Your favourite Goku quote

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Your favourite Goku quote

Post by Yuji » Tue May 09, 2023 9:26 am

Dragon Ball is conducting a poll on the fandom's favourite Goku quote and apparently the most voted will be turned into merch. I thought this could be a good way to talk about our favourite quotes from our protagonist.

For those wanting to participate: https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1814.html

If I remember correctly, Nozawa's favourite quotes are "I'll never forgive you" (to Freeza) and "I'm hungry."

I voted for "They died because of it." Always loved that line and I thought "I was born on Earth, but I'm a Saiyan too" and the other popular lines probably already have tons of merch.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Your favourite Goku quote

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue May 09, 2023 10:14 am

"Was not having peepee and balls supposed to be a secret?"

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 am

“I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!”

I'm not tickets, My name's Goku! It's a pleasure to meet you miss! Bye!

I love Kid Goku.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:28 am

I will forever love that conversation Goku has with Krillin about letting Vegeta go. Many misunderstand this scene and I cant say I dont myself but it shows the many sides of Goku, and what makes him such a beloved and complex character.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 09, 2023 10:33 am

"Baka yarou!" / "Stupid fucker!"

There's just something so dark about the moment that Son Gokuu—having given Freeza chance-after-chance—finally snaps and just kills Freeza (until Toriyama decides to unceremoniously revive him). I really enjoyed passion of the moment, the art and in the Dragon Ball Z (1989) animated series the performance of Nozawa Masako. The background music—taken from Dragon Ball Movie #7—is so dramatic and elevates the scene so much. I absolutely love how such a simple line is elevated on so many levels. It's hard not to understand just how fed-up Son Gokuu is by the end of it all.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:42 am

I didnt know Julie was from anime labs lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue May 09, 2023 10:43 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:33 am "Baka yarou!" / "Stupid fucker!"

There's just something so dark about the moment that Son Gokuu—having given Freeza chance-after-chance—finally snaps and just kills Freeza (until Toriyama decides to unceremoniously revive him). I really enjoyed passion of the moment, the art and in the Dragon Ball Z (1989) animated series the performance of Nozawa Masako. The background music—taken from Dragon Ball Movie #7—is so dramatic and elevates the scene so much. I absolutely love how such a simple line is elevated on so many levels. It's hard not to understand just how fed-up Son Gokuu is by the end of it all.
I love that line too, but somehow I prefer the Kai version. Despite Nozawa otherwise kinda phoning it in during Kai, the voice crack during the scream just adds to the feeling that Goku's just exhausted at this point.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed May 10, 2023 6:07 pm

Hard to pick one. One of my favorites though would be when Goku waits for Frieza to power-up to 100% and shouts to King Kai in anger that he's going to avenge Kuririn as he died twice and not even dragon balls could ever bring him back. Of course later it was revealed that Porunga can do it, but back then this scene was very emotional.

Other speeches worth mentioning:
-Goku's speech during Kaioken X20 against Frieza about how he has to win for future of Chichi, Gohan and others
-Goku's entire speech to Buu before killing him
-Goku's speech to Omega Shenron when he appears with genki dama and says he can't die until he kills him
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:28 am I will forever love that conversation Goku has with Krillin about letting Vegeta go. Many misunderstand this scene and I cant say I dont myself but it shows the many sides of Goku, and what makes him such a beloved and complex character.
Also this ^
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 10, 2023 9:44 pm

Buu? Sounds like a fart.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu May 11, 2023 10:00 am

I'm torn between "OH WELL" when he realizes he has lost his tail, and yelling PREPARE TO DIE to a fucking tree. An already cut down tree.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu May 11, 2023 10:18 am

My two favorites are probably:

"Stay outta this, Kami-sama!!! The outcome o' th' match hasn't been decided yet!! Don't interfere or they're gonna disqualify me!"
- Chapter 188

"I'm waiting for you to reach full power, Freeza. I want to beat you while you're at your best... so you'll have no regrets as a warrior. You wanted it this way, didn't you? Or else you would've fired at the planet again and that would've been it."
- Chapter 321

MonkeyMaster

Post by MonkeyMaster » Thu May 11, 2023 5:43 pm

From episode 125 of DBZ, AKA the "driving episode":

Driving instructor: Try stepping on the accelerator.

Goku: Akuseru? No, I took a bath before I came.

Driving instructor: No, not asekusai [smells of sweat], the accelerator!

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Thu May 11, 2023 6:35 pm

Thanks for sharing the link , Amigo.

My favorite quote from goku would be: she is not that young but still very attractive

when offering a picture of Bulma to the old Kai

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Fri May 12, 2023 5:15 pm

paraphrasing but "My brain hurts when I think too much :]" from the dub

normally I feel like I wouldn't like a line like that but the delivery is just so adorable
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Y2_O3

Post by Y2_O3 » Thu May 18, 2023 9:44 am

My favourite Goku quote is:
...Both.
When he is asked "This thing's even stronger than Freeza. Are you scared by that? Or excited?"

Facing a strong threat, it is normal to feel fear;
Someone can overcome fear and turn pressure into motivation, which is common, too;
Only a very few people can maintain BOTH of these attitudes at the same time. Very rare.
Therefore, behind Goku's words, there is a third state of mind: equanimity, beyond his emotion. He can maintain a balance among these states.

Gohan is a typical negative example. Gohan only has one option:
  • Extreme fear (which leads to extreme anger)
  • Extreme excitement
  • Extreme calmness
Once he enters one of these emotions, he cannot control himself, so it is difficult for him to harness his full power at will, and he also finds it difficult to maintain his own strength.
The same goes for Cell. Even though he has all the cells and better talents, he cannot learn to face setbacks and challenges like Goku. And as for Vegeta, it goes without saying.

The basketball legendary coach, John Wooden, defines success this way:
Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.
Standing at the peak is easy, staying in the valley is difficult; facing enemies is easy, facing oneself is difficult; achieving external success and victory is easy, achieving peace of mind is difficult. That's why I like Goku's "BOTH" so much, and I believe, Krillin is the same.
Don't look at people through a scouter.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Thu May 18, 2023 3:37 pm

I have a quote in mind that I think not many people think about but for some reason I really like the moment between Goku and Majin Vegeta fight.
I don't recall the line exactly but after Vegeta explains that he purposely let himself under Babidis spell, is now a heartless warrior and doesn't care about Bulma' and Trunks, Goku gives him something of "oh really, Vegeta?" with that look.

This is Goku at his finest, showing how he now understands his rival and emotions in general.
Proving he never was a moron.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu May 18, 2023 5:27 pm

Bulma: "Don't talk as if I know you!"
Bulma: "I'm a Tuffle and you're dirty, dusty Saiyan!"
Bulma: *grins evilly, she's brainwashed* "You can just go to HELL!"
Goku: *concerned* "Bulma..."
Goku" *looks at Baby, Baby is smilling like a devil*
Goku: *is angry but his voice is calm, looks at Baby* "You're going to pay dearly for all of this."

edit: but I've chosen KURIRIN NO KOTOKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 20, 2023 12:09 pm

Goku: "You fought hard... all by yourself... I hope you get reincarnated as a good guy... so I can fight you one-on-one. I'll be training... and waiting... til then!"
- Chapter 516

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat May 20, 2023 1:27 pm

"You have a weakness. Everything does!"

From Wrath of the Dragon. I like Superman Goku personally.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat May 20, 2023 6:55 pm

"I saw an opening that screamed Attack....so, I did...HA!"