Potential Future Arcs

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Potential Future Arcs

Post by Almighty Majin » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:00 pm

After the the Super Hero stuff gets covered, what other ideas for future arcs might be explored?

We have:
1. Black Freeza, which seems like it might end up being the next arc, or maybe it will be sometime later down the line.

2. Planet Sadala is still something that needs to be explored. They could bring Broly who could have trouble with controlling his power and have him meet Kale who had similar issues for some pointers. Maybe some U6 threat could rise up and make the U6 Saiyans and Hit relevant again.

3. Maybe U11 could be explored and they deal with that demon that killed Jiren's loved ones.

4. Perhaps they expand upon end of Z and they show us Goku and Uub's training along with some other stuff.

5. Another tournament between the universes maybe with the 4 exempt universes this time.

6. Bringing back movie villains and giving them the Broly treatment?
Examples:
- Garlic Jr. getting revenge on Beerus instead of Kami
- Dr. Wheelo and Bio-Broly
- Turles being some lost ancient Saiyan found by space pirates
- Lord Slug being an ancient evil Namekian sealed away on planet Slug
- Cooler being occupied with ruling the Freeza home world and using the Big Gete Star
- Carmine taking battle data from the events of Super Hero and finding a Dr. Gero supercomputer that completes Androids 13, 14, and 15
- Bojack and his Galaxy Warriors having been sealed away by Beerus for being too troublesome
- Other World Tournament + Janemba
- Wrath of the Dragon Super-era reboot

7. Maybe giving some other characters the Super Hero treatment?
Examples:
- Goten and Trunks vs New Evil Buu
- Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha vs Amped Cyborg Tao
- Android 17 and Android 18 vs Poacher Organization (something similar to RR Army, but not quite)

What do you think?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Potential Future Arcs

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:43 pm

#17's wish having accidentally brought back Universes 13-18 (and who knows why they were erased/if some sort of threat was lurking in them; maybe Zeno was justified and time had just distorted the tale) is very much still on the table.

I'd love to break away from the normal cast make up and have Goku, Freeza, Broly, Pan (and Oob?) + some guests do a little multiversal road-tripping while Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo and others hold down the fort on Earth.

I don't think we'll get another arc with Freeza as a straight-forward main antagonist.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:21 am

Goku and Vegeta explore the depths of Hell by visiting their former enemies' prisons to face Akkuman who's been training with every villain sent there. He has closed the gates of reincarnation and therefore stopped the cycle to repopulate the universe with new beings. His goal is to make Hell an exotic location based on the torture that was set for each prisoner. Their power is to manipulate the setting against Goku and Vegeta who have to avoid falling into the trap of being reincarnated.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:17 pm

1. Black Freeza Arc - Black Freeza arrives to face Goku/Vegeta/Gohan/Piccolo. Broly's allegiance is in question, Freeza wants to win him over but he ultimately sides with Goku because this new Broly is actually a good dude.

2. Universe 6 Saiyan Arc - The gang travels to U6 Planet Sadala to train the new Saiyans and fight a powerful new foe.

3. Cooler/Freeza War Arc - We've never seen Freeza and Cooler alive at the same time. Wouldn't it be awesome if Cooler and Freeza had some kind of turf war, and the Z fighters get caught up in it?

4. A Budokai Tenkaichi - It's been a while since we've seen one! Either the rest of the one Goku/Uub abandoned or a new one set a year or two later.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:50 pm

I've sort of given up on them going up to and beyond the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai. Toriyama started with BoGs because he felt Goku was passing down the mantle to Oob, but he's not comfortable writting Dragon Ball without Goku. I think Super Hero was testing the waters for other protagonists

A new Freeza Saga is definitely going to happen. They can't just keep him around forever, although they might save him for later as the final boss of the series. I really hope there's something with U6 and Planet Sadla, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a throwaway line from the U6 Saga that Toriyama forgot. Vegeta's promise to visit U6 is mentioned a lot in the anime, but in the manga Vegeta and Cabba barely interact in the ToP.

I think they're bound to do something with U6 and U11 sooner or later, specially U11. Super Hero just hyped Jiren up as a benchmark, and what major antagonist has Goku not had a rematch with? Besides Cell, but Goku nor Toriyama really cared about Cell.
Cipher wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:43 pm #17's wish having accidentally brought back Universes 13-18 (and who knows why they were erased/if some sort of threat was lurking in them; maybe Zeno was justified and time had just distorted the tale) is very much still on the table.

I'd love to break away from the normal cast make up and have Goku, Freeza, Broly, Pan (and Oob?) + some guests do a little multiversal road-tripping while Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo and others hold down the fort on Earth.

I don't think we'll get another arc with Freeza as a straight-forward main antagonist.
I read a Doujinshi once with really nice art that picks from where the anime left and deals with the first idea, called Dragon Ball Kakumei. I think it's still going. They make some pretty interesting decisions like writting Goku off (He's too OP) and how they handle Freeza and focus on everyone training in different universes for a multiversal war. Vegeta and Broly go to U6 of course, so there are at least two other plotlines Super hasn't picked up yet. Apparently this universe 13-18 stuff was a popular theory back when the ToP ended.

