How would you rank Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

How would you rank Dragon Ball

Post by super michael » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:26 pm

I am curious to see member opinions on how they rank Dragon Ball be it manga, anime, movies, ova, cross over episode, games, music, etc.

Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z I enjoy it a lot, no matter how much I read or watch it never gets boring. I believe I rank it 9/10
Dragon Ball GT while I think it is inferior compared to DB/DBZ, I still think it is good. I rank it 7/10
Dragon Ball Super Manga I enjoy it a lot, I will give it 8/10.
Dragon Ball Super Anime I think it was both enjoyable and bad at the same time, I rank it 5/10.

Now games

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 I believe it is a great game, however its RNG drags it down. So I rank it 8/10.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: How would you rank Dragon Ball

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:04 pm

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Super
Dragon Ball GT

GT was a huge letdown for me and I grew up as a kid before we had GT in America. So getting my hands on it early made me really disappointed deep down on how bad it was. Took me a long time to admit it was bad. Super was different because I knew it wasn't going to be as bad as GT. Super still had Toriyama's finger prints on it and I like the stories in Super way more than GT. Super give us Beerus, Zamasu, Hit, Moro, and a new version of Broli. We also had characters do stuff for once when everyone in GT was a plot device or a jobber other than Goku and Pan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:50 pm

Tv series
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Super
Dragon Ball GT

Movies
Dead Zone
Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
Path to Power
Bojack Unbound
Battle of Gods
Tree of Might
World's Strongest
Wrath of the Dragon
Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan
Curse of the Blood Rubies
Fusion Reborn
Mystical Adventure
Super Broly
Cooler's Revenge
Lord Slug
Bio Broly
Resurrection F
Return of Cooler
Super Android 13
Second Coming

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:20 pm

Anime:
DBS & DBGT I will give it a 6/10 because it has less episodes than DBZ so easier to watch overall.
DBZ I will give it a 5/10 because it has more episodes and so many useless moments that could have been skipped, such as staring at each other for 1min straight with 0 dialogue & stuff like that. It always bothered me and still bothers me.

Manga:
DB(Z) 7/10
DBS 7,5/10 I find DBS a lot more fun to read that's why I put it higher.

As for the movies, they are all watchable, at least once, some more than others.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:17 pm

Its hard to rank or rate DB as its been apart of my life for so long and bias is heavily skewed into one direction lol

Dragonball and Dragonball Z - 8(anime) 9(manga)/10 Both in my opinion are classic Shonen and iconic. Each have strengths in different directions while the other has a weakness. Why I rate them both the same is because I see DBZ being a natural evolution if DB flowing seamlessly from one into the other.

Dragonball Kai - 8/10 The remaster job is crap but its still DBZ and a decent less filler way to watch the show. The dub is also great.

Dragonball GT - 6/10 It's hard to watch and one cannot deny how disappointing the show was after DBZ's success. One thing I do like about the show was it trying continue storylines and characters from Z and creating imo the best concept and cap to Saiyan Lore/power

Dragonball Super - 4 (anime)/10 Super is mediocre and I've explained why I dislike the show way to many times. It has some cool moments but ring shallow when the characters and world are not well thought out. While not confirmed I also don't like how it retcons and imo ruins the end of Z.

Battle of God - 6/10 I first thought the movie was enjoyable but I really hated the Saiyan God lore. The pacing of the film is actually not bad

Resurrection F - 5/10 After not really likinh BoG I turned off my brain and did enjoy this film at first. After a rewatch and the retelling from Super...I really dislike this movie lol.

Dragonball Super Broly - 7/10 I very much enjoyed this movie mostly due to the animation. It carries this move hard as the plot has serious pacing issues. I really enjoyed some of the new characters and how they reinvented Broly but really hate the episode of Bardock parts and Frieza. The ending of the movie is also very nosey with no rests.

Dragonball Super Hero - 7.5/10 I very much enjoyed this movie as well. While It took me awhile to get used to the animation and had to turn off my brain to some of the silly new Namekian/ Saiyan Transformation. I thought overall this movie was paced better then Brolly, funny and had better character moments.

WKZ

Post by WKZ » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:23 pm

DB Manga: Good art and gets to the point. Pacin in issue in anime which destroyed a lot of moments for me: Both Goku vs Piccolo fights, Frieza vs Goku, even Gohan vs Cell, as well as particular arcs, take Ribbon Army, or Buu arc as example. In manga the issue is gone. (sometimes I feel like I'm harsh on pacing in anime as it didn't bother me first time when I watched it...neither it did on second watchthtough, after that it bothers me, could be because I've seen series few times). Personal 10/10

DB anime: DB anime is better adaptation then DBZ. It makes world full, and filler and additional scenes enhance cinematography, or enhance the story. Sometimes it drags out, but mostly it's good experience. When I read manga for the first time, it honestly felt empty. 8/10, anime slacks sometimes.

DBZ anime: Opposite of what I said about DB anime, although it's still DBZ so it ranks high. 7/10.
I would honestly rank anime 10 if not for the pacing issue.

DB Kai: I'm honestly dissapointed with Kai, it did very little to provide improvement over DBZ, funny enough Sayjan arc is the only one better in Z because of much slower pacing, Namek wasn't bad until Ginyu force arrived, after that Kai really improved, Android and Buu feel like they were not changed at all. Music sucks. 6.5/10.

GT: I like certain feel that GT have, it have more grounded atmosphere with new character design, or with setting being often cities. It has plenty of good and the same amount of bad. First arc being though watch, but here and there were some gem episodes I definitely enjoyed, afterwards series is more or less on positive note, at best it's 7.

Super manga: I remember reading it and thinking it's better than anime, looking back I don't remember anything from arcs that it shared with anime, also completely dislike arcs after ToP. 3/10

Super: I don't like anything about Super. Some fights were entertaining and had nice animation. 2/10.

Movies:
from top of my head, been long time since I've seen any. Some movies are good but most of them are just passable.
Dead Zone
Fusion Reborn
Original Broly
Cooler's Revenge
Super Broly
Wrath of Dragon
Bojack
Mystical Adventure
Lord Slug
Battle of Gods
Ruby
Tree of Might
Super Hero
2nd Cooler Movie
World's Strongest
Broly Second
Resurection of F
Android 13
Bio Broly

Games:
(of which I played)
HyperDBZ: Fanmade game but solid, despite the fact that I play only SSJ Goku.
FighterZ: Nah, it ain't that good. 95% of cast fighting the same way, and having the same assists with only minor differences is off putting. Not to mention it's reaction and blocking simulator. Although good fan project, 6/10.
Kakarot: No. Just like above good fan project, but didn't enjoyed game at all. Only thing I enjoyed was flying around. 1/10. Some say it's similar to Xenoverse, I'm not going to play Xenoverse.
Only 42 volumes are canon. Everything else is glorified fanfic.