"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Re: A new Budokai Tenkaichi has been announced

Post by BeaBumby » Sun May 14, 2023 11:55 pm

Frankly I'm just hyped cuz I know it'll be pretty.

Imagine how cool a buncha special moves will look. And I'm a resident GT liker (and I highly doubt they'll just.. not have GT in this) so I'm a sucker for any attention it'll get.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon May 15, 2023 12:04 pm

That was unexpected. But then again, when we look at what popularity has done in the past few years, it quickly becomes expected.

One thing I like to point out is how the gameplay evolved greatly with each installment. To the point that going back to the first game just after getting used to the third one is ridiculously horrible, making it unplayable. One can only wonder if this game will manage to evolve even further beyond the gameplay since Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

Looking forward to see what's in store here. I'm sure to like the presentation, as it's a 3D game, but Budokai Tenkaichi isn't really known for adding something new to the table. The last thing the franchise needs and yet another game retelling the series, and we already got one that did just that recently. The story mode should be comprised of those what-if scenarios from the past games. If they put some effort and creativity into those, it would be great to experience the story mode. I'm not expecting a new character to debut here, but that would be a plus.

They announce something only for it get months without any word since then, same problem as with the latest movie. I see marketing is still a villain in this franchise, huh. Not even knowing who's developing this is asinine.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 16, 2023 10:26 am

When should we get some news? it was in march I think when we got the first trailer, so june?

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Tue May 16, 2023 12:49 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:26 am When should we get some news? it was in march I think when we got the first trailer, so june?
Probably Summer Game Fest

The past Bandai Namco Summer Conferences have been pretty bad with news we already knew about but so was Dragon Ball Battle Hour the past few years.

Budokai Tenkaichi surprised us at Dragon Ball Battle Hour so maybe Bandai's conference in June will be more likely.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:04 pm

Did the other Dragon Ball games have such a short teaser and a long gap between its teaser and the next update?

I feel like they either had an actual gameplay trailer (fighterZ and Kakarot), a longer cinematic trailer (breakers), or information slowly released via Vjump (Xenoverse)

But all this new game got was gameplay from the previous BT games and then a 20 second teaser.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:18 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:39 pm
Noah wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:59 pm
I love how once in awhile I see people here being delusional about having manga content into the media disconsidering nothing ever related was even animated! It's clear that Toei and Bandai doesn't have any interest of that and they probably never will.
Bro just say that YOU personally hate the manga stuff and don’t want it instead of acting all high and mighty like you know for certain what Toei and Bandai does or doesn’t want to do.I don’t know why it gets you riled up when ppl say in this thread “ hey I want moro etc stuff in the games”

and considering that based off some of the reviews from Kakarot a lot of ppl are tired of playing raditz to buu ad nauseam in db video games. I’d hope they add something truly different and “new” whether it’s manga or w/e instead of the same old re-hashed story modes we played decades ago.
Not at all, I just think it's an average side comic that can sometimes be entertaining like the SDBH shorts. The problem with some manga fans is the lack of understanding that if something from there were to be addressed in a video game or any other media, it would first need to be animated or acknowledged in some way. Remember that 'Super Hero' movie avoids making any mention of Moro, Granola, or any other Toyotaro stuff.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:49 am

Posting here again wouldn't count as necroposting, right?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:25 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:49 am Posting here again wouldn't count as necroposting, right?
not really since this thread will be used for the new Budokai Tenkaichi game going forward

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:39 am

Bardock God of Time wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:25 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:49 am Posting here again wouldn't count as necroposting, right?
not really since this thread will be used for the new Budokai Tenkaichi game going forward
Oh. Cool. By the way, prepare for a wall of text.

The format is stolen from Ultimate Butoden. Missions written with bold text have a "bad end" available.

Saiyan arc

1-1
: A cutscene of Raditz's arrival, his kidnapping of Gohan, and Goku and Piccolo coming to the rescue, then Goku vs Raditz. A cutscene of Piccolo charging up his Makankosappo, then a 60-second fight between Goku and Raditz. At the end, Piccolo fires it, but it misses. Goku grabs his tail, Gohan headbutts Raditz, Piccolo charges up another and fires it, Goku dies, blah blah blah.

1-2: Boss fight - Piccolo vs Oozaru Gohan, then a cutscene of Gohan's detransformation.

1-3: Tenshinhan vs Yamcha, then Kuririn vs Yajirobe, then Piccolo vs Gohan.

1-4: A cutscene of the Saiyans arriving on Earth and planting Saibaimen, then Tenshinhan vs the Saibaiman. Cutscene of Yamcha's death, Kuririn's enraged blast, Piccolo killing that one Saibaiman, Chiaotzu and Tenshinhan's deaths. Piccolo vs Nappa, then a cutscene of Piccolo's death, Gohan's Masenko, Goku's arrival, and It's Over 9000!! Goku vs Nappa, then a cutscene of Nappa's death.

1-5: Goku vs Vegeta, then a minute long minigame of the Kamehameha vs Galick Gun beam struggle, and Vegeta going into Oozaru. Boss fight - Goku vs Oozaru Vegeta, then a cutscene of Kuririn attempting the Kienzan and Yajirobe cutting off Vegeta's tail, then Gohan vs Vegeta. Cutscene of Kuririn throwing the Genkidama at Vegeta, a short 30-second fight between Vegeta and Oozaru Gohan where your only goal is to live, and then a cutscene of Vegeta's defeat and departure.

Namek arc

2-1: Vegeta vs Cui, a cutscene, then Vegeta vs Dodoria

2-2: Vegeta vs Zarbon, Zarbon transforms, transformed Zarbon vs Vegeta

2-3: Cutscene of Vegeta's healing then getting out. Vegeta vs Zarbon

2-4: Cutscene of the Ginyu Special Force arriving, doing their poses, then leaving. Kuririn and Gohan vs Gurdo, then Vegeta vs Recoome. Cutscene of Goku fisting Recoome.

2-5: Goku vs Butta and Jheese, Goku vs Ginyu, cutscene of their bodies getting swapped.

Freeza arc

3-1: Kuririn and Gohan vs Ginyu Goku, then Vegeta vs Ginyu Goku.

3-2: Vegeta vs Jheese, then a cutscene of Goku getting into the healing tank, Porunga being summoned, Piccolo coming back, and Freeza's arrival.

3-3: Vegeta vs 1st Form Freeza, then cutscene of Piccolo fusing with Nail Freeza transforming, then Gohan raging out. Piccolo vs 2nd Form Freeza, then cutscene of Freeza transforming. Piccolo vs 3rd Form Freeza, then cutscene of Piccolo getting shot a bunch of times, then Freeza transforming. Final Form Freeza vs Vegeta, then cutscene of Goku's arrival and Vegeta's death.

3-4: Goku vs Final Form Freeza. Cutscene of Freeza doing the 50% of My Power scene, Goku taking his shirt off, and Kaio saying that Goku's using the Kaioken x10. Kaioken x20 Kamehameha, then a 60-second battle featuring Piccolo vs Freeza. Cutscene of the Genkidama being thrown at Freeza, and the aftermath.

3-5: Cutscene of Piccolo getting shot again and Kuririn dying, then Goku going Super Saiyan. Super Saiyan Goku vs Freeza, then cutscene of the I Am speech and Freeza throwing a ki sphere at Namek. Ah shit, now the planet's dying. Super Saiyan Goku vs Freeza, then cutscene of Freeza bulking up to 100%. Super Saiyan Goku vs 100% Freeza, then cutscene of Goku detransforming, Freeza throwing out his ki discs, Goku transforming, Freeza getting cut in half, Goku giving him his energy, then a ten second quick-time event of Freeza firing a Last Emperor at Goku's Angry Kamehameha. Freeza loses, Goku searches for Freeza's ship, pushes buttons on it, the ship falls into a lava ravine, Goku flies out and screams "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" then Namek explodes, and everyone gets revived.

Artificial Humans arc

4-1
: Cutscene of Freeza's arrival, then Trunks going Super Saiyan. Super Saiyan Trunks vs Mecha Freeza. Cutscene of Freeza dying, then King Cold dying, and Goku's arrival and transformation. Super Saiyan Goku vs Super Saiyan Trunks.

4-2: Cutscene of Goku going Super Saiyan. Super Saiyan Goku vs 19. Cutscene of Goku's heart disease starting to kick in, leading to Vegeta arriving and continuing the fight. Super Saiyan Vegeta vs 19. Cutscene of 17 and 18 being activated.

4-3: Super Saiyan Vegeta vs 18. Cutscene of 18 breaking Vegeta's arm. 17 and 18 vs Piccolo, Kuririn, Tenshinhan and Super Saiyan Trunks. Cutscene of Piccolo fusing with God, and finding Cell.

4-4: Piccolo vs Imperfect Cell. Cutscene of Cell escaping and trying to find 17 and 18, Goku waking up, then Goku leading Vegeta to the Room of Spirit and Time.

4-5: Piccolo vs 17. Cutscene of Piccolo's Makuuhouidan and Cell's arrival. Imperfect Cell vs 17. Cutscene of Piccolo's Gekirestu Kodan, Piccolo's defeat. Android 16 vs Imperfect Cell. Cutscene of Cell absorbing 17 and Tenshinhan's Shin Kikoho.

Cell arc

5-1: Gohan vs Goku in the Room of Spirit and Time. Cutscene of Gohan going Super Saiyan and Vegeta powering up to Super Saiyan Grade 2. Super Vegeta vs Semi-Perfect Cell. 30-second fight between SS Grade 2 Trunks and Super Vegeta. Cutscene of Cell becoming Perfect.

