Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 92 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 92 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:08 pm

I've seen some screenshots here and there, and this chapter is going to include the Goku vs Broly fight that got cut from the movie. That's good news. Toyotaro forgets to draw the big scar in Broly's face though, even in close ups of his face :lol:

The plot goes at least as far as the scene when Piccolo goes to Karin's Tower, since that's the latest page I saw. I guess next month's chapter will start with either Piccolo's wish (If it's not in this one already) or the RRA Raid, and end with Cell MAX's awakening.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:15 pm

I'm still sticking to the theory that Broly is going to become a villain, or an anti-villain in a way. I don't see any other character development for this character that would make sense.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:51 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:08 pm I've seen some screenshots here and there, and this chapter is going to include the Goku vs Broly fight that got cut from the movie. That's good news. Toyotaro forgets to draw the big scar in Broly's face though, even in close ups of his face :lol:

The plot goes at least as far as the scene when Piccolo goes to Karin's Tower, since that's the latest page I saw. I guess next month's chapter will start with either Piccolo's wish (If it's not in this one already) or the RRA Raid, and end with Cell MAX's awakening.
Piccolo's wish happens after the Beerus' planet stuff. Next chapter will start with the rest of Goku vs Broly, then Goku vs Vegeta, then the Piccolo wish.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:50 am

Decent chapter, I saw the movie in JP with Portuguese subtitles so maybe it did include it, but I feel like the manga was unique in explaining why 17 and 18 weren't summoned to fight, that the RRA knows how to shut them down.

It was nice to see Goku spar with Broly and train him, that was cute. It's nice to see teacher Goku.

The scene with Piccolo asking to go to the room made more sense, he wasn't out of place he was allowed to be swapped in.
Yajirobe getting the helmet stuck on his fat head was funny too haha.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:01 pm

Yeah. This thread is probably gonna have to be closed because there's absolutely nothing here to discuss. This is pretty much just the Super Hero movie adapted into manga form. Except now we have to wait a month for each chapter. I just don't understand what's going on with this franchise. Say what you want about the Granola arc--Black Freeza was fucking cool. It was grand re-introduction for a fan favorite character and gave the series some much needed momentu....that they promptly threw away for an adaptation for a movie released months ago. None of this makes sense.

I guess to keep things on subject: I think this is the first time we've officially seen Broly in the Super manga. I guess that's cool. Will he do anything besides be fan service fodder for people who just want to see UI Goku take on Broly? Probably not. Never have I seen a comic go out of its way to ensure that nothing particularly interesting happens.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:10 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:01 pm Yeah. This thread is probably gonna have to be closed because there's absolutely nothing here to discuss.
Why on Earth would we close a thread just because of a completely theoretical scenario where no-one's discussing something...? It just... doesn't get replies at that point, and that's that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:38 pm

I also have no idea what's going on with this franchise.
Half of this chapter was about Piccolo and Gamma fighting, that lasted a little over 60 seconds in the movie, I know it's not the same for a manga, but for Kami's sake, compare this with how fast the BoG fight went in the manga.
This movie retelling is moving at a slower pace than the anime retellings, we are getting closer to the one year mark of the introduction of Black Freeza, and they are still taking their time to retell a movie everybody has already seen, after a prequel of the movie, instead of just heading into new territory.
It'd make sense if the prequel and the retelling were done by some other artist or something while Toyo works on the new stuff, but it's Toyo doing it, so the new material is probably still unready, because he's being kept busy doing this, even if it's just copy&paste.

However, I will celebrate having Goku and Broly training together, the cliffhanger of Goku saying he'll amp it up a notch probably will be just a tease and Whis will intervene before anything cool, that wasn't in the movie, happens.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:47 pm

At this point I'm reading to see how different (or the same) the Goku dismissing meditation scene is gonna be

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:46 pm
Miracles wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:06 pm
sangofe wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:41 am

More like an alternate full version.
Yes. My point is why are we doing this again? The movie is out.
Just stalling for time until Toriyama/Toyotaro iron out the finer details of the next arc.
Between the retelling of this movie, and the already hiatus they took for 3 months, they certainly are taking their time.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:01 pm

