"Toyotaro Drew It!!" Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

"Toyotaro Drew It!!" Discussion Thread

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:29 pm

Since late 2017, Toyotaro has provided monthly sketches of various Dragon Ball characters, specifically those who haven't had major appearances in his Dragon Ball Super manga. The characters range from all corners of the franchise, from the manga to the anime to the movies. A link to the full gallery can be found on Kanzenshuu and is regularly updated, often coinciding with that month's Super manga chapter. https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... o-drew-it/

Toyotaro initially started out with pen-and-paper sketches with a grainy, earthy detail to them. Most of them are drawn in something closer to his usual manga style with digital adjustments, but he has since moved onto a more colourful, simplistic style for the more "cartoony" characters, similar to Toriyama's modern concept designs. Though Toyo rarely bothers in later entries, many of the sketches are accompanied by fairly detailed descriptions of the character. Sometimes, these descriptions contain neat semi-official fan theories from Toyotaro about how the character fits into the continuity of the manga, with some broad brush strokes applied.

Anyway, this isn't necessarily a ranked list, but just some that I find especially well-made or interesting from a lore perspective.

Bardock

"Iconic" may be a stretch to say here, but I feel that out of all the TDI sketches, this one possibly made the most impact and even inspired some fan-art of its own. Bardock is one of those characters who is often portrayed with an undue amount of glamour and reverence, particularly in spin-off media and fan-art, where he thrives most. Toyotaro completely subverts that trend here with a very visceral, decidedly unglamorous portrayal of a low-class Saiyan foot soldier doing what they're born and bred to do: slaughter civilisations and eat their remains. Of course, the drawing harkens back to Vegeta and Nappa's introduction in Ch. #204, where Vegeta can be seen casually munching on some defeated alien's corpse.

There's a real simian vibe to Bardock here. He's barefoot, battle-scarred and scowling, with what seems to be like some shin hair, though that could just be shading. Most Saiyan characters have no body hair at all, so that would be refreshing if it were true. Whereas Vegeta exuded "alpha" gorilla energy, Bardock instead resembles a "beta" chimpanzee forced to eat scraps in the corner. Bardock actually appeared several times in Toyotaro's sketches before finally making a major appearance in the Super manga, but this is my favourite one of him.

Onio and his Wife

In spite of its clear status as a parody manga with almost no regard for continuity with Dragon Ball, some still view Neko Majin Z as the definitive Toriyama-penned coda to his longest-running manga. Toyotaro takes that to its logical conclusion here by portraying Onio as one of the several Saiyans to survive Planet Vegeta's destruction. Onio still looks like his usual clueless Sourman-esque self, with his wife being too preoccupied about finding a new vacation planet to notice, but it's cool to see him react with some concern that his home planet may have just exploded. What's more interesting than the drawing itself is Toyotaro's list of all surviving Saiyans in his personal head-canon combining the anime and spin-offs, coming up with nine in total: Onio, Kakarrot, Vegeta, Nappa, Raditz, Broly, Paragus, Tarble and... Tullece? I'm surprised that Tullece has yet to be drawn. Toyotaro isn't afraid of portraying characters in new and unfamiliar ways, so I'm looking forward to when he eventually gets round to it.

Belmod (Pride Trooper)

As Belmod is evidently Toyotaro's favourite Hakaishin design (besides Beerus), he got around his usual rule against Super era characters by portraying a "what if" scenario involving a younger, presumably mortal Belmod as a member of the Pride Troopers, just as he is apparently about to leave the group. Flashback scenes in the Super anime show that the Pride Troopers gathered around Jiren, inspired by his unparalleled strength. However, in the manga, Belmod confirms that the Pride Trooper organisation existed long before, and Jiren only joined them at the request of his master Gicchin as a lesson to learn the value of teamwork. The idea that Belmod was once a Pride Trooper himself, millennia before the events of the series, is a really interesting idea and I wish it would be incorporated into the canonical story somehow. It's cool that Toyotaro's "head-canon brain" from his AF days still ticks along in the background, and once again, he demonstrates his skill at drawing battle-damaged characters.

Damn, Belmod sure has a tight ass for a clown.

Gregory

This one is purely here because I happened to be reading Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis with its protagonist Gregor Samsa, who likely inspired the name of Kaio-sama's insect pet. The drawing is nice, it's fun to see a bit character like Gregory take a more dynamic pose. But once again, Toyotaro's little comment got me thinking. Toyotaro has been criticised for occasionally sneaking in minor "anime-isms" into the Super manga, which apparently dilute the series' authority as a true sequel to Toriyama's manga. If you're some kind of medically-classified idiot who can't tell the difference between a still comic book and an animated television cartoon, you can use the existence of Gregory as a good litmus test to determine which medium/continuity you're watching. Toyotaro, in an effort to stay consistent to Toriyama's manga, makes no reference to Gregory in his sequel comic, whereas the Toei anime production continues to include Gregory on Kaio's world alongside Bubbles. Checkmate, animetheists.

Unnamed Crocodile who lost to Kuririn at the prelims of the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai

I'm frankly surprised that Unnamed Crocodile who lost to Kuririn at the prelims of the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai didn't get drawn earlier, what an icon, he should return in the Super manga. Just think. "Unnamed Crocodile who lost to Kuririn at the prelims of the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai vs. Gas, Part 2".

Anyway, I like that this croc was only drawn as a reference to This Croc Will Die in 100 Days. For a while, Toyotaro got into a habit of drawing obscure characters to piggyback on current pop cultural trends. He's basically saying "hey, mermaids are popular - guess what, Dragon Ball has one!" Another example is his drawing of Tapikar and Tapion drinking bubble tea when that was the big global fad.

What are some of your favourites?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: "Toyotaro Drew It!!" Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:49 pm

Good thread.

I don't recall all of his sketches, but Zarbon's comes to mind, also Janemba I think. He did that fat Ginyu member that debuted on Kakarot, too, Bonya or Bonyu. I love his Vermouth sketch, it tells a story, it isn't just another drawing.
I love the latest one, with Haiya dragon and adult SH Gohan, both already grown up. Too cute, I'd love to see that in canon. It also tells some type of story, these old friends meeting after a long time.

I disagree about Bardock looking beta, though. He's making eye contact, he's defiant, I don't see a beta doing that. Seems more like Toyo is having a feral Bardock staring at other prey or his own squad. To me he's about to call out somebody on something.

Would be great to have all of his drawings on this thread. I think I've seen a Twitter thread with most of them.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:22 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:49 pm Would be great to have all of his drawings on this thread. I think I've seen a Twitter thread with most of them.
The page in our "Translations" archive that LoganForkHands73 linked at the beginning of his post has every single image and our translation of every single comment:

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/special-project-toyotaro-drew-it/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:26 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:29 pmWhat's more interesting than the drawing itself is Toyotaro's list of all surviving Saiyans in his personal head-canon combining the anime and spin-offs, coming up with nine in total: Onio, Kakarrot, Vegeta, Nappa, Raditz, Broly, Paragus, Tarble and... Tullece?
Quite a good number, but I'd take it to twelve. Broly and Paragus appear twice, as there are two of them now. And then there is Bardock.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:29 pmToyotaro has been criticised for occasionally sneaking in minor "anime-isms" into the Super manga, which apparently dilute the series' authority as a true sequel to Toriyama's manga. If you're some kind of medically-classified idiot who can't tell the difference between a still comic book and an animated television cartoon, you can use the existence of Gregory as a good litmus test to determine which medium/continuity you're watching. Toyotaro, in an effort to stay consistent to Toriyama's manga, makes no reference to Gregory in his sequel comic, whereas the Toei anime production continues to include Gregory on Kaio's world alongside Bubbles. Checkmate, animetheists.
But then enters Ooishi Naho.

