Would you like to hear again Kikuchi's score in an animated project?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Would you like to hear again Kikuchi's score in an animated project?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:57 am

Shunsuke Kikuchi's score is for Dragon Ball what John Williams is to Star Wars, its the classic soundtrack that made people fall in love with the series through its placement in all the major moments, so of course I would wholeheartedly welcome those tracks being used in a new Dragon Ball project whatever it may be.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat May 13, 2023 4:16 am

Of course, but, it doesn't mean that I would care much about it, it just wouldn't give the same vibes as hearing it in DBZ or DB 86 imo
For me, the fun about hearing these scores in DB 86 and DBZ, aside from the "it really fits" stuff and blablabla, is that there was something new about it, every 30 or 40 episodes a new score used to debut in the TV Series, and we can hear it and say "hey, starting from this episode, they used the BGM from that movie!" "Oh no, this went unused in the series!"

It's fun specially because of how well the Movie scores released during the series production were used in the episodes, til this day people recognize the Cooler movies and Android 13 movie scores as the Androids/Cell arc scores, can you understand what I say? (I really don't know if what I'm saying makes any sense XD), and you could definitely tell that his skills evolved, from the very simple electric guitar in DB 86 or DB Movie 2, to the baddas true electric guitar in DBZ Movie 12.

Now, DBZ already ended, they already have all these scores in hand (well, at least partially), now imagine, they would use these tracks in a new animated project, and...? It would be cool to hear Kikuchi music again, but it definitely would lack novelty, in a single episode they could use tracks from DB 86, then tracks from DBZ Saiyans Saga then tracks from DBZ Movie 13, it's pretty much what happened with the Nippon Ijin Taisho special and the 2008 OVA, I loved the use of Kikuchi music in these, but it definitely doesn't feel new.

I honestly prefer New composers, making new stuff, people recognized the first part of DBS score Volume 2's as the score for the Black arc, and the second part as the score for the ToP, that sounds great for me, specially because these composers can now make what Kikuchi couldn't due to time limitations, and Sumitomo definitely improved with time too, his ToP work definitely sounds better and more natural than his Beerus saga score.

Kikuchi had his moment in DB 86 and DBZ, and it was definitely worth, now may new composers make a new work as good as his ^^
Or else.....I definitely would scream like a fangirl if a new composer in the franchise intended to compose whole new tracks using Kikuchi leitmotifs :mrgreen:
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 13, 2023 11:48 am

Eh, sure, fine. I think a modernized Sagisu Shirou take on some of the pieces would be really interesting. He's toyed with new instrumentations for older pieces of music from other composers over the years, so I could only imagine how he would handle a new take on the old Kikuchi Shunsuke pieces.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat May 13, 2023 12:33 pm

Didn't Kikuchi work on Raging Blast? I know it's just a videogame OST but I'd love if some of those pieces were repurposed.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat May 13, 2023 2:29 pm

Yuji wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:33 pm Didn't Kikuchi work on Raging Blast? I know it's just a videogame OST but I'd love if some of those pieces were repurposed.
I believe that was done by takanori arima and his team. Kikuchi to my knowledge never worked on any dragon ball video games
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat May 13, 2023 3:21 pm

I believe Kikuchi has no relation to his remixed tracks in the Raging Blast series or in Kakarot, I think he never touched DB again after DBZ Movie 13.
Or else....maybe he was responsible for the remixed cues in the french dub of Movie 13? Idk.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:12 am

Forgive my lateness to this topic, but...
Yuji wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:33 pm Didn't Kikuchi work on Raging Blast? I know it's just a videogame OST but I'd love if some of those pieces were repurposed.
Naruto6583 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:29 pm I believe that was done by takanori arima and his team. Kikuchi to my knowledge never worked on any dragon ball video games
That would be correct, in fact he had never done any projects in the video game field in general. Which is understandable given how he'd been active for a long time before those were even a thing.

Another thing to mention is that the re-arrangements of Kikuchi's BGM tracks (even the more recent ones in DBZ: Kakarot), like most other DB game soundtracks in general, stand little chance of being used outside of their game contexts. They have specific sound engines, conventions, etc that they were made for. Plus they wouldn't even get commercial releases (interestingly, no DB game soundtrack besides the ones that Kenji Yamamoto worked on ever got standalone commercial releases).

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:22 pm

I think they should let new composers get a shot at this franchise instead. If they reused the Kikuchi score again I wouldn't exactly complain. I do love that old score.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:06 pm

funrush wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:22 pm I think they should let new composers get a shot at this franchise instead. If they reused the Kikuchi score again I wouldn't exactly complain. I do love that old score.
Re-arrangements of it would certainly be welcome (I mean, imagine if that's what they got Yamamoto, someone with a solid grip on production and who had the best treatment bar none when it comes to official releases, to do in Kai instead).
But they only do that for games sadly.