Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 90 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 90 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:00 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 90

対決Dr.ヘド
Taiketsu Dokutā Hedo
Showdown with Dr. Hedo

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: February 21, 2023
Publication: V-Jump, April 2023 Issue
Cost: ¥620

In Japan, the Dragon Ball Super manga is serialized within V-Jump, a monthly print magazine produced by Shueisha. V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately. The April 2023 issue of V-Jump containing Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 90 will be released on February 21, 2023.

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: February 20, 2023 (timed to the JP midnight-on-February-21st release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 90 were posted on February 14 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 90. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads so many years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.

Q: I want to learn more about what's going on with this manga's production!

A: Check out Episode #0489 of our podcast for an extreme deep-dive (with all the receipts you can eat!) into the production of the manga, including all of the ways that Toyotaro, Akira Toriyama, and Victory Uchida each individually contribute to it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr Baggins
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 90 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:36 pm

I was hoping the convenience store zombies from the movie would show up at some point. Neat.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:19 pm

Beta 7 is a delightful little design callback, as well as being visibly silly fun in his own right.

Also love Goten listening to his music and playing on his device while he rides his divine magical cloud partway to school, like it's the most normal and mundane thing in the world. Want to see that panel inked and in colour already.

While I'd like some more plot movement in this Chapter, this arc continues to be a joyous palate cleanser.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:28 am

Leaks are out. Seems like another win chapter.

At this point I wouldn't mind a mini series about Goten/Trunks high school days. Much better than the Great Saiyaman arc and such a breath of fresh air. Finally for the first time in this franchise we have a story revolving around teen Goten/Trunks.

Something like this seemed impossible to happen some time ago.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:40 pm

I liked what I saw and read of the chapter. It was pretty fine, but I don't want to get into too much details before it actually releases.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:53 pm

Seems ok. At this point everything is better that yet another Goku/Vegeta story.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:33 am

This panel got a good giggle out of me.

Another fun chapter. I love the whole cliché with the school dance. I like how Mai and Krillin got to do more in this chapter. I also really love how all these new school side characters show up regularly and feel unique from one another. The whole thing really does feel like Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Now we’re going into the retelling of the film. I hope Toyotaro changes some things to make it feel different. Seeing as how Goten and Trunks have been playing prominent roles, I hope we continue to see more of them in the retelling, rather than them just showing up to fight Cell Max.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:41 am

Well, that was an enjoyable little mini prequel/set-up act. Much like any of the arcs before Moro, it shows how good the Super manga can be when it actually focuses on the stuff that makes DB tick while also including enough content to justify 45 pages of material every month. It hasn't really done that consistently in over four years. I wish it was longer.

Too bad we're plunging straight into movie retelling territory next month. I'm apprehensive about this. If these upcoming chapters don't add anything interesting to the film's plot, or if the pacing is abysmal like the Granolah arc and devotes way too many pages to storyless action choreography, I think I'm done with the manga for a while. I don't care enough for Toyotaro's body of work to follow at least half a year or more of what's basically just him flexing his drawings for a movie we've already seen, especially if it turns out to be an inferior version of said movie that gets dragged out to hell and back like Toei's godawful TV adaptations.

We'll see. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, and it'll expand upon the movie in all the right ways to improve what's already there. But I won't hold my breath.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:55 am

I loved every moment of this mini arc. Each page was bursting with enthusiasm and personality. So many fun developments and interactions. Three chapters was the perfect amount.

The idea of a straightforward retelling does not excite me. Hopefully they find ways to keep things surprising and interesting!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:57 am

That was a fun little arc, I want more storylines like that with more prominent slice-of-life components. I really enjoyed the characters are having desires outside of the usual fighting or world-conquering nonsense. My hope is that the Super Hero arc isn't a direct and exact structural copy and in fact is more akin to Chapters #88-90.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:23 pm

That was so much fun. I could have taken a couple more months of this, but a 3 chapters mini arc was just fine. Can't say the Trunks/Mai thing has been put down for good, but at least we're seeing Mai wasn't really into teenage Trunks and is smarter than the average Earthling. But why does she complain about always getting saved when it literally just happened once?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:55 pm

I think this genre of episodic slice of life-esque story takes much better advantage of the monthly 45-page format than the usual linear action-oriented plot progression.

If the anime returns or Super continues via movies, I would enjoy if the manga serves as a companion piece, showing what the other side characters are doing while the main cast is handling the major threat, showing off like in this story how they have influenced things behind the scenes.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:24 pm

Beautiful color page.

Fantastic prequel to a fantastic movie. Wish it was longer, but it is what it is. I have no interest in getting a retelling for the next months though.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:30 pm

A fun mini arc that I think ended at the perfect time. A school dance is a new setting to dragon ball and all the hijinx with the girls and goten and Trunks got a laugh.

I'm a bit confused about this disk, didn't Trunks and goten already steal the disk and there was indeed a disk in there that had the cell blueprints? Now it's just an empty cover?

Also I don't get the hate for the mai/Trunks relationship. Sure mai is like 50 years old or whatever but she has the physicality of a teenager, is going to school like one and even though she seems to still have her memories and all that, from these chapters and her past super antics have you ever seen mai act her age? Sure if you purely look at their age in terms of how long they've been around it's straight out paedophilia, but that's not the case her.

it stands to reason she could be attracted to Trunks and vice versa. Bulma has hopefully filled Trunks in on mai's real age but the story has always seemed iffy with if anyone remembers the pilaf gang from back then.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:40 pm

nato25 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:30 pmAlso I don't get the hate for the mai/Trunks relationship. Sure mai is like 50 years old or whatever but she has the physicality of a teenager, is going to school like one and even though she seems to still have her memories and all that, from these chapters and her past super antics have you ever seen mai act her age? Sure if you purely look at their age in terms of how long they've been around it's straight out paedophilia, but that's not the case her.

it stands to reason she could be attracted to Trunks and vice versa. Bulma has hopefully filled Trunks in on mai's real age but the story has always seemed iffy with if anyone remembers the pilaf gang from back then.
The issue I have with it is that a multimedia franchise aimed at kids really isn't the place to be casually hinting towards an adult potentially dating a child. This has been something that the franchise has been slowly playing with for ten years now and perhaps reflecting back on the decisions made would be a lot better than actually doing this in projects aimed at, again, a minors of all people.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:42 pm

nato25 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:30 pmI'm a bit confused about this disk, didn't Trunks and goten already steal the disk and there was indeed a disk in there that had the cell blueprints? Now it's just an empty cover?
The disc was in the case, but Hedo trashed it when he got the case back, because he wasn't interested into the disc, the punchline here is that he only wanted to recover his autographed picture. See the fifth panel on page 46, the disc (half broken) is in Goten's hand.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:03 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:40 pm
nato25 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:30 pmAlso I don't get the hate for the mai/Trunks relationship. Sure mai is like 50 years old or whatever but she has the physicality of a teenager, is going to school like one and even though she seems to still have her memories and all that, from these chapters and her past super antics have you ever seen mai act her age? Sure if you purely look at their age in terms of how long they've been around it's straight out paedophilia, but that's not the case her.

The issue I have with it is that a multimedia franchise aimed at kids really isn't the place to be casually hinting towards an adult potentially dating a child. This has been something that the franchise has been slowly playing with for ten years now and perhaps reflecting back on the decisions made would be a lot better than actually doing this in projects aimed at, again, a minors of all people.
I've seen a couple movies and series (that one film based on a true story about the teacher hooking up with a student and that series A Teacher) where the adult didn't do the right thing in the situation and put a stop to it immediately. This doesn't seem anything like that, Mai has been reluctant to date young Trunks until even now and even then she doesn't exactly seem keen.

Is Mai just going to be forced to not find love for the next 40 years of her life? Would you rather see her with someone age appropriate because I don't think that's going to look any better. Not saying she has to date anyone but that's likely where a character of her current age would have a story about. I don't think the argument is just as simple as you make it.

Nineko, good spot, thanks for that clarifcation.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:09 pm

Wow that was a fun chapter! No, that was a fun TRIO of chapters! This sort of low stakes story keeps opens up for neat slice-of-life character interactions while providing enough action to keep me excited. The humor was histerical as well, from the phony Cleangod to the twist about the disc. Dr. Hedo was a funny villain, too, he harkens back to the villains in early Dragon Ball. I think Toyotarou has grasped the humor of Toriyama, for sure.

After the sludgy Granolah saga, this mini-arc has actually rekindled my interest in the manga. IF Toyo is doing a retelling of DBS:SH, I hope he makes a good twist on it (though I have to watch the film first).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:04 pm

nato25 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:03 pm I've seen a couple movies and series (that one film based on a true story about the teacher hooking up with a student and that series A Teacher) where the adult didn't do the right thing in the situation and put a stop to it immediately. This doesn't seem anything like that, Mai has been reluctant to date young Trunks until even now and even then she doesn't exactly seem keen.
The plotline is still being written, though, with zero self-awareness or clear messaging that the notion of Trunks and Mai getting together is bad and wrong. And now in this chapter there seems to be an indication of Mai even warming up to Trunks.
nato25 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:03 pmIs Mai just going to be forced to not find love for the next 40 years of her life? Would you rather see her with someone age appropriate because I don't think that's going to look any better. Not saying she has to date anyone but that's likely where a character of her current age would have a story about. I don't think the argument is just as simple as you make it.
What? Why would you even think that I'm arguing for Mai to need to wait forty (40) years to date someone? I only argued that the idea of the series trying to ship Trunks (who is, what, sixteen here and was 14 during the Beers arc) with Mai is the problem. I don't care if Mai is shipped with an actual adult.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:23 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:09 pm Wow that was a fun chapter! No, that was a fun TRIO of chapters! This sort of low stakes story keeps opens up for neat slice-of-life character interactions while providing enough action to keep me excited. The humor was histerical as well, from the phony Cleangod to the twist about the disc. Dr. Hedo was a funny villain, too, he harkens back to the villains in early Dragon Ball. I think Toyotarou has grasped the humor of Toriyama, for sure.

After the sludgy Granolah saga, this mini-arc has actually rekindled my interest in the manga. IF Toyo is doing a retelling of DBS:SH, I hope he makes a good twist on it (though I have to watch the film first).
I share many of the same opinions. I didn't really laugh at any of the humor because its all oldhat at this point but still found it fun so I appreciated the gags.

Something that did take me out of it a bit was Krillin knowing so much of the plot ahead of the events of the movie. Hopefully he factors into Piccolo's investigation in this adaptation otherwise it came off as unnecessary plot dumping this early in the arc with him explaining everything that Piccolo uncovers later. Other than that, this was fun. I wish we had more time for slice of life but alas, plot is afoot!

I'm hoping we get some clever swerves to keep things fresh, but now that I've written that I'm a little afraid of the changes Toyotaro might add because the movie ticked most of my enjoyment boxes as is. Oh well, if I don't end up enjoying the manga's changes I can always rewatch the movie.

**Dino Droid #1 gets two thumbs up from me. That's a crazy fun design and I love the concept of a mechanical beast hybrid. It screams Cyborg 009. And I love that it wasn't a pushover. Lots of fun little stuff like that in this chapter.
Last edited by BWri on Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-