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:29 pmWhat are some of your favourites?
Lunch, Janemba, Ozotto, Bardock, Toma, Serypa, Pambukin and Tottepo, Sealas and Raditz. Hopefully Toyotaro also draws Gine and the other girls too.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:22 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:49 pm Would be great to have all of his drawings on this thread. I think I've seen a Twitter thread with most of them.
The page in our "Translations" archive that LoganForkHands73 linked at the beginning of his post has every single image and our translation of every single comment:

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/special-project-toyotaro-drew-it/
Oh, thanks! I totally overlooked that!

I did not remember Ginyu getting his famous body. Love it, I really like when he tells a story or a situation.
Loved Lunch, Tapion is fantastic, too. His Man-Wolf takes are really good, too. The Before and After.
Raditz with a confused dead Bardock are good.
Ro Kaioshin running away from that witch.
Mutaito, Kame Sennin and the Crane guy, too.

Broly and King Cold do not work for me. The angle I guess?

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:13 pm

I really like when he goes crazy on the details like Mummy Man, Bora or Nail.

My favorites however are the ones that expand on the lore: Ginyu, Belmond, Bardock’s old crew… I noticed he released a pretty cute Adult Gohan and Icarus too.

On the same lore reasoning, the King Chappa and Oob one really bothers me. It’s not even the art itself (I’m glad to see someone actually age in the series), but suggesting Chappa trained Oob when Oob never even trained before Goku is weird.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:56 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:49 pm Good thread.

I don't recall all of his sketches, but Zarbon's comes to mind, also Janemba I think. He did that fat Ginyu member that debuted on Kakarot, too, Bonya or Bonyu. I love his Vermouth sketch, it tells a story, it isn't just another drawing.
I love the latest one, with Haiya dragon and adult SH Gohan, both already grown up. Too cute, I'd love to see that in canon. It also tells some type of story, these old friends meeting after a long time.

I disagree about Bardock looking beta, though. He's making eye contact, he's defiant, I don't see a beta doing that. Seems more like Toyo is having a feral Bardock staring at other prey or his own squad. To me he's about to call out somebody on something.

Would be great to have all of his drawings on this thread. I think I've seen a Twitter thread with most of them.
Thanks, I had this thread on the backburner for ages but I wasn't sure anyone would care as much, lol. I saw the most recent Gohan/Haiya Dragon picture posted in the manga thread and thought "why not".

Yeah, Zarbon looks cool. He always looks so much better with the dark armbands rather than bright pink ones.

I suppose by "beta", I don't mean the way it's applied to humans, more like worthy claimants to the alpha throne (I know the whole Alpha Wolf theory was debunked years ago, but hierarchies in animal societies are still a thing and the younger challengers are always the most dangerous). Bardock definitely has that energy, like he's biding his time to strike at somebody but currently too busy munching on this twig of gristle.
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:13 pm I really like when he goes crazy on the details like Mummy Man, Bora or Nail.

My favorites however are the ones that expand on the lore: Ginyu, Belmond, Bardock’s old crew… I noticed he released a pretty cute Adult Gohan and Icarus too.

On the same lore reasoning, the King Chappa and Oob one really bothers me. It’s not even the art itself (I’m glad to see someone actually age in the series), but suggesting Chappa trained Oob when Oob never even trained before Goku is weird.
Bora and Nail were strong considerations for my OP! I couldn't think of much to say about them other than they look really fucking cool. :D

