Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 93 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

picc
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 93 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by picc » Thu May 18, 2023 3:01 pm

We really just got a movie recap during a movie recap. Then almost nothing happened the rest of the way.

*sigh*
Planet Namek Bred

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Thu May 18, 2023 4:00 pm

Probably some of the worst manga fight scene choreography I've ever seen.

Glad they altered the meditation line to make Goku a bit less stupid, but then of course Toyotarou found new and bold ways for it to be even stupider than it was before as now Broly apparently fights with a "relaxed spirit" :lol:

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Thu May 18, 2023 4:45 pm

Can someone wake me up at the end of the year when Frieza Black gets going?

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu May 18, 2023 6:24 pm

So i guess Goku scolding super saiyan grade 3 isn't a thing anymore god i hate how the manga writes GokuImage
Mostly active on discord.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu May 18, 2023 9:02 pm

No way we got a retelling within a retelling. :lol:

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu May 18, 2023 11:33 pm

So we now have two film retellings: Brolly film and Super Hero :lol:

Not much to say here, I just think it's funny that the manga is adding its own content to the story of the animation now rather than vice versa, which was how the original run of DB went.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri May 19, 2023 1:01 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:23 pm Oh so they did release something for Goku Day. Nice.

My prediction: This chapter will be dedicated to exposition on Beerus' planet. We just go back to Earth to see Piccolo and Bulma getting their wishes. Maybe Piccolo going to the RRA too and leaving with the big guy to get Pan.
Wow man nice prediction!

The vegeta character development was enough for me to carry this chapter through all the retelling. I can't remember a time he's actually reflected on his past losses and thought about what can he do differently. I can seldom think of a time he reflected at all on past losses. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri May 19, 2023 1:45 am

This chapter was bad. It’s sad because so far I was really enjoying the adaptation of this arc.

Yet this time around Toyotaro felt the need to:

- Change Broly’s movie making it very confusing what exactly happened there in the manga
- Make Goku still dumb despite “fixing” the meditation line. The movie implied that Jiren had some special skill, and Jiren only, and that made perfect sense. Now it turns out that even Broly had that skill? And Goku seems even more clueless and amateurish than in the movie
- Dende upgrades Shenron off screen for some reason
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri May 19, 2023 7:15 am

People are reading way too much into the Broly recap if they think it's trying to imply events happened differently in the manga. Story beats are depicted the same as in the film; Goku and Vegeta still look like they start out taking turns in the fight. The main difference is in clothing/appearance at points, but this is something that's never been consistent between Toyotaro's own depictions of the movie. He's just drawing the CliffsNotes version.

Where this chapter actually falls short, as was mentioned, is grouping Broly, Moro, Gas and Freeza in with Jiren's relaxed fighting style. The problem isn't only that it makes no sense for certain characters (Broly being the biggest sore thumb here) but mainly that it obfuscates some of Jiren's own uniqueness. I'll assume it's just an awkward oversight from Toyotaro in a misguided attempt to acknowledge continuity.

Otherwise, this continues to be a faithful adaptation of Super Hero with minor differences and additions. Everything I liked and didn't like about the movie is here, although the framing of specific scenes is noticeably inferior. Its biggest fault is that most of it covers a portion of the film I wasn't particularly keen on, and that's no fault of the manga specifically.

My favorite part of this chapter is the Oracle Fish.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Fri May 19, 2023 8:05 am

nato25 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:01 am
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:23 pm Oh so they did release something for Goku Day. Nice.

My prediction: This chapter will be dedicated to exposition on Beerus' planet. We just go back to Earth to see Piccolo and Bulma getting their wishes. Maybe Piccolo going to the RRA too and leaving with the big guy to get Pan.
Wow man nice prediction!

The vegeta character development was enough for me to carry this chapter through all the retelling. I can't remember a time he's actually reflected on his past losses and thought about what can he do differently. I can seldom think of a time he reflected at all on past losses. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
It was anime filler(I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) but Vegeta after his fight with 18 did a lot of reflecting and came to same conclusion as Goku about advancing SSJ. Also in both manga and anime Vegeta reflected on his fight with Earthlings and that's how he adapted to Ki Searching and actually started to train for the first time.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri May 19, 2023 9:49 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:15 am People are reading way too much into the Broly recap if they think it's trying to imply events happened differently in the manga. Story beats are depicted the same as in the film; Goku and Vegeta still look like they start out taking turns in the fight. The main difference is in clothing/appearance at points, but this is something that's never been consistent between Toyotaro's own depictions of the movie. He's just drawing the CliffsNotes version.

Where this chapter actually falls short, as was mentioned, is grouping Broly, Moro, Gas and Freeza in with Jiren's relaxed fighting style. The problem isn't only that it makes no sense for certain characters (Broly being the biggest sore thumb here) but mainly that it obfuscates some of Jiren's own uniqueness. I'll assume it's just an awkward oversight from Toyotaro in a misguided attempt to acknowledge continuity.

Otherwise, this continues to be a faithful adaptation of Super Hero with minor differences and additions. Everything I liked and didn't like about the movie is here, although the framing of specific scenes is noticeably inferior. Its biggest fault is that most of it covers a portion of the film I wasn't particularly keen on, and that's no fault of the manga specifically.

My favorite part of this chapter is the Oracle Fish.

Nah Jiren in the manga doesn't seem to be anyone special like in the anime, in the manga Jiren wasn't even seen meditating and throughout the manga tournament he fought Goku, Hit and Vegeta. This uniqueness of Jiren exists in the anime because in the manga itself Jiren is not distinguished by anything more than strength.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri May 19, 2023 10:49 am

I was defending manga's Goku, that he's not that stupid as his anime counterpart, but now... I'm not sure. They have such a hard-on for Goku to be stupid. Even Toriyama is forcing it, because he's the one responsible for that meditation thing in the movie.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri May 19, 2023 11:21 am

The gr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:24 pm So i guess Goku scolding super saiyan grade 3 isn't a thing anymore god i hate how the manga writes GokuImage
I could swear Goku said the same thing to Vegeta when he left the Room of Spirit and Time for the first time. Super Saiyan Full Power was basically the result of that principle. Like, it almost seems to be nod to that scene, as if Vegeta is getting his revenge for being scolded.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri May 19, 2023 11:55 am

I wouldn’t call this a “recap inside of recap”. They’re not recapping Super Hero, it’s a full on adaptation/retelling. Recaps tend to be shorter.
The Monkey King wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:00 pm Probably some of the worst manga fight scene choreography I've ever seen.
Why? The scene with the cyclone and Vegeta cutting the tree in half were cool. Thought it seems like Vegeta has an upperhand from the start instead of them being equals all the day…
Trouser wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:49 am I was defending manga's Goku, that he's not that stupid as his anime counterpart, but now... I'm not sure. They have such a hard-on for Goku to be stupid. Even Toriyama is forcing it, because he's the one responsible for that meditation thing in the movie.
They always make Goku stupid somehow. The FT Saga avoided the “I forgot the senzus” cringe, but had Goku mistake the Mafuba seal for a brothel coupon. Him saying he missed Gohan’s birth was even worse than the kissing scene.

But the anime takes the cake for that Goku vs Beerus disguised as Monaka fiasco. That episode managed to be as cringe as all of the show’s sex jokes combined.
Alkiser wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:49 am Nah Jiren in the manga doesn't seem to be anyone special like in the anime, in the manga Jiren wasn't even seen meditating and throughout the manga tournament he fought Goku, Hit and Vegeta. This uniqueness of Jiren exists in the anime because in the manga itself Jiren is not distinguished by anything more than strength.
Manga Jiren has some scenes where he talks about never wasting a single movement. They never flat out say “Jiren has the biggest Ki ever” like in the anime, which made more sense with the movie.
ATA wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:05 am It was anime filler(I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) but Vegeta after his fight with 18 did a lot of reflecting and came to same conclusion as Goku about advancing SSJ. Also in both manga and anime Vegeta reflected on his fight with Earthlings and that's how he adapted to Ki Searching and actually started to train for the first time.
That was in the manga too.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Fri May 19, 2023 11:56 am

=
Hugo Boss wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:21 am
The gr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:24 pm So i guess Goku scolding super saiyan grade 3 isn't a thing anymore god i hate how the manga writes GokuImage
I could swear Goku said the same thing to Vegeta when he left the Room of Spirit and Time for the first time. Super Saiyan Full Power was basically the result of that principle. Like, it almost seems to be nod to that scene, as if Vegeta is getting his revenge for being scolded.

This not even including Korin The Cat, Mr.Popo and Kami, King Kai, and Master Roshi(in the manga) teaching him this.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Fri May 19, 2023 11:57 am

So Broly is super relaxed LOL... And UI isn't...

Anyway does this chapter confirm that Guru is doing the same as Elder Kai

Because Piccolo used Shenron for it mentioned the Guru ability instead of using the Elder Kai method.

So what actually is the difference between the two methods? And does that mean Elder Guru is > Elder Kai because it doesn't take hours

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri May 19, 2023 12:06 pm

Arguably Manga Goku already digressed in the ToP arc, then he had to be reminded of all he learned to get back on track.
Honestly Goku was already contradicting himself in the Boo Arc. SSJ3 goes against his principles and behold he failed using that form.

Unfortunately Goku, no matter the medium, has stopped. The character has everything given to him on a plate without earning it. It has no goals besides the next punch.

To make matters worse, the character is dumbed down for laughs or to make others look good. Like how it happened here.

Goku is very much like Dragon Ball at this juncture: it doesn't move forward, it flops around aimlessly.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri May 19, 2023 12:33 pm

LightBing wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:06 pm Arguably Manga Goku already digressed in the ToP arc, then he had to be reminded of all he learned to get back on track.
There's a difference between intentionally showing a character has forgotten lessons from a decade ago in-universe because the kind of enemies he fights forced him to shift his focusz, and the author just forgetting about the themes of the previous three story arcs.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri May 19, 2023 12:42 pm

This arc will take 20,000 years to be done with.
The predictions on the first page had a few of us saying yeah, we'll get to see Gohan fight or about to fight in this one, at least the cliffhanger will be it... lol not even close. The new Black Freeza arc will debut in 2030.

I do wonder what's the point behind all of this, from their perspective. I mean, wouldn't the audience be slightly moving away from this for a while? and A WHILE actually being a big chunk of the year. it's like those sitcom episodes where they recap old situations, skipping this is a no-brainer.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Fri May 19, 2023 1:09 pm

ATA wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:56 am =
Hugo Boss wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:21 am

This not even including Korin The Cat, Mr.Popo and Kami, King Kai, and Master Roshi(in the manga) teaching him this.
The context of all this is quite different

In one case it's about molding and adapting a super saiyan body, and in the other it's simply training without much purpose without even tiring his body too much because it's simple friendly sparring with Broly and then Vegeta and not catcalling himself ussj in a chamber with 10 times the gravity.