Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 92 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 92 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:00 am

Toyotaro fell prey to one of my least-favorite modern DB tropes, in having Piccolo lose limbs like he's made of paper, just because he's the only one who happens to be able to grow them back. Up to now, that one had been reserved for Toei.

That aside, it's a fun chapter, and one that packs in quite a lot. I'm sure I'd be thrilled to know where this was going had I not seen the movie, but it is what it is on that front. It'll be nice to have this here on reread, but it can't help but buckle a little under the pressure of being such a close adaptation to a film that nearly all readers have already seen, and stretched over the course of several months of real-time serialization.

I think the gag with the holographic sound-effects could have been kept, but I understand why it was cut.

Looking forward to seeing what if any added context appears around the Broly scenes next chapter.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:36 am

Toyotarou's character bias is so blatantly obvious sometimes :lol:

Krillin gets wrecked by a robot wasp meanwhile Piccolo puts up a better fight against Gamma 2 than he did in the movie.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:32 am

The Monkey King wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:36 am Toyotarou's character bias is so blatantly obvious sometimes :lol:

Krillin gets wrecked by a robot wasp meanwhile Piccolo puts up a better fight against Gamma 2 than he did in the movie.
to be fair: Krillin wasnt even part in the movie, so Toyotarou gave him more to do, wich is positive, right?
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:08 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:36 am Toyotarou's character bias is so blatantly obvious sometimes :lol:

The only thing that's been made clear to me over the years is that Toyotaro absolutely loves whatever character gets to do something cool one month, and absolutely hates whoever doesn't.

We're two months out from Kuririn saving Goten and Trunks and going to town on an android that had them pinned, and how many from Piccolo's roles in the U6 arc or the ToP?

Toyotaro either hates Vegeta or loves Vegeta; it all depends on how much ass Vegeta is kicking, or how much he has had his kicked, in an individual chapter.

You can't win with fans trying to read into every little thing to figure out who your favorite toys are, even when you're just trying to tell a story with different cast members month to month.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:43 am

Cipher wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:08 pm

We're two months out from Kuririn saving Goten and Trunks and going to town on an android that had them pinned
Wow that waste of space filler arc was so boring I already forgot it happened, my bad.
You can't win with fans trying to read into every little thing to figure out who your favorite toys are, even when you're just trying to tell a story with different cast members month to month.

No my issue with Toyotarou is more to do with his painfully mediocre artwork along with his inability to tell satisfying stories.
jjbgood wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:32 am to be fair: Krillin wasnt even part in the movie, so Toyotarou gave him more to do, wich is positive, right?
I'd take receiving nothing over receiving trash.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:34 am

jjbgood wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:32 am to be fair: Krillin wasnt even part in the movie, so Toyotarou gave him more to do, wich is positive, right?
Huh? Krillin fought Cell Max and didn't do that bad at all, damaging him a bit with Kienzan.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:59 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:34 am
Huh? Krillin fought Cell Max and didn't do that bad at all, damaging him a bit with Kienzan.
i meant he wasnt part of the movie in that scene.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:43 am

I won't hide it, currently the manga is very boring and I have no hype in reading the next chapters. Everything is exactly like the movie and I didn't feel the need to (I don't count the krillin gag that I would have gladly avoided). Don't get me wrong, I liked the film, however, a promotional manga chapter and summary of the most important events would have been enough for me. At this point, I hope they elaborate a lot on the fight between Goku and Broly and other interesting parts of the movie, otherwise it doesn't make sense.
In any case, they have to speed up as much as possible and start from scratch in post eoz, giving space to all characters (Goten, Trunks, Uub etc).
I hope they finish with the current arc in August, so they can show something new.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:43 pm

Gt91 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:43 am . Everything is exactly like the movie and I didn't feel the need to (I don't count the krillin gag that I would have gladly avoided).
A lot if similar but there's more than just that that is different.