My cute lil' husband calling Gokuu by his chosen name, what a good little pogchamp. I hope the story continues to flesh out Broli as a character and we get to see Shimada Bin play these emotions. I still want an extended version of the Broli film, I'm super curious about getting more insight into Broli's character and goals.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:14 pm

Nothing much to say. Next chapter should gives us Gohan vs Gamma 1.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:14 pm Nothing much to say. Next chapter should gives us Gohan vs Gamma 1.
Highly doubt that. We still have all the Planet Beerus stuff to get past with Goku vs Vegeta happening. Then Piccolo making his wish, then bringing Pan into the base to do the fake kidnapping, THEN tricking Gohan. That will be at least 2 chapters worth before we get to the final fights.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:14 am

About time Broly makes an official appearance in the manga. Took them long enough.

Is it just me, or does Toyotaro struggle to draw the Gammas? Something looks off about them. I can’t put my finger on what’s wrong exactly.

But yeah, this retelling stinks so far. Like, at least change up the panelling from the film. The manga just feels like it’s on autopilot right now.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:44 am

Well i do like the retelling. Of course for now its not something new, but some day, when i want to read that manga again, i can read the whole story without gaps (at least now, not counting Resurrection F and Broly), wich is definetly better for the product as a whole.
i do get the dissapointment of everyone who wants new storys, tho. but this will not be long. i think 3-4 more chapters and its over.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

AndLad92

Post by AndLad92 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:17 am

jjbgood wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:44 am Well i do like the retelling. Of course for now its not something new, but some day, when i want to read that manga again, i can read the whole story without gaps (at least now, not counting Resurrection F and Broly), wich is definetly better for the product as a whole.
i do get the dissapointment of everyone who wants new storys, tho. but this will not be long. i think 3-4 more chapters and its over.
Totally agree. Of course it feels like a drag to read a story now, that we know well because the movie just recently has been released, but I love that I'm able to read this story in its entirety later on. I wish they would have done the same with the RoF and Broly movies too.
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:22 am

I wish they would have just summarized what happened in the movie, this is taking longer to finish than I was expecting. I feel like we're not gonna get a new story until the end of 2023.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:15 am

TobyS wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:50 am Decent chapter, I saw the movie in JP with Portuguese subtitles so maybe it did include it, but I feel like the manga was unique in explaining why 17 and 18 weren't summoned to fight, that the RRA knows how to shut them down.
Haven’t read the chapter yet (about to), but this was in the movie!

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:20 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:14 am Is it just me, or does Toyotaro struggle to draw the Gammas? Something looks off about them. I can’t put my finger on what’s wrong exactly.
I think he's just not used to drawing them that often. It's just like how early DBS art was considerably different and the character designs changed over time as Toyo gets used to drawing them.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:42 am

So when I hear the as strong as Goku and Vegeta line, I just hear these androids are two jobbers who would easily be surpassed with one day of serious training for Piccolo or Gohan.

It doesn't make me think WOW as strong as those powerhouses? How will they ever get out of this without the saiyans?

But I guess thats what Toyotaro wants us to think? It's a strange thing to expect from the audience after portraying Goku and Vegeta fighting so poorly in the last arc. Vegeta especially.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:13 am

There's something amusingly meta about seeing Gamma 2's onomatopoeia in a comic. As a result, I'm glad that the movie's indicators of those effects being visible holograms were excluded entirely.

Where this chapter falters, however, is the amount of time spent on Piccolo vs. Gamma 2. That's supposed to be a one-sided skirmish that lasts no longer than a few seconds, but the manga doesn't depict it that way at all, and it feels at odds with Piccolo's dialogue about the Gammas' power just twenty pages later.

But that's a regular issue I have with Toyotaro's recent work; he allocates too much of his focus to "cool" choreography even if it's at the expense of the narrative. Sometimes, less is more.

No strong feelings about Goku and Broly. It's cool that the manga is willing to include cut scenes from the film, but as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing you can add to the scenes on Beerus's planet to make that sequence better. Readers that never watched the movie might even get the impression the Saiyans are going to play a bigger role than they actually do.

Chapter isn't bad, though it's a bit inferior to the movie here.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):