Some of them, you definitely have to take a grain of salt with. The Chappa/Uub one doesn't do much for me either. It's just like... Uub trained with this recurring runner-up from the old tournaments because they both look vaguely South Asian, I guess? Not the most compelling connection to make.
Grimlock wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:26 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:29 pmWhat's more interesting than the drawing itself is Toyotaro's list of all surviving Saiyans in his personal head-canon combining the anime and spin-offs, coming up with nine in total: Onio, Kakarrot, Vegeta, Nappa, Raditz, Broly, Paragus, Tarble and... Tullece?
Quite a good number, but I'd take it to twelve. Broly and Paragus appear twice, as there are two of them now. And then there is Bardock.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:29 pmToyotaro has been criticised for occasionally sneaking in minor "anime-isms" into the Super manga, which apparently dilute the series' authority as a true sequel to Toriyama's manga. If you're some kind of medically-classified idiot who can't tell the difference between a still comic book and an animated television cartoon, you can use the existence of Gregory as a good litmus test to determine which medium/continuity you're watching. Toyotaro, in an effort to stay consistent to Toriyama's manga, makes no reference to Gregory in his sequel comic, whereas the Toei anime production continues to include Gregory on Kaio's world alongside Bubbles. Checkmate, animetheists.
But then enters Ooishi Naho.
I do wonder how Toyotaro reconciles two sets of Brolys and Paraguses (Paragi?) if he includes the movie-exclusive Saiyans. What's odd is that he seems to lump Tullece with Tarble as if they're both extras.

Gregory in a manga... it just feels so wrong.

Good choices. Ozotto is a good one. It's definitely cool to see Bardock's original squad talk to Bardock's new partner Leek over the intercoms, and seeing what they were up to during the Broly movie.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:47 pm

I lean toward his Lunch illustration being the best of the lot, and among the better single-character illustrations in DB in general.

Wish he’d break out that style more for volume covers, or that DBS had proper title/cover pages for each chapter.

He had a brief spell of depicting characters as gangly meat monsters (fair enough) in cover and site illustrations, particularly in the late Moro arc, which his Bora and Mummy-Man fall into, that I’m less fond of, but hey, it’s distinct.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:31 pm

I like Toyo-tarou's Onio illustration the best because it manages to dodge his weird linework when drawing baggy clothes or musculature.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:11 am

I don't really care for the drawings with more "realistic" shading and facial proportions (i.e. Lunch and Broly), but regardless, this series is generally a nice showcase of how much his art has improved over the years. 90% of these are at least decent, and often very good.

Personal favorites are the ones of Belmod, Raditz, and Tenshinhan. That recent Gohan/Hire Dragon piece is nice too, and I actually do prefer the thicker linework when it's there.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:30 pm

Cipher wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:47 pm I lean toward his Lunch illustration being the best of the lot, and among the better single-character illustrations in DB in general.

Wish he’d break out that style more for volume covers, or that DBS had proper title/cover pages for each chapter.
Interesting choice. His Lunch drawing is okay but doesn't stick out to me as anything too special. She has a nice smirk and the detail on the gun is nice, I guess. Tbh, I'm not a huge fan of Lunch so I may be biased.
He had a brief spell of depicting characters as gangly meat monsters (fair enough) in cover and site illustrations, particularly in the late Moro arc, which his Bora and Mummy-Man fall into, that I’m less fond of, but hey, it’s distinct.
I... sorta know what you mean, but also not sure I do at all :lol: You mean when he started drawing characters with more detailed musculature? They may be meat monsters but I'm not sure I'd call them gangly, lol.
I like Toyo-tarou's Onio illustration the best because it manages to dodge his weird linework when drawing baggy clothes or musculature.
Toyotaro does love those MC Hammer pants.
I don't really care for the drawings with more "realistic" shading and facial proportions (i.e. Lunch and Broly), but regardless, this series is generally a nice showcase of how much his art has improved over the years. 90% of these are at least decent, and often very good.

Personal favorites are the ones of Belmod, Raditz, and Tenshinhan. That recent Gohan/Hire Dragon piece is nice too, and I actually do prefer the thicker linework when it's there.
Agreed, I'm not a fan of the realistic shading in his earlier drawings, the aesthetic just feels off in most of them. The angle and proportions on his Broly drawing are especially odd. I suppose he really wanted to give Broly some gravitas. Toyotaro is better at the thicker linework, IMO.

Another thing that's a bit disappointing is when he draws a whole category of characters over several months, like when he drew all the Anyoichi Budokai characters (plus Papoi, which was a nice surprise) and all the RR Androids in the build-up to Super Hero. That said, his Android #13 drawing was surprisingly rad. I prefer when he gives random, unexpected characters some spotlight.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:57 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:30 pm I... sorta know what you mean, but also not sure I do at all :lol: You mean when he started drawing characters with more detailed musculature? They may be meat monsters but I'm not sure I'd call them gangly, lol.
"Gangly" was probably not the right word. "Gristly"?
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:13 pm On the same lore reasoning, the King Chappa and Oob one really bothers me. It’s not even the art itself (I’m glad to see someone actually age in the series), but suggesting Chappa trained Oob when Oob never even trained before Goku is weird.
Someone had trained him. He wasn't entering the Tenkaichi Budokai for nothing. He was already known to be a competent/expert fighter in his own village.

He just wasn't used to big-time competitions or the level of superhuman fighting Goku showed him.

Unless he has a line specifically about never having trained that I'm not remembering.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:40 pm

What a fun topic. Cool stuff.

I have to agree with Koitsukai that I really like the pieces that are telling a little story for that reason (so things like the Ginyu body switch, Belmod leaving the Pride Troopers, etc.); they just have that little bit extra engagement factor besides just being pretty set-piece art (which most of it is).

I have to dissent from what appears to be the consensus and voice appreciation for the Broly piece and its scribble-drawing aesthetic; it's not all that often we get to see Toyotarou deviate from his established style when doing these (his little 'early Dragon Ball throwaway characters' stint notwithstanding), and if anything I'd like to see him mix in a little more experimental stuff on occasion. I really liked the 'other takes on Dragon Ball' stuff that came out from a bunch of established mangaka many years ago (even if I didn't like all the pieces), so it'd be cool to see Toyotarou do a little more of that too.

From the rest of it: the Android 13 drawing is, indeed, rad; I also like the cleanness of the Tenshinhan drawing which gives it a slightly 'current-style Toriyama' sensibility which I find very pleasing (like Mr Baggins, I too like the thicker linework when it shows up). The Bardock piece is really good too (both the original and the version, tail re-inserted, that appears in the front matter of Volume 11 - actually, Cover and front-matter art would be another good candidate for a topic like this, thinking about it), and I also like the Colonel Silver piece.

Re: "Gristly Bora" - that piece really did feel like a Left-Swerve when it came out; like a 'Holy Street Fighter Muscles on Muscles, Batman' sort of dealie. It's a good drawing (and clearly Toyotarou was making his attention to muscle reference works pay off), but damn it's jarring.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:07 pm

So, Toyotaro finally got around to drawing Cooler in his Final Form. Surprised it took this long, if it took much longer I would be half-expecting him to actually appear in the manga.

I really like the composition on this one. Toyotaro often frames the movie characters a special amount of gravitas with unusual, dynamic posing, and this is no different. Although Cooler is muscled and armoured, he always has this ape-like agility to his movements which is reflected really well here. He looks like he's on the backfoot and preparing to strike back against his opponent. While the mask may conceal much of his face, Cooler can always express himself with his eyebrows and body language like this. Nice to also see the return of the "Goku staring down Freeza" giraffe neck.

The novelty may have died down, but the reveal that Freeza has a big brother with an even bigger fifth transformation up his sleeve must've been such a visceral hype moment for viewers back in the day, as Toyotaro reflects on in his accompanying comment.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:52 pm

Cooler knows how to play a game of Twister

I ain't judging
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:17 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:52 pm Cooler knows how to play a game of Twister

I ain't judging
He went up Karin’s Tower to play it with Yajirobe. :wink:

Shame there are no female Freeza clan specimens around to join in. :(

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed May 03, 2023 4:22 pm

Another win from Toyotaro

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.