Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 91 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 91 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Brettjr25 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:39 pm

I want to say "they made it canon!!" But what exactly is canon in dragon ball anyway? But seems like the story beats established by the video game, FighterZ is legitimized since it confirms no 21..err Vomi son is 16..err Gevo. Don't recall if the game said that the father was Gero or not.

Anyway but glad, horny trunks wannabe superhero arc is over and saiyaboys has been grounded.

More cute Pan! Yeah! Although I thought that Pan already knew how to fly and guess they're going to make piccolo her sensei. Would've loved to see Videl train her but super happy she's confirmed to be a fighter and teacher at that.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:17 pm

I normally don't use twitter as a barometer for anything, but was pleasantly surprised to see Toyotaro getting praise for the art of this chapter in comparison to the movie. I think he did a good job making it his own even though it is as close to being a shot-for-shot recreation as can be without being a facsimile.

Gero's family tree has been updated now, has it not? I don't remember Gero having another son outside of Gebo in the movie, but maybe I just didn't pay attention too well.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:19 pm

Can't say I'm excited for the coming months of its going to be 90% retelling. And then the other 10% is not that different or exciting.

Guess it's nice the manga won't just skip over something major like broly at least.

And yes I also don't remember a second son but perhaps it was drawn differently on the movie. Gevo is one of his sons and he isn't hedo's dad obviously.

It's wierd they don't have a name or picture there for hedos parents. With all the rr army resources why is it a mystery?

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:45 pm

Brettjr25 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:39 pm I want to say "they made it canon!!" But what exactly is canon in dragon ball anyway? But seems like the story beats established by the video game, FighterZ is legitimized since it confirms no 21..err Vomi son is 16..err Gevo. Don't recall if the game said that the father was Gero or not.

Anyway but glad, horny trunks wannabe superhero arc is over and saiyaboys has been grounded.

More cute Pan! Yeah! Although I thought that Pan already knew how to fly and guess they're going to make piccolo her sensei. Would've loved to see Videl train her but super happy she's confirmed to be a fighter and teacher at that.
Every movie written by Akira Toriyama is canon. Dragon Ball Battle of Gods the movie was canon before Dragon Ball Super even came out

So was resurrection F.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly was also canon. Given the creator himself wrote the script for these movies, it's definitely as canon as anything could be from the manga.

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:51 pm

What I find extremely interesting is how Dr. Hedo Is said to be Dr. Gero's Second son's only child. So Dr. Gero had two sons and we're only hearing about the one that Android 16 was modeled after?

I really would love for backstory on Vomi, as well as Gero and his older brother. Could make for an interesting one-shot, or hell, maybe something like Ginga Patrol Jako where it's approximately 10 chapters (give or take); that would make for an insanely interesting story and add more depth to anything that has to do with the Red Ribbon Army and the men correlated with it.

I also got confused at Pan mentioning the Kikoho? Was that an actual error? I'm more inclined to think it is, but it'd be funny if Pan had interaction with Tien (though I doubt it).

Krillin vs Dr. Hedo's bug is honestly crazy. You mean to tell me that this same bug is way stronger than 90% of characters from the Namek Arc? That's crazy, but whacky - Toriyama-esque with Toyo's spin on it I suppose.

Despite it being a near rehash of the movie, I like it. Given what's being drawn here, it's obvious that other characters will be given a chance to be fleshed out at least a bit more. I'm expecting more insight in regards to Piccolo as well as his sonn to be power-up.

Just have to wait another month.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:04 pm

It's funny how Piccolo punched a little girl into a mountain and she rose up like she just bumped her head 🤣

Then again, Pan did a couple laps around the Earth at one point.

I wonder if people consider Pan as the character with the highest potential in the franchise?
Last edited by ClutchBangstrip on Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:07 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:04 pm It's funny how Piccolo punched a little girl into a mountain and she just rose up like she just st bumped her head 🤣

If that was Gohan he'd get angry at the mountain

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:24 pm

Aside from the obvious comments, I'll just say that there were a lot of typos in the speech bubbles.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:26 pm

Am I right is assuming this manga retelling of Super Hero a more fleshed out version of the story? If so, I probably ought to watch DBS:SH ASAP...

This chapter was mostly good, except for the fact that Gohan has neglected his training yet AGAIN. Like, GOD, does Toriyama not know what else to do with that character?!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:42 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:26 pmThis chapter was mostly good, except for the fact that Gohan has neglected his training yet AGAIN. Like, GOD, does Toriyama not know what else to do with that character?!
To be fair, it seems that Gohan is making excellent and consistent progress in what he's actually chosen to do with his life.

It's just that as an audience we're generally invited to instead sympathise with most of the other people around him, who keep dragging him back to what is effectively his "side hustle" in order to bail them out of sporadic problems that they can't handle on their own, when (considering the fact that this is what they've chosen to do with their lives) they really ought to be better at all that stuff than they are.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:27 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:42 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:26 pmThis chapter was mostly good, except for the fact that Gohan has neglected his training yet AGAIN. Like, GOD, does Toriyama not know what else to do with that character?!
To be fair, it seems that Gohan is making excellent and consistent progress in what he's actually chosen to do with his life.

It's just that as an audience we're generally invited to instead sympathise with most of the other people around him, who keep dragging him back to what is effectively his "side hustle" in order to bail them out of sporadic problems that they can't handle on their own, when (considering the fact that this is what they've chosen to do with their lives) they really ought to be better at all that stuff than they are.
When you break it down like that, it's a fair in-universe assessment. Really the problem is us fans just can't let Gohan be a happy civilian.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:40 pm

I am not saying that Gohan should quit his job and become a full-time martial artist or whatever, I am just tired of how much his shtick of getting rusty and being forced to train is rehashed.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:32 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:17 pm I normally don't use twitter as a barometer for anything, but was pleasantly surprised to see Toyotaro getting praise for the art of this chapter in comparison to the movie. I think he did a good job making it his own even though it is as close to being a shot-for-shot recreation as can be without being a facsimile.

Gero's family tree has been updated now, has it not? I don't remember Gero having another son outside of Gebo in the movie, but maybe I just didn't pay attention too well.
He did. That other one was Dr. Hedo’s father. Iirc in the film he and his wife just appear as silhouettes.

I’ll check on the “Kikoho” thing once I have V-Jump. It’s likely it was just a slip-up on “kikoha,” the term for a generic ki-wave.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:56 pm

nineko wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:24 pm Aside from the obvious comments, I'll just say that there were a lot of typos in the speech bubbles.
Yeah, I noticed that. Plenty of typos and awkward syntax.

I decided to give the rest of the arc a chance. Luckily, the source material is good, so even a straightforward adaptation is enjoyable enough. Piccolo and Pan's interactions are always wholesome. You feel for Piccolo's outrage at Gohan because when you boil it down, the scenario is pretty relatable. Piccolo is the put-upon grandfather figure and a chronically introverted hermit who's expected to drop everything to pick up Pan because her father is too busy looking at golden ants on his computer (where's that Groundbreaking Science™ you're supposed to be studying, Gohan?) Gohan just digs himself deeper from there, he deserved that love tap. :lol:

The attempts at drawing connective tissue with the last three chapters are a mixed bag. Hedo holding a grudge against Trunks makes perfect sense, but Kuririn's police investigation is probably the wonkiest new part so far. Inserting him into Dr. Hedo and Magenta's car ride scene is laughable, not just because Kuririn gets wrecked by a fucking wasp (I expect Hachimaru respect threads). I'm guessing that Toyotaro was going for a Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead style gag here, but the revised scene is framed incredibly awkwardly, what with Kuririn battling Hachimaru in clear line of Carmine's rear view mirrors. What's worse is that we lose some of the cool imagery that helped to break up the dialogue in the movie, like Hedo imagining Bulma as a tyrannical alien ruler of the Capsule Corp mafia. Also, is it me, or does Gamma #2 look weird in this art style?

Beyond all that, the comic so far doesn't reveal as much new information as some are making out. The Gero family tree was already revealed in the movie, by Carmine rather than Kuririn.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:33 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:04 pm It's funny how Piccolo punched a little girl into a mountain and she rose up like she just bumped her head 🤣

I wonder if people consider Pan as the character with the highest potential in the franchise?
Nah, love her but Uub and Broly both have way higher potential.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:21 pm

The good: I appreciate that Kuririn, Goten and Trunks have something of an actual role in this story arc and aren't just pointless fanservice inclusions like in the movie. We're also getting more thematic tie-ins.

The bad: Toyotaro's artstyle is wholly inferior to Kubota's, so whenever a panel riffs straight off of the movie, it doesn't suit the iconography as well. I'm just nitpicking there, however.

The rest: Super's "Super Hero" arc looks like it'll be an extended edition of Super Hero (2022), meaning a 1:1 adaptation with some extra context and scenes. It'll still be a mostly fun romp as long as the manga paces it well, though I don't have much to add that I haven't already said about the film. It certainly has the potential to improve upon the original, so I'm interested in that.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:35 pm

Brettjr25 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:33 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:04 pm It's funny how Piccolo punched a little girl into a mountain and she rose up like she just bumped her head 🤣

Nah, love her but Uub and Broly both have way higher potential.
Really? It doesn't seem that clear-cut, to me. Pan's only like 4 or 5 at the EoZ and showed she was capable of a lot for a toddler.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:19 am

Yasai9001 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:45 pm
Brettjr25 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:39 pm I want to say "they made it canon!!" But what exactly is canon in dragon ball anyway?
Every movie written by Akira Toriyama is canon. Dragon Ball Battle of Gods the movie was canon before Dragon Ball Super even came out

So was resurrection F.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly was also canon. Given the creator himself wrote the script for these movies, it's definitely as canon as anything could be from the manga.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:56 am

Miracles wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:19 am
Yasai9001 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:45 pm
Brettjr25 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:39 pm I want to say "they made it canon!!" But what exactly is canon in dragon ball anyway?

So was resurrection F.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you two are talking about. I was referring to the different versions of the stories not if anything is canon. Are you implying only the movies are canon? Then what about the stories that take place between them that are referenced in the movie? What version is canon since both the anime and manga differ? Etc. Its not something you can answer since you're not involved with the series and which is why my question was rhetorical.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:28 am

Cipher wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:32 pm
BWri wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:17 pm I normally don't use twitter as a barometer for anything, but was pleasantly surprised to see Toyotaro getting praise for the art of this chapter in comparison to the movie. I think he did a good job making it his own even though it is as close to being a shot-for-shot recreation as can be without being a facsimile.

He did. That other one was Dr. Hedo’s father. Iirc in the film he and his wife just appear as silhouettes.

I’ll check on the “Kikoho” thing once I have V-Jump. It’s likely it was just a slip-up on “kikoha,” the term for a generic ki-wave.
Update and correction. The Japanese version also uses 気功砲 / Kikoho, Tenshinhan’s technique. The movie and anime comic use 気功波 / kikoha as you would expect. Looks like the slip-up was on Toyotaro. We might see that corrected in the collected edition.