Which villain does Goku respect the most?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Which villain does Goku respect the most?

Post by Yuji » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:55 pm

The sequel to "Which villain does Goku hate the most?" Since the consensus seemed to be he hates nobody, let's discuss who he respects the most :lol:

We can discuss both antagonists and villains, but if we include antagonists I feel the answer is clearly Vegeta, with Jiren at a close second. As for villains, Boo comes to mind as the only opponent pre-Jiren he was jealous of for his pure strength while fighting alone. I imagine he has come to respect Freeza quite a lot especially post ToP and Granolah.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Which villain does Goku respect the most?

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:51 pm

As far as antagonists go, I think he remembers Jackie Chun very fondly. If he ever found out Jackie is Roshi, then it's definitely him. One could make an argument for Goku respecting Jackie the most unknowingly since he's his master regardless of Goku knowing it.

As far as villains go, I think it's definitely Vegeta and Piccolo. After the obvious two, I'd say Majin Boo: He gave both Fat and Kid Boo a lot of praise and will even go on to train him. Other than these three, I think all rivals, from Tien to Jiren, are on a higher level than villains like Freeza and Black. Don't think he thinks highly of Granolah since all his power comes from a wish, but at least he's not a bad guy.

How does Goku feel towards Beerus? Back in BoGs he seemed a bit like Freeza or Cell, a complete scumbag Goku didn't like as a person but enjoyed fighting because it's Goku and he loves fighting anyone. But since then Goku had zero interest of a rematch and Beerus is more like an annoyed older brother than a rival. He occasionally compliments his power, but that's about it.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:55 am

In terms of who he respected the most, who also STAYED a villain (a.k.a. no Vegeta and Piccolo kind of antagonists), hard to say.

Jiren isn't a villain, so he doesn't count on that front, but Goku most definitely respects him for opening his eyes to just how far and high a mortal can reach through discipline and training.

He doesn't really respect Freeza, but he can appreciate how far Freeza can get when applying himself and likely has the most direct rivalry with him.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:14 am

I'll leave Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Mr. Buu and the androids out because they were reformed, so they have his utmost respect, trust and friendship.

Villains: Buu, he wished for his reencarnation. He's never gone that far with anybody. The closest would be going to hell to bring back Freeza for a day, agree to resurrect him, spare his life as Gogeta, and I assume he does respect how he became a martial artist and a damn good one. I'd say by now he has more in common with Freeza than with Buu.

Antagonists: Monaka, Jiren and Broly in that order.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:49 pm

Others provided good suggestions. An unreformed villain who went down with their proverbial ship has a good number of examples here. From Goku's perspective someone who he can respect while they maintain their moral depravity usually has to do with their combat ability and integrity as a fighter. I can't say that individuals like Tao, Cell, Gas or Zamasu/Goku Black really fit that mould; each for different reasons but they weren't people who seemed to stand out in Goku's mind for their respectability as fighters.

Freeza remains a loose end that is mete out suffering and carnage unabated for the time being. Goku might respect the tyrant's willingness to humble himself enough to participate in training and improve himself by leaps and bounds but Freeza still has a chequered penchant going beyond the limits of 'proper' sportsmanship when fighting. Kid Buu was a mindless force of nature who Goku admired for his strength but I'm not sure if he could be pointed to as a respectable opponent.

I might have said Ginyu but his willingness to steal other people's bodies for the purposes of acquiring their strength marks someone who otherwise seemed like an impressive fighter.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:39 pm

Honestly, Frieza.