I've been expecting the multiversal road trip ever since Battle of Gods came out 10 years ago, but in hindsight it's probably to close to GT, specially if they bring Pan... But Toriyama probably doesn't even know the plot of GT, so unless the executives have veto power over him it's still possible.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:34 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:50 pm But Toriyama probably doesn't even know the plot of GT, so unless the executives have veto power over him it's still possible.
Well, Toriyama did watch GT since he mentioned that in the DVD Box, but we know his memory is short lived and that was a long while ago :lol:

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:48 pm

I think given how overused "multiverse" concepts are these days, Toriyama will avoid returning to that idea.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon May 29, 2023 5:19 pm

Black Frieza is obviously something you have to manage.
So an arc about is quite mandatory.
There's too much meat to chew for omniversal arcs. Or at least I hope they doens't embark again in "the most dangerous really I promise the very strongest being in the universe this time - no wait, another is the stronger or the plot doesn't proceed - oh no wait, one is stronger than the strongest sorry we forgot" shit.

SUPER have to come to an end, it can't be infinite. And who knows, maybe is *already* ended. At the end of this manga arc... "THE END!"
...and Black Frieza will be staged past EoZ "whatever the tag" series. So you have Uub vs Black Frieza like Goku vs Frieza for the *next* generation of 8 years old kids that are popping out right now in nurseries.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 pm

I don’t think there’s much left they could feasibly do with the multiverse. World building has never really been Dragon Ball’s strength, so I don’t see how they’d be able to center an entire arc around a specific universe and make it interesting. The closest we got to that was Universe 10 in the Future Trunks arc. They definitely should not do another tournament either. We already had two of those in DBS, and the second one already took the premise far enough.

I guess since they insisted on introducing Black Freeza, they’re going to have to do something with that, but the idea of them fighting Freeza again sounds really boring to me. Is that really what people want?

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon May 29, 2023 9:23 pm

I don't understand the fixation some of you have on the Planet Salada Arc, for me it was just a throw away line, never expected anything to come from it, considering we didnt even explore other universes by now, and that was the major revelation of Battle Of Gods, you guys really expect Toriyama to care about that line or even remember it? he probably doesn't even remember the universe 6 saiyans Planet name by now.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, I'm just saying because it's like you are probably going to keep getting disappointed if you keep expecting it, the only way I see it happen its if it becomes so much of a fan request/talk that someone brings it up to Toriyama and then he decides to make it happen but even that seems like a long shot.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue May 30, 2023 10:39 pm

Black Freeza seems like an obvious choice for the next arc, and I think it could be the longest, most complicated Dragon Ball arc we've ever seen since Freeza now has his sights set on Zeno, the multiverse, and the Super Dragon Balls.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 30, 2023 11:39 pm

I want to see more besides Goku and Vegeta going to U6. Universe 2 has two beings that also exist in U7. My theory is that the Tsufruians are originally from Universe 2 and created a portal (similar to what you see in Stargate) and most of them moved to Planet Plant in U7. The same could be said for the Yardrats in Universe 2 could have found a way to the Shunkan Idō by going into other universes. Goku could learn multiversal Shunkan Idō and travel to other worlds without Beerus and Whis.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:39 am

Oh, the possibilities for new arcs are almost limitless; Dragon Ball has always been a rich world with countless lore tidbits and an awesome creative force behind it (at least until the 2000s); there are many potential ideas, but the team in charge right now (yes, including Toriyama, I'd say especially him) is not competent enough (or maybe not willing to be) to make high quality, orignal content, so we are forced to swallow more Cell, more Broly, more Frieza, more of the same character dynamics, no advancement of timeline, barely any new cast members, nonsensical retconned stuff for no reason, etc...

This are ideas for future arcs and maybe future series overall, off the top of my head right now:

-More professional assassins (Hit might the top or one of the best, but not necessarily the only one). They could even make a "John Wick" story (now that it's being a hit, pun not intended), where maybe someone really powerful puts a high price on Goku's head and chaos ensues across the multiverse.

-A new powerful alien race appears that wants to conquer the whole multiverse, they could be humanoid with very particular abilities (a whole empire like Freeza' s but on a much bigger scale, which gives the opportunity to not only introduce a bunch of new rosters of characters and visit other universes, but also to add Black Frieza to the mix in a sort of galactic empire confrontation, and make z fighters choose wether to help him against the bigger enemy, or side with neither); or they could be monstrous in appearance, sort of like a plague (perhaps with a Queen or Mother of sorts? Or an organization, there must a brain behind the brawn), I'm convinced Dragon Ball can portray monstrous characters as powerful foes (Hirudegarn was basically this, but plz no rehash of Hirudegarn).

-Expand the Other World (or make other dimensions): Where did Fangs the Vampire and Bandages came from specifically? What if they are innocent, childish progeny or creations of a really malevolent entity, like a Dracula or a Nightmarish being (This could tie in neatly with original Dragon Ball, without feeling like a rehash)?
And before you point out that we have the makaioshins and the demons etc, yeah, I agree, we know a bit about the other world, heaven, hell, demons are covered a bit in Heroes, seeing Jiren's nemesis is a given...but the Other World has always been portrayed in a really mysterious way, and the way I feel it, there's room for more discovery. To make an analogy, just like the physical dimension was expanded with the introduction of the multiverse, this would be the equivalent for the Other World.

-A foe that can attack in their dreams, so the z fighters would have to fight him or her in a dreamlike state, and in the dream, he or she has control, but if you die in the dream, you die for real.

-Sea enemies, could be interesting to see the Z fighters react to these new conditions; we only got Arqua so far that I remember, and he was a bit lacklustre. This could tie in with any other arc.

-Launch has 2 twins, one good and one evil, and the good one joins the z fighters (so a new much needed addition to the cast) while the evil one gets to be the villain of the arc (also Dragon Ball is in need of serious, powerful, evil female villains), of course they would both get brutal power ups somehow (the mcguffin is not important).

-Rebrand the new series, don't make Super 2.0 but something named differently to wash away the bad taste; make it more raw, real, more blood splatters, injuries, have the balls to kill someone for at least a few arcs, more adult battles, you don't have to make it like Berserk to make it more raw and enjoyable for people of all ages, a balance can be achieved.

I don't know, the way I feel it, if I could come up with a couple of different ideas, a team of profesional writers should also be able to. Looks like Toei and Toriyama are comfortable with Dragon ball's status quo right now, and feel there's no need to change it (there's also probably a bit of lack of inspiration or creativeness factoring in, sure, but that can't be all). They are clearly more comfortable rehashing old characters and ideas (that they know are going to sell) than adding new ones (or at least shaking the cast up a bit). I mean, I get it, they don't wanna do a Boruto, no new generation of characters, fine, but at least shake something up, for Kami's sake.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:01 am

I think that before Super ends they will explore the following:

- Vegeta (and maybe Goku and Broly too) going to Sadala, either in a dedicated arc or as part of one
- The Demon from Universe 11 who killed Jiren’s parents and his master / Demons in general, potentially connected to Gohan’s new Beast form
- The missing universes from the Tournament of Power
- Black Freeza trying to overthrow the Gods

All these could potentially happen in a single arc.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:00 am

anubisj wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:39 am I mean, I get it, they don't wanna do a Boruto, no new generation of characters, fine, but at least shake something up, for Kami's sake.
Really? We just had a focus on Goten and Trunks, then Pan in SH, which makes it possible that Bra may get some relevance next. Seems like they're building up to that for me.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:40 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:00 am
anubisj wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:39 am I mean, I get it, they don't wanna do a Boruto, no new generation of characters, fine, but at least shake something up, for Kami's sake.
Really? We just had a focus on Goten and Trunks, then Pan in SH, which makes it possible that Bra may get some relevance next. Seems like they're building up to that for me.
It looks like Bra isn't a fighter, but instead great at technology like her mum and grandparents. Funny enough DBS Manga Bra is way better than GT Bra who has no good quality at all.
Being good at technology is a great skill, just look at Dr Hedo and his androids. They are SSB tier.

I like how DBS Manga Goten and Trunks were written, I like their whole super hero idea. Although it would be good if they train with a good master.
Pan is getting trained by Piccolo, who is a great master to have.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:45 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:40 pm Funny enough DBS Manga Bra is way better than GT Bra who has no good quality at all.
Just because she wasn't focused on doesn't mean she didn't have any good quality. Maybe she was just a good girl living a normal life, you know?

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:53 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:45 pm
super michael wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:40 pm Funny enough DBS Manga Bra is way better than GT Bra who has no good quality at all.
Just because she wasn't focused on doesn't mean she didn't have any good quality. Maybe she was just a good girl living a normal life, you know?
She only showed her bad side, we never got to see her good side at all.
She isn't strong or smart at all.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:09 pm

I want Zamasu/Goku Black to return lol.

SDBH had some good ideas like Goku Black traveling different timelines to fight Goku and perfect his body.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:34 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:09 pm I want Zamasu/Goku Black to return lol.

SDBH had some good ideas like Goku Black traveling different timelines to fight Goku and perfect his body.
Toriyama will never bring them back. While Black and Zamasu were easily the best villains to come out of Super, they were a headache for the writers to deal with. They were made too strong; Goku Black with Saiyan hax, no different from the MC, and Zamasu who was literally invincible and unbeatable. The writers (Toriyama/Toei) pretty much wrote themselves into a corner by making two villains who basically had no weakness.

How would a restored Zamasu even be defeated? He cannot be destroyed because he is Immortal, and he cannot be sealed because he will remember the Mafuba and will pay more attention to sealing techniques. You would have to rehash the Zeno ending pretty much.

So, while I understand your desire to see them return (they were easily the best villains of Super), unfortunately an entire timeline was sacrificed to defeat them, because they were so hard to deal with for the writers and the protagonists (Saiyan hax + immortality was way too OP for a villain).

They came back in Heroes because Heroes is silly secondary storyline where people come and go with no logic put into it.