Could Kuririn and the other humans live for 300 years too?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Could Kuririn and the other humans live for 300 years too?

Post by Yuji » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:35 am

It's basically been everything but confirmed that Roshi is not truly immortal. The Crane Hermit is about his age as we know, so we can assume some sufficient mastery over Ki can lengthen one's time on Earth.

With that said, could Kuririn and the other humans live to be 100+ considering their mastery over Ki at the very least should surpass the Crane Hermit?

I would mention the Saiyans too but their transformations and genetics seem to cut down on their lifespan instead.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Could Kuririn and the other humans live for 300 years too?

Post by Zephyr » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:21 am

As far as I can remember, Toriyama simply said that Saiyans have a similar lifespan as humans do. If humans can extend their lifespan through kung fu mastery, then I see no reason why a Saiyan couldn't.

That being said, yeah, I also don't see why Kuririn and the others couldn't also live to be hundreds of years old. I think it would make sense.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:37 pm

Master Roshi isn't unable to die of old age because of ki mastery. The Immortal Phoenix (right before he died from eating tainted birdseed :roll: ) granted the Turtle Hermit his long life. It could be said that something similar happened to Tenshinhan and Chaozu's former master as well. Anyone else who isn't able to die of old age, like Baba, Popo, or Korin, are deities of some kind or perhaps have a deal with Yemma or maybe even used the Dragonballs before the start of the series.

None of the Dragon Team, save Piccolo and maybe Seventeen & Eighteen, are going to be effectively immortal, unless by magic, or something else, not ki mastery.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:03 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:37 pm Master Roshi isn't unable to die of old age because of ki mastery. The Immortal Phoenix (right before he died from eating tainted birdseed :roll: ) granted the Turtle Hermit his long life. It could be said that something similar happened to Tenshinhan and Chaozu's former master as well. Anyone else who isn't able to die of old age, like Baba, Popo, or Korin, are deities of some kind or perhaps have a deal with Yemma or maybe even used the Dragonballs before the start of the series.

None of the Dragon Team, save Piccolo and maybe Seventeen & Eighteen, are going to be effectively immortal, unless by magic, or something else, not ki mastery.
Roshi himself admits he is not immortal before facing Piccolo Daimao. The immortal phoenix was just a gag. Baba is also not a deity, she is Roshi's sister and over 500 years older than him, which likely means their parents were in their hundreds or thousands too :lol:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:29 am

Yuji wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:03 am
FoolsGil wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:37 pm Master Roshi isn't unable to die of old age because of ki mastery. The Immortal Phoenix (right before he died from eating tainted birdseed :roll: ) granted the Turtle Hermit his long life. It could be said that something similar happened to Tenshinhan and Chaozu's former master as well. Anyone else who isn't able to die of old age, like Baba, Popo, or Korin, are deities of some kind or perhaps have a deal with Yemma or maybe even used the Dragonballs before the start of the series.

Roshi himself admits he is not immortal before facing Piccolo Daimao. The immortal phoenix was just a gag. Baba is also not a deity, she is Roshi's sister and over 500 years older than him, which likely means their parents were in their hundreds or thousands too :lol:
Being unable to die due to old age is a form of immortality, it's just not the best one.
The 'gag' is canon. Or are we going to start ignoring things because they don't match what the series has become?
I mentioned other reasons why Baba is long lived, including deals with Yemma.
Parents thousands of years old? ...You started this topic discussion saying ki mastery did it. We throwing things at the wall now, seeing what sticks?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:57 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:29 am

Being unable to die due to old age is a form of immortality, it's just not the best one.
The 'gag' is canon. Or are we going to start ignoring things because they don't match what the series has become?
Parents thousands of years old? ...You started this topic discussion saying ki mastery did it. We throwing things at the wall now, seeing what sticks?
How else do you explain Baba and Roshi's age difference? One is 800 years old, the other is 300. They are confirmed siblings. Whether Baba is this old due to her dealings with Enma or not, this means their parents still had to be at least over 500 years old by the time Roshi was born.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:08 am

Yuji wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:57 am
How else do you explain Baba and Roshi's age difference? One is 800 years old, the other is 300. They are confirmed siblings. Whether Baba is this old due to her dealings with Enma or not, this means their parents still had to be at least over 500 years old by the time Roshi was born.
... :think:

...Shit you got me there.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:40 pm

Maybe Roshi's parents also drank the elixir of life. Tao Pai Pai likely did too. And everyone that old. I don't think Kuririn did it. At least in GT he got old. I assume Roshi drank it as an old man and could no longer get older, like, the drink prevented his body from ageing. When he met Tsuru at the 22nd Budokai, he wondered whether he drank the elixir of life too, which means the thing related to immortality isn't a mere one off thing. Iirc it was also mentioned other instances, at least one more so besides the time he mentioned it to Tenshinhan.

