Schemmel says that Nozawa told him they wanted to replace her for the role of adult Goku

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Schemmel says that Nozawa told him they wanted to replace her for the role of adult Goku

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:43 pm

2013 was also a decade ago. Plans probably have changed since then.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Schemmel says that Nozawa told him they wanted to replace her for the role of adult Goku

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:09 pm

dva_raza wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:23 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:21 pm Dunno why your go to is lying
Because of exactly what I just said.

The part that starts with "Cause that quote..."
Cause apparently people's memories are infallible and perfect and anything contradictory to the truth must be a purposeful lie. I guess.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:56 pm

I guess cause it's a little hard to believe it’s a memory issue when he said almost exactly the opposite of what the response was.

Question- Did you have to audition, or did you know you had it?
Response- I knew I had it.
Interpretation- She didn't have it! She had to audition!

What's the purpose in him even asking her a question if he's gonna go ahead and claim his own version of what happened lmao. Mario having a simliar story makes it extra weird.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:24 pm

For what it's worth, I think the whole thing about Nozawa potentially, or straight up being re-casted as Goku during Z/23rd Budokai arc before fan outrage brought her back, has been a rumor among certain parts of the fandom for a long time, just given how controversial her performance is among the fandom, or stuff like that. I don't think it's specifically to discredit her, but it's popped up quite a number of times, and I imagine for someone like Schemmel, who clearly loves the series but also does lots of work outside of it, and has done countless cons since then, it's not crazy that he conflicted things and misremembered what was said. That's just gonna happen from time to time, its probably happened with everybody about something they like but don't like, have a encyclopedia knowledge of. Stuff slips from your mind, you see people who say something that sounds similar to something in your mind, and then you state that thing. It's really not that weird.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:28 pm

It is weird when he said almost exactly the opposite of what the response was.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:00 pm

dva_raza wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:56 pm I guess cause it's a little hard to believe it’s a memory issue when he said almost exactly the opposite of what the response was.

Question- Did you have to audition, or did you know you had it?
Response- I knew I had it.
Interpretation- She didn't have it! She had to audition!

Nozawa mentioned she was used to being recast when her characters grew up and assumed that the same would happen with
Goku (because the quote is more than just the part you're paraphrasing). It's really not that big of a stretch that ten years later Schemmel would get his wires crossed in his memories and get that mixed up into thinking she had to re-audition for Goku.

What's the purpose in him even asking her a question if he's gonna go ahead and claim his own version of what happened lmao.
You seem to think he asked her a question and then immediately started spouting out the version he liked better the minute after.

The panel where he asked Nozawa was from 2013. The panel where he claims she has to re-audition was from this year 2023. Again ten years, that's plenty of time to forget details

And sure, he could be lying for uh I dunno clout? He could also just be really dumb and totally misunderstood Nozawa's answer.

But given the gap, I think it's fair to give him the benefit of the doubt he's misremembering and not immediately jump to OH MY GOD WHY IS HE LYING?!?!?

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:29 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:00 pm Nozawa mentioned she was used to being recast when her characters grew up and assumed that the same would happen with
Goku (because the quote is more than just the part you're paraphrasing). It's really not that big of a stretch that ten years later Schemmel would get his wires crossed in his memories and get that mixed up into thinking she had to re-audition for Goku.

Ok. I feel more at ease now.

But no btw, I wasn't at all "immediately jumping to "he's lying"", kinda the opposite. That's why I questioned what was said about Mario Castañeda too.

And sure, he could be lying for uh I dunno clout? He could also just be really dumb and totally misunderstood Nozawa's answer.
Why would enhancing Nozawa's story help his clout.

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:23 pm

LOL

Sean Schemmel also came to my college back in 2013 and said he was "good friends with Akira Toriyama." I take anything he says with a grain of salt.