5-2: Perfect Cell vs Super Vegeta. Cutscene of the Final Flash, then SS Grade 3 Trunks vs Perfect Cell.

5-3: Super Saiyan Goku vs Perfect Cell. Cutscene of the Teleportation Kamehameha and Cell destroying the ring, then Goku giving up. Super Saiyan Gohan vs Perfect Cell. Cutscene of 16 failing to explode and the spawning of the Cell Juniors. Super Saiyan Goku, Super Saiyan Vegeta, Super Saiyan Trunks, Piccolo, Kuririn, Tenshinhan and Yamcha vs 7 Cell Juniors.

5-4: Super Saiyan Goku, Super Saiyan Vegeta, Super Saiyan Trunks, Piccolo, Kuririn, Tenshinhan and Yamcha vs 7 Cell Juniors. Cutscene of Gohan going Super Saiyan 2. Super Saiyan 2 Gohan vs Perfect Cell. Cutscene of Cell reverting to his Semi-Perfect form and Goku's sacrifice.

5-5: Cutscene of Trunks' death and Cell explaining how he returned. Super Saiyan 2 Gohan vs Super Perfect Cell. Cutscene of Vegeta's rage and proceeding to get bitch-slapped, then a minigame of the Kamehameha beam clash. If you fail, you get the Cell arc's Bad End: Gohan dies and Cell kills everyone else. If you win, the story goes as normal. Cutscene of Trunks returning to the Future. Trunks vs 17 and 18, then Trunks vs Imperfect Cell.

Tenkaichi Budokai arc

6-1: Super Saiyan Gohan vs Super Saiyan Goten, then Super Saiyan Vegeta vs Super Saiyan Trunks. Cutscene of Tenkaichi Budokai stuff, then Goten vs Trunks.

6-2: Cutscene of the gang descending into Bobbidi's ship. Vegeta vs Pui Pui, then Goku vs Yakon, then Super Saiyan 2 Gohan vs Dabra. Cutscene of Vegeta turning Majin.

6-3: Super Saiyan 2 Goku vs Majin Vegeta, then a cutscene of Vegeta knocking Goku out and Boo's emergence. Majin Vegeta vs Fat Boo. Cutscene of the Final Explosion.

6-4: Cutscene of Goku going Super Saiyan 3. Super Saiyan 3 Goku vs Fat Boo. Cutscene of Goten and Trunks failing fusion twice, then successfully fusing into Gotenks. Gotenks vs Fat Boo.

6-5: Cutscene of Boo splitting into Good and Evil Boo. Fat Boo vs Evil Boo. Cutscene of Evil Boo turning into Super Boo.

Majin Boo arc

7-1: Super Saiyan Gotenks vs Super Boo. Cutscene of Piccolo destroying the door and Boo escaping, then Gotenks going Super Saiyan 3. Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks vs Super Boo.

7-2: Ultimate Gohan vs Super Boo. Cutscene of Gotenks being absorbed. Ultimate Gohan vs Bootenks.

7-3: Cutscene of Goku and Vegeta arriving. Super Saiyan 3 Goku and Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta vs Bootenks. Cutscene of Gohan getting absorbed and Vegetto being created.

7-4: Vegetto vs Boohan. Cutscene of Vegetto going Super Saiyan. Super Vegetto vs Boohan. Cutscene of Vegetto getting absorbed. Super Saiyan Goku and Super Saiyan Vegeta vs Super Boo. Cutscene of everyone getting released, Super Boo turning into Pure Boo, and Earth being destroyed.

7-5: Super Saiyan 2 Goku vs Pure Boo. Transform into Super Saiyan 3; Super Saiyan 3 Goku vs Pure Boo. Goku's time runs out. 60-second fight, Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta vs Pure Boo. Minigame of Goku throwing the Super Genkidama at Pure Boo. If you lose, Goku dies and you get to fight Pure Boo again as a Super Saiyan 3, but shirtless and with a halo. If you somehow lose while dead, the Bad End triggers, where Pure Boo wreaks havoc on everything. If you win, dead or alive, the story goes as usual.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:42 am

I'd love to see some gameplay, but I guess we can count on that probably near the end of or next year.
The game is probably coming out next year right?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:19 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:42 am I'd love to see some gameplay, but I guess we can count on that probably near the end of or next year.
The game is probably coming out next year right?
Some people hypothesized that the reveal trailer was just made up quick once Bandai Namco decided to commission a new Budokai Tenkaichi game.

I feel like it'll be mid or late 2024 tbh unless they rush the game and have it release early 2024.

Xenoverse 1 launched with 45 characters (53 if you count each race & their genders)

Will we see a huge roster? I feel like we might hit the same number as Budokai Tenkaichi 3 but trimmed down - so barely any OG Dragon Ball Characters, no Frieza Soldier and various henchmen, only the popular movie characters

With a bunch of new Super characters, it should bring the roster count a little below, the same or above Budokai Tenkaichi 3 since that game counts forms.

Stages are going to probably be like 10 stages: Cell Games, Namek, Destroyed Namek, Islands, Plains, Universal Tournament, U6 v U7 Tournament, World Tournament, Ruined City, Supreme Kai Place

People have high expectations for this game, lots of stuff will be DLC.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:57 pm

Almost 4 months since the big reveal. Is this normal to go almost half a year without any news?
I can't recall how it was with FighterZ or Kakarot.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:56 pm

Gotta keep in mind 2025 is the 20th anniversary of the series. I'd rather push it back to then I it means more characters and time to work on the game.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:56 pm

There's always a new DB game once every two years now. If they probably need something out by 2024 since we are not getting anything new this year.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:00 am

About the roster, people tend to forget that Raging Blast 1 and 2 were actually Budokai Tenkaichi games on then current gen (PS3/360).
BT3 had roster of reportedly around 98 characters, while RB2 sported a Z only roster with some never before seen characters at 66.
There was never bigger roster than in BT3 and there probably never will. As stated many times throughout this topic, the newer games are obviously harder to develop than before, so I don't expect to have 98 characters around at all. Unless the game is cheap trash and hastily boggled together.
60 might be a doable number and we have no concrete info... how will the characters and forms work? Probably same?
What series will in the game? Just Z and Super?

I agree with the opinion, that we've probably got trailer early in development process, SSJ Blue is shoehorned in as a "popular" new Super Saiyan kinda plot twist on Namek, to suggest that yeah, it's new BT and now. And that's all :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:12 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:57 pm Almost 4 months since the big reveal. Is this normal to go almost half a year without any news?
I can't recall how it was with FighterZ or Kakarot.
I don't think so.The last few dragon ball games have either gotten bigger/longer teaser trailers (bt4 had like 20 seconds of actual new content) or news gradually came out after the release.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:10 am

Didn’t they say the game was in very early development during the initial announcement? If that’s the case, are we even sure it’ll be ready for next year? Modern video games tend to have very long development cycles.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:56 am

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:00 am About the roster, people tend to forget that Raging Blast 1 and 2 were actually Budokai Tenkaichi games on then current gen (PS3/360).
BT3 had roster of reportedly around 98 characters, while RB2 sported a Z only roster with some never before seen characters at 66.
There was never bigger roster than in BT3 and there probably never will. As stated many times throughout this topic, the newer games are obviously harder to develop than before, so I don't expect to have 98 characters around at all. Unless the game is cheap trash and hastily boggled together.
60 might be a doable number and we have no concrete info... how will the characters and forms work? Probably same?
What series will in the game? Just Z and Super?

I agree with the opinion, that we've probably got trailer early in development process, SSJ Blue is shoehorned in as a "popular" new Super Saiyan kinda plot twist on Namek, to suggest that yeah, it's new BT and now. And that's all :)
No it is not harder to me games now. It is harder to make Triple A games that push boundaries but a game like Tenkaichi would be easier to make now then it was 20 years ago.

It depends on the game and what it is doing.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:21 pm

A friend of mine brought up in interesting point, that the may take the RB2 character models, and animations, touch them up visually, and reused them for this game, Similar to how Smash Ultimate repurpose character models and animations from Smash 4 and(in the case of Snake, Wolf, and Ice Climbers) Brawl to make up it's returning roster.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:59 am

shadd21 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:21 pm A friend of mine brought up in interesting point, that the may take the RB2 character models, and animations, touch them up visually, and reused them for this game, Similar to how Smash Ultimate repurpose character models and animations from Smash 4 and(in the case of Snake, Wolf, and Ice Climbers) Brawl to make up it's returning roster.
Goku looks nothing like he does in Raging Blast in the teaser for the game. My understanding is that Spike has recycled the same models for Dragon Ball characters (even as recently as Jump Force) for a few games and his model from the teaser is quite a departure from that recycled model.
MCDaveG wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:00 am About the roster, people tend to forget that Raging Blast 1 and 2 were actually Budokai Tenkaichi games on then current gen (PS3/360).
If anything, I think Bandai Namco wants us to forget Raging Blast ever happened. There’s a reason those games were not shown or mentioned at all in the promotions. BT3’s roster was also highlighted as one of the key features that fans loved about the game. I’m not saying the final product will reflect this, but it seems like they’re going out of their way to try to convince us that a large roster will be featured. As big as BT3? Probably not. I’m guessing the roster will be a decent size filled out with DLC but it’s all speculation.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.