, they are supposed to be asian, It was a mistake, my bad.

I really like this chapter, but is painful to have to wait a month for the next one, I don't want Toyotaro to become one of those overworked mangakas with health issues, but I wish we could have the manga weekly or bi weekly at least.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:16 pm

So, at first I'll admit that I was a little excited for an arc that started with slice of life with Goten and Trunks but despite that this is based off one of my favorite parts of the original, the slice of life/saiyaman/highschool life of Gohan, I can't stand this.

First the biggest difference was that Gohan had a lot of development and seeing this part of his life felt like a fun little reward whereas Goten and Trunks has been stale little energetic kids for ages without the arcs and growth Gohan did, so unlike with Gohan who I was happy to see take it easy, the only thing I see is them being goofballs which is what they were since their introduction.

Second my biggest issue and I know "just get over it", is that I can't like this Trunks x Mai relationship that was introduced in Super. I just really hate it and still feel like it only happened because in Super they wanted to bring back older characters and VAs. Now this of course is a big problem for me since the entire crux of the arc seems to be about Trunks trying to get Mai to like him and how Mai is going to fall for him. Ugh! Really, am I going to have to sit through several chapters of a 60 year old and a highschool kid trying to get together?? Thank god the genders aren't reversed or else everyone would be screaming "grooming" like that magical kid anime.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:59 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:55 pm It seems Saiyaman X-2 red cape was the inspiration for Gamma 1 cape. Wonder if he will already be created in the next chapter. In the beginning of Super Hero when Hedo is talking about Heroes, Gamma 1 is already shown among others, but it's not made clear if he had already been created before Hedo got arrested.
Isn't Gamma 1's design based on a actual super hero that exists in the universe? In DBSSH when Magenta is viewing some pictures of Hedo, He's shown asking for an autograph from the random superhero guy (which resembles Cleangod) and in the background there's another guy autographing papers and he's disguised as a Superhero that looks identical to Gamma 1, I believe it's what that another scene when they're inside the car was meant to represent.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:13 pm

I want to talk about something weird, Beta said in a very clean and high voice Hedo's name, Goten heard it and probably Trunks too, at the current moment of the arc, none of them know how is Hedo phisically, but they heard his name, Bulma in the end of DBSSH says Hedo's name, and when she says it, Goten and Trunks were already unfused, they were next to everyone, they clearly heard Bulma saying Hedo's name, and they just doen't have any reaction.
Amnesia or something? Maybe It's too early to come to a conclusion, but it's weird anyway.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:33 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:38 pm The prev chap had Trunks note that he was too busy playing hero to study, while Toyotaro notes in his Saiyaman X-1 + X-2 drawing session/interview that Blue Hal HS is a pretty elite school in which Goten had to study really hard to get in while Trunks coasted by on his natural born genius (tho he hasn't studied at all since he got in, so he's close to dropping out).

Glad this was talked about as it was the vibe I was picking up from the last two chapters. Trunks has incredible natural talent in many areas but is only driven by what he's interested in while Goten is lighthearted like Goku and responsible like Gohan. It's not that Goten is smarter than Trunks, he just cares more about academia. I absolutely love stuff like this. If Tori/Toyo keep this characterization going and keep it consistent, I would really get excited about the series again.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:55 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:13 pm I want to talk about something weird, Beta said in a very clean and high voice Hedo's name, Goten heard it and probably Trunks too, at the current moment of the arc, none of them know how is Hedo phisically, but they heard his name, Bulma in the end of DBSSH says Hedo's name, and when she says it, Goten and Trunks were already unfused, they were next to everyone, they clearly heard Bulma saying Hedo's name, and they just doen't have any reaction.
Amnesia or something? Maybe It's too early to come to a conclusion, but it's weird anyway.
Since Trunks &Goten were outside the circle, having no reaction to hearing Dr. Hedo in the movie when Gotenks caught it before in the prequel isn't really a problem.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:00 am

Miracles wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:55 pm Since Trunks &Goten were outside the circle, having no reaction to hearing Dr. Hedo in the movie when Gotenks caught it before in the prequel isn't really a problem.
For me that's hard to believe, but I'll stay true to that belief for now, one thing they can't do in this arc though is make Goten & Trunks see how Hedo is physically, it would definitely mess it up (or they are just blind at the end of DBSSH)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:29 am

