When I compare all the English voices of goku including dbza the one that sounds like how goku sounds like in my head is

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

When I compare all the English voices of goku including dbza the one that sounds like how goku sounds like in my head is

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:32 am

When I compare all the English voices of goku including dbza the one that sounds like how goku sounds like in my head is Masakox. I think mistare fusion is right listen to his voice and then masako nozawa as adult goku the tone voice sounds like a male equivalent at least to me.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: When I compare all the English voices of goku including dbza the one that sounds like how goku sounds like in my hea

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:36 am

I've never agreed with people who say he'd make a good official Goku. He's very good at the exagerated parody version of Goku, but I just can't see him voicing the actual character and making it work. The voice he uses has this constant underlying tongue-in-cheek feel to it, which would undermine all the serious scenes.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: When I compare all the English voices of goku including dbza the one that sounds like how goku sounds like in my hea

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:07 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:36 am I've never agreed with people who say he'd make a good official Goku. He's very good at the exagerated parody version of Goku, but I just can't see him voicing the actual character and making it work. The voice he uses has this constant underlying tongue-in-cheek feel to it, which would undermine all the serious scenes.
There's that, and it's not always ideal for a dub actor to sound as close to the Japanese voice as possible necessarily, because trying to imitate the original actor is only going to come across forced and unnatural. Its better to cast someone based on how well they meet the criteria for who the character they play is. Karl Willems said in a livestream recently when casting actors in any given role he's looking for a "character match" rather than a "voice match". In the case of Goku, what you need is someone who sounds like a manchild, loves fighting and is a bit naive.

In an interview Peter Kelamis had something interesting to say on the matter:
"The level and emotion of the original performance is attempted to be re-created but not the voice. If I tried to re-create the original voice I think I would run the risk of hitting a note so high that I may not be able to have children in future life."
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:19 am

I really don't hear that much Nozawa in MasakoX's performance at all. He's pretty much doing a Peter Kelamis impersonation (something I'm almost positive he has acknowledged at some point) with a more comedic flair.

I know people have also compared Kelamis to Nozawa as well but other than those screams and Kaio-kens in World's Strongest...no.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:31 pm

Honestly, I still do kind of hear MasakoX's voice as Goku while reading the DBS manga. Although, I suppose it is a sort of way for me to entertain myself as I try not zoning out of reading that boring cereal arc...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:29 pm

MasakoX mentioned in Episode 30 commentary, that he tried to sound similar to Nozawa-san "How dare you?!" during SSJ transformation :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:49 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:36 am I've never agreed with people who say he'd make a good official Goku. He's very good at the exagerated parody version of Goku, but I just can't see him voicing the actual character and making it work. The voice he uses has this constant underlying tongue-in-cheek feel to it, which would undermine all the serious scenes.
Go look at mistare fusion when he talks about goku during 21 budokai on his thought on masakox’s goku that image of goku from 21 budokai to him says yeah masakox’s goku isn’t as far away from the real goku like you’d like to believe your just use to the funimation dub of goku. the Japanese version is not the same character which isn’t 100 percent the same version from the manga. Understand funimation really butchered the characters in the dub.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:10 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:49 pm Go look at mistare fusion when he talks about goku during 21 budokai on his thought on masakox’s goku that image of goku from 21 budokai to him says yeah masakox’s goku isn’t as far away from the real goku like you’d like to believe your just use to the funimation dub of goku. the Japanese version is not the same character which isn’t 100 percent the same version from the manga. Understand funimation really butchered the characters in the dub.
Please. I say again: I greatly appreciate that you like the videos I have made. However, invoking my opinions is not, in and of itself, a debate. My opinion doesn't carry any more weight than anyone else's. And in this particular case, the snippet you're referring to is Goku in the manga doing something silly, and me expressing my belief that MasakoX could fit that role. Regardless of anyone's opinion, that little quip of mine is not much in the way of a persuasive argument. It's just me quickly and light-heartedly expressing my thoughts... 11 years ago.

Just saying, "But (Insert Person's Name) doesn't agree with you!" isn't going to convince anyone. If you think MasakoX is a great Goku, then tell people that! Tell us why! Build a case! We want to hear from you, not me! :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:11 pm

I never really understood the argument in favor of any of the TFS voices being the official dub voices for these characters. Most of them were conceived as comical imitations of the official dub voices, since, as it should be pointed out, DBZA was never meant to compete with the official dubs of the series. It was made as a simple parody that people who were already fans of DBZ could laugh at.

MasakoX’s Goku is an imitation of Peter Kelamis, Lanipator’s Piccolo and Vegeta are imitations of Chris Sabat, KaiserNeko imitates Eric Vale, etc. Ironically, one of the few DBZA voices to truly provide a unique take on a major character is LittleKuriboh’s Freeza, and even in that case, many people probably think he was copying Chris Ayres.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:17 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:11 pm I never really understood the argument in favor of any of the TFS voices being the official dub voices for these characters. Most of them were conceived as comical imitations of the official dub voices, since, as it should be pointed out, DBZA was never meant to compete with the official dubs of the series. It was made as a simple parody that people who were already fans of DBZ could laugh at.
Same line of logic that wants DBZA to be available on dvd/Blu-Ray and/or air on Adult Swim.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:22 pm

I echo the non-sentiment towards the TFS voice acting, the fact that some folks do champion behind it so hard has always been baffling to me. I mean, I liked WeeklyTubeShow's Piccolo "black" spoof character he created but in NO WAY EVER would I vouch for him to be the official English Piccolo voice.

That being said I'm definitely in the minority (here at least) in thinking that Schemmel does just fine as Goku, He doesn't sound like Nozawa speaking fluent English nor should he. He has his own spin on the character and invokes the range of emotions that he's supposed to well enough that I'm satisfied.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:43 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:22 pm I echo the non-sentiment towards the TFS voice acting, the fact that some folks do champion behind it so hard has always been baffling to me. I mean, I liked WeeklyTubeShow's Piccolo "black" spoof character he created but in NO WAY EVER would I vouch for him to be the official English Piccolo voice.

That being said I'm definitely in the minority (here at least) in thinking that Schemmel does just fine as Goku, He doesn't sound like Nozawa speaking fluent English nor should he. He has his own spin on the character and invokes the range of emotions that he's supposed to well enough that I'm satisfied.
::FIst bump::

I'm in full agreement with both paragraphs.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:14 am

But the American version of goku is a rewrite of his character personality etc. I don’t consider that goku. yeah I saw masakox play his goku straight and yes hectoo me is takes the best Ian corlett goku voice and Peter goku and that’s sounds like masakox goku and honestly too me that’s perfect. because it takes the best of both those voices and I never never like Sean goku. the best voices we ever got from funi to me is Kai freeza.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:00 am

supersaiyamangod wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:14 am But the American version of goku is a rewrite of his character personality etc. I don’t consider that goku.
People really overexaggerate the hell out of this.

Goku in the English dub has been pretty much accurate since Kai, so going on 13 years now. Even before that the representation of Goku in the original Dragon Ball dub wasn't too far off (most of the time). Even the Z dub occasionally got Goku right when the animation kind of forced them too (i.e scenes where it's hard to shove silver age comic book drivel down his mouth when he's obviously being shown as a bumpkin)

Whether Schemmel's performance is actually any good is up for debate. I thought he's been fine since the Buu saga dub but as far as portraying an accurate version, he's been allowed to do that for over a decade now.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:54 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:22 pmI'm definitely in the minority (here at least) in thinking that Schemmel does just fine as Goku, He doesn't sound like Nozawa speaking fluent English nor should he. He has his own spin on the character and invokes the range of emotions that he's supposed to well enough that I'm satisfied.
I would say that's more or less been the consensus around here since Kai. I think there's still a minority of vocal sub elitists that still feel Schemmel doesn't understand Goku, but that's what they are, a minority. The vast majority now at least respect the work Schemmel puts in, and rightly so, because he does everything in his power to do Goku justice, especially during the comedic moments. I would go as far as to say the Super dub, for all its flaws has given us Schemmel's best work as Goku.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:29 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:17 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:11 pm I never really understood the argument in favor of any of the TFS voices being the official dub voices for these characters. Most of them were conceived as comical imitations of the official dub voices, since, as it should be pointed out, DBZA was never meant to compete with the official dubs of the series. It was made as a simple parody that people who were already fans of DBZ could laugh at.
Same line of logic that wants DBZA to be available on dvd/Blu-Ray and/or air on Adult Swim.
People who are asking for that aren’t living in reality not being mean that’s just facts. because in the end the product they made was unofficial. so that can’t legally happen so they are being foolish even asking that.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:22 pm

I don’t hate Sean as a voice actor personally i feel he’s not giving his a game as goku I feel he could do a better goku and no it doesn’t have to sound like masako x. I’m say that the voice he uses can be nails on a chalkboard for example the scene when he breaks through the wall after finding out vegeta is on beerus planet that scene done by masako nozawa is leagues better. Sean is ear bleeding bad that’s his voice too me throughout the series. but I know he has range his super saiyan rose proved that too me which disappoints me that he did try to give him a better more fitting voice same goes for his king Kai. That’s how I feel about Chris Sabat’s vegeta as well listen to this fan film vegeta voice this too me is the ideal sounding vegeta more or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JKLM45aIik

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:55 pm

That's not as bad as I thought it would be, but that Vegeta voice is generic.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:54 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:55 pm That's not as bad as I thought it would be, but that Vegeta voice is generic.
The voice to me sounded more Royal warrior to me maybe it’s a little generic but with a little tweaking that’s the perfect voice for vegeta.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:02 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:54 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:55 pm That's not as bad as I thought it would be, but that Vegeta voice is generic.
The voice to me sounded more Royal warrior to me maybe it’s a little generic but with a little tweaking that’s the perfect voice for vegeta.
I don't get that at all. I don't care about the royal aspect. That's something that was added later. What defined Vegeta from the start was his arrogance. It needs to seep out of every pore. This guy sounds like Rando no. 5.

I also like Schemmel quite a bit.

To each their own.