Would there be an interest at this point in adapting the U6, Zamasu and ToP arcs into movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Would there be an interest at this point in adapting the U6, Zamasu and ToP arcs into movies?

Post by Yuji » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:03 am

Seems like it was a popular opinion back when the arcs were running that Toriyama's outline would be best suited to movies. Considering Toriyama's movies seem to be better received by fans and critics alike than the anime/manga arcs, would it be a good idea to go back and readapt the first 3 Super arcs into movies so the whole series sticks to one cohesive format?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Would there be an interest at this point in adapting the U6, Zamasu and ToP arcs into movies?

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:02 pm

That sounds like an even worse idea than turning the Moro and Granolah arcs into movies. We’ve already seen each of these arcs in both anime and manga form. Why would anyone want to see them go backwards? Universe 6 in particular would make for a very uneventful movie.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Would there be an interest at this point in adapting the U6, Zamasu and ToP arcs into movies?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:38 pm

What for? Like seriously. DBS anime already got 2 movies turned into arcs. Now DBS manga got not only Super Hero prequel story, but Super Hero plot itself. Let's focus on new stories. We don't need retellings, multiple versions of the same story or even reboots like Broly. I much prefer new stories regardless of how good or bad they'd be. Let's look at all 4 recent DB movies:

-BoG - turned into DBS arc
-RoF - turned into DBS arc
-Broly - reboot of Broly, Bardock and Gogeta
-Super Hero - turned into DBS arc

Can't we get a single movie that is a new, standalone story, that isn't going to be turned into anime/manga arc and is not a reboot of already existing story?

I really enjoyed Super Hero. it's the first thing in modern DB since BoG movie i actually liked. But it worries me it's being retelled in manga instead of being a new arc.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:31 pm

The Universe 6 arc is the only one I can see working in a movie format. Perhaps the ending would be a bit anticlimactic for a film, but when you think about it, that applies to 3/4 of the Super era movies. I can’t see it satisfying ticket buying audiences though. The other two arcs have too much going on to work in the usual time constraints. The manga condenses as much as humanly possible but even that bristles in places.

I can see the logic in trying to give audiences a complete version of the story in one medium, but at this point, it would be like closing the doors after the horse has bolted. The manga skipped Freeza’s resurrection and Broly’s debut. The anime stopped at the Tournament of Power, with some added “filler” arcs. The movies skipped a huge swath of the events from both, as well as the manga exclusive arcs, so to try and catch up now would be a waste of creative energy, and a huge slog for fans to get through. Judging by the lukewarm reception to the announcement that the manga would adapt Super Hero, I can’t expect fans would be too delighted with Toei adapting three entire arcs to film, all of which having been told multiple times already.
Last edited by LoganForkHands73 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:23 pm

No. There are too many plot threads in the FT arc to fit in a movie.

- The mystery behind Goku Black and Zamasu
- Zamasu's origins and fall from grace
- The back-and-forth trips across time
- Goku meeting Zeno and the Grand Priest
- Various scenes between the protagonists and the Earthling Resistance that are meant to make you care for those helpless civilians

All these plot points can't be addressed in a movie. This story arc is too rich to be adapted in one movie in a satisfactory way.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:39 pm

IIRC, Toriyama was considering a white-haired main antagonist as far back as the writing of ROF, prompting him to make SSGSS blue-haired instead. I'm positive he was referring to Zamasu. He probably had this in mind before Super was commissioned as a TV series, so it's got me thinking about how the storyline would've played out in movie format.

I don't know the exact timeframe, but what's clear is that the idea to have Future Trunks return for an arc was a suggestion by Toriyama's editors. I believe Toriyama merged the basic plot outline of a Kaioshin turning rogue with the return of the Future timeline and, inspired by the likes of False Kamen Rider and Fake Ultraman, added an evil doppelganger of Goku into the mix for good measure. That seems to be how many of the best stories come about: writers grab several disparate ideas and weave them together into a coherent plot. Now, the Zamasu arc is far from perfect (and really not all that coherent), but on a pure plot level, it's probably the most interesting and multifaceted Super arc so far. I think that writing approach has been applied to many Super storylines since then, particularly Super Hero.

It may be extremely bare bones and truncated, but I can imagine an early draft of a "Zamasu movie" working without Trunks and possibly without Goku Black either. It would just focus on Zamasu, explore his fall from grace, and end with him attacking Earth in the present timeline rather than the alternate future. The only issue is that it would probably feel like a bland retread of ROF.

Hopefully in another decade, another interview will drop and we'll hear exactly how each Super arc was written and planned out.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:39 pm

I think that, while it would be great to get some condensed versions or manga adaptations as OVAs or something, the content is both too long, and perhaps too ill-suited to movies, to work.

I suspect if we ever get a retread or attempt at a single-medium Super, we’d just see a ground-up manga adaptation which continued on into post-ToP arcs.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:00 am

I'm always happy to see energized creators create films they're interested in making. I know for one that I definitely have a few [detailed] ideas for how to do the U6 and Zamasu material as films, so I definitely think it's possible to condense those two into arcs.

Over all, I think it would be really exciting to see a crew with a better production schedule to work with try their hand at adapting these arcs as high-quality and properly supported productions.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:58 pm

A movie about U6 could be interesting. I can see Vegeta & co' visiting planet Sadala to have a great time and then some strong criminal(s) is(are) showing up for x reason, it could be better than just this ofc, this is just a pretty basic idea, but I'm not fond of a movie about Zamasu or the ToP because there are better things to do, imo. But if they ever make a movie about Zamasu, I could see them showing us his past before he had his dark thoughts about mortals and how things escalated from there, but other than that, what else can they do? and for the ToP I don't know what they can do with it... I honestly prefer that they create brand new villains and stories, like DB Super: Super Hero.