"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Modern_Dingus

Re: A new Budokai Tenkaichi has been announced

Post by Modern_Dingus » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:44 pm

I'm way too jaded to be even remotely hyped sadly. I can see it now;

You start with your basic Z Roster, Dragon Team, Major Villains, some minor ones. We'll probably get some Saiyan forms like God and Blue. Then the MOST popular GT/Super Characters like the SSJ4, Trunks, and Pan; along with Beerus, Whis, some U6 and ToP members. Then just mountains, upon mountains of DLC... Not to mention that we'll probably just end up with 50+ characters that are just copy+pastes with generic moves.

Z Movie DLC, Super DLC, Moro and Granolah when then come out. Here's 3 separate packs of GT DLC! Hey, guys! Look! They're finally adding *Z/Super Character that should have been in from the start*.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they completely ignored the Original Dragon Ball, though Kakarot's newest DLC to come out does give me a small glimmer of hope.

I pray that I'm wrong, but I just see this as a reincarnation of XV2's infinite cycle of microtransactions.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:44 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:21 pm My predictions for the roster (Some characters will probably be cut)

Early DBZ Goku (Base, Kaioken)
DBZ Goku (Base, SSj, SSj2, SSj3)
DBS Goku (Base, SSj, SSj God, SSjB, Master UI)
DBGT Kid Goku (Base, SSj, SSj3, Golden Oozaru, SSj4)
Saiyan Saga Vegeta (Base, Oozaru)
Post-Saiyan Vegeta (Base, SSj, SSj Grade 3, SSj2)
Majin Vegeta
DBS Vegeta (Base, SSj, SSj God, SSjB, SSjBE)
GT Vegeta (Base, SSj, SSj4)
Gogeta (Base, SSj, SSj Blue)
SSj4 Gogeta
Vegito (Base, SSj, SSj Blue)
Kid Gohan (Base, Oozaru)
Cell Saga Gohan (Base, SSj, SSj2)
Adult Gohan (Base, SSj, SSj2, Mystic, Beast)
Kid Trunks (Base, SSj)
Kid Goten (Base, SSj)
Gotenks (Base, SSj, SSj3)
DBZ Future Trunks (Base, SSj, SSj Grade 3)
DBS Fturue Trunks (Base, SSj, SSj2, SSj Rage)
Early Piccolo (Base, Giant)
Morden Piccolo (Base, Orange, Gaint)
Kuririn
Yamucha
Chaozu
Videl
Mr. Satan
GT Pan
Raditz
Nappa
Saibamen
Freeza's Soliders
Dodoria
Zarbon (Base, Monster Form)
Guldo
Recoome
Burter
Jeice
Captain Ginyu
DBZ Freeza (Base Form, Second Form, Third Form, Final Form, 100% Full Power)
DBS Freeza (1st form, 4th form, Golden Form)
Coola (Base, Final Form)
Dr. Gero
Cell (Imperfect, Semi-Perfect, Perfect, Super Perfect)
Cell Jr
Spopovich
Dabra
Fat Buu
Grey Buu
Super Buu (Base, Gotenks Absorbed, Gohan Absorbed)
Kid Buu
Beerus
Whis
Jaco
Shisami
Tagoma
Frost
Cabba (Base, SSj)
Hit
Goku Black (Base, SSjR)
Zamasu
Merged Zamsu
Toppo (Base, God)
Kale (Base, LSSj)
Caulifla (Base, SSj, SSj Grade 3)
Kefla (Base, SSj, SSj2)
Jiren
DBS Broly (Base,
DBZ Broly (Base, SSj, LSSj)
Gamma 1
Gamma 2
Cell Max
Janemba (Base, Transform)
Tapion
Hirudegarn
Baby Vegeta (Base, Second Form, Third Form, Golden Oozaru)
Super 17
Third Star Dragon (Eis Shenron)
Forth Star Dragon (Novua Shenron)
One Star Dragon (Base, Super (Omega) Shenron)
Id hope for a more intricate solution to the multiple characters thing (like early, mid, end goku). Perhaps potata equips can modify basic combo strings? And super attacks can be chosen by the player like xeno verse.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:49 am

I might be in the minority but I liked the early, mid and end character system. For example

Goku early(base,Kaioken)
Goku mid(Base, SS, Grade 3) kaioken is a B1
Goku end(Base, SS, Ss2, Ss3, Vegito, Super Vegito, Super Gogeta)
Goku Gt(base, SS, SS3, Golden Great Ape, SS4, Ss4 Gogeta)
Goku Super(Base, SS, Ss God, SS Blue, Blue Kaioken, UI Sign, UI complete, Vegito Blue, Gogeta Blue).

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:50 am

Nah I've always hated the whole Goku Early, Mid and End seperate characters in these games. Raging Blast did it best. Just have one Goku, and then you have the option to customise his supers and appearance. Only make it a seperate character if they physically look different, like Kid Gohan and Adult Gohan.

As for the roster itself, I made my own list as well. I'm expecting this list to be Super themed with some legacy characters included.
88 base characters. If we add the transformations that makes 144 characters.

I don't think my list is very realistic, because I don't see them launching with that many characters all with the graphical fidelity we saw in the trailer. For a PS2 game it was way easier. Characters were low poly with rigid animations. Their facial expressions didn't change much and they all pretty much played the same. They definitely won't make characters like that for this game.

At the same time, the official DB website specifically mentions how the Budokai Tenkaichi series is known for its huge roster, so maybe they've been cooking this game with the intention of launching with a bunch of characters? We'll see what happens, I guess.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:50 am

That is one of my wet dreams with Japanese developers, that they really would spend some time in advance and harvest at least two years of time (or more...) to put a lot of work into this game (should have been in past tense, as they probably have or are in development for some time now).

I was actually pleasantly surprised with how long they were able to keep XV2 support on, even tho I constantly complain about how the broken gameplay is untouched and so was FighterZ and now Kakarot. Except for the last few packs in XV2 which I consider more as promo cash grab, I must say that most of the DLC was quality one.
As a call back to the past and honestly, Budokai Tenkaichi 1-3 were more of an updates than actual sequels.
Nowadays, instead of buying a whole new game for full price, you have option to pick what you want for less money and patches and balance updates come for free (remember all those Guilty Gear versions basically released as new games?).
So you can say that I am mostly fan of DLC. I don't regret a dollar spent on FighterZ or Kakarot, as those were fine games as they were released and thanks to DLC and support, we don't have to buy them as sequels for full price with just a larger roster or extra stories...

So my over the top optimistic wish is, that yes, we will get bigger roster from start and fingers crossed for them sticking to the "truth" in their marketing... as funny and stupid as it sounds. I will wait for reviews of course.
If Gundam can do it, so are they. Years ago, I stated how most of the Japanese franchise games are just low-cost barebones cash grabs, but that have changed and I am actually happy with how it developed, except for occasional hits and misses like Breakers, that happens with all that content there is out there, but most of it is good so far.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:34 am

I predict the base roster to be Z and Super focused, but since it's realistically going to be smaller than previous entries, I don't expect a ton of minor characters. Those will probably roll out in DLC waves alongside some legacy characters from GT, the Z movies, etc. But hey, I'm always up for a pleasant surprise.

There won't be too many Gokus, although I get the feeling that UI Sign + UI will have its own character slot.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:47 am

I was looking at the trailer again and it got me wondering, why don't DB games make Goku's hair stick up when goes Super Saiyan? Even Kakarot doesn't even though they have the hair phsyics to do so (you can see it when he flies)

Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:26 pm

What matters to me is the presentation, including the story mode cutscenes but not just that.
Fighterz understood that even intro poses, win poses and ultimate attacks must be extremely well-designed with lots of references (which is even true for every single movement in Fighterz).

It's something completely unappealing when it's like Xenoverse and the beginning of the match and the victory screen is just the character staying idle in front of the camera, not even having a complex, well-designed animation that references some existing movements/position of the character in existing material, not even trying to impress us.

Even Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8 or Mortal Kombat 11 have apparently understood that you need to go full-style "wow" effect for the presentation! I hope we get at least that, basically having what we see in this teaser as the intro or transformation of SSB Goku for example!

I couldn't care less about the gameplay (as long as it's at least sort of okay), just give me a carefully crafted presentation that makes me go "wow" during the beginning, end and special attacks of a fight (not to mention during potential story cutscenes, even though I'd be fine if they go the BT3 way and use the special attacks and transformations instead of unique cutscenes as long as those are ultra-spectacular!)
Modern_Dingus wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:44 pm Not to mention that we'll probably just end up with 50+ characters that are just copy+pastes with generic moves.
Isn't that the Tenkaichi Budokai series in a nutshell?
Every character being played mostly the same and the only goal being to have a maximum of characters even if it's just mostly appearances?
That's why they could get so many characters to begin with, isn't it?

