Bootsy Collins in Trunks Special

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Bootsy Collins in Trunks Special

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:17 pm

It's been many years since I've seen it and my dvd is in storage, but I remember hearing something of one of the songs in the dub of the History of Trunks special was done by Bootsy Collins. For those not familiar, he's a legendary bass player known for work with Parliament Funkadelic, and younger guys may know him as one of the DJs in GTA V. As it's been a bit, thought would ask, how was the song he was in? Was it a funk song, or hip-hop track? And was it ok, or more of a "DBZ and Funk don't mix" kind of thing?

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Re: Bootsy Collins in Trunks Special

Post by fleahop » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:39 pm

I believe Bootsy was involved with a number of the tracks, but an actual source eludes me at the moment.

All I remember for sure was being absolutely blown away when I realized that Bootsy Collins was involved because I only knew his funk. Here is a link to one of the songs he featured on.

For those that somehow don't know, this track fit perfectly with the tone of the special and was very much in-line with the style of Funimation dub DBZ music.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:00 pm

fleahop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:39 pm

For those that somehow don't know, this track fit perfectly with the tone of the special and was very much in-line with the style of Funimation dub DBZ music.
Something about these two statements feels contradictory...

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:00 pm
fleahop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:39 pm

Something about these two statements feels contradictory...
😆 I get what you're saying.

I guess what I meant was, "...this track fit perfectly with the tone of the special if you enjoy the synth-rock of the Funi dub."

To some I'm sure this track is a crime against humanity.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:47 am

fleahop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:51 pm To some I'm sure this track is a crime against humanity.
Hyperbole aside, I love the P-Funk guys and have enjoyed most of the stuff I've listened to from them....but the stuff Bootsy produced here is in line with the rest of that replacement score, meaning it just doesn't fit Dragon Ball for me.

Someone in another thread said that the Faulconer replacement score works better as video game music and I feel Bootsy's stuff here is in the same ballpark- It would work better as video game music (it sounds like some of the heavier, guitar-based tracks you'd hear in say, Dokkan Battle for example).