When I compare all the English voices of goku including dbza the one that sounds like how goku sounds like in my head is

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Re: When I compare all the English voices of goku including dbza the one that sounds like how goku sounds like in my hea

Post by ATA » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:29 am

TFS Goku's voice is only good for pardoys, fan animation, etc in my opinion. Not official dubbing. I don't like any of the Ocean Dubs' Goku. Sounds too cartoony which considering DBZ is a cartoon...you could argue if fits but I just don't like it. Sean's Goku was solid. Then Burst Limit, Kai, BoG, and modern DB as a whole he has been on another level.

On your comments that Funi Goku isn't the real good. That's more dialog than voice acting. And as plenty of people have mentioned...that for the most part have been fixed.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When I compare all the English voices of goku including dbza the one that sounds like how goku sounds like in my hea

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:11 am

ATA wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:29 am . I don't like any of the Ocean Dubs' Goku. Sounds too cartoony which considering DBZ is a cartoon...
Peter Kelamis, sure, his Goku sounds like a Ninja Turtle. I don't know Ian Corlett or Kirby Marrow's Gokus were any more cartoony than Schemmel though.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:07 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:11 am
ATA wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:29 am . I don't like any of the Ocean Dubs' Goku. Sounds too cartoony which considering DBZ is a cartoon...
Peter Kelamis, sure, his Goku sounds like a Ninja Turtle. I don't know Ian Corlett or Kirby Marrow's Gokus were any more cartoony than Schemmel though.
And honestly I think the biggest knock on Ian Corlett was him sounding too "normal" if anything.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:57 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:07 pm
And honestly I think the biggest knock on Ian Corlett was him sounding too "normal" if anything.
My issue with Ian now honestly is I now can’t hear anything but mega man or later half bob from reboot.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:26 pm

Without meaning any disrespect, but MasakoX's voice acting was one of my least favorite in Abridged. I can honestly day that most voices in Abridged--especially Vegeta's and Piccolo's--were delivered so much better than their official Funimation dub counterparts. I believe that Funimation's voice actors always sounded like they were putting on silly voices rather than sounding natural. Save for a few characters, I felt like the characters didn't sound natural and relaxed until Super with the newer artists for Beerus and Whis. I find most of the returning cast still sounds like they're putting on a voice. This is one of the reasons why I prefer the Ocean cast.

But, I never really appreciated MasakoX's Goku. I think that my favorite English-speaking Goku is Corlett. But, I think that the actor who captured Goku the best was likely Kelamis. I even really liked Morrow's Goku, who used to get flack. But honestly, I always liked Morrow's performance over the raspy and ear-grating Schemmel performance. Schemmel's Goku improved by leaps and bounds by Kai (of course), but my blood pressure raises when he screams.

I don't think it's fair to compare anyone to Nozawa. She will always be the one and only. I feel that the dub's job is to capture the characters' feel more than mimicking the voices. And I generally think at this point, Funimation has it. I don't particularly mind the Funimation cast, but there will never be a duplicate for the Japanese version.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:31 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:26 pm I can honestly day that most voices in Abridged--especially Vegeta's and Piccolo's--were delivered so much better than their official Funimation dub counterparts.
This is a literal impossibility since they weren't voicing the same characters. This isn't a matter of me not liking Abridged (my dislike of Abridged is well known so no need to reiterate it), it's a simple fact that DBZA is a parody, so Vegeta and Abridged Vegeta aren't the same character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:31 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:31 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:26 pm I can honestly day that most voices in Abridged--especially Vegeta's and Piccolo's--were delivered so much better than their official Funimation dub counterparts.
This is a literal impossibility since they weren't voicing the same characters. This isn't a matter of me not liking Abridged (my dislike of Abridged is well known so no need to reiterate it), it's a simple fact that DBZA is a parody, so Vegeta and Abridged Vegeta aren't the same character.
So because the Abridged cast doing a parody, that somehow means that their line delivery couldn't possibly sound better and more natural than Funimation's? Also, let me ask you: what was the difference between Funimation's dub and Abridged, and Funimation's dub and the Japanese version? If you ask me, Funimation was doing its own parody.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:45 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:31 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:31 pm
So because the Abridged cast doing a parody, that somehow means that their line delivery couldn't possibly sound better and more natural than Funimation's? Also, let me ask you: what was the difference between Funimation's dub and Abridged, and Funimation's dub and the Japanese version? If you ask me, Funimation was doing its own parody.
Yes, because they aren't delivering the same line with the same intention. First, Abridged is a parody. The dub, while a poor attempt at adaptation, it was an adaptation. Thankfully it got better as time went on.

