Should the anime come back?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Should the anime come back?

Post by MuscleRobo » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:45 pm

I think the way the series has been kept on life support with just the smallest amounts of marketing and goods to keep it in the public consciousness is actually going to hurt it. By the time they announce a new show the response won't be excitement like with the original Super but annoyance like "They FINALLY did it?! About time!"

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:36 am

I don't think the anime needs to come back for my sake specifically.

Since Battle of Gods I've been saying, "If they just gave us a movie every year or three I'd be content." In fact I think I've had a similar line of thinking ever since Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return. Just give me a fun little peek into their world once in awhile to see how they're doing and I'm good.

Now, with there having been a TV anime and now that there's a manga, I'm like, "If they give us a movie every couple years plus the manga keeps coming, I'll be content."

And if a new anime does come around I'll watch it, too, but I won't be angry if it never happens.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:29 am

If it has good pre-production and new and interesting narrative ideas that don't rely on insipidly regurgitating concepts from the manga for the umpteenth time, yes.

If not, no.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:01 am

I mean, yeah I'd like that, but honestly I mainly want the anime to come back because of the fan activity around it. I want to see the anime's active fandom again, with all its hype, speculation, fan theories and memes. You just don't get the "El Grande Padre" "El Hermano" factor from the manga, to put it that way! :P You don't get the weekly release schedule either, which probably helped keep the fandom's momentum up a lot. As far as the anime in a vacuum goes, I don't need it to return, I'm fine with the manga and movie setup.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:36 pm

Oh absolutely. If done right, the Moro arc can have outstanding potential. There might also be a lot of the cut stuff from Broly that was mentioned, and what Toriyama would have loved to have included. So yeah, only stuff to be excited about IMO. Especially since the anime is not technically an adaptation of the manga, so it might diverge considerably on the details.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:06 am

At this point, no. I don't know how popular the Super manga actually continues to be since it exists in a side magazine separate from the weekly Shonen Jump which is where their main content goes. Seriously if you listen to the Kanzenshuu podcast on the Super manga someone points out that most of V Jump's content is advertisment for video games or sequel series to manga that have already ended and aren't high up on Shueisha's list of priorities. They would rather focus on producing new content to bring in new readers and make new merch than to focus on a property that already had a full run. Which is the best business move they could make.
Another point worth mentioning is that people tend to forget that the Super manga was made as an adaptation of the anime, or as a side dish to the anime's main course. It was never intended for the anime to adapt manga material since Toriyama wasn't drawing it anymore. The anime was what was expected to carry the franchise back to the mainstream while the manga was just more content to sell to make some extra bucks. You think this approach would have put the anime staff at an advantage when it came to pacing and animation production since they didn't have to follow a weekly manga schedule to adapt. They could have told new stories at their own pace. They could have made the anime seasonal to give themselves prep time to avoid the episode 5 fiasco.
But, the dropped the ball out the gate and never seemed to find a comfortable pace to work at before it was too late. I think the producer on the Broli movie even mentioned that on some interview on this website.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:12 pm

Kendamu wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:36 amSince Battle of Gods I've been saying, "If they just gave us a movie every year or three I'd be content." In fact I think I've had a similar line of thinking ever since Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return. Just give me a fun little peek into their world once in awhile to see how they're doing and I'm good.
I swear this would've been a really dignified way for the series to continue. It was absolutely my ideal too, would've made the series feel a little high-profile, like it was living up to its reputation as one of the greats. But yeah, at this point it feels like the brand has been cheapened once again, to the point where another hibernation feels ideal.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:15 pm

If it maintains the standards of the most well-animated episodes, then sure.

Also bring back the blood, ya pussies. What's wrong with showing blood?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:26 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:15 pmAlso bring back the blood, ya pussies. What's wrong with showing blood?
They do not include blood so as to make it easier to market the projects internationally and sell them to licensees.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:56 am

Given the year now, I'm more thinking of the dreaded day in which the Japanese voice cast have to retire because they're really starting to get up there in age. DB has been on air since February 1986 and they've already lost a few voice actors due to age & health complications. Toei certainly could cast sound alikes for every role but it will hurt the product at least some if the original cast is not behind it. I guess as long as Masako Nozawa is willing to scream into a mic, even if it's eventually in a bed at a old folks home, will we continue to see DB continue on for awhile longer in animation form.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think: