Could the Moro and Granolla Animated Adaptations get the same hype as Black and ToP?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Could the Moro and Granolla Animated Adaptations get the same hype as Black and ToP?

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:11 pm

I haven't seen anyone discussing it yet, I see many people hyped for a animated adaptation ot these two arcs, but I never see them discussing how much hype these adaptations could generate
I already talked about this with someone and this person said "the majority of people don't read the comic", but that isn't my point
my point is the fact that these two arcs have already been concluded in the comic and we still doesn't have the animated versions It's a completely different situation from the Black & ToP time
The episodes of the animated series were always released much prior to the comic chapters, so in reality, no one could be aware of what would happen in the next episode of the tv series, there wasn't a comic or anything else for you to check and see what would happen, this resulted in the monstruous hype and amount of theories regarding the tv series, and let's not forget that the hype was also very huge because the TV Series is the main product that most people consume, reaching a bigger audience than the comic.
Now the current scenario changed, the stories of the new arcs not only had already been fully told in the comic, but the comic itself doesn't reach the same audience as the TV series
But there is the trick, even though many people don't read the comic, it doesn't mean that these same people aren't aware that the comic is still getting new chapters
I saw a lot of people that don't read the comic but are fully aware about the new arcs, my own cousin is a example
For TV-watchers fans specially it might be impossible to not be aware of the new stories in the comic.
Now let's think about the following scenario:

The Animated Adaptation of Moro starts with a episode, and then you need to wait one to week to see what happens next

Are you, someone who never read the comic, going to patiently wait for one week to watch the next episode
Or you are going to check out the comic to see what happens?

That's my point, it doesn't matter if people don't read the comic, the spoilers would be unavoidable
We aren't in the late 90's and early 2000's anymore, where internet acess wasn't something for everyone, people got hyped for Z because at the time the only way they could know what would happen next was buying a copy of the comic and its volumes (or maybe playing the video games)
Not saying that people won't get hyped for Moro and Granolla animated, but just that it can't have the same hype as Black and ToP.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

danyq94

Re: Could the Moro and Granolla Animated Adaptations get the same hype as Black and ToP?

Post by danyq94 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:48 am

Just as the internet will break down once One Piece anime shows the
so too for the animated scenes of the Moro and Granola arcs will get amazed fans and consequent broken internet upon the release of the episodes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Could the Moro and Granolla Animated Adaptations get the same hype as Black and ToP?

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:59 am

I doubt spoilers will have any significant impact on they hype or popularity of the arcs. I know the internet is ubiquitous at this point and so is social media, but audiences aren't getting spoiled via social media. I doubt nearly as many people watching DB are hardcore fans who want to know everything, and even if they did, I also doubt it would negatively impact their anticipation. I know this is anecdotal, but I read a bunch of summaries for DB after I was exposed to it in the mid to late 90s. I knew of Super Saiyan YEARS in advance of most US Dragon Ball fans and I was super psyched for the episode where Goku turns SSJ for the first time to air.

I've read some research that suggests audiences aren't as negatively impacted by spoilers as one would assume. I honestly kinda get it even though few things beat a great surprise.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:02 am

I don't think so, No.

The reason why Black's introduction shook Anime fandom so much is because it truly was an unprecedented moment for DBS. Before the introduction of Black, DBS had 2 arcs retelling the events of 2 movies that everyone had already seen, and the first original arc of DBS was just a friendly match between two universes in a friendly setting.

The reason why Black's introduction was so memorable is because, in that moment, DBS stopped being all fun and games and became serious and dark. And this was the intention of the writers. The first ep. of the arc literally opens with an overview shot of the destroyed future, with Trunks desperately escaping from an unseen and evil presence. Fan-favourite Future Bulma is killed on-screen, Mai (another fan-favourite) is also supposedly killed. All the while, the episode cut back to the Present timeline to show the contrast between the peace and calm that the Main timeline took for granted, and the bleak desolation of the Future timeline.

Black was also more hyped simply by design. A Goku look-alike with an evil smirk and with a Potara earring will generate way more speculation online than some random goat or some random bounty hunter no one's ever seen before. It should be obvious why.

For all these reasons, IF (and big IF) those two arcs ever get animated, No, I don't think Moro and Granola's introduction will shake Anime fandom just as much as Zamasu's.

Will they still generate hype? Yes, because it's Dragon Ball. Will they give us ground-breaking, unprecedented moments (in the context of DBS) like this one? Most likely NO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWBDtk03XI&t

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:37 am

With 5 years and counting without a show, even the light-hearted mini arc of CleanGod would get an insane hype. Shit, even Kai got some hype and it was literally DBZ but shorter and looking worse.

Now, seriously, the ToP had a sense of finality, the end of the line, like even the audience's lives were at stake, and the Black arc had mystery, an evil Goku and the return of Future Trunks.
I don't see the Granny arc having much hype up until Freeza's new form shows up, the arc is kinda dull and repetitive, but the Moro arc, specially, or should I say only, when Goku masters Ultra Instict for good would have a great deal of hype, maybe not as much but definitely up there with episodes 130 and 131.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:48 am

Obligatory "there is no official announcement or indication of Dragon Ball Super returning to serialized television broadcast".

That said, something I haven't seen brought up in this thread yet is the voice cast.

Norio Wakamoto brought new depth to Cell that wasn't necessarily there in the original text. Likewise, Shinichiro Miki brought a whole new depth to Zamasu alongside Nozawa's own incredible performance for the Goku Black equivalent.

(I... uhh... have nothing to say about Jiren. 🤷‍♂️)

You get the right charismatic voice actor in for Moro, and you're golden. Someone that can do a weathered and gruff (almost "neigh"-ing) performance at first, and then bring it back around to younger/wild for the subsequent forms? That'd be an incredible experience.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:58 pm

I think those stories are very lackluster but it would probably excite fans if only for being new animated DB. If it ever comes to this it is possible that the arcs would be as different as the anime and manga takes on the ToP were anyway.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:08 pm

I doubt it. For starters, we already know how the Moro and Granolah arcs play out thanks to the manga. Goku Black generated a lot of hype because of the mystery surrounding him. People genuinely had no idea who he was, or how the story was going to go, and his presence signaled a much darker turn for DBS. The fact that they brought back Future Trunks only added to the hype.

Aside from that, I think the Moro and Granolah arcs are pretty boring and tedious. Moro in particular is just about the most cliched concept for a Dragon Ball villain I can think of, right down to having vore powers. The biggest compliment I can give him is that his goat design was at least somewhat unique for a Dragon Ball villain, but then they went and ruined it by having transform into something that just looks like Perfect Cell.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:24 pm

It's absolutely possible to make exciting animated adaptions of these arcs but that does require a few things. One, of ocurse, is a healthy production schedule. Without time for your production crew to create a good piece of art you're not going to get an exciting piece of art. Secondly is creative freedom. Far too often publishers or studio executives will hire a director with terrible creative restrictions that make creating a good piece of art difficult. The series director of these the animated version of these arcs is going to need to have the wiggle room to change details. That's simply how television adaption works.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:21 pm

It’d operate exactly like any other manga adaptation anime, right? Some readers would ignore it, but it would still get plenty of talk and attention from those experiencing it for the first time, or from comic-readers as far as how it worked as an adaptation.

(I also really feel like people are underestimating the amount of crowd-pleasers in the Granolah arc, from Vegeta’s transformation to Bardock, as well as how much spectacle its fights allow for in animation and already have in the manga.)

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:23 am

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:48 amYou get the right charismatic voice actor in for Moro, and you're golden. Someone that can do a weathered and gruff (almost "neigh"-ing) performance at first, and then bring it back around to younger/wild for the subsequent forms? That'd be an incredible experience.
If Moro ever gets a voice, I only want Akio Ōtsuka to play him. He would be a perfect fit for that character.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:05 am

Cipher wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:21 pm It’d operate exactly like any other manga adaptation anime, right? Some readers would ignore it, but it would still get plenty of talk and attention from those experiencing it for the first time, or from comic-readers as far as how it worked as an adaptation.
That's what I was thinking. The vast majority of anime is an adaptation of a manga or light novel but that doesn't stop fans from enjoying them. More people watch anime than read manga so there are going to be many fans experiencing those arcs for the first time through the anime. I think all the manga series in the top 10 had a boost in sales after their anime began. That would mean many didn't mind reading ahead and seeing spoilers while waiting between anime seasons.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:55 am

The anime also has a bad habit of giving things away in either the episode titles and the next epside previews. I don't think spoilers would be that big of a deal.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:56 am

The same amount of hype? Maybe not. But I have little doubt they would still generate hype. Much like how I still see people excited about the end to the Attack on Titan anime, even though the manga ended a good while ago and people hated how it ended. (Well, obviously not everyone, but I see way more negativity than positivity about the ending to AoT. Maybe I'm biased because I found the ending bad enough to pretty much retroactively kill any fondness I had for the entire series though.)

I have little doubt that there's still a gigantic horde of somewhat more casual fans who watched the anime but don't read the manga and haven't been following the fan discourse surrounding the series in recent years who would still be excited to get more Dragon Ball. It might not set the world on fire like the Future Trunks arc and the Universe Survival arcs did, sure... But it still seems like a pretty surefire bet that DBS2 would be a hit, which is why it is pretty weird that all these years later, we still have no clear confirmation that one is happening.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:29 pm

danyq94 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:48 am Just as the internet will break down once One Piece anime shows the
so too for the animated scenes of the Moro and Granola arcs will get amazed fans and consequent broken internet upon the release of the episodes.
I don't know anything about One Piece, but doesn't the animated series release new episodes non-stop since it's premiere?
Animated Super ended in the ToP and we're 5 years without new episodes without any sigh of it's return, this scenario could make fans not resist to what's going on in the comic.
One Piece never stopped I guess? This leads to a huge amount of people not reading the comic because "they are aware the animated version is coming soon", so they don't need to read the comic, unlike Super's current scenario.
Or I probably just don't know what I'm talking.
ABED wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:59 am I doubt spoilers will have any significant impact on they hype or popularity of the arcs. I know the internet is ubiquitous at this point and so is social media, but audiences aren't getting spoiled via social media. I doubt nearly as many people watching DB are hardcore fans who want to know everything, and even if they did, I also doubt it would negatively impact their anticipation. I know this is anecdotal, but I read a bunch of summaries for DB after I was exposed to it in the mid to late 90s. I knew of Super Saiyan YEARS in advance of most US Dragon Ball fans and I was super psyched for the episode where Goku turns SSJ for the first time to air.

I've read some research that suggests audiences aren't as negatively impacted by spoilers as one would assume. I honestly kinda get it even though few things beat a great surprise.
Well I didn't say that they would ruin people's experiences, myself is a proof of that
My point is, you have fans that are already aware of Ultra Ego Vegeta, Black Freeza and stuff and non-fans that got spoiled VS fans who aren't aware of what's going to happen and non-fans that are even less aware.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:02 am I don't think so, No.

The reason why Black's introduction shook Anime fandom so much is because it truly was an unprecedented moment for DBS. Before the introduction of Black, DBS had 2 arcs retelling the events of 2 movies that everyone had already seen, and the first original arc of DBS was just a friendly match between two universes in a friendly setting.

The reason why Black's introduction was so memorable is because, in that moment, DBS stopped being all fun and games and became serious and dark. And this was the intention of the writers. The first ep. of the arc literally opens with an overview shot of the destroyed future, with Trunks desperately escaping from an unseen and evil presence. Fan-favourite Future Bulma is killed on-screen, Mai (another fan-favourite) is also supposedly killed. All the while, the episode cut back to the Present timeline to show the contrast between the peace and calm that the Main timeline took for granted, and the bleak desolation of the Future timeline.

Black was also more hyped simply by design. A Goku look-alike with an evil smirk and with a Potara earring will generate way more speculation online than some random goat or some random bounty hunter no one's ever seen before. It should be obvious why.

For all these reasons, IF (and big IF) those two arcs ever get animated, No, I don't think Moro and Granola's introduction will shake Anime fandom just as much as Zamasu's.

Will they still generate hype? Yes, because it's Dragon Ball. Will they give us ground-breaking, unprecedented moments (in the context of DBS) like this one? Most likely NO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoWBDtk03XI&t
What if comic Black arc was also released before the animated adaptation? Would everything you said have happened? Of course, but at the same scale? Hmm..
If the animated adaptations were still advanced in relation to the comic, this scenario would've been different
I've saw many theories regarding the Moro and Granolla arcs when both where still on the run, now imagine if they were animated and released before the comic?
Let's remember that in the Black arc, except for Trunks amd Black, there was no new transformations or abilities for Goku and Vegeta, something that happened in Moro and Granolla.
Also Black wasn't the only thing that has generated a lot of mysteries in his arc, but I think you're specifically talking about moments that shocked the entire internet, and yeah, I don't remember the internet getting shocked with all the Zamasu stuff and all either.
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:37 am With 5 years and counting without a show, even the light-hearted mini arc of CleanGod would get an insane hype. Shit, even Kai got some hype and it was literally DBZ but shorter and looking worse.

Now, seriously, the ToP had a sense of finality, the end of the line, like even the audience's lives were at stake, and the Black arc had mystery, an evil Goku and the return of Future Trunks.
I don't see the Granny arc having much hype up until Freeza's new form shows up, the arc is kinda dull and repetitive, but the Moro arc, specially, or should I say only, when Goku masters Ultra Instict for good would have a great deal of hype, maybe not as much but definitely up there with episodes 130 and 131.
Dull and repetitive? What if the scenario was their animated counterparts releasing before the comic?
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:24 pm It's absolutely possible to make exciting animated adaptions of these arcs but that does require a few things. One, of ocurse, is a healthy production schedule. Without time for your production crew to create a good piece of art you're not going to get an exciting piece of art. Secondly is creative freedom. Far too often publishers or studio executives will hire a director with terrible creative restrictions that make creating a good piece of art difficult. The series director of these the animated version of these arcs is going to need to have the wiggle room to change details. That's simply how television adaption works.
Makaioshin wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:58 pm I think those stories are very lackluster but it would probably excite fans if only for being new animated DB. If it ever comes to this it is possible that the arcs would be as different as the anime and manga takes on the ToP were anyway.
That pretty much sums up my current reasoning, I personally think FANS would only get hyped for Moro and Granolla because they would finally be able to see the fights and stuff fully animated, and that's it, not story, or anything
People got hyped for Black and ToP not only because of animation, but also because of the story.
The comic already have everything, so why would them care about the story?
Or I should speak for myself? Because at least I would get hyped for it only because of the animation.
I can only see myself and everyone else hyped for the story if they really changed a lot of stuff, maybe even more than ToP did.
Cipher wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:21 pm It’d operate exactly like any other manga adaptation anime, right? Some readers would ignore it, but it would still get plenty of talk and attention from those experiencing it for the first time, or from comic-readers as far as how it worked as an adaptation.

(I also really feel like people are underestimating the amount of crowd-pleasers in the Granolah arc, from Vegeta’s transformation to Bardock, as well as how much spectacle its fights allow for in animation and already have in the manga.)
U're talking in a technical & critical perspective, right? Because I genuinely can see the casual audience discussing the adaptations because of their quality, direction and stuff, because story-wise, I almost can't see anyone discussing it.
And yeah, things as Bardock and Vegeta Ultra Ego would only hype for fans to see things animated, but the story? Hmm...
ABED wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:55 am The anime also has a bad habit of giving things away in either the episode titles and the next epside previews. I don't think spoilers would be that big of a deal.
Super too :eh: ?
Vegard Aune wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:56 am The same amount of hype? Maybe not. But I have little doubt they would still generate hype. Much like how I still see people excited about the end to the Attack on Titan anime, even though the manga ended a good while ago and people hated how it ended. (Well, obviously not everyone, but I see way more negativity than positivity about the ending to AoT. Maybe I'm biased because I found the ending bad enough to pretty much retroactively kill any fondness I had for the entire series though.)
Again, I don't know anything about Attack on Titan, but maaaaaaaaybeeee, these people are excited to see if the animated adaptation is going to improve the ending?
I think maybe the same could even be said for Moro and Granolla, they could try to improve story elements in the animation
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:19 am

I don't know about the same level of hype necessarily, especially the Top which was an inter universal tournament with some elements that can be inferred from sporting events like the World Cup, but there are many elements in both arcs that can provide a reasonable amount of hype for a franchise this age should they play their cards right.

Like, I doubt we'll be seeing another mass viewing like the final episodes of Super, especially since the tournament can be interpreted as a sports event where each universe being a team of sorts whereas the two arcs don't warrant the same sort of appeal a football event might have in a stadium viewing. That, and Toei would be more than willing to send a cease and desist, or an equivalent, something which I doubt those venues and cities want to deal with again.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:22 pm

It’s definitely an interesting arguement because most anime I watch, such as Attack on Titan, or Chainsaw Man, I immediately look for manga after I’m caught up. But we still have not had confirmation of an anime continuation. They have had several arcs that has given then ample time but nothing yet

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:05 am

IMO, anime and manga, even when covering the same content are very different experiences.

Music, movement, voice acting, direction, and director's liberties to change some things - even if you disliked manga, there's a chance you could like, even love animated version.

And frankly, for me personally, anime was always definitive version when it comes to Dragon Ball in general.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:48 am

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:48 am Obligatory "there is no official announcement or indication of Dragon Ball Super returning to serialized television broadcast".

That said, something I haven't seen brought up in this thread yet is the voice cast.

Norio Wakamoto brought new depth to Cell that wasn't necessarily there in the original text. Likewise, Shinichiro Miki brought a whole new depth to Zamasu alongside Nozawa's own incredible performance for the Goku Black equivalent.

(I... uhh... have nothing to say about Jiren. 🤷‍♂️)

You get the right charismatic voice actor in for Moro, and you're golden. Someone that can do a weathered and gruff (almost "neigh"-ing) performance at first, and then bring it back around to younger/wild for the subsequent forms? That'd be an incredible experience.
Yeah, Goku Black only works for me thanks to the production in the anime ... mostly Nozawa's menacing performance. Production will bring a lot to both arcs especially if the animation goes all in like they did for the ToP.

That said, ToP itself was basically milked for hype. The latter arcs have their moments but perhaps nothing like what was seen in the ToP anime on an episode by episode basis. In Moro, since we already have UI, it's less of a big moment. Goku Susanoo, Yamcha being cool briefly, Gohan + Piccolo's combos, Vegeta's training/spirit fission, and the arcs climax will get some hype but very little else.

Now that I think about it, Granolah might equal the ToP hype with some unique fighting styles (sniping and weapon conjuring) which could be a visual feast with the right animators, Ultra Ego, Bardock/his new "state"/and flashbacks, Black Frieza, and Gas' gruesome death.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:41 pm

Count me in the "probably not" camp. Regardless of how I feel about Super (the anime) i think Black and ToP benefited from momentum that's probably been lost since the 5 years since Super' being taking off the air. Black especially was treated as a course correction, and ToP benefited from all the hype surrounding Ultra Instinct Goku.