And second, Abridged isn't an abridgement of the original. I wish they hadn't chosen the title "Abridged" because it feels like too many people think it's a literal abridgement of the original. It's everyone's right to enjoy it if they want, but it needs to be seen for what it is, a parody of Dragon Ball. Nothing more, nothing less. It's subject to different considerations than a straight adaptation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:51 am

ABED wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:45 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:31 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:31 pm This is a literal impossibility since they weren't voicing the same characters. This isn't a matter of me not liking Abridged (my dislike of Abridged is well known so no need to reiterate it), it's a simple fact that DBZA is a parody, so Vegeta and Abridged Vegeta aren't the same character.
Yes, because they aren't delivering the same line with the same intention. First, Abridged is a parody. The dub, while a poor attempt at adaptation, it was an adaptation. Thankfully it got better as time went on.

And second, Abridged isn't an abridgement of the original. I wish they hadn't chosen the title "Abridged" because it feels like too many people think it's a literal abridgement of the original. It's everyone's right to enjoy it if they want, but it needs to be seen for what it is, a parody of Dragon Ball. Nothing more, nothing less. It's subject to different considerations than a straight adaptation.
I vehemently disagree. Firstly, the only difference between what Funimation did to the Japanese series and what Abridged did, is the fact that Funimation didn't cut down the runtime. They changed the music, dialog, etc. And yes, I feel that I could tell that Team Four Star could deliver lines more naturally. Personally, I felt that the end of Abridged was more of an adaptation than a parody.

Are you making the argument that the only way to tell if someone can deliver lines more naturally than another person is if they're delivering the same line with the same intention? Does that mean that there's just no way to determine if Steve Blum is a better voice actor than Tiffany Vollmer? Of course there is.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:58 am

Abridged is an intentional parody, the same can't be said for Funimation's dub, which didnt set out to be a parody and only made things up because they received poor translations from TOEI.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:11 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:58 am Abridged is an intentional parody, the same can't be said for Funimation's dub, which didnt set out to be a parody and only made things up because they received poor translations from TOEI.
I would have to call out the idea that Funimation received bad translations from Toei. They were able to have an in-house translator who translated the series very well for a home video release. They could have waited or arranged for Steve Simmons to translate the series before the voice actors stepped into the booth. It's the same thing for the music. "Oh, the audio quality was so terrible." And yet, every other country received good quality audio. Also, Funimation received good quality audio for movies 2 and 3, the first three Z movies, and the entire Dragon Ball series, right? Nah, I think that the script changes, music changes, and overall change in tone was intentional.

Whether on purpose or by accident, Funimation produced a parody of the series. Whatever came out of their studio didn't match the Japanese version of the series. So, I'm not sure what TFS doing a "parody" has to do with judging their voice talents. I'm saying that TFS's characters' voices sounded more natural and less forced than Funimation's. What's being a parody got to do with anything?

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:59 am

I think that at the end of the day, voice actors "doing a voice" isn't necessarily such a bad thing, they all have to do it to one degree or another, it's acting after all. No one in the Japanese cast roster is actually using their natural voice either, but whether or not they're still capable of some real emotional range while doing so is the key question. IMO, MasakoX never showed much range until the final episode as Gohan.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:12 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:11 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:58 am Abridged is an intentional parody, the same can't be said for Funimation's dub, which didnt set out to be a parody and only made things up because they received poor translations from TOEI.
I would have to call out the idea that Funimation received bad translations from Toei. They were able to have an in-house translator who translated the series very well for a home video release. They could have waited or arranged for Steve Simmons to translate the series before the voice actors stepped into the booth. It's the same thing for the music. "Oh, the audio quality was so terrible." And yet, every other country received good quality audio. Also, Funimation received good quality audio for movies 2 and 3, the first three Z movies, and the entire Dragon Ball series, right? Nah, I think that the script changes, music changes, and overall change in tone was intentional.

