Who Would Have Passed Zeno's Test?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Who Would Have Passed Zeno's Test?

Post by Almighty Majin » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:30 pm

At the end of the Tournament of Power, Android 17 makes the wish to bring back all of the erased universes. It is revealed that this was a test by Zeno to see if the mortals would make the correct choice upon acquiring the wish on the Super Dragon Balls. Android 17 managed to make the selfless wish, who else do you think would have made the wish?

My personal take:

U2:
Maybe Ribrianne???

U3:
Maybe Catopesla???

U4:
N/A

U6:
Hit
Cabba

U7:
Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Piccolo
Krillin
Tien
Android 17
Maybe 18?

U9:
N/A

U10:
Obuni

U11:
Toppo (if he doesn't go GoD mode)
Kahseral

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Who Would Have Passed Zeno's Test?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:43 pm

Goku would have wish for a new strong opponent causing U7 to be erased. Vegeta would probably only wish back U6 which may or may not be selfish.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:05 am

I don't think anyone from U2, U4 or U9 would pass. From U3 and 10, maybe Katopesla (since he's a super hero) and Obuni (since he's a righteous guy) indeed.

U6, Cabba would probably only wish for U7, and I think it's enough to pass the test. The whole point of the tournament was for Zeno to erase some universes, so I don't think he wanted them all back. He just wanted a non specific good wish. It's nice to think Hit would wish at least U7 back too.

Almost everyone from U7 (sans Freeza, of course) would pass. Goku liked fighting everyone in the ToP, so those are the strong guys he'd wish for. I think it was a bit of a unspoken consensus that everyone was being brought back, but I don't remember if they were surprised by 17's wish so I could be wrong. I'm willing to give 18 the benefit of the doubt because I don't think she would wish for money. She can't be that vain.

U11, I think any Pride Trooper (sans Jiren) would wish for it. They're good guys, after all.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:01 am

Good question. I wonder if Zeno would have been lenient to another altruistic wish even if it didn't bring back every other universe?
  • Ribrianne explained that she would wish to become a Goddess of Love and was only humbled after #18 was through with her, so I doubt she would pass. The other Universe 2 warriors seemed to be completely sycophantic to her so probably would've either wished for the same thing on her behalf or for something that would only benefit their own universe. That said, I can possibly see the other Maiden Squadron and "Man Squadron" members being more altruistic when push comes to shove.
  • Universe 3 were only concerned with their own survival. Ironically, this may make them more inclined to wish for something selfless as they had nothing else to gain from winning. I agree that Katopesla would've been the one most likely to do that.
  • Universe 4, nah. Only one where I can't see any of their fighters making a selfless wish.
  • I think most of Universe 6 would've made a selfless wish, even if it was just to bring back Universe 7 above all the others. All three Saiyans, the two Namekians, Hit, maaaybe the other assorted chucklefucks (Botamo, Magetta, Dr Rota). The only one who definitely wouldn't is Frost.
  • Universe 7, goes without saying that most of our mad lads would make the right choice, barring Freeza. Though once again, some of them could have made a less all-encompassing wish, e.g. Vegeta who assures Cabba that he would resurrect Universe 6 (and we frequently see in his internal monologues that he's only concerned about protecting Cabba and his own family) but doesn't extend the same offer to anyone else.
  • I'd be most confident in Bergamo because he was concerned about the consequences of the tournament. Basil was also shown to be a decent enough guy. But because their universe is the cosmic equivalent of Detroit, they might also wish to improve the quality of their home in some way (perhaps by replacing their incompetent pantheon of gods).
  • Obuni found the erasure of other universes regrettable and was generally a nice guy so he would definitely pass. We don't know enough about the other Universe 10 fighters to gauge their moral characters.
  • Lastly, we come to Universe 11. I think they would all have the potential to make a virtuous wish, even Jiren's supposedly "selfish" wish was to restore another person dear to him, his master Gicchin (implied in the anime, confirmed in the manga). The manga also emphasises that Jiren is extremely principled and almost refused to join the Tournament of Power because he was against causing the erasure of other universes, even if it was for his own world's survival. The question is, did his interactions with Universe 7 change Jiren's mentality enough for him to save everyone else in favour of just Gicchin? In the manga (which is kinda irrelevant to bring up here because Zeno's test of character was never mentioned in that version, but whatever), Belmod assures Jiren that Gicchin wouldn't have wanted to be revived, but Jiren was in denial about this.

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:32 pm

After grabbing onto a piece of Kachi Katchin and turning into stone (headcanon ability) Roselle hid away for most of the tournament. As the other 9 warriors of Universe 9 sat nervously on the stands, wondering why they weren't erased yet, they watched as the others steadily dwindled... all the while Roselle not being in sight.

In this alternate version of events, Hit's attempt on Jiren works. Goku never gets Ultra Instinct and is eliminated by Kefla. Also Krillin isn't knocked out yet and he gets Ultra Instinct, regrowing his mustache and it turning silver. It's enough to beat everyone, but Krillin is tired at the end and forgot about Roselle and gets a foot in the butt and is knocked out. Frieza was knocked out by Frost in this version but then Frost trips on a banana peel and falls off the edge as well.

As Goku and company watch teary eyed as they are erased, Roselle looks up at his prize and his eyes beam with a sudden surge of being-nice. He makes the same wish Android 17 does and the entire multiverse reveres the cute little gargoyle as a hero.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:30 pm

Jiren might have passed Zeno's test. He could have change his wish and wish back all the universes after fighting Goku and the others. It would have been a better ending for the TOP saga with Jiren learning that Goku wasn't that bad and he decided to wish back everyone.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:44 am

It's weird to me that Zeno wanted the universes gone bad enough to wipe them from existence and all the people.

But then accepts them being bought back.

I assumed they would merge the universes so as not to contradict Zenos desire for trimming and open up future stories.

If I was in their situation I would have assumed we wouldn't be allowed to make that wish.

do you think the GP would be able to read your mind in that situation and realise "you would have restored them if you felt you could"
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.