Deep Thoughts: The Piccolo Daimao Saga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Deep Thoughts: The Piccolo Daimao Saga

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:41 pm

This is arc is Toriyama at the top of his game. The only other arc that matches this lingering sense of dread throughout the whole story is the Saiyan arc. Dragon Ball had taken steps here and there towards a slightly more serious story, but this is the biggest pivot. Now it's not just a new character, Kuririn's death was a major moment in the series, and it works so well regardless of the medium. I've seen and read this moment countless times and it still continues to work. Nozawa absolutely kills it in the moments after finding Kuririn's body. She's able to show the mixture of both profound grief and intense rage. The montage of moments Goku and Kuririn shared together as Goku rushes off to find his best friend's killer only makes it more heartbreaking. The plot itself is very straightforward and that's to its benefit. Goku wants revenge for the death of his best friend, but the being responsible is the Demon King and most powerful being the world had ever known. It took everything for Muten Roshi's master just to trap him for hundreds of years. And despite the darkness of the story, there's plenty of humor and fun. Much of that comes from the introduction of one of my favorite side characters, Yajirobe. Miyumi Tanaka was a wonderful choice. Some characters are introduced and don't contribute much beyond their first arc. Thankfully, he plays a pivotal role in the Saiyan arc, but I wish he had continued to play a role even if just once an arc like Tenshinhan did.

This is the arc where Toriyama finds the structure that he more or less uses for the rest of the manga. Introduce big bad, take out Goku early on, build the threat as practically invincible, kill off a few heroes, throw in a few transformations, then Goku returns to turn the tide of the battle. It's not inherently a negative, but it becomes a crutch. Here, it's used to great effect. Piccolo's beating down Goku nearly to death was savage, the slam back first into the jagged rock in particular. Takeshi Aono is so damn good. What an actor. His delivery is sinister and a joy to listen to. What's more amazing is the distinction he makes between old Piccolo Daimao and Daimao when he's regained his youth.

The stories are becoming more and more serialized. It's starting to feel like a long movie. In this case it works well as Toriyama is able to generate enough threats and roadblocks to keep the story interesting until the final battle which is in my top 10 Dragon Ball fights. It's only three episodes and packs a lot in. It's intense and emotion filled, so much so that Goku's victory feels incredibly cathartic. And that's what every story should be after – catharsis. Goku feels a measure of satisfaction by getting revenge and so do we, or at least I certainly do. Thankfully he doesn’t fall to his death as his new friend Yajirobe is there at the last second to save the day. It's such a beautiful moment. Even if his friends weren't resurrected, the story would've felt satisfying.

Random Thoughts:
The Piccolo theme can be manipulated and played a number of different ways. It's one of the reasons it's among my favorite bits of score.
Pirates' sailing on land is a cool visual.
It's a bit of a deus ex machina that Karin has real super water lying around. The twist of the Super Spirit Water being plain tap water was clever, but the Super Sacred Water is a cheap way of getting Goku a power up to defeat a rejuvenated Piccolo Daimao who he wasn't able to defeat in his older weaker form. The anguish he experiences after drinking it and the length of it helps make it feel more earned, but the filler helps it even more by not having Karin just go off panel and get it like he has it lying around the whole time.

The two filler episodes were better where Goku went on a journey to find the Super Sacred Water were better than how it happened in the manga, though more the second episode than the first. And while I love the scene where The Darkness tests Goku's resolve by seeing if he would drop Yajirobe to save himself, the part that doesn't work dramatically is the temptation scene. Goku's naïve enough to buy it for a few minutes but I don't think he's the type to ever fall for the fantasy of living in safety. A good example of this sort of story is the Supernatural: Season 2 episode, "What is and What Should Never Be". In the episode, you buy that Dean is tempted to live in the fantasy even after he knows it would mean his death.

I lived in Japan from August 1991 through November 1993 because my dad was a pilot in the Navy. He was stationed at a Navy base in Atsugi. The base was American, so we got US TV, but we also go a few Japanese channels. That was my first exposure to Dragon Ball. There were no subtitles, so I didn’t watch it, but I was aware of it. My brother and his friends played one of the DB games on the SNES. Years later, I found a tape in his room labeled "Dragon Ball". He clearly taped it when we were in Japan, but it was the oddest group of "episodes". I saw what was on the tape before I had seen the series so while I had read summaries, I didn't know what a lot of the characters looked like. I imagined the Androids/Cyborgs as a cross between the Terminator and the android from The Zeta Project. What I saw was someone who looked like Piccolo but different, a Frankenstein looking guy, and a bunch of thugs drawing Japanese characters on their shirt. I had zero idea what any of it was. As you may be able to figure out, it was episode 117. There was also another "episode" but we'll get to that later.

The Dub:
Oh god, the first mention of "Power levels" in DB was so awful. Karin asks Goku how he knows where Piccolo is and he says, "I guess you could say I sense his Power Level." I know that a lot of people place a ton of importance on power levels, but is it really the kind of thing that gives audiences that hit of dopamine when they hear or see something nostalgic. To put it another way, I get the reaction while watching a prequel where an audience sees a character they've met before and sees how they were introduced. It's like Buddy the Elf acting like a kid going "I know him, I know him." The reaction to a series re-introducing characters is something I get, but power levels?
My memory of Sabat's performance as King Piccolo was that he took his Piccolo voice and made it even deeper and gravellier. That's largely true of older Piccolo, but the rasp has been dialed down when he regains his youth. It's an okay performance but nowhere close to Aono.
Mike McFarland isn't a good fit for Muten Roshi, but he's makes for a very good Yajirobe. His is one of the few good voices from the era when they were trying to get sound-alikes. He sounds somewhat like Brian Drummond but makes the character his own.

Home Video:
After the Red Ribbon Army Saga DVD, FUNi skipped to these episodes. Can't blame them, though I wish they had chosen to start with the Tenshinhan arc. I love these episodes so I'm not gonna look a gift horse the mouth.

102. Goku chases after Kuririn's killer; Muten Roshi tells everyone about his past, Mutaito, and Piccolo Daimao; Piccolo and Pilaf make plans to rule the world
103. Goku catches up to Tambourine; Tambourine destroys Kinto Un; leaves after he believes he has killed Goku; begins murdering tournament contestants
104. Piccolo creates Cymbal to collect the DBs; Goku wakes up; Roshi and Co. move KH to another island for safety; Goku eats a fish then meets Yajirobe
105. Yajirobe fights with Goku over eating his fish; Cymbal shows up; demands the Dragon Ball; Yajirobe cuts him in half; Piccolo senses Cymbal's death
106. Yajirobe eats Cymbal; Tambourine finds Yamcha; Piccolo orders him to get revenge for Cymbal's death; Tenshinhan, Roshi, and Chaozu find their first DB
107. Roshi and Co. take a DB from land pirates; Goku chases Yajirobe; Tambourine tracks them down; a man whom Tenshinhan injured gives him the 5-star DB
108. Goku kills Tambourine with ease; Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Roshi find the fourth Dragon Ball in an ice cave; Piccolo's floating base appears above Goku
109. Piccolo faces off against Goku; Yajirobe hides and watches their fight; Roshi finds a DB; gets squished by a giant rock and drops it; Piccolo toys with Goku
110. Piccolo leaves Goku for dead and takes the DB; Yajirobe takes Goku towards Karin Tower; Piccolo swallows his two DBs; Roshi knocks Tenshinhan out
111. Roshi confronts Piccolo; Piccolo attacks but Roshi doesn't fight back; uses the Mafuba; misses the Denshi Jar; dies of fatigue; Piccolo summons Shen Long
112. Piccolo kills Chaozu; wishes for youth; destroys Shen Long; kicks Pilaf, Mai, and Shuu off of their plane; Yajirobe and Goku reach the base of Karin Tower
113. Piccolo reaches King Castle; Yajirobe begins climbing Karin Tower with Goku on his back; Piccolo kills everyone in his way as he takes over King Castle
114. Piccolo captures the king; Yajirobe reaches the top; Goku eats a senzu; Karin tells him about the Super Sacred Water; Tenshinhan trains to learn the Mafuba
115. Goku and Yajirobe walk through an ice labyrinth; awaken The Darkness; run from an ice monster; The Darkness conjures an illusion of Muten Roshi
116. Goku fights the Roshi illusion and saves Yajirobe's life; drinks the Super Sacred Water; writhes in pain for hours; the water releases his hidden powers
117. Piccolo's broadcast causes chaos; Tenshinhan leaves to fight Piccolo; Goku leaves the cave with Yajirobe; receives a new Kinto Un; flies towards Piccolo
118. Piccolo announces he will destroy one sector every month; chooses Metro West first. Tenshinhan arrives at KC and confronts Piccolo; Piccolo creates Drum
119. Tenshinhan fights Drum; Goku saves Gyumao and Chichi; Tenshinhan takes a beating; his Mafuba fails; Goku arrives at KC; kills Drum with a single kick
120. Goku begins fighting Piccolo; knocks him into Piano, killing Piano; Piccolo reaches his full power; hits Goku with a powerful punch; Goku remains unfazed
121. Piccolo damages Goku's right leg; powers up even further; destroys most of the city; Goku survives the blast with Tenshinhan's help; survives it again
122. Piccolo injures all but Goku's right arm; Goku pierces Piccolo's torso; Piccolo spits out an egg then blows up; Yajirobe saves Goku from falling to his death
Last edited by ABED on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Deep Thoughts: The Piccolo Daimao Saga

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:30 pm

Oh god, the first mention of "Power levels" in DB was so awful. Karin asks Goku how he knows where Piccolo is and he says, "I guess you could say I sense his Power Level." I know that a lot of people place a ton of importance on power levels, but is it really the kind of thing that gives audiences that hit of dopamine when they hear or see something nostalgic
It seems for whatever reason FUNi really went out of their way here in trying to reference DBZ by adding that into DB's dub, even when in the original version power levels are nowhere to be mentioned whatsoever. Power levels themselves didn't become a thing in the Japanese version until Z ep 01...Or if your talking about the manga in Chapter 195.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:14 am

From what I recall the Z dub was really bad at using power levels interchangeabley as a localization for both battle power, as in how Freeza and his men measure ki and as a localization for ki (i.e the non-scouter using characters will reference power levels) The Dragon Ball dub is when they started using energy as a localization for ki up until that aforementioned power level reference. And then they start using the term spirit energy at the 23rd Budokai? Something they would drop but it always bothered me they couldn't at least use the term chi, a term I think most westerners would vaguely associate as a eastern martial arts thing

Kai is when Funimation got consistent that energy=ki and power level=battle power.

Anyways the Daimao arc and the Saiyan arc are the two storylines where I think Toei outdid Toriyama. The Daimao arc for alleviating the deus ex machina issue by having Goku go on a quest for the Super God Water and The Saiyan arc for doing a better job developing Gohan's transition from shelterer crybaby to young warrior and giving the Z warriors more screentime to give their deaths a bigger gut punch.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:22 am

The Daimao arc for alleviating the deus ex machina issue by having Goku go on a quest for the Super God Water and The Saiyan arc for doing a better job developing Gohan's transition from shelterer crybaby to young warrior and giving the Z warriors more screentime to give their deaths a bigger gut punch.
The original filler material with Gohan's training in particular is an example of Toei adding content that filled a hole in Toriyama's writing given that for the most part it was skimmed over in the manga.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:25 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:14 am Anyways the Daimao arc and the Saiyan arc are the two storylines where I think Toei outdid Toriyama. The Daimao arc for alleviating the deus ex machina issue by having Goku go on a quest for the Super God Water and The Saiyan arc for doing a better job developing Gohan's transition from shelterer crybaby to young warrior and giving the Z warriors more screentime to give their deaths a bigger gut punch.
Totally agree on both anime versions of those arcs being improvements on Toriyama's for the reasons you gave. I think the anime's version of the Buu arc deserves some props too for how well it fleshes out the Great Saiyaman part of the story (making Gohan and Videl's relationship better developed) as well as other concepts Toriyama didn't do much with in the manga.

As for the Piccolo arc, I always appreciated how the anime's version actually depicted society breaking down in response to Piccolo's coup. It made his actions feel more consequential as opposed to the manga, where the coup felt like more of a footnote.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:46 am

This is the first arc a real date is given, I think, with May the 9th being Piccolo's Day.

I think Toei outdid Toriyama with Krilin's death, too. Although, I'm not sure Tori had the means to pull something as emotional as what Toei did.

This would also be the first time we see the trope of the villain losing the edge yet regaining it somehow. In this case, being full on psychopath and taking hostages to use them as shields to even the score, but unlike vs Freeza and Cell, it wasn't the hero's fault.

Goku will also end up with injured limbs vs Jr, defeating him in a similar manner, which I'm not a big fan of.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:08 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:46 am This is the first arc a real date is given, I think, with May the 9th being Piccolo's Day.

I think Toei outdid Toriyama with Krilin's death, too. Although, I'm not sure Tori had the means to pull something as emotional as what Toei did.

This would also be the first time we see the trope of the villain losing the edge yet regaining it somehow. In this case, being full on psychopath and taking hostages to use them as shields to even the score, but unlike vs Freeza and Cell, it wasn't the hero's fault.

Goku will also end up with injured limbs vs Jr, defeating him in a similar manner, which I'm not a big fan of.
Why don't you like Jr. breaking Goku's limbs during the Tenkaichi Budokai?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:43 pm

I know that some people hate King Piccolo for being too one-dimensional as a villain, but I love him.

