Non-Americans: thoughts on the Funimation dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Non-Americans: thoughts on the Funimation dub?

Post by Yuji » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:11 pm

Like it? Hate it? Never watched it and not interested in watching it? If you've watched it, do you imagine the English voice actors if you're reading the manga in English? I'm interested to see the responses. This could perhaps extend to people living outside of Anglo countries, as I think Australia and the Uk also received the dub?

As a non-American myself, I personally tolerate it but I wouldn't watch it in my free time.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-Americans: thoughts on the Funimation dub?

Post by Grimlock » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:35 pm

It seems to be a good dub, as far as we can say about the voice actors themselves. But I wouldn't watch it either, after all, I wouldn't be watching Dragon Ball to begin with. They change dialogues completely, which thus mess with everything, from a character's personality to the original author's intention. Definitely not the best way to watch or read anything.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:43 pm

If it's the one that does Super, then I love it. I grew up with latin american Z. My first watch of Super was in English and I was impressed (cause I knew english dubbing of cartoons and anime to be pretty awful). So the quality of english dubbing improved drastically. The acting is fantastic, Whis and Beerus especially and I like it a bit more than the spanish. The translation is still always more accurate in spanish though for some reason.

Kinda off topic I was also switching between the 3 options when I watched Cyberpunk and surprisingly for me I picked the english one for the whole show. It was just better in every aspect.
Last edited by dva_raza on Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:49 pm

Probably very unpopular opinion, but..as far as English dub goes, Final Bout and DBZ Movie 5&6 Filipino dub is way better.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:56 pm

It aired in the UK for certain portions of the series (Ginyu-Trunks sagas, the Fusion saga, and much later Kai and Super), and was also used for most of the home releases, videogames, and theatrical screenings.

I've always been a fan of the cast, particularly Sean Schemmel's Goku, and I maintain a huge fondness for the Faulconer score.

While I acknowledge the Z dub is fundamentally different from the Japanese version, and the acting was rough early on, it still works for me as its own thing. I get why some dislike it, but for me that's not the case. Heroic Goku still resonates with me, many of the lines sound cool and are memorable, and again I just love the Faulconer score despite the lack of silence.

I love how so many characters have their own theme tunes, and how each arc introduces a ton of new tracks to make it feel unique and not repetitive.

Funimation Kai on the other hand is well acted from start to finish, and is a sincere attempt at being a faithful product. The cast had all gotten much better from their 10 years of voicing the characters.

I'd probably recommend Kai over Z to newcomers for the pacing alone, even though I'm more partial to Z myself.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:22 pm

I find the Funi dubs from around the 2000s (when they were doing the PS2 games and the original Dragon Ball) to be somewhat tolerable, since they improved from their terrible first round with their characters. Though if I were to go through original Z and I'm given a choice, I'd probably stick to the original Japanese track. But if I were also forced to go through it with the Funi cast all the way, I'd still do OK I say. Same thing with the original DB, though I acknowledge the quality of the dubbing is superior in every way to early Funi Z.
Around the late 2000s or early 2010s (the PS3 and Kai era) is where I feel the dub stabilised enough to a good quality, since they figured out some things about the character's voices that felt more suited to the characters. Despite some recasts that some are still rolling over, I generally think the later voice cast combined with less liberties being taken with the source material helped in my perception of them.
Of course, the most accessible legal method of watching the DB series is the original Japanese tracks, so I'm probably leaning a bit more on that nowadays, but I'm not against putting on the English voice track on modern DB media if there is an option.

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:53 pm

I really didn't like the Funimation dub of Z, what especially turned me off was the change in the soundtrack, meaningless dialogue changes, add dialogue in silent scenes and several questionable voice casting choices. The same goes for GT.

On the other hand, I liked some things about Ocean's dub, like Brian Dummond as Vegeta and I have a guilty taste for Rock The Dragon.

I also have nostalgia for Budokai Tenkaichi 3 since I never bothered to play it with the Japanese voices and became familiar with several of the dub voices from that game.

Other than that, I'm not really that interested in the English dub since I'm Latin American and usually if some anime isn't dubbed in Spanish I prefer to watch it in Japanese.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:22 am

Well, I really never watched a full episode or movie in English dub, just a lot of clips, so I'm going to say my opinion based on what I've watched, I think it's a okay-to good dub but not enough to make me care about it, for me it's necessary to put nostalgia totally aside here, so imo:

Voices: I really don't like some of them, Freeza and Goten are the worst (I'm probably used to Freeza's very manly voice in the PT-BR dub, but I also prefer his JP voice much more), but some of them also are better than JP voices, examples are Pan and Videl (I think their voices sound way too pitched in JP, but I'm not sure if it's valid for me to say this cause I don't watch any other japanese series that isn't DB, so I don't know how Japanese Girls should usually sound like aside from the DB girls), plus, I think US Omega Shenlong is universally liked more than the JP one. Some of them also are....interesting, like, I really don't know how it works, but as far as I know, there is a early Funimation dub (maybe is the called "Ocean dub"?) where Vegeta have a different voice from Chris Sabat, it's a very "Snake-ish" voice, which for me sounds really weird, but in a good way, we are so used to Vegeta sounding very manly, but then we have his early voice, which for me is interesting. There's also, what I suppose is Fat Boo's early voice? I heard it in a very short clip, his voice had a really weird filter, It didn't sound bad, but I do remember thinking it was hilarious XD Plus I do think it was a good idea to give the "Goku-like" characters different voices, even though I'm used to them all having Nosawa's voice.

Translations: mostly okay, but I do prefer JP names in overall, some are really awkward, as Special Beam Cannon, I don't know if it's the translation for Makankosapo, but I don't care if it is, I prefer the original (Actually I saw a Kai clip where they kept Makankosapo, and for me sounded way better than SBC) plus some of them aren't translations, as Hercule, which for me is terrible, I can't recall of any translated names that I like more than the original, maybe Shenron and Dragon Fist only. But I do prefer the translated Movies names too.

Script changes: terrible and unnecessary imo, when I saw a lot of people talking about "Bardock is a brilliant scientist" I always thought it was a only a joke for years, then I finally decided to research it, and yeah...For me, respecting the original script is crucial, that and every single script change is really a huge letdown.

Soundtrack change: as a Kikuchi-score fan...I'll be honest, the american score isn't bad, but also not interesting, Bruce Faulconer's tracks are just completely uninspiring and forgettable, I suppose the "SSJ3 theme" is his most famous cue, right? For me it's just extremely repetitive. Menza's score is even worse from what I remember, and the vocal songs? I heard a clip of the Broly transformation where a vocal song plays, for me sounds really good, until the Vocals start, then it goes downhill. And Rock the Dragon? Stupid as its name, so f*ck it.
But there's one thing about the US score that I can definitely say it's good, Nathan M. Johnson, this guy's work slaps, his tracks definitely are what I think how the US score should sound like, of course, not all of his tracks are good, some are really just purely generic rock (I think they are mostly from the Janemba movie?), but based on what I've heard from him, damn, I need to admit, some of his tracks, I almost, almost, like more than the JP tracks! If only they sounded more natural, had less use of synth and had more interesting leitmotifs maybe...I have no idea why I don't see anyone talking about his work, and even less why everyone prefer Faulconer and Menza over him, but his music definitely speaks effort, unfortunately I can't say the same about Faulconer and Menza, everything else sounds lazy for me and it gives me the feeling that they tried too hard to make it sound Edgy.
So I definitely would've given the praise for the US score if it wasn't for two things
1: The fact that NMJ doesn't compose the entire score.
2: The Vocal songs and Rock The Dragon, a.k.a One of the Lamest songs I've ever heard.

Extra: There's one thing I personally think it was terrible from the start, the addition of swearing in their dub of Super, like, don't take me wrong, I don't have anything against swearing...but in Dragon Ball? Sorry, but for me it sounds lame as hell and completely unnecessary, it strongly gives me the feeling that they just did it to sound cool, I know DB does have some dirt jokes, but at this rate it only breaks the "for all ages" pattern, I know this can be nitpicking, but I just really feel that the franchise should stay away from swearing.

And that's it, in the end, I don't think Funimation dubs are bad, I do think they're totally watchable, but would I recommend them? No, the script changes, the uninteresting translations, the uninspired and forgettable Faulconer & Menza scores overshadowing the only true good score that is NMJ's, the unnecessary swearing in Super and, of course, god damn Rock the Dragon.
All of this is what makes me have no interest in the dub at all, honestly, I watched entire movies with the AB Group dub (a.k.a Big green Dub), only because for me it's funny.
But I never did it with Funimation dubs, I always play the games and watch the show in JP dub too.
Summary: Nice Dub but I definitely wouldn't miss it if it disappeared (maybe NMJ's score only)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:54 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:22 am as far as I know, there is a early Funimation dub (maybe is the called "Ocean dub"?) where Vegeta have a different voice from Chris Sabat, it's a very "Snake-ish" voice, which for me sounds really weird, but in a good way, we are so used to Vegeta sounding very manly, but then we have his early voice, which for me is interesting.
So basically what happened there was when Funimation were a new company they naturally didn't have the resources to carry out all of their operations inhouse. There was no inhouse cast, so they had to outsource that work to existing recording houses. For their first attempt at dubbing Dragon Ball Z seasons 1-2 in 1996 Funimation hired out Ocean Productions in Vancouver to get their recording sessions done, and actors local to the studio were cast in the roles. This first American dub of Dragon Ball Z is what many fans around the world know as "the Ocean dub". Then from 1999 Funimation started dubbing inhouse and recast the roles previously outsourced to Ocean with actors native to Texas (there was also a dub of Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle recorded in 1998 with this cast), and in 2005 they redubbed the first 2 seasons with this cast, which is the current Funimation dub most fans know today.

Brian Drummond's voice is more slimey than Chris Sabats. In interviews (the one with Geekdom101 springs to mind) Drummond said he wasn't given any pictures, but was told he was playing a Prince who was a diminutive guy and an alien, so he tried to give him a voice that fit all those characteristics while also feeling serious, the casting crew liked what he heard and he got the part. Chris Sabat began by imitating Brian Drummond, but his voice doesn't lend itself well to higher pitches, so eventually he started doing his own take, which is deeper and more regal, which I think was for the better as both actors offer their own takes on the character.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:43 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:54 am
Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:22 am as far as I know, there is a early Funimation dub (maybe is the called "Ocean dub"?) where Vegeta have a different voice from Chris Sabat, it's a very "Snake-ish" voice, which for me sounds really weird, but in a good way, we are so used to Vegeta sounding very manly, but then we have his early voice, which for me is interesting.
So basically what happened there was when Funimation were a new company they naturally didn't have the resources to carry out all of their operations inhouse. There was no inhouse cast, so they had to outsource that work to existing recording houses. For their first attempt at dubbing Dragon Ball Z seasons 1-2 in 1996 Funimation hired out Ocean Productions in Vancouver to get their recording sessions done, and actors local to the studio were cast in the roles. This first American dub of Dragon Ball Z is what many fans around the world know as "the Ocean dub". Then from 1999 Funimation started dubbing inhouse and recast the roles previously outsourced to Ocean with actors native to Texas (there was also a dub of Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle recorded in 1998 with this cast), and in 2005 they redubbed the first 2 seasons with this cast, which is the current Funimation dub most fans know today.

Brian Drummond's voice is more slimey than Chris Sabats. In interviews (the one with Geekdom101 springs to mind) Drummond said he wasn't given any pictures, but was told he was playing a Prince who was a diminutive guy and an alien, so he tried to give him a voice that fit all those characteristics while also feeling serious, the casting crew liked what he heard and he got the part. Chris Sabat began by imitating Brian Drummond, but his voice doesn't lend itself well to higher pitches, so eventually he started doing his own take, which is deeper and more regal, which I think was for the better as both actors offer their own takes on the character.
Oooooh so there are 3 Z US dubs?? Damn I never thought that the show was so damn much more popular in the US to the level that it was redubbed multiple times, that's why I wouldn't recommend funi dub for the casual viewer, but I definitely would recommend them for anyone who have interest.
No wonder why I could only find the "Doctor Bardock" thing in the Ocean Dub, they must have improved a lot, thanks for the info ^^
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:48 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:43 pm
Oooooh so there are 3 Z US dubs?? Damn I never thought that the show was so damn much more popular in the US to the level that it was redubbed multiple times, that's why I wouldn't recommend funi dub for the casual viewer, but I definitely would recommend them for anyone who have interest.
No wonder why I could only find the "Doctor Bardock" thing in the Ocean Dub, they must have improved a lot, thanks for the info ^^
It's more like one and half U.S dubs

There's Funimation's original dub which consist of the severely edited first two seasons they did for syndication with a Vancouver based cast followed by four additional seasons for Cartoon Network that were less edited and recorded with local Texas talent in-house and released "uncut" for home video.

And then there's Funimation's redub of the first two seasons to have it all available uncut with their homegrown cast that segued into partially redubbing their early in-house work but only really replacing the narrator after the Garlic Jr saga.

Gridlock

Post by Gridlock » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:24 am

I grew up watching French dub with Polish lector on top of it. It's not perfect, but it did it's job. Few years later I got to experience the Japanese version, and now that's the main version I go back to when rewatching. The Funanimation dub was the third I experienced, and I did not like it in the slightest. The voices felt wrong (especially Frieza...), and the music was terrible, tryhard edgy. Do not like. When I play DB games, first thing I do is switch voices to Japanese.

Sometimes I do wonder tho', how would I feel about it if it was my first experience of Dragon Ball.