Would 17's wish restore Zamasu's faith in mortals?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Would 17's wish restore Zamasu's faith in mortals?

Post by Yuji » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:15 am

Supposed Zamasu could stay in doubt without acting out his plans until the events of the ToP, would 17's selfless wish to restore all the universes bring him to Gowasu's side or is there a deeper character flaw that would never make him reconsider?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Would 17's wish restore Zamasu's faith in mortals?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:10 am

How many people in that tournament would have made a selfish wish, if they won? Zamasu would maybe understand that 17 was an outlier and not all mortals are selfish, but his ideals wouldn't really change that much. From his perspective, 17 would just be an outlier. Furthermore, he also had huge problems with how the entire system was laid out:

- He hated that Gods created mortals who were stronger than them;

- He hated that Supreme Kais couldn't intervene directly in mortal affairs;

- He hated that so many mortals threw away their lives in senseless wars (as per his own admission, he saw countless examples of senseless mortal wars).

Watching the ToP would probably make Zamasu very angry, actually; because not only it's just a murder fiesta, so it would just remind him of mortal violence, but it also would remind him that mortals have surpassed the Gods (he would think that the Gods failed for creating mortals like Jiren who became so strong, Jiren surpassed even his own Destroyer God). Zamasu had a huge problem with that, he couldn't understand how the Gods could end up being surpassed by their own creations. He would still feel like the Gods fundamentally failed. He would also get so mad if he saw how Kefla or Vegeta were mistreating the Gods (Kefla telling her Gods to shut up, Vegeta insulting Belmod and the Supreme Kai, etc.).

So if Zamasu saw the ToP, his mentality wouldn't change that much, but the silver lining here is that he might understand that not all mortals are failures.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:35 am

If anything, seeing all of those mortals wished back might just make him more angry. They're continuing to impede his work!

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:50 am

The dude probably won't be swayed just by a few acts of kindness or a few speeches about mankind and how they will persevere in spite of everything thrown at them.

At this rate, you'd need to have the stars align and get the kindest, most humble mortal in all of existence to even stand a chance to change Zamasu's mind, and I doubt it can happen when everyone he meets provides him the most clichéd or nothing reasons for mortals to live on.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:10 pm

That's giving his character too much benefit of the doubt, or assuming anything he does, including his espousing of his own views, is in good faith. For all his self-moralizing, he's just a sadistic egotist with a hatred of mortals in want of a reason, rather than the other way around. No act of kindness is going to shake him from out of that, because there's no real moral viewpoint there to shake.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:37 pm

I don’t think that would really make sense for his character. Zamasu is ultimately depicted as a narcissistic madman who only really cares about himself at the end of the day. He believes his goals are righteous and just, but they’re ultimately more self-serving than anything. That’s why he was perfectly willing to murder his fellow gods, just to ensure they wouldn’t get in his way.

The idea that Zamasu would be touched by #17’s wish, as if he’s just someone who’s woefully misguided, and would be willing to accept being wrong, would feel out of character.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:10 pm

Unfortunately, Zamasu is not the kind of villain who would accept redemption i.e Darth Vader turning back into Anakin Skywalker. Zamasu had a burning god complex, believing himself absolutely divine, pure, and 'clean'. In his eyes, mortals were a parasitic scourge that made the planets & universes dirty and it was not only Zamasu's desire, but his self-appointed duty to wipe every single one of them out. It went over the edge when Zamasu began openly killing other Gods as he seemed their sympathy for mortals to be blasphemous, deeming them unworthy of divinity and deserving of extinction as well. Gowasu tried his best to appeal to Zamasu's fanatical sense of justice...and he got impaled through the torso for his troubles.
I'm just not sure how and if you can get through to someone like that. He'd give Judge Claude Frollo a run for his money in the zealot department.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:51 pm

As others said, Zamasu has a fundamental flaw in his own perspective that prevents him from seeing any good of the mortals, due to his own inherent narcissism as a Kai that rose above his original station in life.

He might well see the Zenos' plan with the winning mortal's wish as an affront to what the gods should stand for, the childish whims of what he views to be children with far too much power and not enough sense.

And as for 17 himself? He'd likely think that a mortal being given such immense wish-granting power would be far too dangerous.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:26 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:51 pm And as for 17 himself? He'd likely think that a mortal being given such immense wish-granting power would be far too dangerous.
Which is objectively correct and it's a good point to bring up.

Imagine if someone like Frieza got the wish, an evil dictator. Imagine if Jiren got the wish, an unstable guy who tried to kill innocent bystanders. Imagine if Caulifla got the wish, a brat who doesn't take anything seriously. And reminder btw that 17 was originally going to squander that opportunity by wishing for a vacation trip.

