One Piece Episode 590 (The One Piece x Toriko x Dragon Ball Z Crossover) to Air on Toonami on March 4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

One Piece Episode 590 (The One Piece x Toriko x Dragon Ball Z Crossover) to Air on Toonami on March 4

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:47 pm

Per Toei Animation's Twitter. It seems to only be the One Piece episode since Toonami's schedule for the evening only has the special listed for a half-hour time slot. This means that the Toriko half of the special will likely not be included. According to a news email from Toei, this broadcast will also be dubbed. I assume that the Texas casts for all three series will reprise their roles, even though there will be a bit of actor overlap in places.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: One Piece Episode 590 (The One Piece x Toriko x Dragon Ball Z Crossover) to Air on Toonami on March 4

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:57 pm

Interesting that they got it and made a dub, considering that one of the three shows (Toriko) that made up the casts meeting never aired on Toonami in it's dubbed form and this crossover special came out almost a decade ago in April 2013, and the show itself had about a year left on TV before ending due to lackluster ratings thus why Kai: TFC's plans then changed to where it also came out in Japan rather than just internationally. It makes sense with that all in mind why the Toriko portion most likely isn't being included.

Well, this will be interesting to see since i've had the crossover special fansubbed for years and it's my other favorite of the modern era after the 2008 JSAT "Yo!" one.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: One Piece Episode 590 (The One Piece x Toriko x Dragon Ball Z Crossover) to Air on Toonami on March 4

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:43 am

Curious because I imagine many people who'll watch this will have zero idea what Toriko is considering it sort of came and went.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:19 am

Wow, they're only ten years late (guess that's how it was with DB/DBZ back in the day though). Funny enough, I read a comment on a forum that said Crunchyroll must be desperate for new DB content if they're digging this up to dub it. Also, if they can dub this special that not too many people care about, then there is no longer ANY EXCUSE as to why we don't have Episode of Bardock and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans (since France dubbed these specials a while ago). Like seriously, it's been almost THIRTEEN YEARS since Raging Blast 2 came out (crazy, right?). So, there's no reason to keep the special exclusive to a game no one's playing anymore. Hell, the 2008 special would be nice too. It's the same thing with how they recently released the YYH OVA's but didn't dub the second movie. Like, come on, we know you're capable of dubbing more than you are and it shouldn't take DBS being on hiatus for them to finally start releasing new content.

Honestly though, I'm just grateful they're dubbing new content instead of re-release after re-release after re-release. Hopefully, this special gets released on Blu-ray or DVD sometime this year too, along with Crunchyroll finally dubbing the other specials. Also, I feel so old (about to turn 26) seeing Toriko again and realizing that anime started my freshman year of high school along with HxH 2011 and One Piece getting to the New World in the anime back then too.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:42 pm

Interesting.
mecha3000 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:19 amthere is no longer ANY EXCUSE as to why we don't have Episode of Bardock and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans (since France dubbed these specials a while ago).
There is also a Korean dub of these specials.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:52 am

TheRed259 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:42 pm Interesting.
mecha3000 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:19 amthere is no longer ANY EXCUSE as to why we don't have Episode of Bardock and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans (since France dubbed these specials a while ago).
We should also have son Goku and his friends return dubbed

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:35 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:52 am
I hope there's still a chance Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return will get dubbed someday, but I don't know if Dream 9 being dubbed makes it any more likely. Crunchyroll would need to license Yo! Son Goku from Shueshia rather than TOEI, meaning it would cost more to license and couldn't be acquired as a package deal, like anything they acquire from TOEI could. I suspect Funimation (now Crunchyroll) didn't think it was worth the investment before, but hopefully they've changed their tune now. I know it was released in France after all.

If there was a Blu-Ray collection with Yo! Son Goku, Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, Episode of Bardock and this Dream 9 special I'd buy it I'm a heartbeat.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:36 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:35 am

I hope there's still a chance Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return will get dubbed someday, but I don't know if Dream 9 being dubbed makes it any more likely. Crunchyroll would need to license Yo! Son Goku from Shueshia rather than TOEI, meaning it would cost more to license and couldn't be acquired as a package deal, like anything they acquire from TOEI could. I suspect Funimation (now Crunchyroll) didn't think it was worth the investment before, but hopefully they've changed their tune now. I know it was released in France after all.

If there was a Blu-Ray collection with Yo! Son Goku, Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, Episode of Bardock and this Dream 9 special I'd buy it I'm a heartbeat.

Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return hasn't been released in France.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:40 pm

I suspect we're only getting this because Toei is (supposedly) producing the One Piece dub now and this isn't a sign of things to come. Now, if Toei could see to letting CR/Funi put out the original Boss Luffy special since it's the only one that isn't dubbed, that'd be great too.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:02 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:36 pm

Really? Has it been released anywhere outside of Japan yet? Not counting the DVD included with the US Battle of Gods limited edition.

