"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: A new Budokai Tenkaichi has been announced

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:33 am

The character selection screen is going to be messy if they are not clever about the presentation.

They should probably go with tabs (with L1 and R1) to switch between Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT for example, putting a limit to the number of character slots on screen and rows of slots to display (was really impractical back then to go from one row to the other until you finally see the character you were looking for).

They could also have one slot for a same character, and then you select the version you want, only having separate slots if the character has changed a lot with age.
For example, you would only have Kid Goku, Adult Goku and GT Goku, with Adult Goku containing all of his versions from Z and Super when you select it.
Gohan would have Kid Gohan, Teen Gohan, Adult Gohan (which would include Z Highschool Gohan and all of his Super versions in a same "Adult" slot).

Yes, with a high number of characters, we need the character selection screen to be extremely simple, clear and appealing.
Compact versions of characters into a same slot that makes you select which version you want afterwards, and/or compact series into a same screen tab you can switch to and quickly see and select whoever you want.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:23 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:33 am The character selection screen is going to be messy if they are not clever about the presentation.
What if they sort them by order of appearance, like I did?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:23 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:33 am The character selection screen is going to be messy if they are not clever about the presentation.
What if they sort them by order of appearance, like I did?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:53 pm

^ It's a possibility, but that wouldn't be enough if the forms are their own characters. Then Normal Goku would be far from Super Saiyan Goku who would be far from Super Saiyan 3 Goku.

In any case, for quick selects, they should find the right balance.
You can't have too many character slots on screen at the same time, because it's not easy to read through when trying to find a specific character, and you don't know the size of people's TVs/screens.
But I hope they don't go the same way as previous games with a row showing only ten characters and having to switch the rows one after the other ten times before your character even appears on screen.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:00 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:53 pm ^ It's a possibility, but that wouldn't be enough if the forms are their own characters. Then Normal Goku would be far from Super Saiyan Goku who would be far from Super Saiyan 3 Goku.
I can see that being a possibility. By the way, are there any improvements my roster could make?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:34 pm

^ Well, I guess since they have to make very impressive next-gen (or actually "current-gen") models, they can't create as many as people would fantasize about, at least not at the beginning.

I think you really have to think about what they would deem essential to touch a bit of every part of the franchise, but being very limited compared to the BT3 roster and having to create sort of a "greatest hits" playlist of the characters.

It's a little bit like how Legends has to have much lesser characters than Dokkan Battle.
But even in the selective Legend rosters, there are some characters that you wouldn't expect as a priority that are thrown in!

Let's take a look at a simplified picture of the Legend roster to see what a game that has to have a limited selection while touching on all parts of the franchise (DB, DBZ, DBS, DBGT and the movies) ultimately chooses. It might be informative (though each dev might have their own preferences depending on the style of the game and their own artistic flair).

This is all the characters currently available as far as I know (all various versions are included into a same character, so Goku includes DB Goku, DBZ Goku, DBS Goku, DBGT Goku...). I've highlighted with a red frame those not to be taken in account because they are a duet, which seems unlikely with the Budokai Tenkaichi gameplay compared to Fighterz (though I've forgotten "Goku Black & Zamasu"!).
This could be a potential starting roster to touch on everything, but it does include some characters you wouldn't expect as a priority, like Yurin from DBS or young Bulma, or the whole Bardack crew and Bojack crew! This is because this game relies on events focused around a same specific story parts sometimes, but this new BT won't have that constraint, so they might skip most "henchmen" to begin with!

At least, it's informative about how they select people when the roster is more limited than in other games, and how they might have a handful of "odd choices" in the mix!

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:06 pm

Let's look at the necesary, plot critical fights. Don't have time for a full break down so I'll just do the Saiyan Saga

Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz: Requires goku, Piccolo, and Raditz to be playable

Nappa vs the Dragon Team: Requires Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, and Nappa at the bare minimum. Tien and Chiaotzu were part of it, but there role in it could be left off screen with a minimum of fuss

Goku vs Vegeta; Require Vegeta to be playable. Great Ape Vegeta could be relegated to just a cut scene, so he's optional

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:11 pm

jcogginsa wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:06 pm Let's look at the necesary, plot critical fights. Don't have time for a full break down so I'll just do the Saiyan Saga
In that case, can I do the Freeza arc and piggyback off of you?

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:52 pm

Feel Free. Anyone who wants to do that can do so

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:21 pm

I want Baby without using Vegeta as a host to be playable. He can have all three forms and take over people's bodies similar to how Buu's absorbation work in Budokai 2-3. The people that Baby can take over in battle:

Gohan
Goten
Trunks
Videl
Uub (what if)
Piccolo (what if)
Freeza (what if)
Janemba (can turn into Baby Janemba like he can in Heroes)
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:58 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:32 pm I read somewhere that it's going to be Super-focused, and that Moro will be in this one, but I have no official document stating this.
I don't know what makes you believe that when the manga so far has not been relevance in the games

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:31 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:11 pm
jcogginsa wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:06 pm Let's look at the necesary, plot critical fights. Don't have time for a full break down so I'll just do the Saiyan Saga
In that case, can I do the Freeza arc and piggyback off of you?
Since you're doing Frieza saga, I'll skip ahead to the Cell Saga

1. Trunks vs MechaFrieza- Requires Future Trunks with a Super Saiyan form. MechaFrieza I feel is optional as a distinct character. His role could be served with an alt-costume. King Cold would also be optional

2. Goku and then vegeta vs Android 19- Requires Adnroid 19, and also a Super Saiyan form of Vegeta

3. Vegeta vs Android 18: Requires Android 18

4. Piccolo vs Imperfect Cell: Requires Imperfect Cell, and a Post Kami fused Piccolo.

5. Picccolo vs Android 17: Requires Android 17

6. Cell vs Piccolo and Adnroids: Requires Android 16 and Semi-perfect Cell

7. Vegeta and then Trunks vs Cell: Requires Super Vegeta, Buff Trunks, and Perfect Cell

8. The Cell Games: requires Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, FPSSJ Goku, and the Cell jrs. Super perfect Cell I feel is optional

Piccolo vs Dr. Gero, I feel, is an optional fight, but Dr. Gero is so important to the plot that he'd probably be a character anyway, and thus the fight would probably be included

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:36 pm

They should probably go with tabs (with L1 and R1) to switch between Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT for example, putting a limit to the number of character slots on screen and rows of slots to display (was really impractical back then to go from one row to the other until you finally see the character you were looking for).

They could also have one slot for a same character, and then you select the version you want, only having separate slots if the character has changed a lot with age.
For example, you would only have Kid Goku, Adult Goku and GT Goku, with Adult Goku containing all of his versions from Z and Super when you select it.
Gohan would have Kid Gohan, Teen Gohan, Adult Gohan (which would include Z Highschool Gohan and all of his Super versions in a same "Adult" slot).

Yes, with a high number of characters, we need the character selection screen to be extremely simple, clear and appealing.
Compact versions of characters into a same slot that makes you select which version you want afterwards, and/or compact series into a same screen tab you can switch to and quickly see and select whoever you want.
I think a screen like the Raging Blast (1) selection screen but with the L1/R1 tab toggle function you mentioned could work great.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:05 pm

I'm doing the Key fights of the Buu arc:

-Goten vs Trunks(SS Goten and Trunks needed)
-Great Saiyaman vs Dabura (Base, SS/SS2 G Saiyaman, Dabura)
-Goku vs Majin Vegeta (SS2 Goku and Majin Vegeta)
-Fat Majin Buu vs Majin Vegeta (Fat Buu)
-SS3 Goku vs Fat Majin Buu (SS, SS2, SS3 Goku)
-Gotenks vs Super Buu (Super Buu, SS and SS3 Gotenks)
-Gohan vs Super Buu (Ultimate Gohan, orange gi)
-Buutenks vs Gohan (Super Buu and Gotenks, and have them fused)
-Buuhan vs Vegito (Super Buu and Ultimate Gohan fused together. Base and Super Vegito)
-Majin Buu vs Goku (Kid Buu and SS2 Vegeta if the fight includes his part)
-Goku vs Uub (Uub needed)

Optionals:
Gohan vs Goten (base and SS with different gi for Gohan)
Spopovich vs Videl (both are needed)
Goku vs Yakon (Yakon needed)
Vegeta vs Pui Pui (Pui Pui needed)
Great Saiyaman vs Fat Buu
Fat Buu vs Dabura
Piccolo vs Babidi (Babidi needed)
Goku vs Buutenks
Goku and Vegeta vs Buuhan
Mr. Buu vs Majin Buu

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:51 pm

I'm gonna do the Freeza arc, split up into two parts - the Namek arc and the Freeza arc. Both of these will have 5 story missions each.

Namek arc

2-1: Vegeta vs Cui, a cutscene, then Vegeta vs Dodoria

2-2: Vegeta vs Zarbon, Zarbon transforms, transformed Zarbon vs Vegeta

2-3: Cutscene of Vegeta's healing then getting out. Vegeta vs Zarbon

2-4: Cutscene of the Ginyu Special Force arriving, doing their poses, then leaving. Kuririn and Gohan vs Gurdo, then Vegeta vs Recoome. Cutscene of Goku fisting Recoome.

2-5: Goku vs Butta and Jheese, Goku vs Ginyu, cutscene of their bodies getting swapped.

Freeza arc

3-1: Kuririn and Gohan vs Ginyu Goku, then Vegeta vs Ginyu Goku. If you fuck the beam clash up, Vegeta turns into Ginyu Vegeta. If not, the story goes as normal.

3-2: Vegeta vs Jheese, then a cutscene of Goku getting into the healing tank, Porunga being summoned, Piccolo coming back, and Freeza's arrival.

3-3: Vegeta vs 1st Form Freeza, then cutscene of Piccolo fusing with Nail Freeza transforming, then Gohan raging out. Piccolo vs 2nd Form Freeza, then cutscene of Freeza transforming. Piccolo vs 3rd Form Freeza, then cutscene of Piccolo getting shot a bunch of times, then Freeza transforming. Final Form Freeza vs Vegeta, then cutscene of Goku's arrival and Vegeta's death.

3-4: Goku vs Final Form Freeza. Cutscene of Freeza doing the 50% of my Power scene, Goku taking his shirt off, and Kaio saying that Goku's using the Kaioken x10. Kaioken x20 Kamehameha, then a 60-second battle featuring Piccolo vs Freeza. Cutscene of the Genkidama being thrown at Freeza, and the aftermath.

3-5: Cutscene of Piccolo getting shot again and Kuririn dying, then Goku going Super Saiyan. Super Saiyan Goku vs Freeza, then cutscene of the I Am speech and Freeza throwing a ki sphere at Namek. Ah shit, now the planet's dying. Super Saiyan Goku vs Freeza, then cutscene of Freeza bulking up to 100%. Super Saiyan Goku vs 100% Freeza, then cutscene of Goku detransforming, Freeza throwing out his ki discs, Goku transforming, Freeza getting cut in half, Goku giving him his energy, then Freeza firing a Last Emperor at Goku's Angry Kamehameha. If you fuck up the beam clash, Goku dies, but Freeza stays on the exploding Namek. If not, then Freeza loses, Goku searches for Freeza's ship, pushes buttons on it, the ship falls into a lava ravine, Goku flies out and screams "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" then Namek explodes, and everyone gets revived.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:57 pm

female characters

Caulifla - kale - kefla - brianne de cheatu - Helles - Pan - Hop - Cocotte - Caway - Dercori - Mai

Male characters

Goten teen - Hit - Vegito Blue - Gogeta Blue - Zamasu/Merged Zamasu - Goku Black - Magetta - Broly Super - Goku UI form - Jiren
Pride Troppers (not all) - Vermouth etc

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:00 am

-Roster-

I would like it them to give priority to DBS, since we already so many games focusing in DBZ.

I would go first with:

Goku, Vegeta, Adult Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Future Trunks, Kid Trunks, Kid Goten, Gotenks, C17, C18, Fat Buu, Beerus, Freeza, Cabba, Hit, Goku Black, Zamasu, Merged Zamasu, Vegetto, Toppo, Jiren, Caulifla, Kale, Kefla, Trio De Dangers (Bergamo would be the playable one), Ribrianne, DBS Broly, Gogeta, Gama 1/2 and Cell Max.

And then some DBZ iconics: Raditz, Nappa, kid Gohan, Saiyan arc Vegeta, Dodoria, Zarbon, Ginyu Force, A19, Gero, A16, Cell Games Gohan, Cell, Videl, Super Buu, Kid Buu and Bardock.

- All the characters would have their transformations. Just like Tenkaichi we could choose which form to play with or transform in game. Characters like Goku and Vegeta which have a lot of transformations would need to have more than one character, Example: DBZ Goku (SSJ, SSJ2, SSJ3), DBS Goku (SSG, SSB, UI Sign and Mastered UI),

- I didn't include Moro and Granolah arcs, because I'm only counting with adapted material
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:23 am

I hope there aren't separate versions of the same character. I'd like to go from SS all the way to UI with the same Goku. I believe the Raging Blast games got it right, allowing you to customize your Super attacks and transformations.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:09 am

Yuji wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:23 am I hope there aren't separate versions of the same character. I'd like to go from SS all the way to UI with the same Goku. I believe the Raging Blast games got it right, allowing you to customize your Super attacks and transformations.
I feel like that will only happen with DLC characters

Say a new Dragon Ball movie comes out and Goku has a new form, Goku (New Form) will be a standalone character

, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Something I'm hoping for the game: tons of costumes for the characters

Badman Vegeta, Driving School Goku & Piccolo, etc.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:57 pm

Like the previous entries, they gosh darn better have AI fights in this. There's nothing quite like grabbing a brewski while watching General Blue beat the snot out of Perfect Cell.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):