"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: A new Budokai Tenkaichi has been announced

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:20 pm

I think BT2 has a terrible story mode, and I never understood the praise. It’s really tedious, and most of the “cutscenes” are just the characters standing around and delivering lines like they’re bored out of their minds.

I’ll take BT3’s story mode anyway. It doesn’t feel like it’s wasting your time, and while it technically doesn’t have any real cutscenes, having dialogue during the fights is a nice touch that helps set the story mode apart from a regular versus mode. Plus, it’s currently the only Dragon Ball fighting game to actually have the pre-Raditz stuff as part of the story mode, even if the fights are out of order.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:59 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:09 am 2024 could sneak a game up and leave this for 2025. Depends of what gets reveled at E3 or TGS.
We get a new game once every two years. We probably won't get anything for 2023, but we will probably get something for 2024. XV2 came out in 2016, DBF came out in 2018, DBZK came out in 2020, and Breakers came out in 2022.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:47 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:59 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:09 am 2024 could sneak a game up and leave this for 2025. Depends of what gets reveled at E3 or TGS.
We get a new game once every two years. We probably won't get anything for 2023, but we will probably get something for 2024. XV2 came out in 2016, DBF came out in 2018, DBZK came out in 2020, and Breakers came out in 2022.
I hadn't noticed that they started do every two years. We technically got the next gen Kakarot for 2023 as I remember Bandai said ports work when they are working on bigger games.

We got Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission in 2019 that I still need to play and Xenoverse 1 and 2 were ported to switch for 2017 so 2021 could have been a break due to covid and DLC they were releasing maybe?

gokugambitoptimus
Beyond Newbie

Post by gokugambitoptimus » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:59 pm

Perhaps this new game could be a remake instead of a sequel
So they can start the game with a small* roster like the first Budokai Tenkaichi and instead of release a new game each year, they can release DLC packs (each three months, for example) that can expand the content and get a bigger roster than Budokai Tenkaichi 3

I put small in comparison with the final roster (a massive list thanks to all the DLC) but between Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Super and the movies the list could be easily over 100 characters (not counting transformations)

And, in my personal preference, I hope we won't see things like Goku early, Goku mid and Goku final because with that slots, they can add different characters

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:52 pm

People love the IDEA of a Tenkaichi 4 than the reality of it. I don’t see this “new tenkaichi” selling well or moving the needle for DB games like Fighterz did. For starters anime gamers have been complaining about arena fighter fatigue since j-stars & wanting more 2-d based fighting games.Because a good majority of every licensed arena anime fighter either lacks depth, balance, character/moveset diversity or combination of all 3.

Not to mention if Spike is developing(guesses based on the crappy hyper realistic namek stage coming straight out of Jump Force) this Do you really wanna give them the benefit of the doubt after the dumpster fires that were Ultimate Tenkaichi, Jump Force & One Punch man a hero nobody knows? Also whoever said this looks equivalent or better than arcsys graphics based on that teaser i implore you play Fighterz on PC with High/Max settings at 4k60 on a good monitor no way in hell does a teaser that looks something’s like a budget Xenoverse fan mod filter is even in the same stratosphere as Arcsys graphics.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:40 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:52 pm since j-stars
J-Stars was great, I wouldn't complain about it in a million days. It was the first proper 3D Jump Crossover too, don't see any fatigue from it. It was a breath of fresh air gameplay wise too compared to your usual PS3 era Spike games.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:47 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:52 pm People love the IDEA of a Tenkaichi 4 than the reality of it. I don’t see this “new tenkaichi” selling well or moving the needle for DB games like Fighterz did.
To the general audience, FighterZ is not viewed as this "golden standard" of DB games that you think it is, The Tenkaichi branding alone is likely to make this game outsell FighterZ
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:52 pm For starters anime gamers have been complaining about arena fighter fatigue since j-stars & wanting more 2-d based fighting games.Because a good majority of every licensed arena anime fighter either lacks depth, balance, character/moveset diversity or combination of all 3.
Those same anime gamers also all collectable lost their shit at the new BT announcement
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:52 pm Not to mention if Spike is developing(guesses based on the crappy hyper realistic namek stage coming straight out of Jump Force) this Do you really wanna give them the benefit of the doubt after the dumpster fires that were Ultimate Tenkaichi, Jump Force & One Punch man a hero nobody knows?
Considering how they seem to be treating this game as a direct follow-up to BT3,) I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are aware that this game has a higher standard to live up to. Versus those games which were treated their own thing.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:34 pm

If this game is to be considered a follow-up to BT3, then it’s going to need to live up to that by having an even bigger roster, which would mean it probably wouldn’t be ready until 2025.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:21 pm

shadd21 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:47 am To the general audience, FighterZ is not viewed as this "golden standard" of DB games that you think it is, The Tenkaichi branding alone is likely to make this game outsell FighterZ
While a nostalgic brand for long time fans that is surely to push some of the newest entry's sales, the Tenkaichi games still only sold under/around 2 million units each back in the day. They're niche anime titles rather than major releases general audiences are familiar with.

