One Piece Episode 590 (The One Piece x Toriko x Dragon Ball Z Crossover) to Air on Toonami on March 4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Re: One Piece Episode 590 (The One Piece x Toriko x Dragon Ball Z Crossover) to Air on Toonami on March 4

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:47 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:29 am So, Crunchyroll has NO REASON to not dub those, especially since they're strapped for DB content and were desperate enough to dig this up when no one cared for it as much as the specials.
I'm not sure if Crunchyroll did dig this up out of the blue. I think it's possible that Tooanmi acquired this episode alongside the rest of "Season 16" (with the licensing issues preventing the streaming/DVD either having been resolved or just not applying to TV) and they decided to hold it back as something to promote One Piece after its small break. There's no indication thus far that Crunchyroll (the distributor) has the rights to #590, just that Crunchyroll (the studio) recently dubbed it for Toei/Toonami. I suppose the main niggle with that theory is that the previous crossover, which would have aired on Toonami in early 2022, was totally skipped.

That being said, hopefully it will get a physical release sooner or later. I'm guessing that it would be bundled with the second halves of the other Toriko crossovers and the old one-hour One Piece TV specials.

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Re: One Piece Episode 590 (The One Piece x Toriko x Dragon Ball Z Crossover) to Air on Toonami on March 4

Post by M16U3L2015 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:13 am

I think we don't know until it is dubbed in another language. If it is dubbed into Spanish and Portuguese, both dubbed by Toei, then that would confirm that it was Toei who ordered the dub and not Crunchyroll.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:31 am

M16U3L2015 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:13 am I think we don't know until it is dubbed in another language. If it is dubbed into Spanish and Portuguese, both dubbed by Toei, then that would confirm that it was Toei who ordered the dub and not Crunchyroll.
Honestly, I'm surprised this special didn't get dubbed into other languages before the U.S. Especially, when France and Mexico usually get everything good before we do (and sometimes stuff we don't even get). Like I've mentioned multiple times on this forum, France even got the Bardock and Hatchiyack special dubbed.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:06 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:31 amHonestly, I'm surprised this special didn't get dubbed into other languages before the U.S.
United States is not the first country that dubbed this special. Check this thread: viewtopic.php?t=48011