Sign and True Ultra Instinct are the same thing

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Sign and True Ultra Instinct are the same thing

Post by Alkiser » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:02 pm

In November, using the V-Jump guide, more accurate information came out confirming that Goku's form for use against Gas was UI Sign. For a long time I wasn't so sure because there was some confusion about this especially since the name True Ultra Instinct which has origins on the official Dragon Ball website started to come into use, which everyone (including me) started to take as the name of the new form instead of simply giving its meaning in reference to Goku's Saiyan nature, through which Goku combined emotions with Ultra Instinct sign making UI more natural for him.

I'm curious if the people who work on the site weren't sure about it themselves, or if Toyotaro himself wasn't sure if he was drawing an omen or a completely new form.

Source:
https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... qiYrw&s=19

https://dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1272.html

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: Sign and True Ultra Instinct are the same thing

Post by Miracles » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:20 am

To many of us, this is old news my friend.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Sign and True Ultra Instinct are the same thing

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:34 pm

It's a tricky situation because the manga is establishing the lines where Ultra Instinct's status as a technique and a transformation begin and end. It's shown at the start of the arc that Goku can already use the technique of Ultra Instinct in his base form, but he still needs to rely on transformations to get the most out of the technique because his mind and body haven't fully adapted to it. So I accept that "True Ultra Instinct" is a variation of Sign, I believe Goku even said as much, but I think he was able to evolve it into something slightly new. Toyotaro later gives the emotional Ultra Instinct a more distinct design with the same eyes but completely black hair, no highlights. As Goku gets closer to reconciling his Saiyan emotions with Ultra Instinct, the closer he looks to his natural base form. Narratively, that makes sense to me.