For anyone that saw 'Mystical Adventure' at Chinese theatres in 2016

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

For anyone that saw 'Mystical Adventure' at Chinese theatres in 2016

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:32 pm

An interesting, seemingly little documented oddity in Dragon Ball's theatrical history is the Chinese release of Mystical Adventure. I haven't seen any articles for this screening, but according to BoxOfficeMojo it was indeed shown in China on July 29, 2016.

Interestingly only a few months later during the release of Resurrection F it was noted as being the first time Dragon Ball was shown to Chinese fans, so I assume this release of Mystical Adventure was not even known to a large percentage of the Chinese anime community.

It has also been brought to my attention recently that much like all 153 episodes of original Dragon Ball and the first 6 Z movies, the first three Dragon Ball movies received Mandarin dubs in mainland China. Does anyone know if the mainland dub of Mystical Adventure used for this screening, or was it the Japanese version with local subtitles?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: