Reasons you want the weekly anime back.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Reasons you want the weekly anime back.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:43 pm

I was going to make this a Super topic but decided to just make a general one.

My reasons

-I'd rather watch a half hour episode than a whole movie.
-It helps the TV industry be it for adults (Toonami on Adult Swim) or kids (Pop UK) and even general audiences (Telefuturo in Paraguay)
-I really wanna see fight choreography with the sort of animation One Piece is getting. I love One Piece but BOY does it have very little choreography to it.
-I would love to see the manga storylines adapted since I am NOT a manga person.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Reasons you want the weekly anime back.

Post by Peach » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:48 pm

I don't.

Stick to movies and OVAs. The quality just wasn't there with the animation, writing, and art in the Dragon Ball Super series.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 01, 2023 3:26 am

I want more wiggle room for the staff of the animated series to come up with their own ideas.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon May 01, 2023 5:25 am

I don't want the weekly anime back. It was ugly and not planned as it should be. But ¥¥¥ are more important.

Super should definitively end but if it was to come back it should be seasonal. Movies are fine too, even if the writing is crap, the animation is at least pretty.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 01, 2023 6:00 am

I'm not eager for it to continue but they might as well adapt the manga material. If nothing else, it gives me something to watch. There are a bunch of interesting character dynamics that I feel are worth exploring.
Last edited by ABED on Mon May 01, 2023 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 01, 2023 6:06 am

I'd watch out of habit, but Dragon Ball is always fun, so in addition to having something current I can keep my promise to follow I'll at least get some enjoyment, even if its not still the same show we all grew up with.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 01, 2023 6:09 am

I now see I should have put "IF you want it back" but my threads usually die without people posting even once so I appreciate the activity.
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Mon May 01, 2023 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon May 01, 2023 6:47 am

Because the fandom was much more active back then. Episode discussion threads here would regularly get 20+ pages of replies. Meanwhile, the manga discussion threads here rarely go beyond 5 pages.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:09 am I know see I should have put "IF you want it back" but my dreads usually die without people posting even once so I appreciate the activity.

And this is obviously what I'm talking about.

The online fandom (not just this forum) used to be much more active back in 2017/18.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon May 01, 2023 9:26 am

Might be interesting to see some of the major plot points from Toyble's manga (the Daikaioshin and Oob bits in the Moro arc, Ultra Ego and Black Freeza in the Granola arc, etc.) depicted in a story that's overall executed differently.

The complaining would also be funny. Imagine if the anime comes back, and it has Yamamuro's art direction again. It adapts Broly, then Moro, then Granola, and then Super Hero, before doing anything new. Imagine the stories that would bridge them, and how characters like Kuririn might do things like holding their own against things like a Kamehameha from Goku in his Super Saiyan Blue form.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon May 01, 2023 9:39 am

Simply why not? If it's bad, the original series is always there. If it's good, then that's a nice bonus.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Mon May 01, 2023 10:35 am

Because I've always preferred watching than reading, that's probably the only reason I'd want it back.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 01, 2023 11:14 am

It would be cool to see the fight scenes be animated if they have the same style of animation that the TOP episodes had. Also, we can have the manga only characters in video games for once.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon May 01, 2023 4:31 pm

I don't. Super was definitive proof that Toriyama has lost his creative touch, or more probable, his drive. And I don't blame him.

Super's anime was a hodgepodge of recycled ideas, villains and overal lack of creative design. (Seriously, all new forms are just recolors of existing forms. How exciting). Not to mention regressive writing for the characters and storylines that felt incredibly drawn out in order to fill an episode quota. No way the ToP should have lasted a year.

While Battle of Gods (the movie) was fairly enjoyable) the series was a letdown. It's no wonder it got cancelled.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon May 01, 2023 8:02 pm

I'm also in favor of not having another Dragonball anime series. Movies and OVAs are what I feel like would work best with the series. Besides the many issues that plagued Dragonball Super, I just feel like modern Dragonball works better without the material being dragged out, with more shorter/compact stories, which can have more effort put towards. I loved Dragonball Z: Battle of Gods, Dragonball Super: Broly, and Super Hero, and while being a bit older, I also loved the 2008 JSAT Special.

I really didn't enjoy the Dragonball Super anime that much. There was a lot of obvious padding all over the place. The constant time traveling back and forth during the Future Trunks arc was one thing, but the Universe Survival arc as a whole was just not enjoyable to watch at all to me. While some of the character moments during the recruitment portion were fun, once the fighting started and the Tournament of Power really got underway, I really did not care for what was going on. It felt like a chore to watch. With the JSAT Special, Battle of Gods, and Super Hero, we had a lot more character moments, not as much of a focus on nonstop fighting and dragging things on ad-nauseam, and more of a focus on story (not as much with the 2008 Special.) It's not like I don't enjoy the fights, I do love me a good fight. The Saiyan arc and the three Tournament arcs are some of my favorites in the series. It can't just be nonstop fighting, or fighting without time to breathe or an engaging plot. The Androids/Cell arc is a great example of that in my mind of it working well. Part of my problem with Super may just come from the lack of the magic touch of Toriyama Akira. He was heavily involved with/wrote the scripts for the 2008 Special and the four Modern Era Dragonball Movies, where as with Super, he has more of a hands-off role, coming up with the general plot points and leaving the rest to Toei Animation and Toyotarō.

Whoa, didn't man to turn that into another "Super Bad" post, but yeah, I'm more in favor on OVAs and Movies. Besides what I've already stated, they're more digestible and don't require as much time to consume. Also, more specifically on OVAs, I've been a proponent of having more OVAs and TV Specials going back to around 2016, during the peak of Super. There's no reason we shouldn't have gotten an animated adaptation of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman or Chapter 16 of the Dragonball Super manga by now.

Also, it's not that I'm opposed to having longer Dragonball stories. I don't have a problem with that, as long as the story is right for one. For something like that, I'd prefer it to be in OVA form as well. It's common in the anime industry for OVAs to be multiple episodes. I wouldn't be against having multiple 30 or 60 minute OVAs to tell a story if its warranted. Though I could be convinced to being open to the possibility of Dragonball being a seasonal anime, with 13 or 26 episodes every year. That wouldn't be my first choice, but it would be better than having a weekly anime that keeps on running like the other Dragonball anime have been.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon May 01, 2023 8:20 pm

Because watching new weekly Dragon Ball is fun. It's fun to discuss a new episode, theorise about what will happen next, look forward to certain episodes just based on the staff list, seeing reaction videos to a hype moment, watching Mexican fans go crazy in 1000+ audience screenings of an episode. I never got to experience weekly Dragon Ball when the previous anime series were on TV because I was too young back then. I finally got to experience that with Super.

I hate how stagnant the series has felt these last five years. It's difficult to get excited about anything when all we get are monthly manga chapters that now consist of a retelling and 2 movies. Also, to be completely honest, these forums have been lame as hell these last few years. I don't enjoy discussing here anywhere near as much as I used to back when Super was airing.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 06, 2023 11:55 pm

After watching Today's episode of One Piece I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the weekly anime back. I know I know movie blah blah blah but seeing this hype and quality in a weekly anime makes my heart RACE.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 07, 2023 5:11 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:55 pm After watching Today's episode of One Piece I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the weekly anime back. I know I know movie blah blah blah but seeing this hype and quality in a weekly anime makes my heart RACE.
What is that argument even supposed to mean anyway? Anime and movie are absolutely not mutually-exclusive, One Piece and MHA are proof of that. They have movies along with a running anime series.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun May 07, 2023 5:19 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:20 pm Because watching new weekly Dragon Ball is fun. It's fun to discuss a new episode, theorise about what will happen next, look forward to certain episodes just based on the staff list, seeing reaction videos to a hype moment, watching Mexican fans go crazy in 1000+ audience screenings of an episode. I never got to experience weekly Dragon Ball when the previous anime series were on TV because I was too young back then. I finally got to experience that with Super.

I hate how stagnant the series has felt these last five years. It's difficult to get excited about anything when all we get are monthly manga chapters that now consist of a retelling and 2 movies. Also, to be completely honest, these forums have been lame as hell these last few years. I don't enjoy discussing here anywhere near as much as I used to back when Super was airing.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:55 pm After watching Today's episode of One Piece I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the weekly anime back. I know I know movie blah blah blah but seeing this hype and quality in a weekly anime makes my heart RACE.
I'm sorry, but both of these statements amount to "I want the weekly anime back just for the sake of having a weekly anime because I miss the process of consuming a weekly anime", and I just don't think that's a compelling reason to return this franchise to a weekly format; especially when pacing was one of Super's biggest issues.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 5:34 am

That is good and all but this thread is not about about you judging other people's reasons to begin with.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun May 07, 2023 5:41 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:34 am That is good and all but this thread is not about about you judging other people's reasons to begin with.
I think it's fair to critique people's reasons for wanting it back when the thread is specifically soliciting reasons why people want it back. If we can't do that, then the thread is nothing more than a circle-jerk for people who want the TV series back.