Could foreign dub casts be a thing of the past?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Re: Could foreign dub casts be a thing of the past?

Post by ATA » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:40 am

Jord wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:08 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:48 pm
ATA wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:25 pm Those two voice clips sound awful. Sounded like Alexa or Siri. Dubbing by humans will never go away.
At the very least not anytime soon.
Except that major companies such as Disney are already AI as VO for smaller projects with Aladdin's VA as an example. This will only increase in the future as technology improves.
I think you're overestimating. In my lifetime I highly doubt dubbing will be erased by AI Dubbing. Now the generations that come after me? Maybe. I love technology but I can't see AI dubbing replacing voice acting. Maybe it'll be useful for smaller projects, if an actor passed away, robotic characters(Like Android 16), or non important characters. Obviously things will improve but the two links you provided did not sound human at all
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:18 pm

So where is the evidence that these two videos are even AI? I believe that they likely are but there's no proof given in either of those links. Also, who is the uploader? Do we know anything about them either?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:52 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:18 pm So where is the evidence that these two videos are even AI?
With all due respect, having ears for one thing.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:42 pm

I said I believe they’re likely AI. (But in fairness, the Ryo one is significantly better than the other)

But it’s still an assumption with no known information on where these audio files came from and who made them. They’re just random YouTube videos with no context.

And as I’m sure you already know, there’s a ton of bad human VA acting out there that sounds terribly robotic :lol:

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:00 pm

Inkei9001 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:58 am
I only show excitement for the Horikawa one. And that's because I found it pretty crazy to hear Horikawa's voice speaking English and I much prefer that over every English dub Vegeta voice we've ever gotten.
For the record, Horikawa actually does speak fluent English. Horikawa speaking English.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:10 pm

I was actually toying with this a bit myself before I knew anyone else was and I got some interesting results. I fed a line from the Buu arc from Piccolo and used Toshio Furukawa and I think it sounds pretty good. Aside from being an interesting novelty I'm not sure I see much real-world application... yet.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:59 pm

The Son Goku one reminds me more of MasakoX than Masako Nozawa. I wonder if MasakoX is just that good as an English-speaking Son Goku or if the person who made these used him as the template.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:05 pm

As a Voice Actor, and based on my personal experience, I don't think so, we have not reached the point to where it would even sound decent.

I participated in a Project that was initially gonna be made using AI technology to replicate the voice of the original actors, all while we were going to do the voice acting (At least that's what I understand)

I understand that after we did the entire show, Quality Control ended up "bouncing back" the completed episodes because the AI voices sounded like shit. In the end, the company had no option other than to use the voice acting we had done.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:19 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:05 pm was initially gonna be made using AI technology to replicate the voice of the original actors, all while we were going to do the voice acting (At least that's what I understand)
That doesn’t make sense. Unless you misunderstood and they just meant they were going to use AI for something specific I don’t see where the need to synthesize your entire session fits. I mean from what you’re saying at least kinda sounds like they indirectly gave you a heads up they were saving your voices to train AI models.