Is Post EoZ Content "Forbidden" Because of GT &/or EoZ serving as Toriyama's official epilogue?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Post EoZ Content "Forbidden" Because of GT &/or EoZ serving as Toriyama's official epilogue?

Post by Shinsa » Mon May 08, 2023 12:15 pm

TheMikado wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:55 am
Shinsa wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:28 pm I thought it was widely known that GT is non canon/side story/different timeline?

Also with Super creating a bunch of inconsistencies I was also under the assumption that the EoZ was going to be retconned. DB as a whole is super inconsistent (no pun intended) So I assumed there was always different continuities.

For example
1.Original canon DB/DBZ
2.DB/DBZ/GT
3.DB/DBZ/Super with the assumption that EOZ will be retconned since Super creates inconsistencies.
4....the other timelines from the games that I'm no familiar with.

I don't think Toriyama puts much thought into it so for me I have to contextualize it this way for it to somewhat make sense. They can easily move past Z and "retcon" or say GT is a different continuity to support the direction they are going. It sucks and I don't like the direction Super took the franchise but considering what they set up it would be unwise to be locked down to GT since it wouldn't make sense.
It would make much more sense to put Super into its own alternative timeline.

Literally ever single character got rehashed to the post just parts of EoZ make little sense.

Super is the odd ball out, not the other content.

Yup agreed, that's how I have to view things. I really enjoy EoZ as it creates a perceived cap giving the characters a limit while enjoying times of peace until Ubb is discovered. I've always seen it as him being one of the most if not the most powerful character with alittle training and discipline.

Gt made the sin of making him pretty useless and I feel Super has done it as well...unless they make up some new nonsensical transformation or he just gains god ki or ultra instinct blah blah blah. Goku has fought stronger enemies from space/ multiverse with the main cast also most likley being much stronger then Kid Buu....So imo the EoZ needs to be changed for it to flow better with Super in mind. The characters state of mind and status will be completely different then what was presented in the original manga since they've been through a lot of changes after Kid Buu.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Is Post EoZ Content "Forbidden" Because of GT &/or EoZ serving as Toriyama's official epilogue?

Post by GokuHater » Mon May 08, 2023 5:43 pm

PrinceVegetto wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:40 pm
GokuHater wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:36 am Be it Toryiama thinking of new things as he goes, him needing longer limbs, editorial changes... Things kept changing all the time. Super does not have that energy left unfortunately. Every arc seems to be a self contained story stuck in Super limbo and while they aren't bad, they aren't also revolutionary.

Compare it to GT - while everyone is free to see it as a better series or fanfic garbage, it is anything but status quo. They seemed to experiment all the time there.
What you said lines up with Toriyama's vision for Super, which he recently said is a series that's a "casual continuation" of DB.

GT, on the other hand, is a "grand side-story".

I'm even more convinced now that the end of Super will tie into EoZ and that will be that. Toriyama seems to be perfectly content with how his manga ended.
Oh really? That's new.
Do you maybe have an interview or the conversation in which he said it? Seems quite interesting.

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Tue May 09, 2023 3:07 am

GokuHater wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:43 pm
PrinceVegetto wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:40 pm
GokuHater wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:36 am Be it Toryiama thinking of new things as he goes, him needing longer limbs, editorial changes... Things kept changing all the time. Super does not have that energy left unfortunately. Every arc seems to be a self contained story stuck in Super limbo and while they aren't bad, they aren't also revolutionary.

Compare it to GT - while everyone is free to see it as a better series or fanfic garbage, it is anything but status quo. They seemed to experiment all the time there.
What you said lines up with Toriyama's vision for Super, which he recently said is a series that's a "casual continuation" of DB.

GT, on the other hand, is a "grand side-story".

I'm even more convinced now that the end of Super will tie into EoZ and that will be that. Toriyama seems to be perfectly content with how his manga ended.
Oh really? That's new.
Do you maybe have an interview or the conversation in which he said it? Seems quite interesting.
It's from an interview for DBS Super Hero

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:52 am

Shinsa wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:15 pm
TheMikado wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:55 am
Shinsa wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:28 pm I thought it was widely known that GT is non canon/side story/different timeline?

Also with Super creating a bunch of inconsistencies I was also under the assumption that the EoZ was going to be retconned. DB as a whole is super inconsistent (no pun intended) So I assumed there was always different continuities.

For example
1.Original canon DB/DBZ
2.DB/DBZ/GT
3.DB/DBZ/Super with the assumption that EOZ will be retconned since Super creates inconsistencies.
4....the other timelines from the games that I'm no familiar with.

I don't think Toriyama puts much thought into it so for me I have to contextualize it this way for it to somewhat make sense. They can easily move past Z and "retcon" or say GT is a different continuity to support the direction they are going. It sucks and I don't like the direction Super took the franchise but considering what they set up it would be unwise to be locked down to GT since it wouldn't make sense.
It would make much more sense to put Super into its own alternative timeline.

Literally ever single character got rehashed to the post just parts of EoZ make little sense.

Super is the odd ball out, not the other content.

Yup agreed, that's how I have to view things. I really enjoy EoZ as it creates a perceived cap giving the characters a limit while enjoying times of peace until Ubb is discovered. I've always seen it as him being one of the most if not the most powerful character with alittle training and discipline.

Gt made the sin of making him pretty useless and I feel Super has done it as well...unless they make up some new nonsensical transformation or he just gains god ki or ultra instinct blah blah blah. Goku has fought stronger enemies from space/ multiverse with the main cast also most likley being much stronger then Kid Buu....So imo the EoZ needs to be changed for it to flow better with Super in mind. The characters state of mind and status will be completely different then what was presented in the original manga since they've been through a lot of changes after Kid Buu.
After all, Uub has God ki (Moro saga)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:06 pm

GT is it's own thing and does not line up with Super at all. They will probably go beyond EoZ and do a story that has nothing to do with GT. GT is view as its own thing and won't be erased because they go beyond EoZ. You can have multiple continuities you know. No different how Godzilla do it with their movies or how SNK keeps both Fatal Fury & King of Fighters in their own universe.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/