Did they ever officially state why manga content can't be included in the merchandise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Did they ever officially state why manga content can't be included in the merchandise?

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:03 pm

Does it have something to do with licensing or is it to avoid confusion since the manga and the anime both do different things? I'm asking because it's been 5 years since the Galactic Prisoner arc and as far as I know it hasn't been mentioned in any official Dragon Ball material outside of the manga. Not even in Dragon Ball Heroes
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Did they ever officially state why manga content can't be included in the merchandise?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:26 pm

Nope. The likely explanation is just that the cartoon is the centerpiece of the media mix so they're just waiting for the cartoon franchise to be ready to restart.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Did they ever officially state why manga content can't be included in the merchandise?

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:26 pm Nope. The likely explanation is just that the cartoon is the centerpiece of the media mix so they're just waiting for the cartoon franchise to be ready to restart.
I’m not convinced that’s going to happen.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:05 pm

Because nobody cares about the manga. You want to strike when the iron's hot and that's when the character gets voiced and animated.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:15 pm

More people tend to watch stuff than read stuff. They probably want to stay behind from the manga as long as possible because they have plenty of content to adapt.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/