This is more or less when Dragon Ball became darker in tone, but also kept its lightheartedness. Seriously, this arc is the definition of dark. Krillin, Master Roshi and Chiaotzu freaking die. Even King Piccolo decides to kill Shenron so that the Dragon Balls can't be used to bring people back.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:43 pm I know that some people hate King Piccolo for being too one-dimensional as a villain, but I love him..
I genuinely hate that pseudo intellectual criticism.

He's literally a demon. He's allowed to be evil for the sake of it. Kind of the point.

The idea every bad guy needs nuanced motivation or some deep sympathetic backstory is so frustrating.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:10 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:43 pm I know that some people hate King Piccolo for being too one-dimensional as a villain, but I love him..
I genuinely hate that pseudo intellectual criticism.

He's literally a demon. He's allowed to be evil for the sake of it. Kind of the point.

The idea every bad guy needs nuanced motivation or some deep sympathetic backstory is so frustrating.
Exactly. There isn't a magic formula to creating a compelling villain. Some are great being two dimensional. Some villains are made better by giving them more nuanced motivation. Some work well as sympathetic.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:56 pm

One of the reasons I love this arc is that Daimao was pure evil to the end. Everything about this part of the story screams action and intrigue. Anyone that says DragonBall is campy clearly hasn't read the manga or watched the episodes. Goku beating Daimao is one of my favorite TV moments of all time.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:02 am

Funimation's dub of the King Piccolo arc is so weird. As has been said the mention of power levels was very clearly an attempt to pander to Dragon Ball Z fans (which has always been Funimation's priority), then there's King Piccolo saying he fought fighters all over the universe, the recap at the start of episode 103 that calls him an alien even though the episode originally aired in Japan nearly two years before the reveal. There was also a change when Goku tries and fails to call Kinto'Un to him shouting he'll have his revenge for Tambourine killing Kuririn, which was likely done to be consistent with Goku's heroic portrayal from Z onwards. Tambourine also implies the father bear was dead in episode 106, contradicting the sounds and movements he was making (even in Funimation's dub) that made it clear he was alive and was merely hurt by Tambourine. All references to Demons are also censored, including when the boar biker asked how to spell it, and instead he asked how to spell "Annihilation". I still recommend everyone check out the Blue Water dub if they get a chance, as it fixes all of these mistakes.

Something else I noticed, but does anyone else think Chris Sabat's voice for King Piccolo is also a bit too similar to his Vegeta voice? I know people say the same about Piccolo Junior, but I felt, from Kai onwards at least Sabat's performance was distinct enough that you could easily tell the two apart even without a visual of the characters.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:19 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:02 am Funimation's dub of the King Piccolo arc is so weird. As has been said the mention of power levels was very clearly an attempt to pander to Dragon Ball Z fans (which has always been Funimation's priority), then there's King Piccolo saying he fought fighters all over the universe, the recap at the start of episode 103 that calls him an alien even though the episode originally aired in Japan nearly two years before the reveal. There was also a change when Goku tries and fails to call Kinto'Un to him shouting he'll have his revenge for Tambourine killing Kuririn, which was likely done to be consistent with Goku's heroic portrayal from Z onwards. Tambourine also implies the father bear was dead in episode 106, contradicting the sounds and movements he was making (even in Funimation's dub) that made it clear he was alive and was merely hurt by Tambourine. All references to Demons are also censored, including when the boar biker asked how to spell it, and instead he asked how to spell "Annihilation". I still recommend everyone check out the Blue Water dub if they get a chance, as it fixes all of these mistakes.
Yes one of the most annoying things about the Funi dub of Daimao and 23rd Budokai arcs is that for some reason Piccolo and Kami know they're aliens. Kami as Hero will outright tell Yamcha he's an alien, the aforementioned "fought warriors all over the universe" line and a few dozen other references to them being from outer space.

And it's especially irritating because it's not just re-writing the Japanese version it's a contradiction to what was already established in Funimation's own dub of the Saiyan saga from 1996! I get that a lot of people involved with the Dragon Ball dub weren't around during the Saban/Ocean days but quite a few of them were (at least Barry Watson, Chris Forbis, and Chris Neel) and none of them could bother to point out "uh actually Piccolo and Kami aren't supposed to know they're aliens until Vegeta and Nappa tell Piccolo he's a Namekian"
Something else I noticed, but does anyone else think Chris Sabat's voice for King Piccolo is also a bit too similar to his Vegeta voice? I know people say the same about Piccolo Junior, but I felt, from Kai onwards at least Sabat's performance was distinct enough that you could easily tell the two apart even without a visual of the characters.
Yes, the first time I heard Sabat's King Piccolo years after the epiode first aired I was just like "Oh, that's just his Vegeta voice"

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:57 am

Piccolo Daimao is one of my top 2 Dragon Ball villains. What I love about him is that he's a very grandiose figure, and that's reflected in how he went about being evil. Practically every evil thing he did was big, and IMO, some of those things were never really topped in the original run (namely killing the wish granting dragon god and single handedly performing a coup to become the new ruler of the world).

