What are some overlooked quotes or moments you enjoy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

What are some overlooked quotes or moments you enjoy?

Post by Yuji » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:18 am

As the title suggests, moments or quotes that stuck with you even though the overall fanbase doesn't mention them particularly often.

I've always liked Piccolo's line in the Saiyan arc to Gohan: "If you want to feel resentment, curse your own fate... as do I." I'm not sure if it's overlooked anymore as, much like Goku's expression after destroying Freeza in the manga, it has picked up popularity among the more hardcore fanbase in recent years, but I'd say it's still obscure enough to mention.

I also enjoy the climax of the Battle of Gods arc in the anime version of Super. Beerus pushes Goku further and further and asks him finally "Are you sure this isn't your limit?" to which Goku retorts by telling him to shut up multiple times and later proclaiming not even Gods can tell him where his limit is. This synergizes well with another line I particularly enjoy later on in the series in the Moro arc, where Goku says "Everyone has a limit" when Moro is imploding from Merus' angel powers. These two lines embody a awareness and self-reflection that, of course, even he has a limit he won't be able to break one day, but he's not willing to let anyone dictate where it is.

Continuing from the Battle of Gods arc in the anime, I dislike how Goku's character arc from the movie is absent but I also like how in turn Beerus is given a more complete arc himself. Episode 11 is one of the best written episodes of the anime series. Beerus turns into a Saitama-esque character wanting a challenge and being so bored and disappointed with his opponents that he gets progressively angry. The prophecy isn't challenging him as it was supposed to, which culminates in his frustration as he pummels Goku: I'm sleepy! Sleepy, sleepy, sleepy! So unbearably sleepy!" As he tries to push Goku's strength further and starts seeing a limit to his power, he just decided to end it, "Sorry, it seems you're not the person I was looking for." It's also worth mentioning he keeps referring to Goku as "Super Saiyan God" exclusively up to a point where Goku impresses him enough and he finally calls him by his name.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What are some overlooked quotes or moments you enjoy?

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:46 am

I like it whenever Chichi would put Gohan to study. Even in movies. Most people critize chichi but forget how hard she had it, she truly dedicaded herself to him plus cooking and taking care of the house. And she was isolated from the world and was mostly a single mother of two.

I also love it when cell creates the martial art tournament's ring. I even posted one meme about it, he is such a cool civil engineer!

https://www.deviantart.com/saiya6cit/ar ... -924168605

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:27 am

I like how Cell's perfect form first appears literally the next page after Gohan first becomes a Super Saiyan. On re-reads, this moment stands out quite a bit as all but spelling out that they're going to be fighting each other by the time the arc is over.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:22 pm

I do like the filler scenes work the orphan kids or the space nomads. Secretly kind of wished they make a little cameo at some point in the series, but of course, they never have.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:37 pm

Goku saying Buu's name sounds like a fart. It's a line that amuses me.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:39 pm

It's not one scene, but Kid Goku being completely unaware of literally everything, getting into a cab without money, just wanting to go to Bulma's house. Not caring about losing his tail or having to train all around the world without Kinton... those things just never get old.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:44 am

Piccolo Daimao killing Shenron. That was the most grandiose evil thing he did and for me, has never really been topped. He didn't just kill someone, he personally murdered the wish granting dragon god of the titular Dragon Balls.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:39 pm

I'm going to offer a a Super manga moment: Vermoud commenting that he still believes in Jiren even after Jiren's been put on the ropes and Vermoud has essentially opened up about his lone-wolf mentality being wrong (Chapter 41, shortly before the climax). Just a nice little character moment, and a kind of dynamic we rarely get in the series, where an antagonist/character in the wrong still gets the dignity of having someone be on their side. Keeps the climax a little more complex and believable than it otherwise would be.

I rarely see anyone mention that, even in discussions praising that arc or the Super manga.

There are like a million great looking panels, both in action scenes and mundane conversations, I feel like I could bring up from the original series. At one point I would have been tempted to bring up Goku's reaction to Freeza's "death" on Namek, but I feel like that's finally gotten its dues.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:28 pm

Goku still needing a confirmation from Videl that she's a girl. Even all those years later, he's still kind of an idiot.
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:39 pm It's not one scene, but Kid Goku being completely unaware of literally everything, getting into a cab without money, just wanting to go to Bulma's house. Not caring about losing his tail or having to train all around the world without Kinton... those things just never get old.
Giving that guy thousands of Zeni just for giving him the directions to Bulma's house was hilarious
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:43 pm

I really like how flippant everyone seems to be regarding the death of innocents in the Boo arc. Bulma tells Goku Boo is coming to West City? Calm down, we can wish them all back. Boo deflects a Kamehameha and blows a chunk off the Earth, killing millions? Goku doesn't even react to it even when Babidi points it out. Need to waste time for Gotenks to get ready? Piccolo tells Boo to kill everyone on Earth. Admittedly Piccolo was more reactive here but more-so because it was in vain.

It really highlights how at this point these characters are such veterans in dealing with world ending threats that murder civilians to the point they're beyond desensitized and already look to the dragon balls as the reset button.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:27 pm

Yamcha's pupils turning into nipples after seeing Bulma naked

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:04 pm

When Dabura petrifies Kuririn and Piccolo, and Goku asks worriedly if there's any way to bring them back to normal. Shin explains hopelessly that the only way is to kill Dabura, the literal tyrant of the Demon Realm. Goku just gives this evil, cocky smirk and says something like "oh good, I thought it would be something way harder". Great capstone to the chapter, whatever number it was.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:53 pm

Not a moment, but something not often talked about is how Goku doesn't care that Vegeta only calls Goku by his Saiyan name. He responds to it just fine. It's not like Tree of Might where he tells Tullece "My name's not Kakarot, it's Goku!"
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:27 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:04 pm When Dabura petrifies Kuririn and Piccolo, and Goku asks worriedly if there's any way to bring them back to normal. Shin explains hopelessly that the only way is to kill Dabura, the literal tyrant of the Demon Realm. Goku just gives this evil, cocky smirk and says something like "oh good, I thought it would be something way harder". Great capstone to the chapter, whatever number it was.
One of my favorite ending panels too. Really shows how much more cocky and cavalier Goku has gotten, in the best way. Also sets up great tension for the rest of that section, as Goku and Vegeta (with Gohan along for the ride) treat the situation with undue lightness until it’s too late.

Also pairs well with the comment above about everyone feeling more cavalier about death and destruction in the Boo arc. Part of the scope and scale of that arc feeling like it gets it completely out of hand faster than the characters can even bother to keep up with. Great final arc to the series.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:37 am

I love the moment where Goku joins in Jackie Chun's awkward dance in chapter 41.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:02 am

Cipher wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:27 pm One of my favorite ending panels too. Really shows how much more cocky and cavalier Goku has gotten, in the best way. Also sets up great tension for the rest of that section, as Goku and Vegeta (with Gohan along for the ride) treat the situation with undue lightness until it’s too late.

Also pairs well with the comment above about everyone feeling more cavalier about death and destruction in the Boo arc. Part of the scope and scale of that arc feeling like it gets it completely out of hand faster than the characters can even bother to keep up with. Great final arc to the series.
Yeah, it’s great foreshadowing for what would come next. Another memorable scene where Goku gets to act cocky and theatrical is when he teleports to Earth with the Potara in hand and gets to do a Gotenks-style finger point flourish, appropriately in front of Gotenks-absorbed Buu. Too bad for him that it’s immediately followed by the most hilarious Gohan fail since the Z-Sword breakage only a few chapters earlier.

Slightly tangential, but what you said in another thread about how the Buu arc balances the ugliness and cynicism with the beauty and goodness worth protecting in the world really got me in the feels, it perfectly summarises what the arc does well. Fat Buu’s rampage slowly decimating the population across the chapters is really horrible but it leads to best and worst of humanity being exposed. For every crazed gunman using the chaos to indulge every sadistic impulse, there’s also a loudmouthed martial arts champion using human empathy and compassion to teach an evil monster how to change his ways. And after the protagonists spend so much of the arc sparing little thought for the human casualties, it’s satisfying that the human race finally get a chance to win their own battle for once. Mr Satan may have to coerce them forward with his lies because they’re too stubborn and suspicious (understandable considering how they suffered), but the faith they have in what Mr Satan represents, an almighty saviour figure that can save them from any threat, is the most real and powerful force they have.

That reminds me of another overlooked moment from the modern series: Goku reasoning with Broly. The whole sequence is great for many reasons, but it’s interesting that Goku guilts Broly (and Paragus and Freeza by association) for trying to disrupt the peace on Earth. Even a battle-crazed Saiyan appreciates that peace is preferable to pointless war and suffering, which may reflect how Toriyama’s mentality has evolved over the years; in the Buu arc, we see the apex of Toriyama’s traditional “peace breeds weakness” pessimism in action, probably a result of how burned out he was at the time.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:14 am

Got another one for the Buu arc, this little exchange as Buu's getting his ass kicked by Vegetto:

Buu: "Damnit, damnit! T-this-"

Vegetto: "Wasn't supposed to happen, right?"

I love that Vegetto cuts him off and finishes the statement for him, as if to say "yeah, I've heard that one before"; and both Goku and Vegeta indeed would have heard this from their enemies at various points in the series (Hell, Vegeta himself has said stuff like this before). It's a brief but neat little acknowledgement that we've gone through this song and dance several times at this point, in line with the Buu arc's self-referential nature.

Speaking of which, the introduction of the Elder Kaioshin earlier in the arc and the way Toriyama uses him to take the piss out of some of the series' cliches is another great overlooked moment.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:26 am

Piccolo vs Dr. Gero (anime): When Piccolo vanishes, Gero looks at Vegeta, who actually helps and points where he vanished :lol:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:26 am

It's from the latin dub, but Gohan yells something about Nappa's mom and he replies "what did you say about my mother? she is a saint". Now with Gine, Bardock and the saiyans being less jerks, it doesn't hit as hard, but back when we thought even their puppies were evil, thinking of Nappa's mom as some kind of nice lady was awesome.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:23 pm

I like the end narration at the party at Bulma, after Buu's defeat. Goku finally arrived and the announcer talks about how everyone is happier with Goku around. I prefer that ending over the Uub ending a few eps later.