Whether on purpose or by accident, Funimation produced a parody of the series. Whatever came out of their studio didn't match the Japanese version of the series. So, I'm not sure what TFS doing a "parody" has to do with judging their voice talents. I'm saying that TFS's characters' voices sounded more natural and less forced than Funimation's. What's being a parody got to do with anything?
You don't need to put parody in quotes, it's a literal parody. This isn't about judging their voice talents, it's about pointing out they're doing something fundamentally different. They aren't voicing Vegeta and Piccolo, they're Parody Vegeta and Parody Piccolo, etc. They don't have to sound natural at all. That isn't the job of the parody because they aren't dubbing Dragon Ball. Abridged is not Dragon Ball Z.

And for the record, I think they're all awful. None of them sound remotely natural. And while the changes in the dub were usually terrible, it wasn't a parody. Their reasons for doing so are beyond the scope of this thread.

In any event, I don't like MasakoX's performance and don't think it fits Goku. I didn't like Kelamis's performance, and I like the parody even less.

Anyway, I've exhausted what I have to say on this subject.

Darnis

Post by Darnis » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:50 am

TFS gave up on being a parody by mid season 3 where they're basically no different from Saban's dub as far as dialog being changed and edits. They started to treat it like a fandub instead of a parody and it shows. Most of them just aren't very good at serious dialog and the final episode showed me that MasakoX's Goku voice really is not cut out for dramatic moments. Especially his screams which are just not very good as they don't really sound like actual screams and more just raising his voice.
Raditz did nothing wrong

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:17 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:11 am

I want to second that a lot of the excuses that come Funimation's way, like poor translations from Toei, for the dub's poor quality control really don't hold up under much scrutiny.

And while questionable Engrish from Toei's scripts may be a reason for why the dub was iffy from a translation stand point for the first three seasons (Simmons would have been available from season 4 onward) it really doesn't excuse lines like

"You're excused but maybe you should get glasses for both your eyes!"

"Sorry, I don't accept hand outs!"

"I knew I should have joined cub scouts but mom said noooo!"

"If you were a dog I'd scratch your belly, if you were a cat I'd give you warm milk until you started to purrrr but since you're neither of those things I'll just say thanks for a job well done!"

"You can stay until we beat Frieza after that I'm charging you rent. You got that?"

"My gosh That's one whopper of a lizard!"

"Your shoe laced came untied! Nice try but I don't even have shoe laces"

"This isn't one of your half baked plans is it Piccolo? "No it's full baked!"

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:50 pm

In literally every episode of Abridged they open it with saying this is a "Fan Based Parody" and please support the "OFFICIAL Release" meaning they themselves support Funimation and Toei, they're not trying to be serious competition. Its fine if you're a fan but I don't get how or why this is being dragged so far?

Imagine people saying the cast from Scary Movie should've replaced the legacy cast from Scream for part 4 onward.. That'd be absolutely ridiculous.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:32 am

Corlett's Goku sounds cartoony like a Marvel character. Kirby Marrow's Goku sounds like his should be voicing Gohan or Cabba to be honest.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:26 pm Schemmel's Goku improved by leaps and bounds by Kai (of course), but my blood pressure raises when he screams.
I have to ask about this. How can you NOT like Schemmel's battle screams?
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:08 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:50 pm In literally every episode of Abridged they open it with saying this is a "Fan Based Parody" and please support the "OFFICIAL Release" meaning they themselves support Funimation and Toei, they're not trying to be serious competition. Its fine if you're a fan but I don't get how or why this is being dragged so far?

Imagine people saying the cast from Scary Movie should've replaced the legacy cast from Scream for part 4 onward.. That'd be absolutely ridiculous.
I don't want to put feelings to your post, but I feel like a lot of this stuff is a result of fans going way too far to say that Abridged should be watched instead of the original. I think that's way too far.

But, I also can that there's nothing wrong with admitting that Abridged's voice acting is good. It's not like Vegeta's voice is Sabat's voice and someone else imitated it. Both actors put on that voice. Side by side, I feel that Abridged did it better. Same goes for Piccolo. Same goes for Trunks.

Sabat came into it trying to imitate McNeil and Drummond. Abridged tried to imitate Sabat's performance. I just feel like they did it where I can imagine those voices being someone's actual voice, whereas I feel that a lot of the original Funimation cast sounds very forced. Am I petitioning for Sabat to be replaced? No. He did a good job in Super. Do I think Abridged's Vegeta sounds better? Yeah. I don't see the problem.

And I still make the argument that Funimation made a parody out of DBZ...

ATA wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:32 am

Corlett's Goku sounds cartoony like a Marvel character. Kirby Marrow's Goku sounds like his should be voicing Gohan or Cabba to be honest.
Even though Corlett is my favorite English-speaking Goku, I'll certainly admit that he's very stereotypical superhero in the series. To be fair, that was a directing decision.

I think that Kelamis needed to be directed better too. He was good in the movies, but he was nowhere near as good in the series. I think that his popularity boils down to the fact that he sounds the most like Nozawa (certainly his screams). Also, Kelamis was tasked with essentially immitating Corlett.

Morrow was good too, but suffered from the same issues as the others I mentioned. Morrow was especially behind the 8-ball because not only was his job to imitate Kelamis imitating Corlett, but his run was exclusively through the Westwood dub, which means that the only performance we have of his, is the rushed, discombobulated directing that went on there.

Even still, what are we comparing to? Z's Schemmel? Z Schemmel is, in my opinion, the worst of the four. Heck, he's worse than Blue Water's adult Gokus too. Schemmel was really bad in the Z dub. Yes, with Kai, he improved--the odds are just there. Kai was also much better directed.

I have the utmost confidence that if Corlett, Kelamis, and Morrow were directed by Sabat the way he did it in Kai, that their performances would be exceptional. They have a much better and natural delivery than Schemmel. I'm sorry, but that's just how I feel. Nothing against him--but he's #4 out of 4 for me. It's just that he's up against three really good actors.

I will say that Schemmel was a lot better as Goku than Steve Blum. So, if it's any consolation, I just rated Schemmel over the exceptional Blum.

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:26 pm Schemmel's Goku improved by leaps and bounds by Kai (of course), but my blood pressure raises when he screams.
I have to ask about this. How can you NOT like Schemmel's battle screams?
Because it's really grating to my ears. Also, his lighthearted line delivery sounds so disingenuous. It sounds like he's putting on an act as opposed to every other Emglish-speaking Goku.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:09 pm

@TheGreatness25 you know what’s ironic I think if Sean tried he could do a better goku screams and all but instead he gives us the same slop same for his ear piercing king Kai he ruined that character. I feel all the cast members that are weak in the Kai dub could have huge improvements in the Kai dub if they went in a different direction. the only voice in super I think I’d super at this point would be android 18. why I’m sorry I really prefer her Kai voice and didn’t understand why they brought back her z voice. But the rest of the Kai cast is great minus maybe kid gohan because sorry she sounds like she gave him a girl voice it does really sound like a young gohan am I imagine things on that? It’s ironic they can do a bebop caliber dub voices script and all but they refuse too. Even the dub of the original dragon ball aggravates me because the acting the voices and script were wrong. :(

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:25 pm

I watched Abridged until around the time the Androids appeared before stopping. I did also watch the Goku vs Superman death battles, which featured MasakoX as a more serious Goku.

Based on that I just don't see how he even remotely compares to Sean Schemmel, particularly from Kai onwards. Same with the other characters. The Kai dub is really well acted, and the performances mostly sound very natural. The acting in Abridged sounds like it's from an above average fan dub at best.