"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: A new Budokai Tenkaichi has been announced

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:10 pm

shadd21 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:44 pm Random question..
I'd love them in the game but honestly I'm feeling that it'll be DLC.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:11 pm

Roster predictions/wishlists you say?
If the roster don’t look like this, I don’t want it 8) :lol:

In seriousness, I’m really excited for incoming news about this game.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:21 pm

shadd21 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:44 pm Random question..
Decent considering how the Tenkaichi rosters work.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:59 am

The lamest thing they could do is make transformations as another slots. Like, there's Goku who can go from SSJ to SSJ3, and SSJ4/SSJG are another characters. Xenoverse did that and it was disappointing.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:54 pm

Trouser wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:59 am The lamest thing they could do is make transformations as another slots. Like, there's Goku who can go from SSJ to SSJ3, and SSJ4/SSJG are another characters. Xenoverse did that and it was disappointing.
Yes, that! I still love to this day the early Z Goku, Android arc Goku and Buu arc Goku, with slots for costumes and being able to transform to SSJ3 in the Saiyan armor, or in Raging Blast 2, being one character encompassing the whole series and fighting for example as SSJ3 in Yadrat clothes.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:56 pm

Stage ideas:

Grass Wasteland
World Tournament Arena
Planet Namek
Ruined Planet Namek
Rocky Area
Freeza's Space Ship
Desert
Ruined City
Hell
Non-Ruined City
Cell Games Arena
Kaioshin Planet
Islands
Glacier
Planet Vegeta/Planet Plant
Room of Spirt and Time
Kami's Lookout
Beeru's Planet
U6vsU7 Tourment Stage
Tourment of Power Stage
Red Ribbon Base
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:41 pm

Count me as being in favour of the old system of characters being segregated by stages of their life in the story, rather than by transformations. Some may view that as another way to pollute the roster with clones, but I see it as a lesser evil. There are probably some instances where transformations taking up entire slots is inevitable, e.g. Super Saiyan 4s, Ultra Instinct, Cell and Majin Buu's various forms.

Considering the obvious main appeal of the Sparking! series as a whole which the developers of this instalment openly acknowledge, I'm optimistic that they'll go large right out of the gate. It worked wonders for Smash Bros. Ultimate's marketing ("EVERYONE IS HERE!") However, there are going to be more limits this time around. SSBU had the benefit of carrying over the entire base roster from the Wii U instalment while only adding a few new characters alongside the veterans that hadn't appeared since the Gamecube or Wii days. Modern games have higher standards for presentation, graphical fidelity, unique character gameplay, and more. Based on that brief snippet, they seem to be going all in on the presentation, but the direction they take with gameplay will be critical in whether or not they can meet fans' expectations regarding the roster size. If they go really simplistic and cookie cutter, it could work out, but this probably wouldn't satisfy new players in the long run.

If you look at any fighting game released in the last few years, their base rosters always start small because they have to produce everything from scratch. This game will be no exception. Producing even a single new character in a fighting game can cost thousands of dollars. I certainly don't expect hundreds of characters right out the gate, any more than 30 or 40 would be optimistic. It may be bitter for some but we'll almost certainly be in for a long haul with regular DLC fighter packs, especially if they aim to get the roster into triple digits.

It would never happen in the current gaming industry, but imagine if a big publisher like Namco invested in a deliberately retro game with PS2 era graphics but on modern hardware, just so they can get the developers to stuff in as many characters and features as possible.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:17 pm

They'll mix up the roster but I doubt we're shipping with less characters than Tenkaichi 1.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:37 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:17 pm They'll mix up the roster but I doubt we're shipping with less characters than Tenkaichi 1.
We will probably get more than Sparking 1, but still smaller than the third game because it's a game for a new console. Also, I don't want the game to have issues with each character playing the same. Sparking 1 had the issue with most characters playing the same as each other with the same move sets and animations.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:46 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:37 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:17 pm They'll mix up the roster but I doubt we're shipping with less characters than Tenkaichi 1.
We will probably get more than Sparking 1, but still smaller than the third game because it's a game for a new console. Also, I don't want the game to have issues with each character playing the same. Sparking 1 had the issue with most characters playing the same as each other with the same move sets and animations.
I'm was trying to set the bar low with the sparking 1 launch roster. Considering what Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2 started with I think 100 characters is possible plus DLC.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:04 am

Y'know, ever since BT4 was announced, I've been seeing a lot of people suddenly advocating for GT to be included in the video games again. As a GT fan, it's just funny how there's suddenly a "I want all the characters, GT included!" mentality since the Sparking/Budokai Tenkaichi games are known for its vast variety of characters. It also goes to show that we're long past the days where GT is the black sheep of the DB franchise (even if it still is for many).

