What Can A Tournament Of Power Part II Offer?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What Can A Tournament Of Power Part II Offer?

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:53 pm

I think the last TOP proved that the current team doesn't have the ability, time or interest to create a large roster of interesting, memorable new characters. If we see another tournament I'd hope that it's smaller scale and focuses on existing characters or a small number of new contestants... or, even better, start out as a tournament that quickly branches off into a different story, as in the tournament that's interrupted by Babidi's goons.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:50 pm

I'd like to see the universes compete against each other again but without the threat of erasure.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:20 pm

I don't think it could provide anything that the existing ToP arc already has. If DB ought to revisit the characters from the other universes, then it should do it one-by-one to facilitate more detailed characterizations and worldbuilding.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:06 am

"hey, Hedo, now that you are on our side, can you please create half a dozen of Gamma androids and perhaps another Cell Max or two?"

And that's why they can't have another tournament of power without looking stupid.

Not that being stupid ever stopped them, e.g. "hey, Shenron, I know you can't defeat Nappa and Vegeta, but can you please redirect their spaceships towards the Sun?"

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:12 am

nineko wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:06 am "hey, Hedo, now that you are on our side, can you please create half a dozen of Gamma androids and perhaps another Cell Max or two?"

And that's why they can't have another tournament of power without looking stupid.

Not that being stupid ever stopped them, e.g. "hey, Shenron, I know you can't defeat Nappa and Vegeta, but can you please redirect their spaceships towards the Sun?"
That first point is only True if it's a life and death thing. Also machines might not be allowed, the machine universe could be living machines in some way.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:14 pm

The first ToP was a complete dud due to the fact that we knew the crew was gonna survive since the series was a midquel. The other weak point was that we were promised a Royal Rumble with everyone fighting at once but all we got was a bunch of smaller fights with mysterious dark backgrounds to mask the lack of activity surrounding the fighters.
Honestly, it's the least tense tournament we''ve seen in all of Dragon Ball.

Even GT's World tournament was better and that was only 1 episode.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:11 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:14 pm The first ToP was a complete dud due to the fact that we knew the crew was gonna survive since the series was a midquel. The other weak point was that we were promised a Royal Rumble with everyone fighting at once but all we got was a bunch of smaller fights with mysterious dark backgrounds to mask the lack of activity surrounding the fighters.
Honestly, it's the least tense tournament we''ve seen in all of Dragon Ball.

Even GT's World tournament was better and that was only 1 episode.
manga did close to that

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:23 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:53 pm I think the last TOP proved that the current team doesn't have the ability, time or interest to create a large roster of interesting, memorable new characters. If we see another tournament I'd hope that it's smaller scale and focuses on existing characters or a small number of new contestants... or, even better, start out as a tournament that quickly branches off into a different story, as in the tournament that's interrupted by Babidi's goons.
To be fair to Toei, Toriyama's plan for ToP was insane, having a tournament with 80 characters is just too much, and even Toriyama himself at his peak would come up with mostly mediocre characters if he tried that lol.

I think the tournament would benefit a lot if it had less contestants per universe, or less competing universes, or both... At the very least we got four universes as blank slates in what they contain, but I think it should be more that didn't participate... Hell we could even have something like, have two mirror universes, but only one of them has a high points system, instead of making every mirror be in the same situation (Since universes that mirror each either both sucked or both were competent).
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.