It's not unreasonable to bring up the simple fact that mortals are too unstable to be given so much power, which is also why the Super Dragon Balls have a built-in defensive mechanism. Only the Gods can use them because only the Gods can summon the Dragon with Divine Language. Which is why the whole point of the ToP kind of goes against this defence system of the SDBs.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:48 pm

If anything his dumb ass would see it as proof that they just mess things up again.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:28 pm

Best not to speculate on the thoughts and emotions of a madman.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:01 am

If Zamasu had the capacity to realize he can be wrong about stuff, he probably wouldn't have become evil in the first place; because that would imply he has some degree of humbleness and empathy- and we know for a fact that he has neither (and probably never did).

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:57 am

No.
Zamasu is written like a typical psychopath (more the manga than the anime) and as such I don't see any arguments changing his mind oraking a difference.
While this is off course Dragon Ball in real life "normal" people don't exactly go on murderaus adventures just due to their beliefs that everyone is wrong. Off course DB is not real life and one may argue Zamasu just went wrong due to circumstances but I don't believe he wasn't even a bit narcistic and had sadism or psycho dreaming deep inside.
And even if that was the creator's idea, by the time Zamasu killed Gowasu it was too late. He was already trapped in his own beliefs and HAD TO grab to them.
Even if he witnessed many contrarguments, good natured mortals, great gods, he still would find a different reasoning for his actions.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:02 pm

GokuHater wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:57 am While this is off course Dragon Ball in real life "normal" people don't exactly go on murderaus adventures just due to their beliefs that everyone is wrong.
"Normal" people irl also cannot destroy a planet with a wave of one hand like Zamasu. Psychos in DBZ give into their temptations much more easily because they are literally walking nukes.
Even if he witnessed many contrarguments, good natured mortals, great gods, he still would find a different reasoning for his actions.
It's worth noting that in Heroes he teams up with a group of evil mortals to renew his plan, and in Xenoverse 2 he can actually act as a Mentor for the player character, who is a mortal.

So, outside of the Anime/Manga, we see that Zamasu can work with mortals if it benefits him somehow. And that's also why there are many fanfics where Goku Black participates in the ToP.

So, seeing intelligent mortals like 17 or the U3 robots could show him that not all mortals are useless. Ofc, showing him a planet of stupid barbarians wasn't a great idea and that's 100% on Gowasu.

But Zamasu has no problem teaming up with mortals if they can prove useful to him. Indeed, in Heroes, he teams up with Hearts (a mortal) because he thinks he's useful. He obviously warns him not to give him orders, but he also helps him and he even protects him with his Immortal body, because he thinks that this mortal can be of use to him.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:23 pm

In my opinion, Zamasu wouldn't change his perspective about humans in general. He knows that there could be exceptions, but he also has witnessed humans' constant mistakes and he also knows that as a whole they are just ruining everything, doing the same mistakes over and over again and that things will never change if he does not put an end to it. But, maybe (and I insist on "maybe"), he would spare the ones who submit to his commandments and help him in his 0 mortal plan. I think in some video game (maybe DB legends or DBFighter Z or Xenoverse 2? idk) he does say something like that about a human who helps him out, but then again, even if that was the case he would attempt to kill or betray that mortal after he accomplished his mission (see Zamasu/Hearts in the manga SDBH).

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:38 pm

"That's cyborg, and he is not mortal" would probably be Zamasu counterargument :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Wed May 03, 2023 3:12 pm

No: he'd take EVERYBODY ELSE's failing as proof Mortals are a disgusting existence that should be EXTERMINATED.

Any change to Zamasu's would have needed to happen much earlier in his life for it to take root.
By the time we met him, he was only waiting a confirmation of his bias toward mortals

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon May 08, 2023 6:00 pm

So many good explanations here and I have to agree. #17's wish wouldn't do anything to placate Zamasu's megalomania or concerns about the nature of ningen. Moreover it isn't simply taking issue with the inherently violent nature of ningen. Zamasu deems it an affront to the gods that any 'lowly' being could stand up to deities in the first place and survive. It's an unacceptable sacrilege that he feels is warranting death. You're not going to appeal to Zamasu by making one simple wish that's being conducted in the backdrop of mass universal genocide anyway with ningen being pitted against ningen.

You'd have to go back to Zamasu during his formative years under Gowasu's mentoring and expose him to the civilisations that are peaceful like the Namekians if you wanted to make an impression on him. Who knows, though? The fact they have access to a magical apparatus that can grant virtually any wish and somewhat bend the laws of the universe might incense Zamasu anyway.