As such, I would like for the GT Saga of the story mode to cover more of the series this time, from the story arcs to their characters. This is how I'd structure it:

Baby Saga:
1. Goku vs. Uub, in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber (since we've never gotten to see this fight in a video game or adult GT Goku in the games)
2. Goku vs. Pilaf Machine, on the lookout
3. GT Goku (SSJ) vs. Ledgic, including the place they fought as a stage
4. GT Goku (SSJ) and GT Trunks (SSJ) vs. Lord Luud, including the place they fought as a stage
5. GT Goku (SSJ) vs. Sigma Force and General Rildo (Metal Form), including the place they fought as a stage
6. Teen Goten (SSJ) vs. Teen Baby
7. Gohan (SSJ) vs. Baby Goten (SSJ)
8. GT Vegeta (SSJ) vs. Baby Gohan (SSJ)
9. GT Goku (SSJ, SSJ3) vs. Baby Vegeta
10. Uub vs. Baby Vegeta, including Planet Tuffle as a stage
11. Majuub vs. Baby Vegeta
12. GT Goku (SSJ3) vs. Baby Vegeta
13. GT Goku (SSJ4) vs. Baby Vegeta
14. GT Goku (SSJ4) vs. Baby Vegeta (Golden Great Ape)

Super 17 Saga:
1. Majuub vs. Mr. Satan (from the one filler-esque GT episode at the World Tournament, where you have to survive without a ringout long enough for it to segue into where Majuub willingly forfeits the match)
2. Trunks vs. Android 17
3. GT Goku vs. Frieza and Cell
4. Pan vs. General Blue/Black (just to give her one fight and General Blue was in BT3)
5. Goten/Trunks/Uub vs. Saibamen and Android 19 (drag it out longer in the game, of course)
6. Gohan vs. General Rildo (drag it out longer in the game, of course)
7. GT Vegeta vs. Nappa (drag it out longer in the game, of course)
7. GT Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Majuub vs. Super 17
8. GT Goku (SSJ, SSJ3, SSJ4) vs. Super 17
9. GT Goku and 18 vs. Super 17

Bonus fights not shown in this saga, but hinted at in the Super 17 Saga:
1. GT Vegeta vs. Cooler (Final Form), since Cooler was shown among the revived villains in GT and the interaction between these two would be fun since Cooler is Frieza's brother
2. Teen Goten/Gohan vs. Radtiz, since Radtiz was shown among the revived villains in GT and the interaction between these two would be fun since Goten never met his uncle Radtiz, unlike Goku and Gohan

Shadow Dragons Saga:
1. GT Goku and Pan vs. the first few Shadow Dragons (yes, all of them, it's Budokai Tenkaichi 4 so might as well include them all and I've always wanted Oceanus Shenron in a video game, but no one ever brings her up)
2. GT Goku (SSJ4) vs. Nuova and Eis Shenron
3. GT Goku (SSJ4) vs. Syn Shenron
4. GT Goku (SSJ4) vs. Omega Shenron
5. Gogeta (SSJ4) vs. Omega Shenron
6. GT Goku and GT Vegeta vs. Omega Shenron
7. Nuova Shenron vs. Omega Shenron
8. GT Goku vs. Omega Shenron
9. Goku Jr. (SSJ) vs. Lord Yao (because I've always wanted Goku Jr. in a game ever since 2006 and his ultimate could be what he used to defeat Yao)
10. Goku Jr. (SSJ) vs. Vegeta Jr. (SSJ), this one is tricky because Vegeta Jr. has only shown that he can transform into a Super Saiyan and the World Tournament stage means a ringout would be an easy win, which is why I added the survive rule to the Majuub vs. Mr. Satan fight. Perhaps, the ringout mechanic is deactivated for certain fights. I think I remember it being like that in past games.

But yeah, that sums up my wishlist for GT. In all the past video games, I've always been dissatisfied that we always get the bare minimum of content out of GT while Z gets everything. For BT4 to stand out, I'd like for the Dragon Ball Saga, GT Saga, and Super Saga to have just as much content as Z has had in all the other games.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:33 am

A new Tenkaichi game is a dream come true. Here is my dream roster for the game after all DLC have been released (I'm aware it's impossible to realize on a game, but a man can dream), the roster to rule them all. The game would be divided into two eras:

Classic era:

And the Modern era would be Super, Super manga and Heroes + videogames (maybe 2 games?).

Am I missing someone?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:30 am

What about the Legends characters? Shallot, Giblet (+Their Fusion) and Zahha.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:54 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:30 am What about the Legends characters? Shallot, Giblet (+Their Fusion), and Zahha.
I'd like for them to branch out like that, definitely. I really like Shallot. Every Dragon Ball game that comes out also seems to have at least one new original character, so I'm interested to see what they do with that. Maybe we could even get some original Fusions or new transformations for certain characters?

Back to the roster size, while I'm hoping for a 50+ roster right out of the gate, I know that what constitutes a big arena/fighting game roster today is very different to what it meant 20 years ago. We'll see what happens.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:27 am

What if they make it like Kakarot, where it's an open world and you have to go around the map to do the story mode? And when you're in Other World, you have to run (or fly) across the Serpentine Road to meet Kaio, then catch Bubbles, bonk Gregory on his head, then fight with Kaio to get the Kaioken and Genkidama!
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:56 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:54 am
Xeogran wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:30 am What about the Legends characters? Shallot, Giblet (+Their Fusion), and Zahha.
I'd like for them to branch out like that, definitely. I really like Shallot. Every Dragon Ball game that comes out also seems to have at least one new original character, so I'm interested to see what they do with that. Maybe we could even get some original Fusions or new transformations for certain characters?

Back to the roster size, while I'm hoping for a 50+ roster right out of the gate, I know that what constitutes a big arena/fighting game roster today is very different to what it meant 20 years ago. We'll see what happens.
I'd prefer for Video Game original characters to be DLC, though I'm a little biased for Android 21 to be in the base game lol

I hope we get tons of Dragon Ball Heroes DLC, that would make this the ultimate Dragon Ball game. I'm still salty that Xenoverse 2 never got things like SSJ4 Gohan or even Tiencha

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:52 pm

SDBH/Legends characters would be welcome as a DLCs with short arcs. They are perfect to be something extra for us fans, but shouldn't be the main focus.

I'd see it like this:

Main Story: DB, DBZ, DBS and DBGT as the ultimate ending.

What If's: DB, DBZ and DBGT movies.

DLCs: SDBH, Legends, etc.

It's not going to happen but it's fun to fantasise about it.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:24 pm

I guess I'll take a swig at a wishlist roster. I preface this by saying that I know for a fact this new game won't likely reach Tenkaichi 3's roster, but a man can dream! Also, I do agree with an earlier assessment that this new game should follow Raging Blast's steps by bringing back moveset customization, that way we don't have stuff like Goku (Early), (Mid), and (End). Splitting characters up by ages is fine, but splitting them up by sagas seems a bit much. Plus, I wanna see UI Goku wearing the Yardrat uniform.
Aside from all that, I feel like video game characters will probably be DLC:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:14 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:41 pm If you look at any fighting game released in the last few years, their base rosters always start small because they have to produce everything from scratch. This game will be no exception. Producing even a single new character in a fighting game can cost thousands of dollars. I certainly don't expect hundreds of characters right out the gate, any more than 30 or 40 would be optimistic. It may be bitter for some but we'll almost certainly be in for a long haul with regular DLC fighter packs, especially if they aim to get the roster into triple digits.

It would never happen in the current gaming industry, but imagine if a big publisher like Namco invested in a deliberately retro game with PS2 era graphics but on modern hardware, just so they can get the developers to stuff in as many characters and features as possible.
That's what they do with the Heroes arcade machines, isn't it?
The graphics are those of the PS2 era basically, so that they can quickly add tons of characters, costumes and forms all the time, including a lot of what-if versions and all.

So yeah, this concept of "using retro graphics to make it easier to create many characters" is already in motion when it's more than necessary with a concept like Heroes!

This is why this new Budokai Tenkaichi is ambitious if it lives up to the teaser in terms of presentation! It will be an impressive feat if it turns out like this, but I think it's reasonable that they'll aim for 50 characters at most to begin with and complete it slowly over time through DLC. 50 characters is a round number that's enough for them to promote it as "no less than 50 characters!!" if they also promote an awesome visual presentation to go with each character.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:17 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:04 am Y'know, ever since BT4 was announced, I've been seeing a lot of people suddenly advocating for GT to be included in the video games again. As a GT fan, it's just funny how there's suddenly a "I want all the characters, GT included!" mentality since the Sparking/Budokai Tenkaichi games are known for its vast variety of characters. It also goes to show that we're long past the days where GT is the black sheep of the DB franchise (even if it still is for many).

As such, I would like for the GT Saga of the story mode to cover more of the series this time, from the story arcs to their characters. This is how I'd structure it:

Baby Saga:
1. Goku vs. Uub, in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber (since we've never gotten to see this fight in a video game or adult GT Goku in the games)
2. Goku vs. Pilaf Machine, on the lookout
3. GT Goku (SSJ) vs. Ledgic, including the place they fought as a stage
4. GT Goku (SSJ) and GT Trunks (SSJ) vs. Lord Luud, including the place they fought as a stage
5. GT Goku (SSJ) vs. Sigma Force and General Rildo (Metal Form), including the place they fought as a stage
6. Teen Goten (SSJ) vs. Teen Baby
7. Gohan (SSJ) vs. Baby Goten (SSJ)
8. GT Vegeta (SSJ) vs. Baby Gohan (SSJ)
9. GT Goku (SSJ, SSJ3) vs. Baby Vegeta
10. Uub vs. Baby Vegeta, including Planet Tuffle as a stage
11. Majuub vs. Baby Vegeta
12. GT Goku (SSJ3) vs. Baby Vegeta
13. GT Goku (SSJ4) vs. Baby Vegeta
14. GT Goku (SSJ4) vs. Baby Vegeta (Golden Great Ape)

Super 17 Saga:
1. Majuub vs. Mr. Satan (from the one filler-esque GT episode at the World Tournament, where you have to survive without a ringout long enough for it to segue into where Majuub willingly forfeits the match)
2. Trunks vs. Android 17
3. GT Goku vs. Frieza and Cell
4. Pan vs. General Blue/Black (just to give her one fight and General Blue was in BT3)
5. Goten/Trunks/Uub vs. Saibamen and Android 19 (drag it out longer in the game, of course)
6. Gohan vs. General Rildo (drag it out longer in the game, of course)
7. GT Vegeta vs. Nappa (drag it out longer in the game, of course)
7. GT Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Majuub vs. Super 17
8. GT Goku (SSJ, SSJ3, SSJ4) vs. Super 17
9. GT Goku and 18 vs. Super 17

Bonus fights not shown in this saga, but hinted at in the Super 17 Saga:
1. GT Vegeta vs. Cooler (Final Form), since Cooler was shown among the revived villains in GT and the interaction between these two would be fun since Cooler is Frieza's brother
2. Teen Goten/Gohan vs. Radtiz, since Radtiz was shown among the revived villains in GT and the interaction between these two would be fun since Goten never met his uncle Radtiz, unlike Goku and Gohan

Shadow Dragons Saga:
1. GT Goku and Pan vs. the first few Shadow Dragons (yes, all of them, it's Budokai Tenkaichi 4 so might as well include them all and I've always wanted Oceanus Shenron in a video game, but no one ever brings her up)
2. GT Goku (SSJ4) vs. Nuova and Eis Shenron
3. GT Goku (SSJ4) vs. Syn Shenron
4. GT Goku (SSJ4) vs. Omega Shenron
5. Gogeta (SSJ4) vs. Omega Shenron
6. GT Goku and GT Vegeta vs. Omega Shenron
7. Nuova Shenron vs. Omega Shenron
8. GT Goku vs. Omega Shenron
9. Goku Jr. (SSJ) vs. Lord Yao (because I've always wanted Goku Jr. in a game ever since 2006 and his ultimate could be what he used to defeat Yao)
10. Goku Jr. (SSJ) vs. Vegeta Jr. (SSJ), this one is tricky because Vegeta Jr. has only shown that he can transform into a Super Saiyan and the World Tournament stage means a ringout would be an easy win, which is why I added the survive rule to the Majuub vs. Mr. Satan fight. Perhaps, the ringout mechanic is deactivated for certain fights. I think I remember it being like that in past games.

But yeah, that sums up my wishlist for GT. In all the past video games, I've always been dissatisfied that we always get the bare minimum of content out of GT while Z gets everything. For BT4 to stand out, I'd like for the Dragon Ball Saga, GT Saga, and Super Saga to have just as much content as Z has had in all the other games.
I never understood why Rild and Legic never were in video games.