While practicing martial arts help with vitality, it's not mentioned to extend their lifen span that much, as Baba wasn't a martial artist. There's a spell, supernatural thing over it.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:51 pm

While it can definitely be inferred that the Immortal Phoenix is the source of Roshi's long life, that much isn't explicitly stated.

As per Kunzait_83's Wuxia Thread, ki mastery granting long life is a common trope in fantasy kung fu fiction:
A distinctly Taoist concept (Taoist and Buddhist beliefs and philosophies making up a GIGANTIC chunk of traditional Wuxia lore) Xian are ancient, aged old masters of the martial arts in all its forms and stages: physical, mental, and especially spiritual. Xian are veteran, weathered old warriors who have mastered the mystical aspects of kung fu so thoroughly and so completely that they are no longer considered entirely human anymore, but something more evolved, something closer to the spirit realm than the physical realm.

As such, while Xian are traditionally ancient and heavily aged in physical appearance, they are generally considered ageless and quasi-immortal (living lifetimes of hundreds, if not thousands of years old), their minds and spirits so advanced that their bodies are now able to withstand a great deal of the deteriorating factors of advanced age (allowing them to move just as well as, often far better even, than a young, fit person in their physical prime).
There certainly could be other reasons, such as deals with Enma, or everyone just had a turn with the Immortal Phoenix. But the notion of ki mastery being the cause, at least of the martial arts masters' long lives, is pretty much baked into the type of story Toriyama's riffing on. While that's not explicitly mentioned as the cause, the Immortal Phoenix doing it isn't either, nor is a deal with Enma (unless I'm mistaken). Ki mastery doesn't really explain Baba's long life, but for the martial artists it's at the very least no worse an explanation than the Phoenix or Enma.
Mireya wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:40 pmMaybe Roshi's parents also drank the elixir of life. Tao Pai Pai likely did too. And everyone that old. I don't think Kuririn did it. At least in GT he got old. I assume Roshi drank it as an old man and could no longer get older, like, the drink prevented his body from ageing. When he met Tsuru at the 22nd Budokai, he wondered whether he drank the elixir of life too, which means the thing related to immortality isn't a mere one off thing. Iirc it was also mentioned other instances, at least one more so besides the time he mentioned it to Tenshinhan.
I just double checked Viz's translation of the manga. When the Crane Hermit is introduced, Roshi says that he's surprised he's still alive, but no mention is made of the Elixir of Immortality. Roshi does mention the Elixir to Tenshinhan, saying that he can't die because of it. Then he knocks Tenshinhan out, and says that he lied about the Elixir. I suppose it can be read as "I lied that the Elixir would prevent me from dying", but I read it as him lying about its very existence.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:43 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:08 am
Yuji wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:57 am

... :think:

...Shit you got me there.
There's a similar problem with Taopaipai and Crane Hermit. Tao possesses the looks and body of a younger man, but age-wise he shouldn't be far off from Roshi and Shen's age.

I chalk it up to the longevity of ki users, but Toriyama-san has muddied up the waters with his explanations of Roshi's longevity and lack of explanations for his closest rivals and family.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MajinPopo

Post by MajinPopo » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:12 pm

We don't know anything about the history of Baba and Roshi, aside from their ages which calls into question the age of their parents.

However, we do know that Baba has some magical abilities. We have to ask, were these gained later in life, or was she born innately magical? She has a strange focus on the dead, witchcraft AND martial arts meaning that at the very least Martial Arts is a shared passion between Roshi and Baba, so could it be argued that there's the potential for other shared interests and qualities?

What I mean is, assuming the magical ability was a quality Baba was born with, could Roshi have been born with similar magical abilities?

Or was Roshi specifically born without the black magical ability Baba was, hence his desire to become a Martial Artist to use life force (ki) as opposed to Baba's method of "death force"? Could this lack of magical ability be why he was so reliant on magical artifacts like the Kinto'un and the little Gamera thing?

Or is it just a case that Roshi was born with both magical ability and a fairly developed ki sense for a human, and that the biggest pitfalls he faced in developing either skill were laziness and lust?

Indeed, once he tried to actively focus and manage his vices like laziness lust, he pretty much developed something close to Ultra Instinct.

What this says about the lifespan, I don't know.

Ideally I wish Kuririn would retrain with Roshi and delve further into the mystical aspect. I liked the weird Ghost Forest training he put Goku and Kuririn through. Conversely I would like Yurin from Super to become an acolyte of Baba's, since she clearly has more of an affinity for witchcraft than martial arts, and I don't think Tenshinhan's school fits her.

But now I'm getting sidetracked...

SonTao

Post by SonTao » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:40 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:35 am It's basically been everything but confirmed that Roshi is not truly immortal. The Crane Hermit is about his age as we know, so we can assume some sufficient mastery over Ki can lengthen one's time on Earth.

With that said, could Kuririn and the other humans live to be 100+ considering their mastery over Ki at the very least should surpass the Crane Hermit?

I would mention the Saiyans too but their transformations and genetics seem to cut down on their lifespan instead.
As updated in DBS, we can assume Crane Hermit also fed on the Paradise Herb to keep his faux immortality. If we want to stick with the original Dragon Ball + Dragon Ball Z "explanation" we could assume the Phoenix granted Roshi and Crane their eternal life. That being said, depending on the version of immortality we're looking at, we have two answers.

One: Yes, so long as the person in question consumes the Paradise Herb every 1,000 years, we can assume the Earthlings would live on until the Paradise herb eventually died out.
Two: No, since the Phoenix that granted Roshi (and possibly Crane) their longer life spans died out in the Dragon Ball era.
Gohan is a neeeeerd.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Wed May 17, 2023 5:24 pm

I feel this is misinterpreted, we have to consider the context of the Tenshinhan conversation, it happens during the moment where the plan to get the Dragon Balls to wish for Piccolo's disappereance fails, as Piccolo swallowed the Dragon Balls in his possession, so there's no choice but to fight, but Roshi doesn't want Tenshinhan to fight, he wants to face Piccolo alone to not rist Tenshinhan's life, and to convince him, he tells him he doesn't have to worry as he is immortal:

However, Tenshinhan is not convinced so Roshi puts him to sleep and goes "well, actually, i can die"
Basically confirming us that his statement of not being able to die in this fight because of the elixir was just a lie to be able to face Piccolo on his own.

This is to inform the audience of the fact that, yes, Roshi may die against Piccolo (which he does), and in-universe, it is probably to prepare Tenshinhan for the sacrifice he's willing to make (he plans to use the Mafuba to defeat Piccolo).

This establishes that he can get killed, but it doesn't outright contradict the other instance of him being called "Immortal", in chapter 13:
Roshi tries to argue that asking for Bulma's... favors, is justified because he's an old man and is about to die anyway, Umigame says that's not true because of the life elixir that made him "immortal", and it's clearly presented in a way that makes clear Umigame is in the right, Roshi won't die of old age so his excuse isn't even valid, this directly confirms that he is immortal of natural causes, because this is the type of death Roshi alludes to (as he is talking about his advanced age) not getting killed, as that can happen independently from how old one is, if he wasn't actually immortal of natural causes he would have said so here, yet he is left without answer.

So from the two sources we can paint a clear picture that 1. Roshi can get killed, but 2. Roshi will never die of old age.

The earlier statement is not contradicted by the later statement, that he is "immortal" in this scenario (potentially dying of old age) but isn't "immortal" in a fight (can't die against the opponent) aren't mutually exclusive, as it just specifies what type of immortality he has.

The usual retort to the elixir thing is "well this is a gag", it is something DB fans use a lot in many scenarios and honestly it doesn't make any sense, just because a scene is a gag doesn't mean it didin't happen or that everything said is non-canon, all it means is that it is presented in a way that's funny, but the statements are canon and should be taken into consideration, they can't be discarded just because the scene is a gag, only when the gag is specifically outside the story.

There's a difference between a dialogue gag and a "breaking the 4th wall" gag such as Goku hitting the pannel of the manga during the Yamcha fight, or Arale using "gag logic" during her fight with Vegeta in Super, or Krilling adressing Toriyama's laziness (lol), both types of gags are comedic, yes, but one is meant to be taken as something that actually happens in the story while the other is meant as purposefully breaking the immersion of said story, nothing is broken by the comedic exchanges between Roshi and Umigame, so i don't see why they should be discounted, and in fact Arale breaking the rules of physics is canon, so even physical gags are considered canon for the most part.

Heck, we have gags such as Goku flying with his tail, Krillin defeating bacterian due to his lack of nose, or Jackie Chun transforming Man-Wolf using Krillin's bald head as the "moon", they're all canon, they all happened, and they are way more nonsensical than the banter between Roshi and Umigame, in fact that Roshi tries to use the elixir as an excuse during the Piccolo encounter, a serious scene, is even more proof that said gag scene is canon.

Speaking of gags, we don't know if the Immortal Phoenix is related to this life elixir that made Roshi live centuries, but if it is, it would be consistent with Roshi's type of immortality, as we know the Immortal Phoenix died from poisoning:

If this bird can grant people immortality, and is "immortal" itself, but can get killed, then it stands to reason any person that was granted this type of immortality by it could still die from unnatural causes.

Small correction btw: Uranai Baba is 200 years older than Roshi, not 500, Roshi is 300 years old, and Baba is 500 years old, you may have confused her with Karin, who is 800.