Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 91 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 91 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:06 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 91

復活したRR軍!!
Fukkatsu Shita Reddo Ribon Gun!!
The Red Ribbon Army's Revival!!

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: March 20, 2023
Publication: V-Jump, May 2023 Issue
Cost: ¥620

In Japan, the Dragon Ball Super manga is serialized within V-Jump, a monthly print magazine produced by Shueisha. V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately. The May 2023 issue of V-Jump containing Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 91 will be released on March 20, 2023.

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: March 19, 2023 (timed to the JP midnight-on-March-20th release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 91 were posted on March 13 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 91. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads so many years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.

Q: I want to learn more about what's going on with this manga's production!

A: Check out Episode #0489 of our podcast for an extreme deep-dive (with all the receipts you can eat!) into the production of the manga, including all of the ways that Toyotaro, Akira Toriyama, and Victory Uchida each individually contribute to it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 91 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragmobot12 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:38 am

I suppose the rehashing of the film arc is necessary because it's easier to connect the story to the end of Z than to jump straight from the Granolah arc.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:16 am

I think this recap is necessary as there’s some confusion with how the anime should fit in this timeline. I wasn’t really looking forward to this, but the drafts with Kuririn make it sound like we’ll get things from a different perspective.

Are there any plans to create a subforum to archive past chapter discussions, like the anime one? I think that would be a much better way of archiving the threads than dogpilling them on the pinned of this section.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:41 am

There's some pretty obvious shifts in sketch quality on a couple of Piccolo panels (top panel page 1, and especially middle panel page 6). Suddenly there's way fewer chicken scratches in some areas. Toriyama corrections, maybe? (or they just started cleaning up those panels early :P )
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:35 am

Battle of Gods only had 4 chapters, I don't even know if this movie arc will be treated the same.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:14 pm

Unsure as to how the involvement with the police will pan out (no pun intended) but the beginning with Piccolo waiting for Pan outside was admittedly very cute, despite the language barrier. His face says it all, though I can't say if the conversation seems to be routine or not. It probably is but I'm not 100%. At the very least, there will be some difference from the movie that'll be interesting to see.

Maybe I'm misremembering but has anyone outside of the tournament announcer remember King Piccolo? I don't remember some Buu esque forget it all wish for Piccolo, but that's likely just me not knowing the story for a long time now.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:09 pm

Wrigglything wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:14 pm Maybe I'm misremembering but has anyone outside of the tournament announcer remember King Piccolo? I don't remember some Buu esque forget it all wish for Piccolo, but that's likely just me not knowing the story for a long time now.
During the Cell Games, the King, that dog, said Goku looked like the kid that defeated Piccolo Daimaoh, so he sure remembers what happened, I can't recall if the people around the king knew what he was talking about.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:49 pm

Wrigglything wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:14 pm Unsure as to how the involvement with the police will pan out (no pun intended) but the beginning with Piccolo waiting for Pan outside was admittedly very cute, despite the language barrier. His face says it all, though I can't say if the conversation seems to be routine or not. It probably is but I'm not 100%. At the very least, there will be some difference from the movie that'll be interesting to see.

Maybe I'm misremembering but has anyone outside of the tournament announcer remember King Piccolo? I don't remember some Buu esque forget it all wish for Piccolo, but that's likely just me not knowing the story for a long time now.
I don't think it is, at least not with that teacher. She basically asks where Pan's parents are, and Piccolo explains the reason why they aren't here. And then Pan chimes in that if she's going with Piccolo she'll be okay.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:21 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:35 am Battle of Gods only had 4 chapters, I don't even know if this movie arc will be treated the same.
I dont see any reason why this cant be over by July, if not August at the latest.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:41 am

The fact that we gonna waste months on this recap is lame. Even more considering we had a hiatus some months ago.

The story will be better told because that's what usually happens with extended versions, but it's still not worth it for me. Could get that whenever the anime comes back
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:16 pm

Can Krillin sink any lower than this

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:26 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:16 pm Can Krillin sink any lower than this
I mean, it's hard for a kids comic character to get any lower than being a cop. :lol:
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:46 pm

The Color Page is very well done, cool and cute at the same time! Props to Toyotaro :thumbup:

...Admittedly, not the best month for Krillin fans :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:33 pm

So do people still look at Piccolo strangly? I would imagine people would have move on after he blew up a Island over 20 years ago.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:20 am

This was… literally just the movie… except with some Krillin stuff. Like almost shot for shot.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:47 am

I should say I'm enjoying what I'm seeing until now. It feels a little more fleshed out than in the movie. I was always curious about how Toyotaro would expand on Pan and Piccolo's interactions. My expectations aren't high either and I need some rest of the franchise, so I have no problem with it going for more 4 months.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:26 pm

I cannot say I didn't like this because I really liked the movie, but... an entire chapter just to recap the first 15 minutes of a 1h40min movie?
Feels like a waste of time and resources. I mean, it's nice and all, loved seeing Pan and Piccolo vibe, but if it's going to be a play by play of the movie + Krilin hiding behind the bushes, then it should've been a full on volume release and not monthly installments.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:25 pm

I preferred the joke with Carmino really being a bad driver tbh.

Did anyone else catch that Kikoho line? Obviously a translation mistake, but a really weird one.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:38 pm

I like the new additions.

Pan wanting to be Super Hero like Goten/Trunks and that being the main reason why Piccolo trains her is a smart way of connecting the prequel and keeping the Super Hero theme of this story.

As a officer, Krillin being involved since the beginning is also better than the movie where he only appears for the final battle. Speaking of Krillin, I don't know why modern Dragon Ball makes him so small. He only looks ok with his default DBZ gi...

I like how Toyotaro expands stuff introduced by Toriyama. Toriyama is the one who made Krillin a officer, but Toyotaro is the one who shows us his boss.Just like in Moro arc where he expanded Galactic Patrol.

There's not much else to say. I don't know why some people were in such hurry for Goten/Trunks prequel to end. The next months will be a recap of movie we already saw. Mostly shot for shot... :roll:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:31 pm

This chapter solidified my view that Toyataro is excellent with drawing action sequences. The fights were a standout in the last arc (thankfully, as that arc was 99% just fighting).

Case in point, he makes
pretty exciting.

Compared to the Battle of Gods super fast adaptation, I like how this movie adaptation is looking so far. Fleshed out and fun.