I thought I heard it got a release somewhere else and France is usually very lucky with anything Dragon Ball.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:23 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:02 pm

Really? Has it been released anywhere outside of Japan yet? Not counting the DVD included with the US Battle of Gods limited edition.

I thought I heard it got a release somewhere else and France is usually very lucky with anything Dragon Ball.
It hasn't been released in France.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:22 pm

I remember hearing that Chris Sabat did do a dub for it and it's probably just sitting around collecting dust.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:39 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:22 pm I remember hearing that Chris Sabat did do a dub for it and it's probably just sitting around collecting dust.
Where did you hear that? And if so, can you please link it. I've been wanting these specials dubbed since I first joined Kanzenshuu back in 2016!!!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:27 am

mecha3000 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:39 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:22 pm I remember hearing that Chris Sabat did do a dub for it and it's probably just sitting around collecting dust.
Where did you hear that? And if so, can you please link it. I've been wanting these specials dubbed since I first joined Kanzenshuu back in 2016!!!
I remember watching in a video ages ago when Sabat was talking about Todd Haberkorn's role as Jaco and mention that he casted him as Vegeta's brother before. I don't remember which video it was.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:36 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:27 am
mecha3000 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:39 am
I remember watching in a video ages ago when Sabat was talking about Todd Haberkorn's role as Jaco and mention that he casted him as Vegeta's brother before. I don't remember which video it was.
Oh, you're talking about this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KTPoV-CZ5Y). I made this post (viewtopic.php?t=33047) after finding it and he was specifically talking about Raging Blast 2's Tarble not the one 2008 special Tarble. Your confusion just proves my point: RAGING BLAST 2 IS NOW IRRELEVANT IN TERMS OF KEEPING THE SPECIAL EXCLUSIVE TO IT (all caps for emphasis).

Also, while this topic has given me an excuse to talk about the specials again, let's not forget the voice of Billy from Grim Adventures voiced Chilled in DB Legends. And I LOVED his interpretation. I really hope that he comes back if they ever dub Episode of Bardock.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:53 pm

Now I have to ask was his voice similar to Billy, or being an alien, Zim?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:59 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:53 pm Now I have to ask was his voice similar to Billy, or being an alien, Zim?
It was definitely more Zim, but I think a little Billy was sprinkled in there. Whenever Billy went insane, I mean. Check it out on YouTube if you want to hear it for yourself. Honestly, that alone is worth dubbing Episode of Bardock. Although, Linda Young voicing Chilled would definitely be a nice callback to the old school DBZ dub and an allusion to how Linda Young voiced Freeza before Chris Ayres, just like how Chilled was born before Freeza as his ancestor.

Also, maybe I'm being too hopeful, but if they're only dubbing the One Piece half of the crossover special (which is only about 20 plus minutes long), maybe they'll package it with the other specials on a home release this year???

Nah. Who am I kidding? They'll just throw it on one of the One Piece home release voyage/collection sets (since it technically is a One Piece episode).

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:13 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:02 pm

The US didn't get the special on any home release of Battle of Gods. It was the Japanese Limited Edition that got it.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:01 am

I know nothing about One Piece, but isn't this a One Piece special? Funimation dubbed the TV specials for DBZ/GT, so why would this be strange for One Piece? It kind of barely relates to Dragon Ball and unfortunately, isn't really a sign of Crunchyroll dubbing the undubbed content.

I would find it really funny if the DB character(s) are recast just because it's a One Piece special rather than Dragon Ball special. I know it won't happen, but it would be one of those quirky things.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:12 am

I'm not sure how known this is among the members of this forum by Toriko was created by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi, who was convicted of child prostitution in 2002. With help from his friend Oda Ei-ichirou pushing for cross-promotion with One Piece during the serialization of Toriko (2008-2016) Shimabukuro's image was rehabilitated.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:01 am I know nothing about One Piece, but isn't this a One Piece special? Funimation dubbed the TV specials for DBZ/GT, so why would this be strange for One Piece? It kind of barely relates to Dragon Ball and unfortunately, isn't really a sign of Crunchyroll dubbing the undubbed content.

I would find it really funny if the DB character(s) are recast just because it's a One Piece special rather than Dragon Ball special. I know it won't happen, but it would be one of those quirky things.
The nature of the special using characters from three different television series from three different creators made it appear unlikely the special would be licensed. After the initial television broadcast in 2013 it took years-upon-years for the episode to be released anywhere else, not to mention the first half of the special—Toriko Episode #99—remains unlicensed and will be a piece of context clearly missing. In fact, near as I can tell, Toriko Episode #99 still has yet to be released or broadcast a second time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf