How's Toriyama doing these days?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: How's Toriyama doing these days?

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 pm

As far as any of us know he's doing well, he probably lives a very comfortable and happy life with all of the money he has made from Dragon Ball. The last TV interview I remember of him was done in promotion of Battle of Gods, he was wearing a track suit like the one Gohan wears, and they didn't show his face. He probably prefers to keep a low profile so he doesn't get stopped everywhere he goes.

(I searched for the video interview but I can't find it, it's making me wonder if I imagined it πŸ˜…)

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:49 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: ↑Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 pm As far as any of us know he's doing well, he probably lives a very comfortable and happy life with all of the money he has made from Dragon Ball. The last TV interview I remember of him was done in promotion of Battle of Gods, he was wearing a track suit like the one Gohan wears, and they didn't show his face. He probably prefers to keep a low profile so he doesn't get stopped everywhere he goes.

(I searched for the video interview but I can't find it, it's making me wonder if I imagined it πŸ˜…)
He did some faceless interviews for BoG and RF. I wonder when his last appearance where we saw his face was. Perhaps that time he visited New York for a Jump promotion or something?

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:23 am

Jord wrote: ↑Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:49 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: ↑Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 pm As far as any of us know he's doing well, he probably lives a very comfortable and happy life with all of the money he has made from Dragon Ball. The last TV interview I remember of him was done in promotion of Battle of Gods, he was wearing a track suit like the one Gohan wears, and they didn't show his face. He probably prefers to keep a low profile so he doesn't get stopped everywhere he goes.

He did some faceless interviews for BoG and RF. I wonder when his last appearance where we saw his face was. Perhaps that time he visited New York for a Jump promotion or something?
The most recent picture of him that I've seen was from 2017 when he was asked about being mentioned in the Paradise Papers. Surprising news, for sure.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:58 am

Ronin wrote: ↑Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:23 am The most recent picture of him that I've seen was from 2017 when he was asked about being mentioned in the Paradise Papers. Surprising news, for sure.
I remember hearing that picture was taken when the reporter ambushed him to ask about those papers while he was taking out his garbage, which is presumably why he doesn't look very happy in it- he probably didn't appreciate some rando reporter bugging him about tax stuff (I believe he told the reporter that he leaves his tax stuff to other people so he didn't know about what was going on with the paradise papers).

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:18 am

I knew Toriyama had some sort of tax problems, but the fucking Paradise Papers?! LMAO
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:50 pm

PurestEvil wrote: ↑Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:18 am I knew Toriyama had some sort of tax problems, but the fucking Paradise Papers?! LMAO
So Akira Toriyama was evading taxes like Wesley Snipes? Suprise he needs to do that given the amount of money DB makes.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:02 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: ↑Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:50 pm
PurestEvil wrote: ↑Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:18 am I knew Toriyama had some sort of tax problems, but the fucking Paradise Papers?! LMAO
So Akira Toriyama was evading taxes like Wesley Snipes? Suprise he needs to do that given the amount of money DB makes.
Having money and not paying your taxes aren't mutually exclusive.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:16 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: ↑Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:50 pm
The more you have the more likely you are to hide it so you don't have to pay taxes.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:03 pm

Yeah, it is not surprising at all that rich people try to hold onto every single penny they have accumulated.

It's only surprising when they actually have no problem paying their taxes.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:33 pm

Koitsukai wrote: ↑Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:03 pm Yeah, it is not surprising at all that rich people try to hold onto every single penny they have accumulated.

It's only surprising when they actually have no problem paying their taxes.
They only do that if they have a team of lawyers going through all the laws and loopholes to bring their taxes down to nilch.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:58 pm

Maybe "crazy" or "disappointing" would've been a better word?