One Piece Episode 590 (The One Piece x Toriko x Dragon Ball Z Crossover) to Air on Toonami on March 4

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Re: One Piece Episode 590 (The One Piece x Toriko x Dragon Ball Z Crossover) to Air on Toonami on March 4

Post by MuscleRobo » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:08 pm

Toriko is an all time great, I'm a little sad the fujoshi market makes it so hard to collect the toys nowadays but at least it has such a dedicated fanbase! I had to spend 8,000JPY on a toy that released for 1,200 just the other day. Despite the anime having the same poor adaptation problems of a lot of shows around the time like Eyeshield 21 I found the crossovers really fun. Now if we can just get this energy into a new Toriko project back in Japan somehow!

I remember back in the day Funimation released a collection of Fullmetal Alchemist shorts with an OVA. An "odds and ends" Dragon Ball disc could be pretty fun with this "Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return" and some other stuff.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: One Piece Episode 590 (The One Piece x Toriko x Dragon Ball Z Crossover) to Air on Toonami on March 4

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:13 pm

While it won't make as much sense in Japanese, wondering if there would be a moment between Toriko, Brook and Whis.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:38 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:13 pm While it won't make as much sense in Japanese, wondering if there would be a moment between Toriko, Brook and Whis.
The episode came out nearly a decade ago

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:14 pm

Toei has posted a preview clip of the special for anyone interested. Sounds like they got Ian Sinclair back to do Toriko, which makes sense since he's local and plays Brook (don't remember if Brook has any speaking lines in this special, but the point remains).
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:08 am

OmegaRockman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:14 pm Toei has posted a preview clip of the special for anyone interested. Sounds like they got Ian Sinclair back to do Toriko, which makes sense since he's local and plays Brook (don't remember if Brook has any speaking lines in this special, but the point remains).
There's also this promo for the crossover special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx0eamEiGVQ. All things considered, it actually looks like a fun time and even more enjoyable than the Japanese version for me personally since I grew up with the dubs of all three shows. Even Toriko's moment at the end where he's like, "Uh, you okay?" just shows how much something simply being dubbed in your native language can add to the comedy. And Ian Sinclair's more chill Toriko voice compared to the Japanese version is also something I prefer. Not saying I always prefer dubs over subs, but in this case, I do. On another note, I don't know why many of you weren't sure the original Funimation voice actors would reprise their roles here. Uh, all three of these shows were dubbed at Funimation, so.....

And leave it to Toonami to make a low-stakes episode like this suddenly look epic.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:57 pm

I hope this will be dubbed in other languages too, like French.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:34 pm

Slightly off topic, but this special never received a home release in Japan, correct? Kind of strange if so, because the other two Toriko X One Piece specials apparently did.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:18 pm

wjbraden wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:34 pm Slightly off topic, but this special never received a home release in Japan, correct? Kind of strange if so, because the other two Toriko X One Piece specials apparently did.
To the best of my knowledge it has not. It was only a few years ago that One Piece Episode #590 was released digitally with a proper quality. Toriko #99 still has not.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:57 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:18 pm
wjbraden wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:34 pm Slightly off topic, but this special never received a home release in Japan, correct? Kind of strange if so, because the other two Toriko X One Piece specials apparently did.
To the best of my knowledge it has not. It was only a few years ago that One Piece Episode #590 was released digitally with a proper quality. Toriko #99 still has not.
What a weird situation lol. Guess that's the result when they make a special be two episodes across two different shows.

Speaking of, I have to wonder if Toei really sat down and realized that only half a special is getting dubbed here. What was their impetus for doing this out of the blue? Truly bizarre, but that's par for the course with Toei.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:16 am

wjbraden wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:57 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:18 pm
What a weird situation lol. Guess that's the result when they make a special be two episodes across two different shows.

Speaking of, I have to wonder if Toei really sat down and realized that only half a special is getting dubbed here. What was their impetus for doing this out of the blue? Truly bizarre, but that's par for the course with Toei.
It's weird, for sure. I haven't the faintest clue why they couldn't just produce the crossover as a separate special.