It seems to me that's the unavoidable and expected price to pay for a big roster in a new Budokai Tenkaichi, and even more nowadays with complex models and animations to create, ANY shortcut will be gladly taken by the devs.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:02 pm

I'm glad to see it back, in any case. Tenkaichi, Raging Blast, and Xenoverse all did certain bits of the arena fighter experience best, and my overly optimistic hope would be that whoever is tasked with the game could synthesize them. The first game had a similar roster size to the first Xenoverse, so I expect something between those two games out of the box. But with Xenoverse 2 as our reference point for DLC in a "giant roster" sort of game and Bamco's recent preference for DLC over sequels, the only question is if we will be asked to buy one or two sequels worth of DLC.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:41 pm

^ Something like that, I guess.
I think, much like you, that the starting roster will be similar to the first Budokai Tenkaichi or the first Xenoverse, maybe a little more because a dozen of characters from Super would likely make it in.

Over time, with DLCs, I expect the roster to become the largest of all Tenkaichi Budokai games, going beyond what BT3 did. This does not mean that all minor characters will return though, because many slots can now be taken by a hundred of characters and versions from DBS that got created since the last game.

I also expect it to become the game that has the most costumes available, but all of this might just be wishful thinking actually.
But to me, it would definitely be the main selling point of the game, making a lot of fans happy and bringing much money to Bandai Namco: just make it the biggest pack of characters and costumes available, DB fans WILL pay to have their favorite characters and costumes beautifully done, and that's the number one thing that the Budokai Tenkaichi games are known for. So much so that people have created modded versions of the game to include always more characters, even from other franchises.

So do it, Bamco! Create the ultimate "sandbox" for DB battles, with the highest number of characters ever, the highest number of costumes ever and the highest number of stages ever, all of it with impressive visuals and presentation, encompassing the largest video game representation of this franchise ever! (which it was at the time of BT3, and must aim at being with this new BT as well!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:19 pm

I hope we get some what if stories. I like some of the ones that they did in the other games.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:51 pm

I don't think I can get behind this game's roster being short. I can understand it not being bloated like in xenoverse. In XV a bulk of the lineup is just transformations that could have been stuffed in their respective characters. With BT4 I'm picturing like 40 or 50 characters and the rest being slowly drip fed through DLC.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:58 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:20 am Dude, that art style. Bro, that color palette. If the final game looks similar to the teaser, this one's going to outdo Kakarot and FighterZ in the looks department.
I don't know, man. I'm not sure that the cutscenes where CC2 threw 99.99% of the budget at have a chance at outdoing this
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:10 am

And since Hellspawn already made her roster for BT4, here is mine.

1 Asterisk = 1 Costume

Total Characters: 145, not counting costumes and transformations. HA! Take THAT, Tenkaichi 3, with your measly 98 characters (not counting costumes and transformations). This, is the roster we need!

This roster includes every character that is unlocked by completing the story mode. I won't be disappointed if they don't give us
all these characters, but I'll be VERY disappointed if they lock Super Hero, Z movie, DBGT and DB characters behind a paywall.

Saiyan Arc

Early Goku (Base, Kaioken, SSJ) ************
Toddler Gohan (Base, Oozaru) ******
Piccolo (Base, Giant)*****
Kuririn *****
Tenshinhan *****
Yamcha **
Raditz
Nappa ***
Early Vegeta (Base, Oozaru) *******
Garlic Jr. (Base, Buff)
Dr. Wheelo
Saibaiman
Bio-Man

Freeza arc

Freeza Soldier *********
Zarbon (Base, Ugly Form)
Dodoria
Jeice
Burter
Guldo
Recoome **
Captain Ginyu **
Bardock **
Selypa
Panbukin
Toma
Toteppo
Freeza (1st Form, 2nd Form, 3rd Form, Final Form, 100% Final Form)
Dore
Thouser
Neiz
Cooler (Final Form, 5th Form)
Amond
Cacao
Rasin/Lakasei
Daiz
Turles
Angira
Dorodabo
Medamatcha
Lord Slug

Cell arc

Son Goku (Base, SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ3. Super Kaioken is unlockable via a title screen Easter Egg) ********
Kid Gohan (Base, SSJ, SSJ2) *****
Future Trunks (Base, SSJ) ***
Armored Future Trunks (Base, SSJ, SSJ Grade 2, SSJ Grade 3)
#17 **
#18 *****
Dr. Gero **
#13 (Base, Super 13)
Metal Cooler
Cell (Imperfect, Semi-Perfect, Perfect, Super Perfect)
Future Gohan (Base, SSJ) **
Kid Future Trunks (Base, SSJ) **
Z Broly (Base, Restricted SSJ, SSJ, LSSJ)
Cell Junior
Zangya
Gokua (Base, Full Power)
Bido
Bujin
Bojack (Base, Full Power)
Vegeta (SSJ, SSJ Grade 2)
Paikuhan

Majin Boo arc

Adult Gohan (Base, SSJ, SSJ2, Potential Unleashed, Beast Gohan) *******
Kid Goten (Base, SSJ) ***
Teen Goten (Base, SSJ) **
Base Trunks (Base, SSJ) ***
Teen Trunks (Base, SSJ) **
Great Saiyaman **
Videl
Great Saiyaman 2
Pui Pui
Yakon
Dabura
Fat Boo
Gotenks (Base, SSJ, SSJ3)
Super Boo (Base, Piccolo Absorbed, Gotenks Absorbed, Gohan Absorbed) **
Pure Boo
Bio-Broly
Fat Janemba
Super Janemba
Vegetto (Base, SSJ, SS Blue)
Super Gogeta
Hirudegarn
Majin Vegeta **
Tapion
Vegeta (Base, SSJ, Super Vegeta, SSJ2) ****
Oob **

Beerus arc

DBS Goku (Base, SSJ, SSJ3, SS God, SS Blue, SS Blue Kaioken, UI Omen, UI) ********
DBS Vegeta (Base, SSJ, SSJ2, SS God, SS Blue, SS Blue Evolution) *******
Beerus

Golden Freeza arc

DBS Freeza (1st Form, Final Form, 100% Final Form, Golden Freeza) **

Universe 6 Tournament

Cabba (Base, SSJ, SSJ2)
Hit
Botamo
Magetta
Frost (1st Form, 3rd Form, Final Form)

Goku Black arc

Goku Black (Base, SS Rosé) **
Zamasu
Merged Zamasu **

Tournament of Power arc

Anilaza
Caulifla (Base, SSJ, SSJ2)
Kale (Base, Controlled LSSJ, LSSJ)
Kefla (Base, LSSJ)
Toppo (Base, God of Destruction mode) **
Dyspo
Ribrianne
Roasie
Kakunsa
Bergamo
Lavender
Basil
Jiren (Base, Full Power) **

Dragon Ball Super movies

DBS Broly (Base, Ikari, SSJ, SSJ Full Power) ****
DBS Gogeta (Base, SSJ, SS Blue) **
Gamma 1
Gamma 2
DBS Piccolo (Base, Power Unleashed, Orange Piccolo, Giant Orange Piccolo)
Cell Max

Dragon Ball GT

GT Goku (Base, SSJ, SSJ3, SSJ4)
GT Vegeta (Base, SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ4)
Pan
GT Trunks (Base, SSJ)
Baby Vegeta (Base, Super Baby 1, Super Baby 2)
Golden Great Ape Baby Vegeta
Majoob
Super 17
Eis Shenron
Nuova Shenron **
Syn Shenron (Base, Omega Shenron)
Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta

Dragon Ball

Kid Goku (Base, Oozaru) ***
Teen Goku ***
Piccolo Daimao
Drum
Tambourine
Cymbal
Taopaipai **
General Blue
Officer Black
Grandpa Gohan
Akkuman

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:40 am

I hope we get adult GT Goku and the chance to fight 2 or more vs 1. Can't recall if that was a thing in the previous installments.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:54 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:40 am I hope we get adult GT Goku and the chance to fight 2 or more vs 1. Can't recall if that was a thing in the previous installments.
Actually it was in Tag Versus on PSP, but not in the main series.
There was this kind of gameplay close to more characters in the field in Raging Blast, up to 3 vs 3, but you had to switch through mini battle with opponent whou could’ve cancel it. Also, with Piccolo and Goku, you could have reenacted the famous Nelson/Makkankosapo from Raditz fight… and fusion besides team finishers.

If I remember right, it was not possible technically to have more than just the two characters on one screen at the same time in BT3.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:31 pm

Can I join the roster predictions?

OG Dragon Ball:
DBZ/Super:
GT:
Counting Transformations, that's 146 characters

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:15 pm

Wow. Looks like I still have the biggest fanmade roster here, with Hellspawn's coming in 2nd place

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:44 pm

Random question..

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:08 pm

shadd21 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:44 pm Random question..
I mean, they made it to Legends, and a grand total of zero people use them, so the odds aren't very good for them