Meanwhile, FighterZ, being hyped up as a higher budget and competitive fighting game with a lot of marketing behind it, has pushed 8 million units. That's the kind of number for general audiences.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:34 pm If this game is to be considered a follow-up to BT3, then it’s going to need to live up to that by having an even bigger roster, which would mean it probably wouldn’t be ready until 2025.
I don't think it's supposed to be a follow up, we don't know much about the game yet.

It could still come out next year, if Bandai wants to go all in. There could be lots of people working on the game, I'd love to see all the characters from BT3 but it's not a big deal if some characters don't make it.

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they call it Budokai Tenkaichi 4 but have a smaller roster, it'll probably be called Super Budokai Tenkaichi or Budokai Tenkaichi (insert subtitle here). People will know it's a new Budokai Tenkaichi game but know not to expect every BT3 character in it.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:35 pm

Captain-Sora wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:21 pm
shadd21 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:47 am To the general audience, FighterZ is not viewed as this "golden standard" of DB games that you think it is, The Tenkaichi branding alone is likely to make this game outsell FighterZ
While a nostalgic brand for long time fans that is surely to push some of the newest entry's sales, the Tenkaichi games still only sold under/around 2 million units each back in the day. They're niche anime titles rather than major releases general audiences are familiar with.

Meanwhile, FighterZ, being hyped up as a higher budget and competitive fighting game with a lot of marketing behind it, has pushed 8 million units. That's the kind of number for general audiences.
Dragonball is in a better position now then when the Tenkaichi games came out as well. I think this one is going to easily be the highest selling Budokai.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:38 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:16 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:34 pm If this game is to be considered a follow-up to BT3, then it’s going to need to live up to that by having an even bigger roster, which would mean it probably wouldn’t be ready until 2025.
I don't think it's supposed to be a follow up, we don't know much about the game yet.

It could still come out next year, if Bandai wants to go all in. There could be lots of people working on the game, I'd love to see all the characters from BT3 but it's not a big deal if some characters don't make it.

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they call it Budokai Tenkaichi 4 but have a smaller roster, it'll probably be called Super Budokai Tenkaichi or Budokai Tenkaichi (insert subtitle here). People will know it's a new Budokai Tenkaichi game but know not to expect every BT3 character in it.
I’m sure the game won’t actually be called BT4 in English speaking countries, but that initial announcement trailer did use footage from past games as a nostalgic hook, so right off the bat, that puts certain expectations on it.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:52 pm

While a nostalgic brand for long time fans that is surely to push some of the newest entry's sales, the Tenkaichi games still only sold under/around 2 million units each back in the day.
2 Mill at a time when the only new dragon ball content to look forward to was just the video games themselves, in the period between the end of the Z dub in 2003-4, and the start of Super in 2015, these were the bestselling DBZ games in that timeframe. since 2015(when DBS premiered) there have been 4 console games, those 4 games now make up the best selling Dragon Ball games of all time, Now imagine a new Tenkaichi releasing today in a post-DBS world
Captain-Sora wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:21 pmThey're niche anime titles rather than major releases general audiences are familiar with.
Ironic you mentioned this considering the top 3 bestselling DB games consists of an RPG, an arena fighter-RPG hybrid, it's sequal, and a 2D competitive fighter, that's about as niche as it gets, and yet.

[/quote]Considering it also pushed 8 mill, Would you say Xenoverse 2 share these qualities? Probable not.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:11 am

shadd21 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:52 pm
While a nostalgic brand for long time fans that is surely to push some of the newest entry's sales, the Tenkaichi games still only sold under/around 2 million units each back in the day.
2 Mill at a time when the only new dragon ball content to look forward to was just the video games themselves, in the period between the end of the Z dub in 2003-4, and the start of Super in 2015, these were the bestselling DBZ games in that timeframe. since 2015(when DBS premiered) there have been 4 console games, those 4 games now make up the best selling Dragon Ball games of all time, Now imagine a new Tenkaichi releasing today in a post-DBS world
Captain-Sora wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:21 pmThey're niche anime titles rather than major releases general audiences are familiar with.
Ironic you mentioned this considering the top 3 bestselling DB games consists of an RPG, an arena fighter-RPG hybrid, it's sequal, and a 2D competitive fighter, that's about as niche as it gets, and yet.

Considering it also pushed 8 mill, Would you say Xenoverse 2 share these qualities? Probable not.
[/quote]

Why don't you provide sources, numbers, and information for these 3 best selling games? And do you count every released game ever?

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:45 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:11 am Why don't you provide sources, numbers, and information for these 3 best selling games? And do you count every released game ever?
Kakarot, as of Jan 2022, sat at 4,500,000 copies, making it the 3rd highest selling DB game,

Xenoverse, as of Nov 2017, sat at 5,000,000 copies, making it the 2nd highest DB game

Both Xenoverse 2 and Fighter Z, as of Nov 2021 are tied as the best selling DB game, at 8,000,000 each

Here is a a sales figure list for every Dragon Ball game

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:26 pm

shadd21 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:45 am
sangofe wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:11 am Why don't you provide sources, numbers, and information for these 3 best selling games? And do you count every released game ever?
Kakarot, as of Jan 2022, sat at 4,500,000 copies, making it the 3rd highest selling DB game,

Xenoverse, as of Nov 2017, sat at 5,000,000 copies, making it the 2nd highest DB game

Both Xenoverse 2 and Fighter Z, as of Nov 2021 are tied as the best selling DB game, at 8,000,000 each

Thanks. Shocked at how much Shenlong No Nazo sold.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:35 pm

shadd21 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:45 am

The most surprising thing to me about that list is that BT2 apparently sold better than Budokai 3.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:42 am

shadd21 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:52 pm Considering it also pushed 8 mill, Would you say Xenoverse 2 share these qualities? Probable not.
That doesn't really refute my point, though. I'm not saying this new game won't sell. What I'm contesting is the notion that FighterZ didn't meet this gold standard for general audiences compared to the Tenkaichi label. The same game that's remembered as a title that got a notable foothold within the public consciousness leading up to its release, becoming one of the highest selling games of the franchise.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:06 am

Comparing games across ages by units sold is same as comparing how much The Last Jedi made in comparison to The Empire Strikes Back.
Apples and oranges... more so with games. Take into an account that games nowadays are also more available internationally, not only region-wise but you can download them in an instant plus they are multiplatform and available for PC, they were console exclusive back then and still, PCs are more widespread than consoles for obvious reasons. The technology and media themselves are also cheaper than back then plus all those huge sales discounts, where you can buy 60 dollar game for various prices, ranging from 9-19 dollars based on the deal and time after release. Or for free as part of a subscription.
I am not sure how the deals and subscription fall into units sold if ever, but here we are, welcome to the future where you have ton of media at your disposal and we can hoard stuff basically for pocket money.

And most of the games have live service and DLC to keep them alive longer, instead of updating the title and selling it as sequel.
So nowadays, with XV2, Kakarot and FighterZ, you get one Budokai Tenkaichi game that gets constant updates instead of three Budokai Tenkaichis. You're welcome.

P. S. When I was a kid, new cartridge with Pokémon Red for Game Boy sold for 50 dollars in my country. Yes, there is inflation, but we also earn more money and games pretty much cost around the same. That's a bonus factor for all I wrote above.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:03 pm

Captain-Sora wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:42 am
shadd21 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:52 pm Considering it also pushed 8 mill, Would you say Xenoverse 2 share these qualities? Probable not.
That doesn't really refute my point, though. I'm not saying this new game won't sell. What I'm contesting is the notion that FighterZ didn't meet this gold standard for general audiences compared to the Tenkaichi label. The same game that's remembered as a title that got a notable foothold within the public consciousness leading up to its release, becoming one of the highest selling games of the franchise.
And yet, Xeno 2 eclipses it, Perhaps you overlooked this statement i made..
shadd21 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:52 pm 2 Mill at a time when the only new dragon ball content to look forward to was just the video games themselves, in the period between the end of the Z dub in 2003-4, and the start of Super in 2015, these were the bestselling DBZ games in that timeframe. Since 2015(when DBS premiered) there have been 4 console games, those 4 games now make up the best selling Dragon Ball games of all time, Now imagine a new Tenkaichi releasing today in a post-DBS world
FighterZ's success with general audiences has less to do with it being a competitive fighter, or "Gaining a foothold within the public consciousness" and more to do with it being released during what is a essentially Dragon Ball's renaissance, similar to the success of the Budokai games which were released during the series initial explosion in the west (the Z dub was still ongoing when Budo1 came out)