I imagine they could only dub the second half of the series for some reason, so they just rolled with it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:16 am

mecha3000 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:08 am
OmegaRockman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:14 pm Toei has posted a preview clip of the special for anyone interested. Sounds like they got Ian Sinclair back to do Toriko, which makes sense since he's local and plays Brook (don't remember if Brook has any speaking lines in this special, but the point remains).
There's also this promo for the crossover special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx0eamEiGVQ. All things considered, it actually looks like a fun time and even more enjoyable than the Japanese version for me personally since I grew up with the dubs of all three shows. Even Toriko's moment at the end where he's like, "Uh, you okay?" just shows how much something simply being dubbed in your native language can add to the comedy. And Ian Sinclair's more chill Toriko voice compared to the Japanese version is also something I prefer. Not saying I always prefer dubs over subs, but in this case, I do. On another note, I don't know why many of you weren't sure the original Funimation voice actors would reprise their roles here. Uh, all three of these shows were dubbed at Funimation, so.....

And leave it to Toonami to make a low-stakes episode like this suddenly look epic.
Alright, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong on Toriko's Japanese voice. Went back and watched the special in Japanese and he sounds just as chill as Ian Sinclair's version in parts, which is awesome. I just really wonder how they're going to release this down the line. Like I said in a previous post, I REALLY want it to be released as part of a Yo! Son Goku (rights issue, I know), Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, and Episode of Bardock home release. But technically it is a One Piece episode first and foremost, so I'd understand if it released on a One Piece home release. Is it too much to ask for both though?

Also, it really sucks that we're not getting the first Toriko half of the special dubbed because it has a lot of great moments. But honestly, the second One Piece half has its own great moments and I'm just happy we're getting this dubbed in any capacity. I'll definitely support the physical release (if it happens) whenever it comes out.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:00 pm

One Piece episode 590 is streaming on Tubi now, making its North American debut (it'll probably show up on Crunchyroll soon, too, I'd imagine).

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:32 am

Anyone else notice how the tournament is called the World Martial "Eats" Tournament in the dub? Such a cool nod to the World Martial Arts Tournament with arts and eats sounding similar and another reason why I find dubs and localization fascinating. They were able to find a workaround to the Japanese name in a creatively simple way. Just like they did with Gomu Gomu (Rubber Rubber) becoming Gum Gum (an elastic substance) in the dub, during 4Kids' time with One Piece, which carried over to Funimation.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:07 pm

wjbraden wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:00 pm One Piece episode 590 is streaming on Tubi now, making its North American debut (it'll probably show up on Crunchyroll soon, too, I'd imagine).
Do you have a link? I wasn't able to find it.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:15 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:01 am I know nothing about One Piece, but isn't this a One Piece special? Funimation dubbed the TV specials for DBZ/GT, so why would this be strange for One Piece? It kind of barely relates to Dragon Ball and unfortunately, isn't really a sign of Crunchyroll dubbing the undubbed content.

I would find it really funny if the DB character(s) are recast just because it's a One Piece special rather than Dragon Ball special. I know it won't happen, but it would be one of those quirky things.
Imagine if 4kid still had the license for One Piece. Schemmel would be th only on reprising his role and everyone else would be 4kids regulars. Dan Green as Krillin, Eric Stuart as Vegeta, I dunno Tara Jayne as Goten and Videl?

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:18 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:07 pm
wjbraden wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:00 pm One Piece episode 590 is streaming on Tubi now, making its North American debut (it'll probably show up on Crunchyroll soon, too, I'd imagine).
Do you have a link? I wasn't able to find it.
Hmm, odd. It was showing up here the other day (along with many other seasons of One Piece), but now there's only 4 seasons (up through Ennis Lobby). Maybe it's a technical glitch??

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:46 pm

Damn. No one had any thoughts on the special. Well, I guess it wasn't much anyway besides a quick excuse for a team-up. And not dubbing the Toriko half of the special made this feel a little empty. I mean, we didn't even get to see the exchange between Vegeta, Zoro, and Zebra dubbed, which sucked. Also, I kind of felt like everyone wasn't giving their all here, but then again, the material didn't really warrant too much effort. It was just nice to have this dubbed and I hope the ratings were good enough for Toei/Crunchyroll to consider dubbing more of things they skipped over.

All in all, I enjoyed it and will definitely buy it on home release if Crunchyroll does one. I mean, who ever thought we'd hear Goku and Luffy utter each other's names in the English dub? That alone makes it worth it for me. And for what's it worth, I enjoyed Toriko here too (I've already ordered the old Toriko Parts 1-4 on DVD).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:57 pm

It's a pretty shitty—if charmingly weird—special. The staff were obviously cobbling it together at the last second and there's barely any movement. Episode Director Nakashima gave the past-their-prime Shimanuki a complicated fight scene Toriko Episode #99—Gokuu, Luffy and Toriko fighting each other—and you can see it falling apart at the seems. Shida's part in One Piece Episode #590 is the one saving grace and even then it's really short.

Another big issue with the crossover is that it doesn't really explore how these characters would all probably not get along very well. The special is played far too soft and that's a terrible shame. Give me Luffy and Toriko hating Gokuu because Gokuu lets dangerous people go for their own selfish reasons! Give me scenes of these friend-loving characters clashing with Gokuu because they endangers their friends!

Crossovers are cool but the desire of these projects to make the characters get along really destroys the interesting character storylines you can do.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:24 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:46 pm Damn. No one had any thoughts on the special. Well, I guess it wasn't much anyway besides a quick excuse for a team-up. And not dubbing the Toriko half of the special made this feel a little empty. I mean, we didn't even get to see the exchange between Vegeta, Zoro, and Zebra dubbed, which sucked. Also, I kind of felt like everyone wasn't giving their all here, but then again, the material didn't really warrant too much effort. It was just nice to have this dubbed and I hope the ratings were good enough for Toei/Crunchyroll to consider dubbing more of things they skipped over.

All in all, I enjoyed it and will definitely buy it on home release if Crunchyroll does one. I mean, who ever thought we'd hear Goku and Luffy utter each other's names in the English dub? That alone makes it worth it for me. And for what's it worth, I enjoyed Toriko here too (I've already ordered the old Toriko Parts 1-4 on DVD).
I was at comicon, so didn't have a chance to talk more. But did watch it yesterday morning. Was alright. I never watched Toriko so I knew nothing about their characters. Noticed it only credited the main characters and Mr. Satan and some others weren't mentioned in the credits, for both casts. (They credited the Japanese cast too).

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:29 am

Well, my comment could very well be the last on this topic, so I'll try to make it count. If this episode ever gets released on home media (hopefully including the other specials dubbed finally?), everyone needs to support the hell out of it. I might even buy two copies just to show Crunchymation that WE DO NOT WANT RE-RELEASE AFTER RE-RELEASE AFTER RE-RELEASE. FOCUS ON ACQUIRING AND DUBBING NEW MATERIAL, PLEASE.

Most likely, they'll release this episode in one of the One Piece voyage/collection sets. But I'm hoping that since it's all through Toei, they also release it as a bonus on a Dragon Ball specials collection that includes Yo! Son Goku, Plan to Eradicate, and Episode of Bardock. I understand the rights issues with the 2008 special, but Plan to Eradicate and Episode of Bardock got dubs in France and elsewhere. So, Crunchyroll has NO REASON to not dub those, especially since they're strapped for DB content and were desperate enough to dig this up when no one cared for it as much as the specials.

I mean, seriously, it didn't even generate enough interest on this forum alone! Also, Zebra should've been voiced by Chris Sabat so we could've had a meta moment of Chris Sabat yelling at himself. Instead, they brought in Alejandro Saab for one freaking shout when the chances of Toriko getting dubbed all the way through are LOW.