Plus being the series' first big villain and kicking off its darker and edgier turn makes him a grandiose figure on a meta level too.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:43 pm I know that some people hate King Piccolo for being too one-dimensional as a villain,
He might be one-dimensionally evil in characterization (and as others have noted, it works for him considering he's literally evil incarnate), but I'd argue that establishing his connections to Kami and Piccolo Jr retroactively made him one of the more richly developed villains in terms of his history- another reason I love him.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 am

Tambourine also implies the father bear was dead in episode 106, contradicting the sounds and movements he was making (even in Funimation's dub) that made it clear he was alive and was merely hurt by Tambourine.
Unless i'm mistaken, i seem to recall the edited Toonami broadcast of FUNi's dub of this episode using different lines in the above scene. Where Tambourine doesn't flat out say he killed the bear kid's dad (whereas we can tell he wasn't, there's no blood or claw marks anywhere on him and his shirt was merely ripped open by that swipe) as in the uncut version, and it's actually closer somewhat to the original though again that was 20 years ago, so i don't recall the exact line in the edited version off the top of my head just the general recollection that it was different.

And yes to everything else you mentioned in the post, they REALLY were trying to appeal to the DBZ dub fans in the final two arcs with those references.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:57 am

One of the best things about OG Big Green is that, when he gets to the throne, he basically makes crime legal. Or even better, he forbids the concept of law and order.
And man, his plan of destroying one city every year. IIRC, he'd do that every May the 9th and the lucky winner would be picked out from some type of lottery.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:08 pm

Yes, the first time I heard Sabat's King Piccolo years after the epiode first aired I was just like "Oh, that's just his Vegeta voice"
It really did sound more or less the same as Sabat's then current Vegeta performance. (Once he had evolved it out of the awful Brian Drummond impression of DBZ Season 3)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:44 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 am Unless i'm mistaken, i seem to recall the edited Toonami broadcast of FUNi's dub of this episode using different lines in the above scene. Where Tambourine doesn't flat out say he killed the bear kid's dad (whereas we can tell he wasn't, there's no blood or claw marks anywhere on him and his shirt was merely ripped open by that swipe) as in the uncut version, and it's actually closer somewhat to the original though again that was 20 years ago, so i don't recall the exact line in the edited version off the top of my head just the general recollection that it was different.
Oh wow, I haven't seen the TV edit. It's weird Funimation would go out of their way to add an implied death that didn't occur in the Japanese version when they covered it up in so many other ways for the Toonami broadcasts, like cutting Man-Worlf's dead body floating down the river, Kuririn's skeleton and apparently Cymbal continuing to groane after being sliced in half as if he was in excruciating pain. You would think any death and harm would be toned down in as many ways as possible.
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:57 am One of the best things about OG Big Green is that, when he gets to the throne, he basically makes crime legal.
Funnily enough, by pure coincidence in the Blue Water dub for episode 113 one of the guard says "We have a situation here; a big green situation!", just under a year before the Big Green dubs aired on Toonami UK, and when they were available in stores.

But yeah, King Piccolo masquerading the legalisation of crime as enforcing universal freedom was the ultimate act of manipulation. The epitome of pure evil.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:41 pm

Another cut I recall was that part of Suno aiming the gun at King Piccolo and it looking like he took her out for a sec. Kids and guns was kinda touchy back then and got censored in a lot of anime around that time.

And I'm paraphrasing, but did like King Piccolo's last words, "Go my son. Avenge me! Destroy all my enemies!" While not quite word for word in the subs and Viz's translation, about the same idea.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:11 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 am
Tambourine also implies the father bear was dead in episode 106, contradicting the sounds and movements he was making (even in Funimation's dub) that made it clear he was alive and was merely hurt by Tambourine.
Unless i'm mistaken, i seem to recall the edited Toonami broadcast of FUNi's dub of this episode using different lines in the above scene.
Apparently the edited dub changed "Giran was a job, your father I killed for fun" to "Giran was a job, your father I did for fun"

https://web.archive.org/web/20040103191 ... ep106.html

Not surprising since I'm pretty sure Toonami had a strict "no saying the word kill" policy that only DBZ seemed to be allowed to break and only sometimes.