Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 93 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 93 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 09, 2023 1:33 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 93

パン誘拐作戦
Pan Yūkai Sakusen
The Plan to Kidnap Pan (or "Operation: Kidnap Pan")

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: May 19, 2023
Publication: V-Jump, July 2023 Issue
Cost: ¥650

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: May 18, 2023 (timed to the JP midnight-on-May-19th release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

FIRST OFFICIAL TEASE:
The "Weekly Dragon Ball News" segment posted on the Dragon Ball Official Website on 08 May 2023 featured Victory Uchida (Shueisha employee/mascot, and editor for the Dragon Ball Super manga working alongside Toyotaro and Akira Toriyama) displaying a tease for the upcoming drafts on screen, which will (tentatively) be shared on May 12.

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 93 were posted on May 12 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 93. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads so many years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.

Q: I want to learn more about what's going on with this manga's production!

A: Check out Episode #0489 of our podcast for an extreme deep-dive (with all the receipts you can eat!) into the production of the manga, including all of the ways that Toyotaro, Akira Toriyama, and Victory Uchida each individually contribute to it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 93 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue May 09, 2023 5:23 pm

Oh so they did release something for Goku Day. Nice.

My prediction: This chapter will be dedicated to exposition on Beerus' planet. We just go back to Earth to see Piccolo and Bulma getting their wishes. Maybe Piccolo going to the RRA too and leaving with the big guy to get Pan.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue May 09, 2023 5:25 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:23 pm Oh so they did release something for Goku Day. Nice.

My prediction: This chapter will be dedicated to exposition on Beerus' planet. We just go back to Earth to see Piccolo and Bulma getting their wishes. Maybe Piccolo going to the RRA too and leaving with the big guy to get Pan.
I think we'll get all the way to Gohan vs Gamma 1 this chapter, probably ending with his ultimate transformation. I don't think I can stomach the pacing if we don't start the Gamma fights this month at least.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed May 10, 2023 10:40 am

I think this one ends with Gohan starting to fight Gamma. At best I think he'll turn Ultimate as a cliffhanger, but I'm not too confident we'll get that far. I have a feeling we'll get at most Gohan going to the RR base, and all of his progress left for june.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed May 10, 2023 2:13 pm

If they don't change the meditation scene, this manga and Dragon Ball Super as a whole are pretty much dead to me.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed May 10, 2023 2:24 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:13 pm If they don't change the meditation scene, this manga and Dragon Ball Super as a whole are pretty much dead to me.

I don't expect Toyotaro to change it since he's been pretty faithful thus far, but he really should. Not only is it out of character for Goku, but the scene also implies Vegeta is still stuck on Ultra Instinct when we know at this point he's followed a different path.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed May 10, 2023 2:51 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:13 pm If they don't change the meditation scene, this manga and Dragon Ball Super as a whole are pretty much dead to me.

You don't need to go that back in time, the movie released in june, same month Toyo had Goku meditate mid-fight in order to reach TUI. So, if nothing is changed, DBS would not only be disconnected from the original manga, but also from DBS itself, from its own previous arc :crazy:

A short explanation to that line might be enough.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed May 10, 2023 3:35 pm

The manga should have Goku talk down on meditation even harder.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed May 10, 2023 4:06 pm

Cipher wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:35 pm The manga should have Goku talk down on meditation even harder.
Could this be due to the fact that Goku forgot his spiritual side of his training up to the TOP?

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed May 10, 2023 4:31 pm

The meditation thing was just a joke. A painfully unfunny joke, but still a joke. He’s still meditating when he has to. Even in-universe I think Goku was just talking Vegeta into sparring with him.
Yuji wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:25 pm I think we'll get all the way to Gohan vs Gamma 1 this chapter, probably ending with his ultimate transformation. I don't think I can stomach the pacing if we don't start the Gamma fights this month at least.
I thought that at first, but it’s too much for just 1 chapter. A lot of stuff happens on Beerus’ planet, and then there’s the wishes, Piccolo going to the HQ again to kidnap Pan, using Pan as bait for Gohan… I don’t think we’ll have any fighting besides the rest of Goku vs Broly (which will just be Goku getting afraid of Broly and quitting).

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed May 10, 2023 4:43 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:31 pm The meditation thing was just a joke. A painfully unfunny joke, but still a joke. He’s still meditating when he has to. Even in-universe I think Goku was just talking Vegeta into sparring with him.
I think it's fine to interpret this moment in isolation as Goku being playful and doing a little trolling, but the issue stems from the fact that we've had so many clueless/dumb Goku moments in Super that he's starting to seem like an amateur. At a certain point your suspension of disbelief starts breaking and you can't headcanon your way out of it.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed May 10, 2023 11:26 pm

I think it had more to do with Goku actually questioning why Vegeta is meditating as the reason for him saying it's not training. Between he and Vegeta only the prince knew about Jiren's battle tactic. This is why after Vegeta & Whis explains to Goku his reason for meditating he agrees. More to do with ignorance of justification than clowning the actual method.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu May 11, 2023 3:17 pm

Yuji wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:24 pm

I don't expect Toyotaro to change it since he's been pretty faithful thus far, but he really should. Not only is it out of character for Goku, but the scene also implies Vegeta is still stuck on Ultra Instinct when we know at this point he's followed a different path.
Keep in mind: Superhero the movie more than likely was far into production by the time the Granolah arc was starting.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu May 11, 2023 4:05 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:17 pm
Yuji wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:24 pm

Keep in mind: Superhero the movie more than likely was far into production by the time the Granolah arc was starting.
Yes, I don't blame the movie script for not following the manga as we know both were written at the same time, but I think this adaptation should prove to be an opportunity to iron things out between the two stories and get rid of any inconsistencies.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu May 11, 2023 5:09 pm

Goku just shat on traditional martial art and said "MMA better lol" :lol:

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri May 12, 2023 12:44 am

Well they changed the meditation line

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Fri May 12, 2023 1:07 am

Good to see Toyotarou using the chance to give Broly a proper introduction with the start of the future Vol. 22.
(I know he has appeared before in chapter 42, an in-between page in Vol. 9, bonus pages in Vol. 11).

And yes, the meditation line seems hugely improved, but the conversation is not done yet.
Also I expect they more go into why Broly is on Beerus' Planet.

Overall, very promising so far :D

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri May 12, 2023 4:35 am

Pleasantly surprised that the meditation line was changed into something that makes more sense while keeping Goku's playful teasing as originally intended.

Couldn't they get Toyotaro as a consultant for the anime and movies? :lol:

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri May 12, 2023 9:00 am

Holy shit, that is a vast improvement. Keeps the goofy tone, but drops the mischaracterization. Very nice.

I'm still not convinced that Toriyama actually wrote the original meditation line, or much of anything on Beerus's planet. That's not to say he absolutely didn't, but there's a wealth of things in that whole scene from dialogue to comedic style to characterization etc. that feels so off and out of sync with not only the rest of the film but Toriyama's writing in general. Either his contribution to that part was minimal (which makes sense, given how disconnected it is from the movie's plot) or his effort was. With that said, Vegeta's meditation in itself was always a nice touch.

Cool Broly recap too.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri May 12, 2023 10:17 am

Ok so they will clear up some stuff here and there. First time I’m actually hyped with this movie adaptation. It’s just what I wanted: Extended scenes and polished dialogue that doesn’t dance around Moro and Granolah.