The manga could also just adapt SH proper with minor changes to account for different character knowledge, if it indeed goes into the main events of the film.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:16 am

So this new arc is fun and all, but... um... Mai is a pedophile. They're still ignoring the fact that she's an old woman, only now she's attracted to teenagers too.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:09 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:16 am So this new arc is fun and all, but... um... Mai is a pedophile. They're still ignoring the fact that she's an old woman, only now she's attracted to teenagers too.
Well, to be fair she is not into Trunks, but into Saiyaman X1, who is Trunks but she doesn't know that, the only Trunks she was interested in was Future Trunks, who was already an adult.

that being said,I won't be surprised if she ends up with this Trunks in the future, this is from Japan, the country that gives us dozens of Isekais where the protagonist is a full grown adult in the body of a teen dating or even having relationships with teenage girls.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:24 pm

Chapter was okay, not super into whats going on but i'm keeping an open mind. Just hope there's a decent payoff by the end of it, like maybe Trunks and Goten end up joining PIccolo in infiltrating the Red Ribbon Base and actually being their full stop for the final Gamma 1, 2 and Cell Max show down.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:21 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:09 pm
fadeddreams5 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:16 am So this new arc is fun and all, but... um... Mai is a pedophile. They're still ignoring the fact that she's an old woman, only now she's attracted to teenagers too.
Well, to be fair she is not into Trunks, but into Saiyaman X1, who is Trunks but she doesn't know that, the only Trunks she was interested in was Future Trunks, who was already an adult.

that being said,I won't be surprised if she ends up with this Trunks in the future, this is from Japan, the country that gives us dozens of Isekais where the protagonist is a full grown adult in the body of a teen dating or even having relationships with teenage girls.
And America has movies and shows like BIG, 14 Going on 40, the Twilight Saga, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and so on. So let's not pretend as if the West is somehow clean.

As for Mai, there's something people are deliberately ignoring. She is basically isekai'd into a younger version of herself. Which also means her Physical Development and Temperament is no longer that of an Adult's. That includes hormones and proteins in the brain. Having memories of being an adult doesn't change or give you control over what your body is going through. It doesn't change basic biology.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:45 pm

So it seems like Hedo is going to base Gamma 1 off of Saiyaman X design. Now if that is the case we shouldn't be to far from this arc wrapping up with Hedo going to jail.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:34 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:00 am For me that's hard to believe, but I'll stay true to that belief for now, one thing they can't do in this arc though is make Goten & Trunks see how Hedo is physically, it would definitely mess it up (or they are just blind at the end of DBSSH)
I think it's worth bearing in mind that both Goten and Trunks are irresponsible and dumb when it comes to things they don't care about. Hearing the name of some random dude wouldn't stick in their minds. I don't expect them to remember unless Hedo does something huge.
So is Roshi, considering Bulma was very much a young teenager when he was ogling her.

But, as problematic as that is with a modern lens, it was played for a joke. This whole Mai thing is being played super straight, so I hope there's some reckoning with the fact that she's a woman at least in her late 40s. I'd take something as trivial as "her mind has reverted to that of someone her physical age" or something.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:36 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:09 pm

Doesn't Mai imagine Saiyanman X1 to be Future Trunks? She Trunks save Mai and she wakes up, she imagines Future Trunks since he has a sword.
Future Trunks is a adult.

Now if Mai doesn't think it is Future Trunks, then for her Saiyanman X1 is unknown along with his age.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:12 pm

TKA wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:34 pmI'd take something as trivial as "her mind has reverted to that of someone her physical age" or something.
That seems to be what they've been going with lately, despite Battle of Gods having the Pilaf Gang trying to act like adults. This arc is definitely going to take the relationship somewhere since Trunks is the main character right now, either having them get together or having it all fizzle out with the punchline of Mai's age coming up and creeping Trunks out. It's probably the first option, but the I can totally see the second option happening too.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:42 pm

Speaking of this, does bulma remember who the Pilaf gang is now or not? because if she knows who they are, she knows Mai is an old woman, and she knows how Trunks feels about her, and she put her on the same school with him so he can hit on her?

yes, she said it was to not be suspicious with her working on CC, but that seemed more like an excuse to put her on Trunks school.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:41 pm

This shouldn't be a monthly comic. The content here isn't worth the wait.