Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 89 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 89 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:19 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 89

ライバル出現!
Raibaru Shutsugen!
A Rival Appears!

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: January 20, 2023
Publication: V-Jump, March 2023 Issue
Cost: ¥620

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: January 19, 2023 (timed to the JP midnight-on-January-21st release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 89 were posted on January 13 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 89. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads so many years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.

Q: I want to learn more about what's going on with this manga's production!

A: Check out Episode #0489 of our podcast for an extreme deep-dive (with all the receipts you can eat!) into the production of the manga, including all of the ways that Toyotaro, Akira Toriyama, and Victory Uchida each individually contribute to it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 89 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by nineko » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:08 am

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:19 pmINTERNATIONAL:
Date: January 19, 2021 (timed to the JP midnight-on-January-21st release)
Is this correct?

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:58 am

Drafts are out.

So much for that disc not containing anything important when it contains the initial data for Cell (& thus the basis for Cell Max) lmao

SH-era Bra is nice to see & that she's a tech wiz like her mom here (not saying she might not have been one in GT but we never got to see it or her have inclinations of it).

The rest, including what we already heard prior of Mai joining Trunks' school (to avoid uncomfortable questions for Bulma about why she got a teen working as company labour 😵) & new guy/probable Hedo infiltration Android "Beta" (lol), are about what I expected, besides more Trunks balling/shooting hoops

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:24 am

More leaks are out. Seems like another win chapter.
Present Trunks in this arc will have cooler moments than he had in the entity of DBS so far. Goten on other hand I'm not sure. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:05 am

Leaks dropped.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:46 pm

From the summary looks like I'm gonna love this chapter, my only complain is that Trunks is a bit too dumb, still, this continues to be a refreshing change of phase.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:20 pm

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:26 pm

So.. does that mean Buluma knows Mai is older?

Also, I guess that settles the costume matter, they think their costumes are cool unlike Beta's and probably Gohan's

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:55 pm

Bra looks like kid bulma in Jaco manga and Hedo really is a cool character.

As much as I didn't like Cell Max and would rather to have new villain in the movie, it made sense they developed a new one due to the context (Hedo working for Red Ribbon and having access to Cell data).

It seems Saiyaman X-2 red cape was the inspiration for Gamma 1 cape. Wonder if he will already be created in the next chapter. In the beginning of Super Hero when Hedo is talking about Heroes, Gamma 1 is already shown among others, but it's not made clear if he had already been created before Hedo got arrested.

Since most DBS arcs usually give a new power up, I would like Trunks/Goten to unlock SSJ2. Probably not gonna happen, since we already got Beast Gohan and Orange Piccolo. Although it wouldn't contradict the movie since they fight Cell Max in base and then resort to fusion.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:04 pm

I like how much dialogue the side characters are getting. The development is really nice.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Aizamasu

Post by Aizamasu » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:07 pm

I’ve really enjoyed both this and the last chapter. Hopefully Toyotaro can keep it up.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:34 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:55 pm It seems Saiyaman X-2 red cape was the inspiration for Gamma 1 cape. Wonder if he will already be created in the next chapter.
Gamma 1 is way too strong for Trunks and Goten, so I'm gonna assume it's a different Android he is making.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:50 pm

Toyotarou is on a roll, man. This chapter was so enjoyable, now I really look forward to the rest of this arc.

All the gags were hilarious! Bra fixing the computer, Beta trying to catch Trunks, and Dr. Hedo fanboying over Saiyaman X-1 and X-2 were the ones that stood out to me.

It does seem that the disc actually contains the plans to grow Cell, so now I wonder how it will tie into the plot later on...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:17 pm

Really funny, from A to Z.
Even the hints at SH, with Hedo and the costumes.

So far, this is exceeding my expectations.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:17 pm

Fun chapter, but I'm bored too

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:32 pm

Really liked this chapter.

Showing that Trunks was able to partially get into Hedo's disk was a nice touch. He's nowhere near Bulma, but he's not an idiot, he just had thoughts on other things like any teenage boy.

Also find it funny that Goku's sons like scholarly pursuits and Bulma's son likes to fight. With that being said, Gohan and Goten are both carefree like Goku and Trunks is very driven like Bulma. Neat development.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:23 pm

That was a fun little chapter. Bringing DB back down to less universal and serious stakes is a nice touch.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:34 pm

I like it, but nothing to write home about. Just more of the same as the plot moves forward.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:15 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:55 pm Bra looks like kid bulma in Jaco manga and Hedo really is a cool character.

As much as I didn't like Cell Max and would rather to have new villain in the movie, it made sense they developed a new one due to the context (Hedo working for Red Ribbon and having access to Cell data).

It seems Saiyaman X-2 red cape was the inspiration for Gamma 1 cape. Wonder if he will already be created in the next chapter. In the beginning of Super Hero when Hedo is talking about Heroes, Gamma 1 is already shown among others, but it's not made clear if he had already been created before Hedo got arrested.

Since most DBS arcs usually give a new power up, I would like Trunks/Goten to unlock SSJ2. Probably not gonna happen, since we already got Beast Gohan and Orange Piccolo. Although it wouldn't contradict the movie since they fight Cell Max in base and then resort to fusion.
Only other thing I can think of is Goten & Trunks using Potara earrings because they suck at fusing

Maybe Whis gave Bulma them as a gift while Goku & Vegeta are training on Beerus' Planet

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:03 pm

Since they have the blueprints for Cell, I wonder how long until we get a hero version of Cell created by Hedo and Capsule Corp?