"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: A new Budokai Tenkaichi has been announced

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:42 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:14 pm
That's what they do with the Heroes arcade machines, isn't it?
The graphics are those of the PS2 era basically, so that they can quickly add tons of characters, costumes and forms all the time, including a lot of what-if versions and all.

So yeah, this concept of "using retro graphics to make it easier to create many characters" is already in motion when it's more than necessary with a concept like Heroes!

This is why this new Budokai Tenkaichi is ambitious if it lives up to the teaser in terms of presentation! It will be an impressive feat if it turns out like this, but I think it's reasonable that they'll aim for 50 characters at most to begin with and complete it slowly over time through DLC. 50 characters is a round number that's enough for them to promote it as "no less than 50 characters!!" if they also promote an awesome visual presentation to go with each character.
Oh shit, yeah, I forgot Heroes is exactly what I described, lol.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:21 pm

I'd like to see, skipping the obvious choices:

DB:
The main contenders for the three tournaments.
Tao Pai Pai/Cyborg
Old Piccolo D.
Young Piccolo D.
Tambourine
Timbal
Yajirobe

DBZ:
- Kiwi
- Monster Zarbon
- 2nd and 3rd form Freeza
- Mecha Freeza
- King Cold
- A-19
- A-20
- 2nd form Cell
- Super Vegeta
- Super Trunks
- Grade III Trunks
- Paikuhan
- Olibu
- Arqua
- Torbie
- Pui Pui
- Yamu
- Spopovich
- Evil Buu
- Buucolo
- Buff Buu
- Failed Buugito

GT:
- Adult GT Goku
- Redjic
- Rildo/HM Rildo/ Metal Rildo
- Ruudo
- Baby
- Gohan Baby
- Goten Baby
- Vegeta Baby
- Super Vegeta Baby
- Adult Baby
- Pure Red Sun dragon

Movies:
- Slug's team
- Turles' team
- Cooler's Kikosentai
- Garlic's team
- Base Broly
- SS Broly
- Bojack's team

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:31 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:17 pm I never understood why Rild and Legic never were in video games.
Same, but add Oceanus Shenron. Since Nuova Shenron has been in the video games, even though Omega Shenron has his abilities, there's no reason to leave out Oceanus (and honestly all of other Shadow Dragons since it's Budokai Tenkaichi 4, not FighterZ). Honestly, I think this game should go all-out with trying to add new GT characters like Lord Luud, Sigma Force, and even Goku Jr. But yeah, if we just get Ledgic, Rildo, and Oceanus Shenron as new GT characters, I'd be fine with that (even if it'd be somewhat disappointing since there's already so many Z characters in the games).

Hell, why stop at GT? I've always wanted Monster Carrot from Dragon Ball in a video game, or even Murasaki. And if we're going back to Z, then let's get new characters that have never been in a DBZ game like Bojack's henchman. I've always thought Bujin and Kogu would be awesome, with the former having his psychic thread and the latter being a swordsman like Trunks (and being the only one of Bojack's henchman who can transform like him).

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:31 pm

A few thoughts:

1: OH MY GOD, I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT

2: God, the sheer rapturous joy from all the fans, it's infectious. Look up "Tenkaichi 4 reaction mashup" on YouTube. Just beautiful. You know, for a game that most people agree is generally like a 7 to 8/10, it's amazing how important it was to so many childhoods. The only other games I really expect to have a reaction on par with this are Half-Life 3 and Sonic Adventure 3 (if you can think of some more that'll have manchildren freaking out, please tell me).
Edit: Maybe Knights of the Old Republic 3? A new F-Zero?

3: What a blast from the past to see people sharing and swapping roster wish lists.

4: Guys, don't forget: mods WILL exist for this. They WILL be in Spanish, and they WILL dredge up every single character ever seen in the franchise. So that's why I'm not really tripping out on whether or not Freeza Soldier #3, Shula, or the Trio de Dangers are going to be playable in the base game or even in DLC— all the real fun's going to come from the mods.

Honestly that was the case with Xenoverse 2 for me as well. Except Xenoverse 2 is so unsatisfying to play compared to the Tenkaichi games. And I've gone back and played them; anyone who says they play the exact same is smoking some actual grass ripped from the backyard of a meth lab— I tried out Tenkaichi 2 on the PS2 for a few minutes, and those few minutes turned into a few hours. And note: this was the first time I even touched Tenkaichi 2 in something ridiculous like 12 or 13 years.
I booted up a fully-loaded, fully-modded Xenoverse 2 with something absurd like 350 characters, and literally before the main menu fully loaded, I was already going "Why am I playing this?" and that feeling did not at all abate when I actually booted into the game proper. They play very similarly as arena fighters, I'm not saying they don't, but goddamn Tenkaichi's fundamental game-feel is so much better than Xenoverse. Saying they're basically the same game mechanically is like saying Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the same game as Sonic 4, or that Goodfellas is the same movie as Gotti. I'm not saying Tenkaichi 2/3 are on that level of quality but yeah, no, I'm never going back to Xenoverse 2 once Tenkaichi 4 releases unless it just aggressively sucks. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Tenkaichi 4/Super Tenkaichi or whatever they call it actually does feel really good to play, like an even more refined Kakarot with actual fighting mechanics.

All the new Tenkaichi really needs are solid, dumb fun mechanics and a good game-feel. Even if the roster isn't overwhelmingly impressive, or if you want your OC Donut Steel playable, mods and (ugh!) DLC will pick up the slack in due time.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:49 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:31 pm A few thoughts:

2: God, the sheer rapturous joy from all the fans, it's infectious. Look up "Tenkaichi 4 reaction mashup" on YouTube. Just beautiful. You know, for a game that most people agree is generally like a 7 to 8/10, it's amazing how important it was to so many childhoods. The only other games I really expect to have a reaction on par with this are Half-Life 3 and Sonic Adventure 3 (if you can think of some more that'll have manchildren freaking out, please tell me).

3: What a blast from the past to see people sharing and swapping roster wish lists.

4: Guys, don't forget: mods WILL exist for this. They WILL be in Spanish, and they WILL dredge up every single character ever seen in the franchise. So that's why I'm not really tripping out on whether or not Freeza Soldier #3, Shula, or the Trio de Dangers are going to be playable in the base game or even in DLC— all the real fun's going to come from the mods.

Honestly that was the case with Xenoverse 2 for me as well. Except Xenoverse 2 is so unsatisfying to play compared to the Tenkaichi games. And I've gone back and played them; anyone who says they play the exact same is smoking some actual grass ripped from the backyard of a meth lab— I tried out Tenkaichi 2 on the PS2 for a few minutes, and those few minutes turned into a few hours. And note: this was the first time I even touched Tenkaichi 2 in something ridiculous like 12 or 13 years.
I booted up a fully-loaded, fully-modded Xenoverse 2 with something absurd like 350 characters, and literally before the main menu fully loaded, I was already going "Why am I playing this?" and that feeling did not at all abate when I actually booted into the game proper. They play very similarly as arena fighters, I'm not saying they don't, but goddamn Tenkaichi's fundamental game-feel is so much better than Xenoverse. Saying they're basically the same game mechanically is like saying Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the same game as Sonic 4, or that Goodfellas is the same movie as Gotti. I'm not saying Tenkaichi 2/3 are on that level of quality but yeah, no, I'm never going back to Xenoverse 2 once Tenkaichi 4 releases unless it just aggressively sucks. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Tenkaichi 4/Super Tenkaichi or whatever they call it actually does feel really good to play, like an even more refined Kakarot with actual fighting mechanics.

All the new Tenkaichi really needs are solid, dumb fun mechanics and a good game-feel. Even if the roster isn't overwhelmingly impressive, or if you want your OC Donut Steel playable, mods and (ugh!) DLC will pick up the slack in due time.
I read that being made in Unreal is going to severely limit the modding capabilities. Is that true?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:05 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:49 pm
Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:31 pm A few thoughts:

I read that being made in Unreal is going to severely limit the modding capabilities. Is that true?
No unreal engine is very mod friendly.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:29 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:38 pmWith that logic you could say the same with Xenoverse as its a 3D DBZ fighting simulator and now we have Tenkaichi so why not have a more casual friendly 2.5D game?(FighterZ isn't a 2.5D game but you get the idea)
If this game releases in 2024, that will put eight years between Xenoverse 2 and this game's release. What point are you trying to make?
sangofe wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:54 amHow can you say Budokai and FighterZ are the same?
Semantics. They are similar enough to confuse a general audience and releasing concurrent 2-D fighters from the same series would be asinine. Imagine if Bandai Namco released a Tekken game a few years after Tekken 8 but with a different subtitle and sorta different fighting mechanics. I don't know how you could square that as a reasonable expectation under any circumstances.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:45 am

Thanos wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:29 pm
budokaifanatic007 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:38 pmWith that logic you could say the same with Xenoverse as its a 3D DBZ fighting simulator and now we have Tenkaichi so why not have a more casual friendly 2.5D game?(FighterZ isn't a 2.5D game but you get the idea)
If this game releases in 2024, that will put eight years between Xenoverse 2 and this game's release. What point are you trying to make?
sangofe wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:54 amHow can you say Budokai and FighterZ are the same?
Semantics. They are similar enough to confuse a general audience and releasing concurrent 2-D fighters from the same series would be asinine. Imagine if Bandai Namco released a Tekken game a few years after Tekken 8 but with a different subtitle and sorta different fighting mechanics. I don't know how you could square that as a reasonable expectation under any circumstances.
But they're far from the same in both looks and fighting system.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:41 am

So, out of curiosity, I decided to go back and see how the first Sparking/Budokai Tenkaichi's story mode was set up and they EXTENSIVELY dragged it out. The Saiyan Saga had fights like Yamcha vs. Krillin/Krillin vs. Yamcha/Tien vs. Chiaotzu/Chiaotzu vs. Tien/Yamcha vs. Saibamen/Tien vs. Saibaman. Hell, during the Cell Saga, they had Mr. Satan vs. Cell (even though they never really fought) and when you win, Cell will hilariously say, "This is a nightmare." You would never see that level of detail (or filler) in a DBZ game outside the Budokai Tenkaichi series.

So, when it comes to GT's story mode, give me a GT Goten/GT Trunks/Uub vs. Android 19 and Saibamen AND GT Vegeta vs. Nappa fight during the Super 17 arc, like I mentioned earlier. Basically, I just want this new game's story to be as extensive as the first one was, but with all the gameplay mechanics of the sequel games.

Also, does anyone remember how in Tenkaichi 1, before the fight begins in any story battle cutscene, the characters will do this weird thing where they jump back before fighting. Even as a kid, that confused me. I was like, "I don't ever remember them doing that in the show."

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:08 am

mecha3000 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:41 am You would never see that level of detail (or filler) in a DBZ game outside the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
I really like how in BT1 every of these battles has a voiced cutscene after either winning or losing. Makes for fun what-ifs :thumbup:
mecha3000 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:41 am Also, does anyone remember how in Tenkaichi 1, before the fight begins in any story battle cutscene, the characters will do this weird thing where they jump back before fighting. Even as a kid, that confused me. I was like, "I don't ever remember them doing that in the show."
Yup, I assume they did that so that you and your opponent have distance from each other at the start, since in the cutscenes the two characters stay close.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:24 am

Xeogran wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:08 am Yup, I assume they did that so that you and your opponent have distance from each other at the start, since in the cutscenes the two characters stay close.
Okay, that kind of makes sense (even though Tenkaichi 2 and 3 never did that). On another note, I remember that when Tenkaichi 1 described Janemba in the character files section, they said he debuted in the 12th DBZ movie, "Rebirth of Fusion", or something like that. Interestingly enough, I got Tenkaichi 1 for Christmas as an 8-year-old in '05. So, Funimation hadn't yet released/dubbed what would become known as DBZ: Fusion Reborn (which would be its title in Tenkaichi 2, which came out the same year Fusion Reborn did in the U.S, which I got for my 9th birthday). Don't mind me. Just getting a little nostalgic, that's all. Long story short, it's crazy to think that back then, Funimation still hadn't finished dubbing all the original DBZ movies to the point where Tenkaichi 1 called the 12th movie, "Rebirth of Fusion" like it is in Japan.

Now, all of Dragon Ball has been dubbed (besides those damned specials) by Funimation and I really can't wait to see the new voice actors get a chance to dub this new Tenkaichi game. Zeno Robinson, the voice of Gamma 2, said he grew up on the Budokai games once. So, I imagine he'll be pretty hyped to hear his own voice in the next Budokai Tenkaichi.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:35 pm

My point is, Xenoverse is still receiving DLC and updates and probably will after the release of the new Tenkaichi game so by 2024 we will have two 3D fighters, why cant we have two 2D/2.5D fighting games?
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:09 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:45 am
But they're far from the same in both looks and fighting system.
My Mom hasn't played video games in 30 years and she knows Budokai 3 and FighterZ are different. This sounds like somone made a bad statement and instead of admitting it was wrong they double down.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:48 pm

Don't want to start a troublesome subject, but do you guys think that they could by any means add Commander Black in his full look?
He appeared recently in Super Hero with his original design, but only by small seconds, and he's in Dokkan Battle but that is a minor title
I think they would only add he inside his robot armor, without himself showing up
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:37 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:48 pm Don't want to start a troublesome subject, but do you guys think that they could by any means add Commander Black in his full look?
He appeared recently in Super Hero with his original design, but only by small seconds, and he's in Dokkan Battle but that is a minor title
I think they would only add he inside his robot armor, without himself showing up
Staff Office Black has two deisgns worse case. I understand why his design would upset people but my brothers and I watched him and Popo growing up and weren't offended but I know this small group doesn't speak for everyone.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:39 pm

I just realized that an old game YouTuber by the name of Omega2040 actually did a video on this announcement. That guy’s last video was from all the way back in November 2016, when Xenoverse 2 was the hot new thing. That sure takes me back.

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:51 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:48 pm Don't want to start a troublesome subject, but do you guys think that they could by any means add Commander Black in his full look?
I'm curious about this stuff as well. Mr. Popo appeared once in Dragon Ball Super, Staff Officer Black in Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero.

While I'm in the boat that things should be as they are in the series, I think it'd be legitimate to change this. However, I will say that since these designs were made with no Ill Intentions and are obviously NOT characteristicly stereotypical of what we think of when we see these types of designs. They don't go around like a minstrel show. Staff Officer Black is an interesting character IMO, and it was a very interesting way to end the arc.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:20 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:39 pm I just realized that an old game YouTuber by the name of Omega2040 actually did a video on this announcement. That guy’s last video was from all the way back in November 2016, when Xenoverse 2 was the hot new thing. That sure takes me back.
I watched this guy all the time when I was younger, nice to see him back

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:43 pm

Here's my setting-up-for-disappointment wish-list:

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:09 pm

Roster I am hoping for:
Potential What-if Scenarios for Story Mode: