The OG Toei Dragon Ball movie trilogy

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

The OG Toei Dragon Ball movie trilogy

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 08, 2023 11:42 pm

People don’t talk about them all that much compared to later Z movies, or even the 10th anniversary film, but what do people think of the first three Dragon Ball films from the 1980s that loosely retold the first few arcs of the manga?

Personally, I think they’re a fun little reimagining of the story, and that it would’ve been interesting to see how they would’ve handled Piccolo Damiao or even the DBZ material.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The OG Toei Dragon Ball movie trilogy

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue May 09, 2023 1:08 am

I don't really care about the first movie but the second and third are great. The second's tiny cast (limited to the Pilaf cast plus Krillin), 80s feeling, and unique setting all make for a good movie, and the third movie is nice for being one of the exceedingly few times in the entire franchise that Chaozu matters at all. Criminal to have Yamcha lose in the quarter-finals, though. Zero for four. This should have been used as an opportunity to have him advance to the semi-finals at least once.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 09, 2023 4:44 am

I love the animation in these movies. The fight against the Terminator looking robot was amazing.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue May 09, 2023 6:59 am

The first movie is decent enough but suffers somewhat from just being the first arc compressed into 50 minutes with the Pansy plot shoved in. The second one is a lot of fun and better than most of the Z movies. The third one is a bit less coherent than the other two but not a bad time.