Would you prefer replacing the VAs or having AI voices of them?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Would you prefer replacing the VAs or having AI voices of them?

Post by TheRed259 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:18 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmzhH3X_V3E

I recently saw this and it doesn't sound that bad. It's quite decent to be honest. And I have a feeling that many people in the future will prefer hearing something like this rather than having other voice actors playing Goku, Vegeta or any other character.

What would you like to see in the future? Replacing the VAs with new ones or having AI voices of the old ones?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you prefer replacing the VAs or having AI voices of them?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 7:04 am

No this is literally putting them out of a job.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun May 07, 2023 7:33 am

I can totally see Toei going this route so they don't have to deal with recasting Goku when Nozawa passes. They shouldn't, but they'd likely rather take the path of least resistance than deal with that headache.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Sun May 07, 2023 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 7:35 am

I really hope they dont do that. It would be the literal worst.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 07, 2023 8:29 am

Recast, just like they shouldn't use CG to recreate actors who have died. Just recast with a younger actor.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 07, 2023 9:08 am

Just use new actors, holy shit. I'm here for the human connection, a computer's soulless recreation of a dead actor.

What the fuck is it with geeks refusing to accept change?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 9:24 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:08 am Just use new actors, holy shit. I'm here for the human connection, a computer's soulless recreation of a dead actor.

This would actually BE a change but one for the worse.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun May 07, 2023 9:28 am

I'd rather human voice actors but developing AI technology could be useful for fan-creators.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 07, 2023 9:39 am

TheRed259 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:18 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmzhH3X_V3E

I recently saw this and it doesn't sound that bad. It's quite decent to be honest. And I have a feeling that many people in the future will prefer hearing something like this rather than having other voice actors playing Goku, Vegeta or any other character.

What would you like to see in the future? Replacing the VAs with new ones or having AI voices of the old ones?
It's lifeless...

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 07, 2023 9:41 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:24 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:08 am Just use new actors, holy shit. I'm here for the human connection, a computer's soulless recreation of a dead actor.

This would actually BE a change but one for the worse.
She means refusing a recast by just having AI of deceased voice actors instead of actual replacements. Which isn't accepting change.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 9:50 am

I know but it is still a change, I get what she really meant though.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 07, 2023 10:39 am

Recasting the voices. I'd rather have a flawed, but sincere new take on a character than a perfect, soulless recreation of the voice as-is.

Alden Ehrenreich didn't sound and feel EXACTLY like Harrison Ford's Han Solo but he did his best to do the character justice while also making it his own.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Sun May 07, 2023 12:03 pm

I hate the current AI discourse, because a lot of people seem to forget that a machine is unable to think or feel, nothing that they create comes from a heart. Thankfully, it seems most people here at Kanzenshuu do agree with that sentiment.

A poorly directed actor is still leagues better than a "perfect" AI, because the flaws the machine has are inherent to what it is, for example, drawings generated on AI are looking a lot better now than they did one year ago, but that's just because they have more data, they still have the same problems of not being able to actually create, you can only create an image as unique as its database allows, there are a lot of limitations that comes with this.

No matter how much the AI seems to be improving, it's only getting better at replicating human creation, it is not actually getting better at creating anything, it's just doing the exact same thing with more data, which means it's literally useless on its own. AI needs actual work of humans to generate anything.

Also, there is the fact that it is incredibly unethical to generate stuff with AI to use because you're just taking advantage of the work of other people for your own proffit (And almost always it is going to be without their consent). The last thing I want is corporations getting even more ways of taking advantage of creators. I can accept a new Goku voice, but if they ever try to replace it with a machine, then I'll be forced to join Vegeta with his technophobia
she/they.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 07, 2023 1:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:39 am Recasting the voices. I'd rather have a flawed, but sincere new take on a character than a perfect, soulless recreation of the voice as-is.

Alden Ehrenreich didn't sound and feel EXACTLY like Harrison Ford's Han Solo but he did his best to do the character justice while also making it his own.
My go to example would be Ewan McGregor who had to play an iconic part played by an iconic actor and turned in a performance that may actually exceed, or at the very least match his predecessor's performance. He's successfully able to create something that's reminiscent of the original performance without being a carbon copy. Alden doesn't do that. He's okay, but it doesn't feel like Han Solo.

I get your point, though.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun May 07, 2023 2:50 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:02 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:39 am Recasting the voices. I'd rather have a flawed, but sincere new take on a character than a perfect, soulless recreation of the voice as-is.

My go to example would be Ewan McGregor who had to play an iconic part played by an iconic actor and turned in a performance that may actually exceed, or at the very least match his predecessor's performance. He's successfully able to create something that's reminiscent of the original performance without being a carbon copy. Alden doesn't do that. He's okay, but it doesn't feel like Han Solo.

I get your point, though.
Yes, i feel that McGregor overall captured the essence of Alec Guiness' performance from the original trilogy in his own take for the prequels and both feel like they flow together while not feeling like a total emulation, while Ehrenreich's Han in "Solo" is much more in the other direction along the lines of something like Chris Pine's Kirk in the reboot/Kelvin-verse Star Trek films. A performance that's more trying to have the character be made his own than emulating, because the latter wasn't really going for trying to match Bill Shatner's take from the OG Trek series and films in terms of character and portrayal therein.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun May 07, 2023 4:40 pm

If the AI is good enough, I'd choose that option since existing recastings have been hit (Like Bulma's) to (very) miss. (Satan and the other Gori roles)

Plus, it would probably make TOEI more money in the long run 😊

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun May 07, 2023 5:09 pm

No AI voices please. I'll settle for human voices being replaced every generation.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sun May 07, 2023 5:25 pm

I'd prefer real voice actors and I think that it would be nice if they could give other voice actors a chance to shine.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Mon May 08, 2023 2:14 am

Human voices, but have them replicate the original VA as close as possible.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 08, 2023 9:04 am

Civic wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:14 am Human voices, but have them replicate the original VA as close as possible.
https://youtu.be/0JgTyU94pGo